GT4 demo hands-on pics *56k warning*

  • Thread starter Thread starter LegacySTI
  • 156 comments
  • 15,080 views
S4A
Japanese models actually had functioning lights behind those lenses; export cars (such as those here in the USA) did not.

Odd!

Well being that my RX7 was a US car, I have no other choice but to claim blind ignorance :dunce:
 
8400RPM, I'm pretty sure that Nurburgring experience is pretty doggone unreal. I've seen pictures of the Falken Skyline racing around in GT4 at the Nurburgring Nords. I've seen a highly inexperienced dude racing the Fina McLaren F1 around Nurburgring Nords in an online video (is that video still available? If so, if you're McLaren fans, be ready to rant at the driver who drove the F1 horribly). 8400RPM, compare GT4's physics to GT3's physics.
 
RoadBeef
Odd!

Well being that my RX7 was a US car, I have no other choice but to claim blind ignorance :dunce:
It was still an interesting remark Roadbeef :)
 
I want to play this demo soon, but it´s coming so slow. :(

SEED people, SEED!
 
JohnBM01
8400RPM, I'm pretty sure that Nurburgring experience is pretty doggone unreal. I've seen pictures of the Falken Skyline racing around in GT4 at the Nurburgring Nords. I've seen a highly inexperienced dude racing the Fina McLaren F1 around Nurburgring Nords in an online video (is that video still available? If so, if you're McLaren fans, be ready to rant at the driver who drove the F1 horribly). 8400RPM, compare GT4's physics to GT3's physics.

The Nur track is simply incredibly fun and challenging. it's my Fav track
 
so where can I obtain this demo, specifically. Is it legal?
 
kinigitt
so where can I obtain this demo, specifically. Is it legal?

You cannot download it legally but if you search in the bittorent universe you will find it.
 
Well, didn't think I'd ever be posting in a thread like this one, but I am pleased to say that I have aquired this demo and had my original V2 PS2 re-lasered and chipped. It's good to see the old girl (purchased on release night at 12:01 am) running again with her new pacemaker.

The demo is fun, but the time limit is digital pain. Photo mode is very cool - definately thing thing for us photo buffs. I'm going to try using my new Canon IP5000 photo printer tonight, just to see if by some miracle it'll print. Gonna have to hook up the DFPro too, as the DS is really hard to control properly.
 
Blasting round the nurb in the Falken GT-R is awesome. The car is much more difficult to drive than the BMW 120 Series (as it should be). You can't just mash the brake and chuck the car into a corner anymore - otherwise you'll end up spearing off the track and into a wild spin.

Driving the Falken GT-R down the hill through a long left hander, I sqeezed the brake toward the bottom of the hill to slow for the tightening left hander up the hill. The car was carrying some sideways momentum at the time so I had a little opposite lock on. The car bottoms out at the lowest part of the track - and snaps back towards the right. Before I know it I'm spearing off into the barrier which induces and blurred spin from all the walls I'm bouncing off. Seems to take forever to stop spinning on the grass and come to a halt. And I'm left sitting there thinking WTF happened?!? It was so fast!

Yes, you'll have to be on your toes to keep the Falken GT-R on the Nurb on the black stuff. Maybe it's because the car is so much faster than the others in the demo. Maybe it's because the Nurb has so many little deviations in track elevation. Maybe it's the new GT4 physics. But it's more likely a combination of all three.

The other road cars demonstrate a much more forgiving and softer driving experience. The RX7 is a joy to drive and you can link together several smooth slides/drifts through the esses on the Nurb with relative ease. (I just wish you could turn the TC off!!!)

Trial Mountain - although not noticably different in terms of detail from GT3 - does look much more realistic now. The colours and shades used for the grass, road, sky etc all add up to make you feel more immersed in the game. Turn 1 seems a bit wider but the majority of the track layout remains untouched.

Paris looks spectacular - but this is probably to be expected seeing as it limits you to 1 car at a time (The full game may allow 2 cars). This allows the PS2 to cope with the increased lighting effects, 3-D spectators, (and in the full game - dirt/snow particle effects for rally courses and animated drivers).

The new physics engine is a welcomed change. I found GT4-P physics to be much improved of GT3's, but the demo goes further. The cars now feel like they have some weight and body roll about them (at least in the case of the road cars). The Falken GT-R sits much flatter and stiffer - and hence is also a lot twitchier. Although brake lock-ups are still non-existent - the cars become much more unsettled under hard braking if your not gentle with them. The grass now has a more realistic grip level and is more of an issue if you venture off road. Although not 'life-like' realistic, it is probably a good compromise so not all minor 'offs' result in disaster.

Photo mode *yawn*
Some people will not agree but this provided me with about 3 mins entertainment. I know that full game will have all the cars and locations to pick from, but why would I be mucking about with this when I could be racing on the Nurb or one of the 50+ other tracks which will become available?

Little things - like the new spark effects when a car bottoms out look a lot better than in GT3. Given that - why is it so difficult to incorporate flame effects from the exhaust of race and heavily tuned cars? I can understand skid marks not being included as the load put on the PS2 outweighs the benefit (I'd like to keep the game to 50/60fps) - but surely this could be easily achieved?

I guess if the worst thing I can say about the demo is the lack of exhaust flames, then PD aren't not doing too bad. I will post a couple of short, but good quality clips if I can be bother connecting is up to the PC.
 
S13KS
Yes, you'll have to be on your toes to keep the Falken GT-R on the Nurb on the black stuff. Maybe it's because the car is so much faster than the others in the demo. Maybe it's because the Nurb has so many little deviations in track elevation. Maybe it's the new GT4 physics. But it's more likely a combination of all three.

I'd say you're right, from what little I know (don't have the demo here, dammit). Nürburgring Nordschleife is one of the most challenging tracks in the world, and it's going to take time to learn it's intricacies. Trying to take a full-bore racing car out there is just asking for trouble. Especially when you mix race car + unfamiliar difficult track + brand-spanking-new physics engine. Oh, yeah... hijinks shall ensue.. hehe.

Me, I'll be taking it nice and easy on the 'Ring.. I think key is driving it correctly, rather than driving it fast. Learn the track, learn the corners, learn the tricky spots. Then take a fast car out there, and you'll win every time. :)
 
Good deal, Jedi. I guess more of a weird Nurburgring Nords would be in GTA: Vice City. When you purchase the Sunshine Autos place, you can select some street races. The one I'm playing around with now is the Vice City Endurance. My fastest time is 5:14, and I'm racing it with 4 Wanted Stars, meaning that the VCPD and SWAT are on my ass. But in terms of a twisting, turning race course, you have to learn each corner as you mentioned, Jedi.

I know it's a weird example, but sometimes you have to have fun with these sort of things and come up with usually weird examples. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll have to evade arrest... in the game, not in real life. (sirens wailing) Oh s***! Gotta go! (gunshots)
 
LegacySTI
My HDTV can do a freeze frame, allows me to freeze the frame and take the pic.

The problem with snapping pics is that the PS2 video flickers a lot in motion, difficult to capture a clean smooth image. Freeze the frame and then take the picture.

Unless your camera can do quick exposures.


What kind of screen do you have? how much and where to get it? what sizes do u use and what other sizes are available?
 
does GT4 feel like richard burns rally?
 
why is it so difficult to incorporate flame effects from the exhaust of race and heavily tuned cars?
For the same reason that there´s no reverse lights: They like to piss us off. :p
 
Well, seeing as how the only "tuned" car in this demo is the Falken GT-R.... do we know whether the real Falken Skyline is prone to backfires? Knowing PD, if the effect is there, it will only be on cars that are supposed to have it.. if the real car doesn't have it, they're not going to put it on that car in the game. And while some racing and/or highly tuned cars may backfire occasionally, they don't all do it. It's very likely we just haven't seen it yet.
 
Any tuned cars race or street will flame out at the exhaust tip due to the modify fuel map that it runs richer than factory setup.
My brothers DC5 flames at every downshifts on a race course. You can see it but not the crazy ones that race car makes.
Using a Mugen ECU & Buddy Club piggy back Fuel management.
 
Jedi2016
Well, seeing as how the only "tuned" car in this demo is the Falken GT-R.... do we know whether the real Falken Skyline is prone to backfires? Knowing PD, if the effect is there, it will only be on cars that are supposed to have it.. if the real car doesn't have it, they're not going to put it on that car in the game. And while some racing and/or highly tuned cars may backfire occasionally, they don't all do it. It's very likely we just haven't seen it yet.

This one does.

content_press_anz2002.jpg


Reverse lights would be a nice little touch too, but generally when view replays the cars are rarely in reverse (depending on how good a driver you are :sly: ). I'd prefer exhaust flames to be implemented before reverse lights. But I agree on the fact that it should be very easy to implement given what PD have achieved on that little black box already.
 
S13KS
This one does.

content_press_anz2002.jpg


Reverse lights would be a nice little touch too, but generally when view replays the cars are rarely in reverse (depending on how good a driver you are :sly: ). I'd prefer exhaust flames to be implemented before reverse lights. But I agree on the fact that it should be very easy to implement given what PD have achieved on that little black box already.

big crazy fireballs for heavily tuned engines would be neato.
 
Well, there's still that one screencap showing backfire. And the demo is also missing the motion blur in replays that was clearly visible in all of the videos they released (including in-game B-Spec). It's quite possible that the demo is simply missing a few of the "embellishing" graphical tweaks.
 
Jedi2016
Well, there's still that one screencap showing backfire. And the demo is also missing the motion blur in replays that was clearly visible in all of the videos they released (including in-game B-Spec). It's quite possible that the demo is simply missing a few of the "embellishing" graphical tweaks.

Yeah but that screencap was 'shopped'. Obviously the demo's not the final product, but I'm still concerned that it hasn't already been included in previous versions of the game - yet the crowds in GT3 seem to take flash photos left, right, and centre.
 
S13KS
Yeah but that screencap was 'shopped'. Obviously the demo's not the final product, but I'm still concerned that it hasn't already been included in previous versions of the game - yet the crowds in GT3 seem to take flash photos left, right, and centre.

It's one of the mysteries of the universe, best left to our world's great thinkers to solve.
 
Well, there's a lot more to backfire than there is to a camera flash.

And I don't think there was ever any conclusive proof that the image in question was Photoshopped. The most obvious proof would be the original, un-shopped image, which I've never seen... if that's the only version of the image that exists, logic dictates it must be original.

As for not including it before now.. Remember that with GT3, they were still learning how to program for the PS2. Call it a "prototype" of the "real" PS2 version of GT (GT4).
 
Jedi2016
And I don't think there was ever any conclusive proof that the image in question was Photoshopped. The most obvious proof would be the original, un-shopped image, which I've never seen... if that's the only version of the image that exists, logic dictates it must be original.

Good point.
 
It's really hard to grab a good picture of GT4. The replay cameras does give a better point of view. therefore offer better screenshot but I haven't seen any difference between in-game and replay

Replay :

user125_img404.jpg


In-Game :

user125_img402.jpg
 
Jedi2016
And I don't think there was ever any conclusive proof that the image in question was Photoshopped. The most obvious proof would be the original, un-shopped image, which I've never seen... if that's the only version of the image that exists, logic dictates it must be original.

Which picture was that? is it that Concept GTR pic?
 
VIPERGTSR01
Which picture was that? is it that Concept GTR pic?
Yes, it´s a fake:

GT4.Fe..jpg


Original image:
gran_turismo_concept_lr_16.jpg


More fakes from the same author:
6GT4.jpg


1418.jpg
 
Back