GT4 playable online via Xlink!

Hi guys,

I'm dfunked (Co-Project Lead at Team XLink). You might have seen my name on our forums a lot hehe..

With GT4 being online, I can tell some of you are really eager and excited to get online and try things out, so before you panic (:D), let me just reiterate a few things..

1. Our website is http://www.teamxlink.co.uk
2. You are strongly urged to read the Quick Start Guide (bookmark it if you want too) - http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/?go=quickstart
3. Now, some people might find they run into trouble with the Quick Start Guide, or might want some clarification, so then there's the FAQ - http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/?go=faq
4. Still stumped? Well now it's time to run through the step-by-step troubleshooter - http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/?go=help
5. STILL stumped!? Well if you ran the troubleshooter, you would have probably been referenced to read about our Help Request system - if not, please make sure you search the Official XLink Forums - http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum (Please note that *ALL* support is done on the forums - emails and PMs are ignored and deleted)
6. No luck searching? Time to post! But wait! See that 'READ HERE BEFORE POSTING!' link right above the 'New Topic' button? You got it! You gotta read it :P (You should probably be at the point where you should fill out a Help Request form - so click the link and read the instructions thoroughly)
7. Should you have had no problems, but are a little confused on how to use Kai, press the blue (?) icon up the top in the Kai UI. You will notice a page loads on the right with different topics to choose from - choose the topic at your will and learn on what all the different icons do.

* The most common common problem we encounter with PS2 users is the configuration failure, which is a result of conflicting DHCP servers (Kai acts as a DHCP server for PS2's and GC's). Running through the troubleshooter (point 4) will tell you how to combat such a problem.

Should you get yourself playing GT4, we encourage you to spread the word as much as possible - if you want to see hundreds of GT4 players - this is the way to go. If your friends are stubborn, just tell them you're driving a Ferrari Spider down the streets of Tokyo against a Swede and a Brazilian online - I'm sure they'll listen :P

yet another confirmation, GT4 works flawlessly with 2 people under 100ms ping
my ps2 somehow always crashes when the host disconnects or when the game ends

cool i got kai and have been on the chats it looks great. now i need a router !! because i use ethernet to my computer and not usb... :-( is there any other way to do this ? thanks- ian

why would i need a crossover cable when i have 2 ethernet ports ? internet goes in one port and my ps2 plugs into the second port correct ? oh do you mean to connect the ps2 and the computer ? i see. :-D thanks for your help ! i really wanna get on xlink !

Does anyone here use the configuration with a USB modem and an ethernet card? I'd like to hear how it performs compared to a setup with either a router or a second ethernet card.

Ev0
Does anyone here use the configuration with a USB modem and an ethernet card? I'd like to hear how it performs compared to a setup with either a router or a second ethernet card.

I use Xlink with a USB modem and ethernet card. :)

I've had no major problems when playing either PS2 or Xbox on there. I do get lag sometimes in Halo 2 though, especially when in a full room but other than that it's great.

Toca 2
MotoGP 2

Buttery smooth 👍

Now I want Gran Turismo 4. :irked:

tiptopcream
I use Xlink with a USB modem and ethernet card. :)

I've had no major problems when playing either PS2 or Xbox on there. I do get lag sometimes in Halo 2 though, especially when in a full room but other than that it's great.

Toca 2
MotoGP 2

Buttery smooth 👍

Now I want Gran Turismo 4. :irked:
Excellent! I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy anything other than GT4 for online play!

Just a small, maybe idiotic question, but do I need to buy anything for the online to work? I already have the normal setup for normal PS2 games, is there anything else necessary for this? Or is it basically just downloading a program?

Aveiro-F1
Just a small, maybe idiotic question, but do I need to buy anything for the online to work? I already have the normal setup for normal PS2 games, is there anything else necessary for this? Or is it basically just downloading a program?

You need a Network Adapter in the back of the PS2 as shown below.

My dusty silver PS2 ready and waiting for GT4 :D
ps2network9ud.jpg

i was just wondering.. my ps2 has a modchip.. can i play online with a modchip ? it mentions on the chip website... (www.duomodchip.com i have the duo2se) ...that the chip can be turned off for online play, but then i can't load up gt4 if the chip is turned off ! does anyone know anything about that ? thanks a lot !

I think you'll just have to wait till you get the version that allows you to play without the modchip "on".

yesterdaylight
i was just wondering.. my ps2 has a modchip.. can i play online with a modchip ? it mentions on the chip website... (www.duomodchip.com i have the duo2se) ...that the chip can be turned off for online play, but then i can't load up gt4 if the chip is turned off ! does anyone know anything about that ? thanks a lot !
when playing games via LAN it doesn't do a DNAS check.. so you'll be fine.

If your connecting online to a Sony/Ubi-soft/EA/Gamespy server it will do a DNAS check, and if your chip is on, it wont let you online....
but if your connecting via XLink Kai through LAN there is no DNAS check.. so you'll be able to play online via LAN with a chipped console. :)

~Çiao

Little Wog
when playing games via LAN it doesn't do a DNAS check.. so you'll be fine.

If your connecting online to a Sony/Ubi-soft/EA/Gamespy server it will do a DNAS check, and if your chip is on, it wont let you online....
but if your connecting via XLink Kai through LAN there is no DNAS check.. so you'll be able to play online via LAN with a chipped console. :)

~Çiao

THANK YOU Little Wog 👍 that's EXACTLY what i wanted to hear :) rock on i can't wait then ! thanks again!
-Ian :D

I just bought an XGA Adaptor so that I can play my ps2 on my computer LCD. If I recall correctly, there is a switch on the adaptor to change from vga to pc so this should be an easy task. Now I just need GT4 damnit!

Back