GT4 playable online via Xlink!

When GT4 comes out I'm going to have my work cut out for me trying to understand all this XLin stuff, 99% of PC tech talk goes straight over my head. What I know, I know well, but I don't know all that much about networking, if any at all.

live4speed
When GT4 comes out I'm going to have my work cut out for me trying to understand all this XLin stuff, 99% of PC tech talk goes straight over my head. What I know, I know well, but I don't know all that much about networking, if any at all.
It´s really simple actually. I don´t think you will have much problems with it.

live4speed

it's soo easy to setup. if you were able to sign up in this forum, you'll be able to get xlink going.

I have made a first test with Pricer.
The Kai connection seems to be ok, but GT4 stay in a "Waiting For Connection" state.

The details of the test :

- both use a local network with a DHCP server
- the two PCs have an automatic network configuration (automatic IP and automatic DNS)
- the two PS2s have an automatic network configuration (automatic IP and automatic DNS)

- GT4 Lan Connect Settings (for me) :
> Unit Name : VV
> Host : Yes
> Style : Play (default)
> No of join people : 2
> Live target : Player1 (default)
> Sub monitor : 0 (default)
> Monitor Position : Central (default)
> Monitor Type : Normal (default)
> NetWork Loading : Large (default)
Pricer has the same settings, except for Unit Name : Pricer and for Host : No

- GT4 Network Settings (for me) :
> Autoconnect : OFF (default)
> Connect Number : 1 (default)
Pricer has the same settings.

Launch GT4 Lan :
- go to Arcade Mode / Multi Lan Race
- select the MC slot
- select the MC file for the network configuration
- press "Ok" (the left button)
> the screen "Waiting For Connection" appears

Launch Kai :
- start Kai on the PC
- switch to dignostics mode
- the network informations appears :
> Public IP : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> Public Port : xxxx
> Network reachable : Yes
- switch to dignostics view
- the PS2 informations appears :
> PS2 : Network configured successfully
- switch arena mode
- enter in the PS2 Arena
- enter in the GT4 Arena
- create a private Arena
- Pricer enter in this Arena
> I see Pricer and he see me
> the connection is established
> the ping values are displayed

But GT4 stay in the "Waiting For Connection" state. :(
Any idea ? Any suggestion ? Hajaz ?

nijikon5
Does anyone know if having a modded PS2 will affect online play? ( USDM PS2 + mod chip )
I have the same question ...

Next test : meet Pricer and made a real LAN test with two chipped PAL PS2 ...

gmartin
I just bought an XGA Adaptor so that I can play my ps2 on my computer LCD. If I recall correctly, there is a switch on the adaptor to change from vga to pc so this should be an easy task. Now I just need GT4 damnit!

Where did you get it? Do you gain something in quality?

Oh I almost forgot, if anyone here has gotten Xlink Kai to work sucessfully with GT4, can you hear the opponents car(s) in realtime and does it sound authentic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijikon5

Does anyone know if having a modded PS2 will affect online play? ( USDM PS2 + mod chip )

no, this question has already been answered in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesterdaylight

i was just wondering.. my ps2 has a modchip.. can i play online with a modchip ? it mentions on the chip website... (www.duomodchip.com i have the duo2se) ...that the chip can be turned off for online play, but then i can't load up gt4 if the chip is turned off ! does anyone know anything about that ? thanks a lot !

Quote:
Originally posted by Little Wog

when playing games via LAN it doesn't do a DNAS check.. so you'll be fine.

If your connecting online to a Sony/Ubi-soft/EA/Gamespy server it will do a DNAS check, and if your chip is on, it wont let you online....
but if your connecting via XLink Kai through LAN there is no DNAS check.. so you'll be able to play online via LAN with a chipped console.

~Çiao

VV
I have made a first test with Pricer.
The Kai connection seems to be ok, but GT4 stay in a "Waiting For Connection" state.

The details of the test :

- both use a local network with a DHCP server
- the two PCs have an automatic network configuration (automatic IP and automatic DNS)
- the two PS2s have an automatic network configuration (automatic IP and automatic DNS)

- GT4 Lan Connect Settings (for me) :
> Unit Name : VV
> Host : Yes
> Style : Play (default)
> No of join people : 2
> Live target : Player1 (default)
> Sub monitor : 0 (default)
> Monitor Position : Central (default)
> Monitor Type : Normal (default)
> NetWork Loading : Large (default)
Pricer has the same settings, except for Unit Name : Pricer and for Host : No

- GT4 Network Settings (for me) :
> Autoconnect : OFF (default)
> Connect Number : 1 (default)
Pricer has the same settings.

Launch GT4 Lan :
- go to Arcade Mode / Multi Lan Race
- select the MC slot
- select the MC file for the network configuration
- press "Ok" (the left button)
> the screen "Waiting For Connection" appears

Launch Kai :
- start Kai on the PC
- switch to dignostics mode
- the network informations appears :
> Public IP : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> Public Port : xxxx
> Network reachable : Yes
- switch to dignostics view
- the PS2 informations appears :
> PS2 : Network configured successfully
- switch arena mode
- enter in the PS2 Arena
- enter in the GT4 Arena
- create a private Arena
- Pricer enter in this Arena
> I see Pricer and he see me
> the connection is established
> the ping values are displayed

But GT4 stay in the "Waiting For Connection" state. :(
Any idea ? Any suggestion ? Hajaz ?

I have the same question ...

Next test : meet Pricer and made a real LAN test with two chipped PAL PS2 ...

if network is reachable and the ps2 is configured successfully you should be set.
Didd Pricer get the same results as you did in diagnostics.
How about when either of you tried to connect to other opponents?

and yeah you should go to the arena before putting gt4 in lanmode...

If you can get on irc efnet #xlink and pm me there, should be easier to troubleshoot that way

gt4 racer
i have a question if anyone has played the online feature of gt4...... is it possible to chat with others and buy/sell parts/cars?

oh come on! you're not even a new member. use the SEARCH button before you ask anything about ANYTHING!

tiptopcream
You need a Network Adapter in the back of the PS2 as shown below.

My dusty silver PS2 ready and waiting for GT4 :D
ps2network9ud.jpg
Oh, yeah I already have my PS2 set up for other online games, I was asking about the Kai thing, is it just a program on the computer or what?

VV
Yeap, a kind of permanent jerks during the race. ... indeed :indiff:

jesus, so 128 KB isn't enough for a 2 player race?? DAMN! this REALLY sucks...

my connection is 256k up and 1 mbit down, and the friend i'm gonna play against has the same ISP (so ping will be around 20 MS) his upstream is also around 256k up... BUT as soon as you upload more than 13KB/s the connection starts to lagg.... i hope this doesn't turn out to be a problem for me.

I'm not sure that many people will be able to play online ...

With his connection (2048/128), Pricer can host a TRD2 game, up to 6 players and with no lag.
With GT4 and only 2 players (2048/128) the lag is permanent.
And we have proceeded to another test with a hoster who has an upload bandwith of 1024. Same result : permanent lag ...

The GT4 network code is really not optimized for a online use. Sorry. :ill:

yeah i found it weird that it lagged for you and Pricer when japanese users were reporting it to be much more smoother. Maybe its a routing issue your their isps tho, coz i had a much better ping to both you and Pricer then you 2 had to eahother (and im in a different country)
We'll see when more peope start getting the game

nah still waiting

im gonna start a topic for the japanese users to get info on what bandwidth / ping theyre playing over and how much it lags;
I mean, ive seen people play with 6 players. I'm sure they wouldnt do that if it lagged when playing 1vs1

VV: you described the game as having constant jerks?

do you mean it stutters at regular intervals?
If so i think it might very much be down to routing/spyware/upload related issues.
Did you try 6 player toca today on kai?
remember that sony online doesnt require your pc to run, so spyware etc wouldnt affect that.
Do me a favour and try running adaware and spybot for cleaning up your system, then try it again

I can't imagine GT4 would be that laggy on kai...If my 50-60 kbytes/sec up is enough to play Battlefront with 16 players, 8 of whom have voice interaction, why would it have any trouble with a few people in GT4? Granted, I haven't played Battlefront on kai, but would it really be that different?

Also, I bet the host system needs a lot more upload than the others, but I don't know how the network code works.

Back