conditionality)

Experimental result
Player1-PING=30-40
Player2-PING=15-20
Player3-PING=15-35
Player4-PING=25-30
Player5-PING=12-15
Player6-PING=20-30
Everyone light = completely there is no lag, is.
You are surprised truly... considerably stability. . When you
experience, you are surprised truly...
At the time of first game start it just made the カク っ
The after of the that lag how is, nil"

looks like it requires a pretty low ping yeah, but this test was done with 6 players witch is always alot more stressing.

personally, ive experienced that i get ping 40 playing from belgium against people in england/holland etc (Gamecube onver tunneling is extremely ping sensitive) so in the worst case ill just play people from those countries on gt4.

i see. very good information. well it's likely all those guys playing are from Japan or nearby Asia so the pings will be reasonably low. i'm interested to see what will happen when i get my GT4. it is taking FOREVER ! thats what i get for using free shipping. but when it comes i'll test xlink right after i hook up the connection. i should be able to find people with very low Pings as a lot of people in NY seem to have GT4, i'm lucky ! later

good news to read... hopefully my connection won't lag if the upstream rate is too high (it's 25k upload, but starts affecting my ping from 9k and up). the guy i'll play the most, probably for years to come has the same ISP i do, and we got about a 20 MS ping to eachother, hopefully it will be completley seamless.

SaintKamus
good news to read... hopefully my connection won't lag if the upstream rate is too high (it's 25k upload, but starts affecting my ping from 9k and up). the guy i'll play the most, probably for years to come has the same ISP i do, and we got about a 20 MS ping to eachother, hopefully it will be completley seamless.

Just one observation.

The Ping reported by XLink is the one that matters for online game play.
Which may not be the same ping value returned by the "ping" command, when issused at the command prompt (e.g. DOS Prompt)

Thanks for your response guys. i'll wait for local the racers!

i did a bit of reading about pings, theoretically if you change your setting to recognise your upload bandwidth to a smaller bandwidth, there's a better chance in achieving a better ping due to consistancy.

e.g. if you push your upload to a bigger bandwidth, the computer will think it's capable of sending out more data which will then lead to sending out missing parts of data. however if you set it to a smaller bandwidth, it should recognise it to send out 100% data with bandwidth to spare.

I dont know fully, this is just a theory i came up with after reading around on the net. i tested my theory with Doom 3, i setted my net connection in the game as CABLE/DSL since i own cable with 128 kbs upload. my ping was hitting 150ms+ with terrible lag. i then set my net connection in the game to ISDN and i was constantly hitting ping 40ms and sometimes less having no lag.

i'm not sure if the same rule will apply with kai and GT4, but shoot em up games require more bandwidth than racing games as far as i know. Once i get my copy, i would certainly like to test this with other people!

Hi Hajaz...looks like Andy got my infos... I gave him some infos and links on japanese site's 2/3days ago :)

Btw... the japanese guy who would be maybe help out in the Kai japanese forum section told me he have standart CATV connection. that means he have 5Mbit DL speed and 1.8Mbit UL speed. So he say maybe those other japanese gamer's have that or maybe the highspeed solution calld HTTD that means 50Mbit Syncro (DL and UL speed). That would explain it wont be lag'y if the ping is ok hahahaha. :crazy:

I got my GT4 today... but i wait for my BB-A.

CMe
Just one observation.

The Ping reported by XLink is the one that matters for online game play.
Which may not be the same ping value returned by the "ping" command, when issused at the command prompt (e.g. DOS Prompt)
That's right. Between Pricer and me, the Kai ping is around 85 ms, and with a direct ping command, the ping is around 45 ms. So to obtain a Kai ping under 40 ms, you probably need a real ping under 20 ms.

Anyone monitored how much bandwith thats used? Two peeps with as low ping as possible to eachother that is. :)

GT4 must have some fairly dodgy network code if it requires such fast pings to work at all online. I have raced (on PC) guys from all over the world with a lot of success. I even used to use dial-up with playable results against 4-6 other racers in GPL, back in the day.

My theory: Japan is such a small (physical size) but technologically advanced country that their network system is excellent. But what do I know, I've never been.

Well, (theory time) what if GT4 takes up more bandwith then we think then? I mean, if you hook two PS2's together via just a lan. They are gonna have 10/100Mbit between eachother right? So, (speculation) lets assume that GT4 use 3Mbit bandwith/car but the upload of your internet connection is 512Kbit/1Mbit/2Mbit. Then it will lag even if i was playing my neighboor right? Since the game is getting a bottleneck because my upload isnt good enough.. I think that's sorta what im trying to find out.

But, as you say CudaMan, something sounds fishy if that was the case since.. Well, didnt experience lag at all when.. :P

There probably is more data being sent back & forth then there would be in an 'official' online mode. After all any optimisations to simplify calculations/physics (yet hardly noticable) etc... will be disabled as there would be little point for lan games. But this would create problems in online games & no doubt using xlink will add some extra overhead.
Also the lan mode probably won't have any lag compensation code enabled. If PD is serious about making an online expansion (& not the joke that was online mode included in GT4) then they probably wouldn't want xlink to be a success, regardless PD aren't going to spend time thinking about online performance in lan mode!

abman
Thanks for your response guys. i'll wait for local the racers!

i did a bit of reading about pings, theoretically if you change your setting to recognise your upload bandwidth to a smaller bandwidth, there's a better chance in achieving a better ping due to consistancy.

e.g. if you push your upload to a bigger bandwidth, the computer will think it's capable of sending out more data which will then lead to sending out missing parts of data. however if you set it to a smaller bandwidth, it should recognise it to send out 100% data with bandwidth to spare.

I dont know fully, this is just a theory i came up with after reading around on the net. i tested my theory with Doom 3, i setted my net connection in the game as CABLE/DSL since i own cable with 128 kbs upload. my ping was hitting 150ms+ with terrible lag. i then set my net connection in the game to ISDN and i was constantly hitting ping 40ms and sometimes less having no lag.

i'm not sure if the same rule will apply with kai and GT4, but shoot em up games require more bandwidth than racing games as far as i know. Once i get my copy, i would certainly like to test this with other people!

Interesting. I also noticed something similar with a direct connection our office has to our EH in London. Once the datarates go up to 60-80% capacity, pings shoot up to sometimes well over 200ms. Something worth checking out.

I used to have as little as 4ms pings in the Netherlands for games like Unreal Tournament or Quake, shocking a friend of mine. Now I have a 8mbit/1mbit connection that doesn't seem to shabby either.

bacalhau
i still dont get it....do you play GT4 online like you do with SOCOM or XIII??

Yes. If you've played SOCOM using xLink, it's exactly the same principal. But when GT4 is used with xLink the participants must have good ping values amongst themselves; for the best gamming experience.

CMe
Yes. If you've played SOCOM using xLink, it's exactly the same principal. But when GT4 is used with xLink the participants must have good ping values amongst themselves; for the best gamming experience.
So i come back to check see whats going on with the online and how many people are playing online and see there has been no activity in this thread for over a week now whats going on with online now?

Could be that most of us are still waiting for NTSC/PAL release? Thats what im doing since [insert very cencored comments about UPS here] have decided to ship it back to asia. :)

But, as soon as i get the PAL release and get familiar with the game im gonna be playing for sure.

CudaMan
GT4 must have some fairly dodgy network code if it requires such fast pings to work at all online. I have raced (on PC) guys from all over the world with a lot of success. I even used to use dial-up with playable results against 4-6 other racers in GPL, back in the day.

My theory: Japan is such a small (physical size) but technologically advanced country that their network system is excellent. But what do I know, I've never been.

it's not "dodgy" network code at all, people didn't want to belive me.. but here are the facts, KY said that LAN play was synched, that's right, no lag tolerance, if there is any kind of lag, the clients suck it up (meaning, there would be delays in the controls, and the game will pause to wait for other clients until synched.)

this will probably only work for people living in the same city using the same ISP, wich is ok.

by the way, can you save replays after a race? don't think i've seen this asked before.

SaintKamus
it's not "dodgy" network code at all, people didn't want to belive me.. but here are the facts, KY said that LAN play was synched, that's right, no lag tolerance, if there is any kind of lag, the clients suck it up (meaning, there would be delays in the controls, and the game will pause to wait for other clients until synched.)

this will probably only work for people living in the same city using the same ISP, wich is ok.

by the way, can you save replays after a race? don't think i've seen this asked before.
So what you are saying is it will suck to play GT4 online unless u are playing with somebody that lives couple miles down the road from u? :banghead:

So it shouldn't be too laggy if playing others in the same city?

If that's the case, I should be able to play easily with most of my friends who live in a 2-3 km radius from me. With all the negative comments about GT4 these days, it's nice to have something to look forward to again. :)

DRL
So it shouldn't be too laggy if playing others in the same city?

If that's the case, I should be able to play easily with most of my friends who live in a 2-3 km radius from me. With all the negative comments about GT4 these days, it's nice to have something to look forward to again. :)
yeah the negative comments get to be a drag after awhile. Make sure u let everybody know how it works when u get it hooked up.

mrchicken&fries
So what you are saying is it will suck to play GT4 online unless u are playing with somebody that lives couple miles down the road from u? :banghead:

I live in New York and I have seen respectable pings (50s) with folks as far as Canada.

Although this hasn't been explained (if so I haven't found it) - I do belive the ping times are directly related to the the xLink "Orbital Server" you connect to.
Which speaks to their Network Architecture :confused: . I suspect that those on the same Orbital Server or perhaps adjacent servers will see good ping values.

CMe
I live in New York and I have seen respectable pings (50s) with folks as far as Canada.

The ping values I see in the GT4 arenas @ Xlink server are consistent when comparing in general.
On the average, BB players in North America appear to have pings ranging from 20 up to 90. EU players and beyond around 130 to 220. Ping ratings of 120 is more than satisfactory for most of my PC online activities .

i've experiance 30ms with a person in the same country as me... and still i found very very tiny lag..

40ms with somebody in switzerland and i found a bit of lag, with 60ms you're guaranteed lag. 120ms is possible to play in but impossible to enjoy.

Latest Posts

Back