GT4 vs Forza [Let the battle begin]

• Thread starter Front
  • 5,710 comments
Gt4p is quite realistic, but after playing GTR, Gt4p feels very much dumbed down and easy, the race cars for example are too easy to handle, they don't feel like 600 bhp beasts unlike the ones on GTR, where when you put "your foot down", it actually feels like your powering an utter beast, wheels spinning like crazy if you apply too much gas etc. GT4p just doesn't capture this stuff.

Cobra that is your logic, you refuse to believe that ANYTHING can be better then GT4 in anyway, no matter what facts are presented, hell even if PD said GTR was more realistic, you would refuse to believe it just because GT4 is GT4.

Yea, gt4 needs to get the acceleration on spot. We'll have to wait for gt4 but gt4 will be better than GTR, that's a given =P

Better, well I dunno about that. Better in that it will have more cars, but GTR will have a much better racing experience I expect.

Can you give us some information on this GTR game? It sounds interesting and I haven't heard about it.
THanks

OK, it's a racing sim being made my simbin for the pc. ATM theres a 2 car, 1 track demo, instal it, stick your speakers on full whack, make sure you have a pad or a wheel, rev the engine. Seriously, you will NEVER have heard a cars engine sound so sweet in a game, ever EVER before. Try going nice n fast in say 5th gear, the drop it to 4th to get the extra power, the sound is incredible. A warning, it's a VERY hardcore game and not at all easy, it is no where near as forgiving as console racing games, playing a pc sim is certainly an interesting experience, as lets be honest, pcs are the best :D

Btw L turns the rev limiter off :)

http://www.bhmotorsports.com/GTR/screenshot/11600

http://www.bhmotorsports.com/sims/GTR/screenshots/46.jpg

http://www.bhmotorsports.com/sims/GTR/screenshots/47.jpg

http://www.bhmotorsports.com/sims/GTR/screenshots/34.jpg

56 cars on track at once :D

console: enthusia

pc: www.liveforspeed.com or n2003 by papyrus with all roadtracks.

oh and yes even gtr which isnt that good imho and is basically a mod on a bad isi engine, beats gt4 as handling a car goes. gt4 is kids play. fun (i like it) but not more than that.

watch out for lfs s2 and gtp mod for n2003 coz both rock ;)

This has kinda went off topic to say the least, what I really want to know is how online play will be handled by the PS2 for GT4 how many car's on screen, what is the netcode like for other PS2 online game's..

XBox live is more established than PS2's online features, and when Forza doe's become avalible your almost guaranteed a good online experiance i'm just wondering what GT4 is offering in this area ?

Simple answer is no one knows. Probs just be lobbys and races hosted by people.

Topics allways change like this, I think it's bad to be restricted by a topics title, best just to let it flow, makes for a more interesting forum.

WTF? you people decided you can't dispute GT4 with Forza so you start talking about GTR and Live for Speed? seriously, stop b!tching and play the game when it comes out, who cares whats more realistic, i only care about whats funner

Is it just me or doe's GT4 use alot of low resolution textures and blurs the hell outta them, just looking at a couple of screenshots for GT4....

They would look real if the textures were crisper it would almost look photo real, but there's a whole wish wash effect going on.... i'll link the screenshots if you like...

Please do, because the screens I have seen are not washed out.

561066_20040625_screen003.jpg

561066_20040512_screen001.jpg

561066_20040512_screen005.jpg

Those look pretty sharp to me.

102574_1090510091_1.jpg

102574_1090509967_1.jpg

granTurismo4_052303_21.jpg

Those are just a few of the car one's...
But some of the scenery look's very very low resolution and very blurred and also some of the car's if looked at closely (as above) don't have the same polish as Forza just my 2 cent's.
And as someone else has stated (I think) replay and ingame are completely different....

Forza cars are polished but they look super fake, cartoony some say. I dont like forza's look, it does look very fake compared to gt4. The only difference in replays is they show the game from a different view. The graphics are the same as the gameplay. In replays, do the texture res go up? Nothing upgrades, it's all the same. And when you say ingame, you include the replay and gameplay, because it's all ingame on the game engine. I dont know if you could call the intro ingame but whatever. GT4 doesn't blur the textures, most of the pics you see have the cars in motion, and you see motion blur, that's all. If you want to see the textures, stop your car, and look at them, simple as that. The pd team aren't doing tricks.

And whoever says gt4's replays are different from its gameplay, smack them

Attachments

• bmw.JPG
    bmw.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 120
  • bmw1.JPG
    bmw1.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 88
mashoutposse
I see you put down 'Amazing Physics' for Forza... may I ask how you know this?

Anyway, GT4 can be used with the Driving Force Pro, therefore it wins by default.

Why anyone would want to play a sim with a controller, one will never know.

Maybe Microsoft will release a force feedback wheel now since Forza seems to be their first racing/driving simulator
(Microsoft makes/made force feedback wheels for PC).

The IGN preview below was made by people that tests and reviews cars for the
car section of IGN.

http://cars.ign.com/articles/516/516867p1.html

This preview was made by a guy that says he test drives cars (maybe it's not true).

http://www.digitalentertainmentnews.com/preview.php?story_id=3439

cobragt
I doubt GTR's physics are more realistic than the latest gt4 build physics. They weren't all that more realistic than gt4p's physics.
I have to dissagree with this, GTR's physics for GT race cars is spot on, it doesn't get much better without juping into the real thing, the advantage GT4 has is that it covers a much wider variety of race types and car types, I don't think GT4 will come close, and close to real lap times do not mean the physics engine is better, and GTR's were tonnes better than GT4:P's.

Well we played demos, not the final thing and I didn't find GTR's driving physics all that better than gt4p's. Getting realistic track times is evidence of having great physics. If a car in the game can get a track time 2 to 5 sec off from the real thing on a real track, the car physics have to be spot on. GT4 will be the driving simulater and why haven't we heard anything about GTR, seems the media doesn't care about it.

They could make a game with ridge racers phyics and get a car to run a realistic time, all you have to do is manipulate the performance of the car in the right way, which does not mean the physics are correct. Or you can maipulate the track itself or do a bit of both, I'm not saying GT4 is not realistic, but it's not as hardcore sim as games like Live for speed and GTR.

pimp racer
flipping cars? why would you want that?
Because it happens in reality. It affects the way you drive. If you risk to end wheels up - game over, you'll drive more carefully.

With better crash physics (and I do not mean damage!!), wall riding and adversary hitting would finally be history.

Gran Turismo can never make all of us happy. There will always be shortcomings, flaws and missed oppertunities.
However, for £30 I can think of little else that can entertain me for months and months on end (I still play GT3 after three years!!!).

As for which one is better, Forza on the X-box or GT4? That's a weighty question. Technically Forza has the most going for it but GT4 will be the more enjoyable...perhaps. We'll all have to play one than the other to decide!
More important than that, whichever you choose enjoy it. If it's no fun than it's irrelevant how good the physics engine is, or how many polygons there are. In the end enjoyment is all that matters.

slackbladder
Gran Turismo can never make all of us happy. There will always be shortcomings, flaws and missed oppertunities.
However, for £30 I can think of little else that can entertain me for months and months on end (I still play GT3 after three years!!!).

As for which one is better, Forza on the X-box or GT4? That's a weighty question. Technically Forza has the most going for it but GT4 will be the more enjoyable...perhaps. We'll all have to play one than the other to decide!
More important than that, whichever you choose enjoy it. If it's no fun than it's irrelevant how good the physics engine is, or how many polygons there are. In the end enjoyment is all that matters.

That makes complete and utter sense. 👍

I'll be buying GT4, but i'll probably rent Forza for my poor unused X-Box to see if it's all that. Although I promised myself that i'd buy toca race driver 2 for it and I still haven't.

GT Obsession
Please do, because the screens I have seen are not washed out.

561066_20040625_screen003.jpg

561066_20040512_screen001.jpg

561066_20040512_screen005.jpg

Those look pretty sharp to me.

never seen the 350z shot before thanks!!

Buggy Boy
Because it happens in reality.

Yeah but you woundnt need this if you knew how to drive carefully.
(please no one bring up the topic about the CLR flipping at lemans. :D)

But not everyone does drive carefully, and even the experts crash from time to time, and also online racing means he opposition might be a bit more agressive than the AI. Theres no way you can say not being able to flip is a good thing, it doesn't happen often but when it does happen it's happened because it should, it's not always the drivers fault it can be someone else hitting them.

live4speed
But not everyone does drive carefully, and even the experts crash from time to time, and also online racing means he opposition might be a bit more agressive than the AI. Theres no way you can say not being able to flip is a good thing, it doesn't happen often but when it does happen it's happened because it should, it's not always the drivers fault it can be someone else hitting them.
You got a point there but the idea of seeing a (insert car here) flip over would be kinda dumb what happens if you are upside down? race over?

I guess so, if you flip over you should be out the race so why not, it's not going to happen often so it's not going to be repettitive and badly annoying unless it happens in an enduro but then there has to be risks.

live4speed
I guess so, if you flip over you should be out the race so why not, it's not going to happen often so it's not going to be repettitive and badly annoying unless it happens in an enduro but then there has to be risks.
Hmm... I guess you guys win then there should be fliping cars as long as it makes it harder. :D also I wonder since it looks like there is gonna be 3D pit crews!! It would be amazing to see a little movie type of thing where they push your car back to the pits during a enduro race,

The game "Total Immersion Racing" was probably an answer to all the NASCAR heads. With moderate success, it succeeded. Gran Turismo is more of the half-ton gorilla that other racing games try to knock off. And Forza Motorsport seems like a worthy game to take on Gran Turismo. I'll admit that it looks alright and may have a shot. And I'd hate to hear about FM having crashes, rollovers, and damage. Even worse, I'd hate hearing that it beats GT4 just because of the over-the-top action. I thought "Pro Race Driver" was pretty thuggish with its AI, and the storyline element wasn't too bad.

I think Forza Motorsport is trying to be (who's the developer behind FM?)'s answer to Gran Turismo. It has a chance, but I don't think it's going to be close. Enthusia Professional Racer may have as much luck as Auto Modellista at knocking off GT4 and becoming the new standard in racing games. So, I'd say GT4. ALMOST hands down.

Publisher: Microsoft Games
Developer: Microsoft Games

they're taking the "if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself" approach seeing as their hopes of PGR2 besting GT3/4 faded after it got the "close but no cigar" treatment

Back