GT4 vs Forza [Let the battle begin]

• Thread starter Front
  • 5,710 comments
Gt one, just about everything you said is guess work, your only defending gt out of pure ignorence. You have no idea what's in forza, you have never played forza, so please, how do you know what it does and doesn't contain? Hell for all you know it could be really damn good. Your defending GT in such a way because you a big GT fan and while I am also BIG BIG fan of GT, I can also see that other games can be just as good, I think you just don't like the idea of competition, especially on the PS2's rival, the xbox. IMO the more the better, I'll own both, and I'll enjoy both games:)

BTW I wouldn't call 200 ish cars a few, that's a good amount when you consider that they all have damage, interiors etc.

BTW whats with the insane use of caps? Is your shift key broken?

live4speed
I never race with TCS or ASM on exept in a couple of the F1 races where I put TCS on to a setting of 1 or 2. Even with thoes off you can still power a car through corners with relative ease, real life just isn't like that.
agreed... but what about with sim tires on too? I find the cars are much more realistic with the sim tires on and the aids off. Also, do you think it matters using the DS2 as opposed to the DFP? And now that GT4P has and GT4 will have 900 degree support, what most are saying is that the realism of handling and car physics has dramatically improved over GT3... especially when using a wheel.

live did you type that all out in one go cause I felt like i was repeating myself even when I wasn't and also the whole thing makes sense !! :lol: Oh yeah and I agree with you.

....but if "forzas" quality is better than GT4 it won´t be a better game cuz (as u said) the quantity would be not as good as GT4!!!...so the quantity of GT4 is perhaps 100% let´s say then "FORZA" would have a quantity of about 60% perhaps and when GT4 has a quality of let´s say 80% "FORZA" would have q quality of about 93%!!!

so forza perhaps has more QUALITY but in contrast to GT4´s quantity "FORZA" is a very small game andisn´t a better one at all!!!

_aj
live did you type that all out in one go cause I felt like i was repeating myself even when I wasn't and also the whole thing makes sense !! :lol: Oh yeah and I agree with you.
I had to stop and check a couple of times that I hadn't repeated it over and over lol.

Gt one, your gonna look back on this, and realise your talking crap. Just stop it, you DON'T know, I can't believe your actually stupid enough to try and do sums, jesus, how pathetic. People call me an xbox fanboy, but at least I have some common sense :P

I think half life 3 is better then quake 5, because half life 3 has 99.9% more freeman in it, but with quake 5 has 50% more shot gun goodness, it levels at about 23.9%. Then again, quake rhymes with flakes, so I give it an extra 56% goodness, but the quantity doesn't add up BLAH BLAH BLAH

Using gt ones logic, 1000000 turds are better then 1000 pieces of gold (not saying gt is a turd ofc)

GT-One I along with others here would very much rather have the less quantity, more quality approach I think. I for one know I would love to be able to see damage on the cars, track debris, track marks and maybe actually seeing and being able to drive via the interior view. I wouldn't care much for visual mods as performance mods is where it's mainly at.

I am quite looking forward to Forza as hopefully it will force PD to add the details we have been crying out for since GT was released. I am an avid GT player so don't think I love the XB or MS, I don't, but I see Forza finally making PD add the little things, otherwise Sony and PD will find people switching. Harsh but true.

I am looking forward to both, although I won't buy Forza since I have no X-Box I will play it at my mates when I get the chance.

How about this?
No argument about quality/quantity.
If it were an issue of quality, MS is way way way behind. There are 2 XBox-only games I really like and feel they are worth the cost...Halo and Project Gotham Racing. Yes, there are lots of good XBox games, but almost all of them are cross-platform software (SSX3, Splinter Cell, etc.)
If it were an issue of quantity, MS is behind in that area as well. Fewer games means fewer good ones (and bad ones, too!) Yes, there are lots of XBox games, but only a few developed and published by MS. Those usually tend to be very good games (Halo, Crimson Skies, PGR, etc.).

XBox is just now coming into some real quality titles with the likes of Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Riddick...so we know they have the FPS market pretty much ruled. But to date, PGR might be the best driving game MS has.

The general expectation is that GT4 will be much better and more realistic than anything MS can offer because it has been that way since even before the Xbox existed. I'm talking track record here. And Microsoft has finally decided that they better start sprinting to the finish line before Sony walks over it backwards and wins the race.

No company is perfect, Sony has made some utter console **** ups to. ****e memory cards, with a pants 8 mb on them (no hdd), 2 joy pad ports, lacksture dvd play back (grain o vision), no hardware 5.1, most of the games are utter chaff, 90% of cross console games are better on the other 2 machines, but for all these flaws, I still like my ps2, there are still some gems. Take it from some one who owns both, they really are both great machines, it's as simple as that. Sony obviously had abit of a lead to begin with (sony did turn into a monster games console company), but I think MS have done pretty well for a hated company, and for their first attempt at breaking into the console market. The games on the xbox are diverse and many are of quality equal to ps2 games (ofc theres some utter crap too), and tbh seeing as theres gems on BOTH machines, both are worth owning. Anyone who says other wise is wrong plain wrong, it's like back in mega drive vs snes days, snes fans hated mega drive, megadrive fans hated the snes, both groups nit picked the other machine, but both were wrong, both were superb.

....SO U MEAN x-box IS THE BETTER CONSOLE BUT ps2 IS MORE SUCCESFUL because it had a past history in which it was a very succesful console and because it has made name for itself(i mean that the PLAYSTATION is more common THAN THE X-BOX so that the X-BOX isn´t that famous yet)???
and because of the succes of the PSX(PLAYSTATION)there were better games on PS2??
....i think so,too but i don´t want to buy me a x-box now!!

Well alot of people like your self just arn't willing to give another machine a chance, simply because it's not called "playstation". I find that when some people only own one machine, they like to try and make excuses as to why their machine is better then others, as if theres some kind of "my machines better then yours" thing going on. It's happened for years, and it will keep on happening, stupid claims about games, crap said about a machines specs etc etc.

The PS2 is more succesfull, the figures show that, and in that way it's a better console, but the X-Box is technically superior, and I don't know why to this day but there are people who will try and say thats not true. Thoes people are PS2 fanboy's and should realise that admitting something newer is more powerful than their beloved PS2 is no the same as cheating on your woman.

pimp racer
(in regards to proper crash physics)
Yeah but you woundnt need this if you knew how to drive carefully.
(please no one bring up the topic about the CLR flipping at lemans. :D)

I hate this arguement. Based on this logic, A ultra-realistic combat flight simulator would still be great if you could crash your plane into a mountain and just bounce off, because "if you flew properly, this wouldn't happen". Thats BS.

One thing that makes you think twice before putting your F-15 200 feet off the deck at 800 knots to duck under radar coverage on the way back to base after a 2 hour mission in a combat sim is the risk of piling your Eagle into the ground. Its the same thing that keeps you from driving 110% balls out around the last lap of a 2 hour endurance race.

The risk of failure & its consequences are part of a good sim. Cars in real life that participate in an endurance race will be seen making slightly more conservative pass attempts, and slightly lower lap times, for the sake of enduring the race. (Hence the name - 24 hours of Le Mans is NOT to test the crews resistance to bordom)

now back to your thread.

Greyout
I hate this arguement. Based on this logic, A ultra-realistic combat flight simulator would still be great if you could crash your plane into a mountain and just bounce off, because "if you flew properly, this wouldn't happen". Thats BS.

One thing that makes you think twice before putting your F-15 200 feet off the deck at 800 knots to duck under radar coverage on the way back to base after a 2 hour mission in a combat sim is the risk of piling your Eagle into the ground. Its the same thing that keeps you from driving 110% balls out around the last lap of a 2 hour endurance race.

The risk of failure & its consequences are part of a good sim. Cars in real life that participate in an endurance race will be seen making slightly more conservative pass attempts, and slightly lower lap times, for the sake of enduring the race. (Hence the name - 24 hours of Le Mans is NOT to test the crews resistance to bordom)

now back to your thread.

Yeah I kinda already said I was wrong. :D

READ HERE-

live4speed
I guess so, if you flip over you should be out the race so why not, it's not going to happen often so it's not going to be repettitive and badly annoying unless it happens in an enduro but then there has to be risks.

pimp racer
Hmm... I guess you guys win then there should be fliping cars as long as it makes it harder. :D also I wonder since it looks like there is gonna be 3D pit crews!! It would be amazing to see a little movie type of thing where they push your car back to the pits during a enduro race,

Bottom Line...
The argument about Forza is hype.
Those screenshots are the best of the best. Show me some bad ones. There are plenty of crappy looking GT:P and GT4 screens in the galleries. I think the good GT4 shots look more realistic than the Forza pics.
I hope to get an XBox soon since my comp is too slow to play Half-Life 2, Doom 3, and Halo 2. Despite how good Forza might be, I will still play GT4 more than any other game (probably in my whole life!).
If anybody wants to convince me that Forza could be as good as GT4, then they will need something more than some screenshots. Gran Turismo has never-ever been hyped except here at GTPlanet.
We're comparing all these other games to GT because it is the best, hands down.
And that has nothing to do with which console is better, but it might be part of the reason that one console really is better. Good games are good games no matter what system they run on.

The best GT4 pics are rendered from photo mode, they will look better than Forza's. However it's all hype on both sides of the argument, until you've played both finnished articles you can't say which is best and which isn't. And Gran Turismo has ben hyped all over the place ever since the original GT.

I do agree that it doesn't matter what copnsole a game is on if it's good, it's good.

While your waiting for GT4 which is the obvious choice. Buy Live For Speed, or at least download the demo if u have a decent wheel and go do some twin drifting 👍

Yes, the Xbox is superior hardware wise, it's a commonly known fact. Thus the Xbox has an advantage over the PS2 and I don't see it taking advantage of it all that much. It's easier to develop for but still there hasn't been a good amount of quality games for it... anyway.. on subject...

Having crash anims/damage etc. would be nice to 'be there' but it doesn't detract from the game at all if it's not. If you look at Burnout 2 there were crash anims in that, but they were very repetetive.. almost everytime you crashed it was the same flip animation. I have a feeling that crashes in Forza may well be the same. A limited amount of animations that are used in different situations. This highlights a difference between PD and other developers. PD wouldn't just have a few animations used in different situation, they'd want the full works... whatever angle your car hits a wall the crash is totally based on that and speed and the damage differs per car etc.etc. it would all be majorly detailed. As I have said before, the PS2 has 32MB memory and that is used for physics, sound, graphics and all other things... to get a game like GT4 looking like it does on a machine with 32MB memory is totally impressive. PD utilise every last little bit of that memory and thus they can't stretch to other things without culling from other parts. PD have reached the limit of the PS2 and even then the game is way ahead of every other comparing title. Forza should end up a better game because of the hardware it has available, but I bet it doesn't. Forza strikes me as being NFS:U morphing into GT... I said this in another thread infact...

At the end of the day, GT has the tracks and cars that I want (would also like more but it's got a lot). I know I can turn my PS2 on and enjoy driving a car at a very realistic degree in a game that I enjoy. I have all the options to tune my cars and I have the graphics to enjoy the scenery... most importantly I have fantastic simulated handling and can truely get a feel for the cars. All of this and I don't own a DFP... yet.

If you feel a car flipping or getting scratched up is important to you, or if you feel reverse lights really 'make a game' then I suggest get Forza. If you want more cars on screen or prefer the Xbox pad, get Forza. If you want to rice your car to buggery and likely have a more arcadey feeling game then get Forza.

If you want a wide selection of cars on a wide selection of tracks surrounded by a single player game you know is tried and tested and proven to be extremely good, get GT4. If you want to focus on the driving and experience the best console driving experience possible, then get GT4. If you want to have a range of very unique cars that most likely wont be in Forza, GT4 is again what you should get.

There are many other reasons for and against both games, just decide what you want to do. I'm pretty damn sure though that GT4 will still be around in 2 years and still be great fun. In 2 years I'm sure Forza 2 will have already come out to capitalise on the fanbase and make MS more money. I bet you the jump from Forza to Forza 2 will not be nearly as great as the jump from GT4 to GT5..

Ubiquitous
If you feel a car flipping or getting scratched up is important to you, or if you feel reverse lights really 'make a game' then I suggest get Forza. If you want more cars on screen or prefer the Xbox pad, get Forza. If you want to rice your car to buggery and likely have a more arcadey feeling game then get Forza.

Forza has a very realistic feeling according to hands-on previews.

I absolutely agree that to truly compare the games you have to play both completed games.

My impressions of Forza (based on vids and screen shots) is that it is a solid effort but when compared to GT4 (based on vids and screen shots) it's not up to the same level, yet.

My biggest beefs with Forza thus far is the washed out "pencil crayon" type colouring of the game. Only problem is it's hard to know what build you're looking at, and how reflective of the final game it is. Hopefully for them they'll get the colouring a little more rich, like GT4. Even the in game vids look better in GT (not just photo mode renders). It seems as though there's a richer, deeper colour palette in GT.

Second, is the lack of force feedback ability for the XBox. Granted i've played most of the previous GTs with the DS, but from what the experts are claiming, and my brief experience behind the DFP with a demo of GT4P at an import shop... forget about it. People who complain about the physics of GT definitely aren't using a wheel or don't drive cars in real life. I was amazed that a game could capture such a solid sense of steering physics as GT did. Yes i did crank up the force feedback level (as recommended here) and that sealed the deal. It has pretty much guaranteed i will be getting the DFP the same time i pick up my copy of GT4.

My friend has XBox and is a huge car nut, so i'm sure he'll be getting Forza... so i will leave my full comparo until i've played both games... but i've been loyal to GT since #1 and i don't see that changing. ;)

As it stands right now GT4 is winning by a mile, but there's certain things that must have rattled a few GT4 fanboy's cages and with good reason, and here are some of those points

GRAPHICS

I don't see how we can even compare 62 screenshots from Forza to the 17 billion ( rough estimate I certainly can't count them ) for GT4 which a high percentage of them are in Photo Mode or Replays (Photo Mode will be awsome by the way)....

I've just watched the Forza Ferrari video from E3 the french guys talking in the background by far the best Forza video which shows what the game is all about, I'll try and find a link.....

PHYSICS AND HANDLING

At E3 the press agreed the handling of the cars was equal if not greater than GT4 in whatever build the game's were at the time (both games have obviously been improved on since then).

DAMAGE

The true fanboy will say he's "too good to crash" yeah well the game is not just designed for you there's thousands of people who buy these games and some of them may never have driven a car in there life. But even the best of the best crash it happens, and I just feel it's a big big minus point to GT4 in my opinion.

CAR SETUP

If it can happen in real life it can happen in Forza which seems to microsoft's route and I commend them upon it (Engine Swap's etc...) where as GT is more tried and tested and it works well...

Physics wise, gt4 will be better. At E3, I heard nothing but gt4 being the best in physics. I could quote some sites if you all want. Forza doesnt look all that impressive to me, I dont like the cartoonish look at all. The road textures are great but that's about it.

One further point I'll mention about damage. If PD did damage it would affect your play a lot. They would make it so that if you crashed and you wrecked your car it doesn't just respawn 2 seconds later 100% clean. I really hate that about damage... you crash yet it appears again fine or still runs fine.. then what the hell is the point of damage at all? If I ram a wall I wanna be penalised for it... ramming a wall may well kill you in reality but in GT4 it delays you enough to screw your time... I would get frustrated seeing my car have a lovely crash animation and look battered only to still run along fine.

Point is, harsh damage is too hardcore for a lot of those first time players you talk about Front. First time players are likely to crash a lot and if they have problems learning and achieving things in the game through overly realistic crashing they will stop playing. It's a fine line developers have to get right. I would love realistic crash damage but it would still frustrate me a lot even if I crashed rarely. Personally I feel unrealistic damage with crash anims is worse than what we have in GT4 already. I'd rather have no uber crashes and just have functional penalties than spectacular crash animations where you can continue driving seconds later as if nothing happened.

My comment about an arcadey feeling game made perfect sense I felt. I wasn't just touching on the possibility of the handling being more arcadey but also the graphics and everything else in the game gives me the impression of being more of an arcadey game than a sim. Like I said it is like NFS:U morphing into GT.

cobragt
Physics wise, gt4 will be better. At E3, I heard nothing but gt4 being the best in physics. I could quote some sites if you all want. Forza doesnt look all that impressive to me, I dont like the cartoonish look at all. The road textures are great but that's about it.

But you always quote sites which doesn't mention Forza. It's not possible to know
if they have tried Forza.

Check the hands-on previews I posted on page 7 in the "Forza" thread.

Forza's damage is weak. I saw a gameplay vid with a LMR in it, it hit the wall going 50mph and nothing happened to the car. I might have got a dint but that car is made out of fiber glass, correct me if I'm wrong. That car should have been destroyed, I'll wait till the ps3 for real damage.

erahk64
But you always quote sites which doesn't mention Forza. It's not possible to know
if they have tried Forza.

Check the previews I posted on page 7 in the "Forza" thread.
You are from gamespot, I know. They dont need to compare gt4 to forza, gt4 has already proven itself with the series while forza is a new comer.

Back