GT4 vs Forza [Let the battle begin]

• Thread starter Front
  • 5,710 comments
cobragt
Forza's damage is weak. I saw a gameplay vid with a LMR in it, it hit the wall going 50mph and nothing happened to the car. I might have got a dint but that car is made out of fiber glass, correct me if I'm wrong. That car should have been destroyed, I'll wait till the ps3 for real damage.

It's possible to switch off the damage or choose limited or fully simulated
damage (probably not visually) according to the developers.

Forza's damage is weak. I saw a gameplay vid with a LMR in it, it hit the wall going 50mph and nothing happened to the car. I might have got a dint but that car is made out of fiber glass, correct me if I'm wrong. That car should have been destroyed, I'll wait till the ps3 for real damage.

You can turn damage off so it's just like GT4 :)

Oh, I see but that doesn't change my mind about forza's damage. I'll wait for the nex gen to get real damage.

Who says ANY of the GT series will have damage.

cobragt
Physics wise, gt4 will be better. At E3, I heard nothing but gt4 being the best in physics. I could quote some sites if you all want. Forza doesnt look all that impressive to me, I dont like the cartoonish look at all. The road textures are great but that's about it.

How do you know gt4 will be better physics wise? Already a few games have beaten GT3/GT4 Prologue physics wise. It's impossible to say which game will have better physics.
btw, I read somewhere ( :P ) that ferrari is helping with the phyisics in forza.

cobragt
You are from gamespot, I know. They dont need to compare gt4 to forza, gt4 has already proven itself with the series while forza is a new comer.

Errr... that the GT series has already proven itself and the fact that forza is a newcomer does not matter. :/
They're simply testing which game is better.

Front
The true fanboy will say he's "too good to crash" yeah well the game is not just designed for you there's thousands of people who buy these games and some of them may never have driven a car in there life.

Easy dude,

Just because I can keep a car on the track doesn't make me a Fan Boy!

I think I advised you to buy x-box...twice

There is a whole thread about the impact penalty in Prologue forum, and the majority are against it. Like you say, there are first time racers who may crash, but do they want to be penalised twice? Once for crashing, and then limping about in a wrecked car.

Look..Forza looks damm good (silly to judge a game from a screen shot though)

but me, fan boy, that hurts ;)

Pak
How do you know gt4 will be better physics wise? Already a few games have beaten GT3/GT4 Prologue physics wise. It's impossible to say which game will have better physics.
btw, I read somewhere ( :P ) that ferrari is helping with the phyisics in forza.

Errr... that the GT series has already proven itself and the fact that forza is a newcomer does not matter. :/
They're simply testing which game is better.
You read somewhere? That really helps :indiff: GT3 is old, gt4p is a demo. But were they better than the E3 build of GT4? I have heard so much praise for gt4..........."it's the driving sim," "this is the most realistic game project in the history of games."
What about these "afew other racers?"

There are other races with more relistic physics than GT4:P, I haven't played the finnished GT4 and neither has anyone else here, so I don't know about that, but theres GPL, LFS S1 and GTR straight from the top of my head which are better than GT4:P and I know there are others.

cobragt
You read somewhere? That really helps :indiff: GT3 is old, gt4p is a demo. But were they better than the E3 build of GT4? I have heard so much praise for gt4..........."it's the driving sim," "this is the most realistic game project in the history of games."

I posted an interview with the developers on page 8 in the "Forza" thread where they mention it.

cobragt

Here's a link about the ferrari thing http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=17926

They have worked extremely hard to make the cars as realistic as possible and have even had people on the Ferrari racing team come in and check to make sure that the cars in Forza are performing as close to real life as possible.

Oh and with those other racers I meant the PC sims I mentioned earlier: LFS, GTR, GPL etc. :)

You just can't say that GT4 will have better physics than Forza and vice versa.

To answer the topic question: Both!

To me being the car nut that I am, love any game that features cars so I am getting both Forza and GT4 along with any other racing games that take my fancy.

Pak
Here's a link about the ferrari thing http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=17926

They have worked extremely hard to make the cars as realistic as possible and have even had people on the Ferrari racing team come in and check to make sure that the cars in Forza are performing as close to real life as possible.

Oh and with those other racers I meant the PC sims I mentioned earlier: LFS, GTR, GPL etc. :)

You just can't say that GT4 will have better physics than Forza and vice versa.

Yes but many games have claimed that they have been 'tested by .... for realism', in particular TOCA Race Driver was apparently tested for realism by race drivers, personally I think that these guys must have been drunk at the time.

You quote states that people on the Ferrari racing team came into test, what people, for all that statement says it could have been the cleaner!

The only way to judge a games handling is to play it, Forza, Enthusia, etc may have sublime handling or they may suck, but statements from developers should always be taken with a pinch of salt, particularly as these will have been 'approved' by a marketing department before release.

Scaff
Yes but many games have claimed that they have been 'tested by .... for realism', in particular TOCA Race Driver was apparently tested for realism by race drivers, personally I think that these guys must have been drunk at the time.

You quote states that people on the Ferrari racing team came into test, what people, for all that statement says it could have been the cleaner!

The only way to judge a games handling is to play it, Forza, Enthusia, etc may have sublime handling or they may suck, but statements from developers should always be taken with a pinch of salt, particularly as these will have been 'approved' by a marketing department before release.

I was not claiming anything with that ferrari quote, I was just mentioning they are working with ferrari. Just thought it was interesting.

btw, it could not have been the cleaner :P

erahk64
This is a interview with the developers with lots of info.
[...]
We worked with an engineer from Ferrari’s F1 program to completely simulate real-world suspensions. When configured to simulate a double “A” arm suspension, the track decreases as the suspension compresses and negative camber is introduced. In turn, the camber and weight affect the tire heat and thus pressure. Most consoles simply do not have the power to compute what we’re computing for the physics and still render a game.
[...]

And all I was trying to say is that you cannot tell which game has the best physics without playing them...

Thought I'd post this here aswell as in the other Forza discussion thread as it probably has more relevance in here.....

thanks, Robin

I think I have come to a conclusion of my own on the Forza / GT4 thing......

Forza is a real driving simulator for a different kind of driving.....things like modding cars, tuning and buying after market parts are all encorperated into "driving"........I recon Forza aims to go down the driving simulator route which is the NSFU, arcadey, more fun than serious type of thing. Forza should not really be compared to GT4 because GT4 shows the spirit and passion for driving on a more intense scale which not many people find desirable in a game. I have talked to people who just found GT3 too long and boring to complete...they rather have an arcadey, loadsa dream cars, more of the sweet sugar coated stuff (e.g. damage rather than AI) type of game.......

Forza is pretty, quick and sweet.......GT4 is determination, passion and intensity

Different people......different opinions on the defenition of driving simulator......different games, for different people!

But hey...........thats just my conclusion.......I choose GT4 because it has history and more staying power......it invented and revolutionised the 'car game' and also I feel that the Playstation platform shows a dedicated passion to gaming, as equal as the game developers.

Robin

they rather have an arcadey, loadsa dream cars, more of the sweet sugar coated stuff (e.g. damage rather than AI) type of game.......
Yes they have dream cars with proven racing pedigree's, Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini (Possibly). Damage rather than AI, from the previews i've been reading the AI is a big selling point unlike GT run on tracks predictable AI.
Forza should not really be compared to GT4 because GT4 shows the spirit and passion for driving on a more intense scale which not many people find desirable in a game.
Forza is not realeased yet so you dont know what "spirit" or "passion" and "intensity" it's captured i'd like to know what sources of information your basing this upon..
I recon Forza aims to go down the driving simulator route which is the NSFU, arcadey, more fun than serious type of thing.

Please..... many previews have already stated that Forza was as realistic if not a more realistic driving experiance than GT.

Quotes are from Here

I doubt Bill Gates (which by the way will never steal my woman!) is a hardcore gamer.....him and his high up, white shirt team sat around a table and had one goal.......take what GT4 has.......what is doesnt......and that will mean better.....
That is how they looked at it with the PS2 and Xbox.

Why is if Bill Gates a gamer even relevent.....

As for the damage and AI quote......I phrased that badly......what I ment was...(in the sense of what you see in a person) some people want the looks.....and other want the personality.......like windows xp and windows 2000......some want the performance and others want the performance...but they want it BLUE! I really can't explain what I am trying to say well......but Forza in the iceing and GT4 in the cake without the icing.....(too many analogies for now!!)

the only thing's GT4 has got on Forza is Photo Mode and slightly better graphics everything else is in microsofts court, Handling [equal too GT], Mod's, Damage, Dynamic Tracks and AI that learns, right now the only anology that would be correct would be...

Forza is the Cake, GT4 is the pretty pink icing with suger on top and a cherry or two..

PGR2 + NFSU + GT4 + cars that no other game company can get + Xbox ........

= The best driving simulator............that is the WRONG FORMULA!!!

let me put that another way,

Exotic Cars that are customizable in almost any way down to engine swaps with the handling and physics of GT with the power of the XBox powering it

VERY VERY GOOD FORMULA

to sum up briefly your sounding like an over zealous GT fanboy...

And you sound like you own an Xbox.....oh well...... :cool:

Anyway..... Yes, I admit I do like the GT series alot......and yes, you can analyze what I say......but hey.....if you like Xbox......and Forza.....thats great...you like what it offers and to you it is the best driving simulator. You like its style.....thats why it will sell and so will GT4......

As for the....."how can you tell because it hasn't been released yet" stuff......well niether has GT4.....I know what Forza it going to do (the basic plan (modes) etc ect) because Mircosoft has told the world.......and I also have the same detail of info on GT4.....FROM HOW I SEE THE GAMES NOW AT THEIR STAGES OF DEVELOPMENT AND KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT IT IS GOING TO GIVE THE GAMER I BASE MY JUDGEMENT.........

But you can't deny that there is a mixture of things in Forza which is not seen in GT4.......For me I think its trying to be to much......buy that is my opinion.

I was just arguing the point of GT4......this thread is GT4 or Forza.....For me......its GT4 for the reasons that I have outlined......thats all.....

Yep........GT Fanboy forever! ;) ......zealous.....NO!

Robin :D

Why is if Bill Gates a gamer even relevent.....

If I get this right.......you were going to say......"what does it mater if Bill Gates is a gamer or not.....its not relevent".......

Reason.........Bill Gates hired a team of white shirts to do some billion dollar research into 'what gamers what'.........Playstation learnt through the ages from the original to now what gamers want.....that is how they have perfected their console and image as a console provider from working at the level of the adverage gamer.

Bill Gates' team came up with......

Playstation 2 + More power + More Investment = Better........Performance doesnt nessarily mean better......there has to be the.......yes! appropraitely named X factor......Xbox doesnt mean X factor.....it means full screen antianalysing....

I have now said my peace.....thats it!

Robin

(and dont say how do u know what Mircosoft did!......from the type of company they are you would see an image like that comming from them!)

FROM HOW I SEE THE GAMES NOW AT THEIR STAGES OF DEVELOPMENT AND KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT IT IS GOING TO GIVE THE GAMER I BASE MY JUDGEMENT.........

One of the first things that strikes me, is the fact you keep refering to Forza as "arcade" even when multible previews say the handling is on par or better than GT4 at E3 in May.. Forza is going for the Ultimate simulation there not copying GT4 there simply making a simulation racer in that format and they have included a hell of alot of stuff GT is missing out on and what GT4 will be missing out on.

And it's really irking me how your putting across ludicroius points and views people will read your post and take it on face value....

That is why its a different game!!!!!!!!!!!! full stop. Arcade.....I am refering to the look.....not the AI!

And it's really irking me how your putting across ludicroius points and views people will read your post and take it on face value....

Whats that exsactly supposed to mean?

robin2223
For me I think its trying to be to much......
Also, don't forget that this is the first Xbox game that is trying to take the "Best Driving Sim" title. Forza is trying to put to much into a game when the console they're working on hasn't had a game like GT, they have to start from scratch, it's going to be very hard for Microsoft to put in everything they say they are and come out with a quality game without any previous experience or game to work on.

spawn9999999
GT4 might have Porsche and Ferrari and Lamborghini in it because EA's liscences are ending soon so maybe GT4 will have these cars. I still say go with the PS2, but wait until GT4 comes out and then decide because GT4 has tons of surprizes we don't know about.

BTW-Forza's damage is really cheezy, I hear it is only bumpers coming off and the what not. It barely makes a difference in the cars performance.

If that was to happen, then the release date may have to be pushed back. I am reall hoping though those manufacturers are the reason it got pushed back the first time. Would love to drive a Ferrari.

I think you are getting the impression that I am a sore loser......that I know Forza is better and I am making up a load of passionate PS2 and GT stuff to validate my point.......well youre wrong!

Forza is better because of the things you have listed......yes it has better graphics, yes its AI may well be astounding and yes it has loads of different games rolled into one.......and finally yes it is on a more technologically advanced system that the PS2...........Sore loser I am not.....

PS2 has GT.....the "real driving simulator".......that is good enough for me!

I have said why I don't like Forza because it is not the game, or the console for me......As for Fanboyism......some of you can't claim to be equally passionate about Forza and Xbox.......

Robin

If Forza has competitive AI that makes for good system races then I'm all for it, GT's pass and watch as I speed away approach of previous versions has always made me feel I'm not really racing in GT.

The AI thing is really interesting, but I will have to see how well it will work. Does anyonw know if Forza support FFB steering? I don't think there is one for Xbox anyway, and that is a BIG DOWN.

Back