GT4 vs Forza [Let the battle begin]

• Thread starter Front
  • 5,710 comments
JohnBM01
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages... Gran Turismo 4 was reviewed with a 5 out of 5 rating back early last month by G4 show "X-Play." Now the same duo of Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb finally reviewed Forza Motorsport. Allow me to analyze highlights of the review:

=====
FORZA MOTORSPORT REVIEW HIGHLIGHTS
=====
* over 200 licensed cars
* more money = more tuning!
* upgrade with paint, decals, body kits, etc
* online play rules over juggernaut Gran Turismo 4
* is there ANYTHING bad about the game? (maybe) music.
* what could be, might be, the best racing game of the year
-

AFTER REVIEW
* (Morgan) Every bit as good as GT4, only with online play and damage
* (Adam) Most frustrating element of GT4- difficulty; Forza's racing line is there to help you out in the turns.
* (Adam) dumbest title for a game since "Enthusia Professional Racing!"
=====
-end

So there you have it. GT4- out in stores. Forza- out in stores. X-Play likes both games. Gamespot reviews Forza, saying it's better than GT4. EGM says it's better than GT4. But who's opinion REALLY matters? Yours.

Oh, and let me make one confession about Forza before I close this post. I basically think that the XBOX now has a legitimate racing game title that really challenges Gran Turismo. I'm still convinced about GT4, and not looking to buy an XBOX and get Forza to go with it. However, you XBOX racers should be very proud to have a game like Forza Motorsport released in stores, available to buy, and probably even more available to love and enjoy. You want online and damage and certain other manufacturers, get this game now. Okay people, SOUND OFF!

Most reviews are written after just a certain time of gameplay. I always take them with a grain of salt. Especialy reviews which give game 5 out of 5.;)

In my opinion many drawbacks of GT4 where immediately(?) apparent, but after playing Forza for a while this game also displays some flaws. Thing that don't come up within the review period.

code_kev
I'm just waiting for the 14 year old who's never driven a real car in their life to jump and try and defend the DFP, or any wheel for that matter...

Kinda late, but yeah, that's me. I know, I know. I've never driven a car, right? You're absolutely right. But I am a WKA, World Karting Association, member, and I compete with the world's best in racing go-karts. I haven't had too much experience with the DFP, but the time I have spent using has been awesome. I've used a lot a wheels, and that's the only one which feels anything like my kart. It's the only wheel I know I'll ever use again. :)

PjotrStroganov
In my opinion many drawbacks of GT4 where immediately(?) apparent, but after playing Forza for a while this game also displays some flaws. Thing that don't come up within the review period.

Also, many of GT4's benefits weren't so immediately apparent. ;)

Arwin
Also, many of GT4's benefits weren't so immediately apparent. ;)

Of course.:D

I visit RaceSimCentral quite frequently, and I have seen a lot of die hard PC simmers buying a PS2 and DFP solely for GT4 and the Nordschleife. I am pleased with the fact that sim nutters find GT4 such an enjoyable game.:)

PjotrStroganov
Of course.:D

I visit RaceSimCentral quite frequently, and I have seen a lot of die hard PC simmers buying a PS2 and DFP solely for GT4 and the Nordschleife. I am pleased with the fact that sim nutters find GT4 such an enjoyable game.:)

I'm a sim nutter myself :D But I've always preferred driving regular cars and a wider variety of cars, like a good FF car (Alfa's, Golf V GTi, etc.), or cars like the GT-R Nür or RUF 3400S, and each time again I'm stunned how well done the simulation of these cars is; especially of the FF cars, as that's what I drive in real life - a no-assists (no ABS/TCS) 1995 Alfa 155 1.8 TS (8v version). When you feel those front wheels on and just over the edge of losing grip, the way that feels on the DF Pro is so real, it's downright scary! For that alone, I would have bought this game. And then the Nürburgring, which I've actually driven on in real life, it's just so well done! The only thing you don't get in the game is a true perspective on how steep the track is at times - that looks much more intimidating in stereoscopic vision in real life ;) - but other than that, it's really spot on! If you know the track and the lines in GT4, you know them in real life. I've tested this hands on, first driving 26 laps on the GT4 Preview disc in the BMW 120i (which revs similarly to my 155 and doesn't handle all that differently either, despite being an FR) and then went to do a lap on the real thing, and it was just the craziest thing to know the track like that the first time you drive there. Very useful too, knowing where you can best evade those 300km/h+ rockets that sometimes pass you by! :scared: :D (Veilside Porsche GT3, heavily tuned BMW M Coupes, etc.) I spend a lot of time now in Maastricht, which is where my girlfriend lives (I might move in with her) and since that's not too far, I will have more opportunities to go look there some more, maybe do another lap or two (as some of my friends frequently do). Looking forward to it!

I love GT4 ... Especially since we have so many LAN parties with it too, that makes up for the lack of online support quite a bit. Live is much better, and in the meantime you want to use all your time to practive the tracks and cars, so you do better next time. :D

Hey, but no dissing Forza, from my part. I think it's great that game is out there. But a game like that will need decent Force Feedback to win me over. The DTM GTR mod is the only game that I've played that has even better Force Feedback than GT (man, that was awesome).

Looking forward to GT on the PS3. :) In the meantime, though, I'll have my hands full with GT4 for quite some time yet. So many combos! :D

kinigitt
the time for sounding off has passed. both games are great. end of story.
Agreed. The problem with me is when I play Forza for a while, I get used to it and think it's better than GT4 but when I go back to GT4, I think it's better than Forza. That way I know both games are really good.

I say they are both equal. Sure the graphics are better on Forza, that is because the XBox system in general has better graphics. Forza sucks because you really cannot have custom soundtracks like they say you can. My only problem with GT4 (if you can call it a problem) is on the bumber view and you tap a wall the screen shakes but one can get over that. The games are basically the same.

pretty much i belive that Forza is much better. after playing GT4, i played forza immediatly following. GT4 the handling, is very un realistic. very tough. now Forza, very much easier..

yeah, me2 Diabo2 Lod
i have a sorc lvl92 named Nihat got much unique's
also the complete tal rasha set :dunce: awesome game i play it many hours i think like a couple of months together :crazy:

Back to topic, i have both of em gt4 and forza, and i play Enthusia more ...and like San Andreas was out today here so yeah like nonstop. 👍
In Gt4 im @ 45% and in Forza like 30%.
there are too many damn cool games@ the moment and i have such minor time :grumpy:

grtz

AE-86_DRFTR
pretty much i belive that Forza is much better. after playing GT4, i played forza immediatly following. GT4 the handling, is very un realistic. very tough. now Forza, very much easier..

Easier does not mean more realistic...and bud, you need to work on your grammar...

katana87
Your signature does say everything, you bought a lot of GT Games now isnt that going to benefit your rival not forza? :dopey:

my point is i have been a GT fan from day one, but lost interest in the series after playing FORZA. FORZA may not be as pretty as GT4, but the gameplay,physics, AI, and online play makes FORZA far more superior. oh yea, the ability to customize your cars with body kits and designing your own paint scheme, and the DRIVATAR blows away the B-SPEC mode in GT4.

Zero
I say they are both equal. Sure the graphics are better on Forza, that is because the XBox system in general has better graphics. Forza sucks because you really cannot have custom soundtracks like they say you can. My only problem with GT4 (if you can call it a problem) is on the bumber view and you tap a wall the screen shakes but one can get over that. The games are basically the same.
Zero, upload your CDs to the Hard Drive in a file.
Then go to Options, Audio, and select Soundtrack.

There you go.

I hate the Xbox and it PoS controllers, and I hate any money going to Microsoft to keep the monopoly going. Props to Sony for staying in (and I think winning) the game wars against such a monstrous foe in Microsoft and its cronies.

PS2, 3, 4, and forever, at least Sony allows others to compete. Microsoft would squash them at the first chance.

Forza can stay in the store, let others buy it. There already exists a top-quality racing title that this forum happens to be devoted to. End of story.

Zero

I disagree with the fact that Forza looks better. I would call the graphics equal on different levels. Even with the special scart cable Forza remains blurry on my(brother's) tv. Even when driving fairly close to my opponent, I often can't distinguish when he is braking. Also the vehicles look less "real" in replays. GT4 may have simpeler textures, but the 60Hz and sharper and more realistic image make up for this. I think they are on equal terms.

I hate the Xbox and it PoS controllers, and I hate any money going to Microsoft to keep the monopoly going. Props to Sony for staying in (and I think winning) the game wars against such a monstrous foe in Microsoft and its cronies.

PS2, 3, 4, and forever, at least Sony allows others to compete. Microsoft would squash them at the first chance.

Forza can stay in the store, let others buy it. There already exists a top-quality racing title that this forum happens to be devoted to. End of story.

S0Ny 4 LYFE!!!1!!

What a loser. I'm guessing 13 years old, male, PS2 was his first console. Listen man, in a few years time your gonna look back realise how damn stupid you sound. You judge a machine on games, and the xbox has many many fine games. So to sum it up, your a dumb ass. :ouch:

Forza looks better then GT4 in some ways, but over all, I would say that Gt4 has a far more eye pleasing style.

code_kev
S0Ny 4 LYFE!!!1!!

What a loser. I'm guessing 13 years old, male, PS2 was his first console. Listen man, in a few years time your gonna look back realise how damn stupid you sound. You judge a machine on games, and the xbox has many many fine games. So to sum it up, your a dumb ass. :ouch:

Forza looks better then GT4 in some ways, but over all, I would say that Gt4 has a far more eye pleasing style.

You're a wee bit off, let me correct you:

21 year old male, have owned NES, SNES, Genesis, Saturn, PS1, N64, Gamecube, PS2 and now Xbox, regretably. I am a Russian Linguist in the USAF serving at Fort Meade, MD, and have spent a large chunk of my life trying to find the time to play video games, as people like you are probably vice versa. My thoughts are, though harsh, at least intelligent and thought out.

Now for the fact that I'm a loser, that's cool.

First show me how you're not a loser (aka have you done anything to beneift the greater good in your entire life) and second take a step back and realize I was bashing Microsoft because they have the computer and now almost the gaming world in their death grip monopoly. I work for the gov't so I know what the effects of monopolies gets you: crappy computers and lowest-bidder technology.

So, in essence,

do me a favor and reply intelligently at least if you're going to insult me, ok?

Tony

My thoughts are, though harsh, at least intelligent and thought out.

PS2, 3, 4, and forever

HAHAHAHAHHA

Schue, come back down to Earth man, we aint talking government instalations here, and super computers, we are talking about TOYS. Toys, that's all they are. Now secondly, my point was that anyone with common sense judges a machine on it's games, what your saying is that if MS made the best machine ever, it cost $10 to buy, was as fast as the fastest super computer, could fit in the palm of your hand, the games cost $1 to buy, and were all the best of the best, you still wouldn't buy it because TEH EVAL M$ made it? If that's the case, then your a damn idiot. What MS did in the OS market is crap, I agree, but to judge a console on that is abit narrow minded. You complain about MS having a monpoly, but from the looks of it, it seems to me that Sony are the ones making an UTTER killing on the console market, with people such as your self to ass kiss Sony regardless of what they do. My opinion is that it's just games machines, I care not who makes it.

I care not, I bought an xbox, I enjoyed the games (which regardless of what you say, are usually better then the PS2 alternatives), and chances are, if the xbox 360 is any good, I'll get one too. I'll end up getting a PS3 too, but that's still a while off.

Schue7683
I hate the Xbox and it PoS controllers....
I've had an Xbox since shortly after launch and I also have several problems with it:
1. The huge size, weight, and the fact that it is a proven fire hazard.
2. My Xbox has the Thompson Drive, the crappiest drive known to mankind.
3. I have very large hands, but the controller that came with my Xbox 'may' have been useful for one thing....a boat anchor.
4. Very few software titles to suit my needs. I don't think that I've bought more than 5 games for this system and I only have two left: The Elder Scrolls III:Morrowind and PGR2. The only other halfway decent title was TOCA Race Driver 2, but that was a ridiculously short, easy, and buggy game that has since been sold.

Sony definitely has the market cornered on quality software ever since Nintendo went all kiddie.

The only thing that helped make PGR2 and TOCA RD2 playable at all on the Xbox was an adapter that I bought at Gamestop that allowed me to use the DualShock 2 Controller.

After playing the GT4 Demo, GT4, and now Enthusia with the DFP, I will not play another racing game with a controller. Since there aren't any good force feedback wheels for the Xbox, I won't be wasting money on Forza.

Back