GT5 multi screen support confirmed

• Thread starter SETWAVE
  • 298 comments

SETWAVE

(Banned)
SETWAVE
I have just been reading the GT5 official playstation magazine feature as noted on the home page. So head tracking with ps eye confirmed, for side and rear views using movements of the head. I ownder what head movement you have to do to look behind, look up possibly as if to see rear view mirror.
I was quite surprised to see the views will also be supported on multi screens with multi ps3. This is inspiring but makes me frustrated to know i can't afford to get more PS3 consoles or LCD TV's. It will surely be the ultimate GT5 setup though and make many fans jealous of whoever has it running.

kikie (FKA C'est moi) is going to be very happy:

From the What kind of TV are you playing GT4 on? thread:

* 2 extra PS3

* 2 extra flat screens.

3 PS3s + 3 screens + G25 + GT = FTW 👍

Nicely done C'est moi, nicely done!

From the Your GT5P Setup thread:

Ok, I'm going to show off with my setup :sly:

• Recaro seat
  • Samsung 245B 24" x3
  • Three PS3's 60gb PAL version
  • G25
  • 7.1 surround sound system. T9700 from creative.
The multi monitor setup doesn't work with GT5p. It's for GT4.

From the Post pics of your PS3 setup! thread:

Great news, but perhaps for future reference, can you tell us how you got it to work? Thanks.
Yes.

I was thinking, why doesn't it work. It had something to do with the IP addresses. So, I checked the IP addresses and Netmask from the PS3 itself (PS3 settings). Used these instead of the typical 192.168.0.1, .2, .3 and 255.255.255.0.

I'm using a linksys 250SD 5-port switch connected to a linksys router BEFSR41. Connect the PS3's to this switch with 3 ethernet cat5 straight cables. Check the IP address and Netmask from each PS3. (photo 13, 14, 15).

* Run GT4 on all three PS3's.

* Go to "options" and then go to "LAN play" (photo 1).

* "LAN settings" is the next menu that you get when you open LAN play (photo 2, 3, 4).

* Then go to "LAN connections" (photo 5). Photo 6 is the next menu.

* Don't forget to SAVE your settings! (photo 7).

* choose ARCADE MODE in the same menu as seen on photo 7.

* Choose "Multi LAN Race " (photo 8).

* Next menu: "internet service provider settings " (photo 9).
IP address
: take the IP address and the Netmask from your PS3 settings (photo 13, 14, 15). Click OK and you get the next menu. You can connect your PS3's in this menu. I don't really know if it is necessary but I connect the side monitors first (PS3's) and then the middle monitor (PS3), which is the host. If you did it right, you'll be connected within 15 sec.

* This is the result. (photo 10, 11, 12).

I did some other tests.

1) Switch connected to the router and "Use DHCP" set to "YES" = (automatic IP and Netmask) also works, (see photo 9 (change "no" into "yes")) .

2) Switch disconnected from the router and "Use DHCP" set to "no" = IP address and Netmask from the PS3, also works. (see photo 9).

3) Switch disconnected from the router and "Use DHCP" set to "yes" = (automatic IP and Netmask) doesn't work, (see photo 9 change "no" into "yes").

If you have questions, PM me and I'll gladly answer your questions.

attachment.php

I hope that multi screen support can also be used without any extra PS3's, you could have 1 screen running on HDMI and another running on AV. Its not ideal (having just 2 screens) but its better than going through tons of trouble to get 3 working.

Robin

I'm thinking more on using the PSP as a side or rearview mirror. Even maybe a HUD so you can get rid of all the info on the main screen.

I hope that multi screen support can also be used without any extra PS3's, you could have 1 screen running on HDMI and another running on AV. Its not ideal (having just 2 screens) but its better than going through tons of trouble to get 3 working.

Robin
Impossible because that would require too much rendering power. The reason you need 3 PS3s is because the resolution is 5760x1080, not 1920x1080 (or whatever resolution the game renders at). It's 3 times the resolution, so it needs 3 times the processing power.

Technically, you could probably get away with only 2 PS3s in terms of processing power, since while you're rendering the game over a much bigger resolution, it's still the same environment (you're only driving 1 car, etc.) Probably has to do with how the PS3 video outputting works.

I might be able to try this myself at some point because I have 3 24" LCD monitors for my computers and I have a PS3 and G25 as well. All I'd need to is borrow two PS3s from some of my friends (most of them which have a PS3) and I know several of them will be buying GT5 when it comes out, so I might talk with one of them to set this up over a weekend and have fun with it.

Impossible because that would require too much rendering power. The reason you need 3 PS3s is because the resolution is 5760x1080, not 1920x1080 (or whatever resolution the game renders at). It's 3 times the resolution, so it needs 3 times the processing power.

The funny thing is originally the PS3 was shown to have 2 HDMI ports (in the prototype) so that it could output games in a dual screen setup. This extra port was removed to reduce production costs but the power specs which the PS3 delivers has not changed from those early days. It might not be able to do both screens at full HD (maybe 1080p & SD or 720 & 720) but im sure it can be done to some capacity, such as maybe limiting its use to bumper view only. It all depends how much power dev's have already tapped out of the PS3.

PSP support would also be a good idea, using it as a rear view mirror, map or dials would be excellent.

Robin.

Multi screen sounds awesome, but I will just stick to the Track PS3 EYE cam instead. Cheaper.

I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of setting up a 3 x display setup, not least because I cannot stand the gaps that are created by the frames. Sure, it fills more of your left/right periphery, but it's nothing that can't be remedied by sitting closer to a larger screen, which in turn fills more of your up/down periphery too.

This is indeed great news to have this now confirmed.

I play FM3 this way like many others and it completely enchances the game, different but better and more exciting than even a projector.

What makes this even more exciting now is the headtracking also being supported. As for looking out the back window I would think you can look backwards with the standard button view but now also be able to look left/right out the back view and with multiple screens. Lets remember Forza 3 cockpits dont even have rear cockpit views.

Got my crazy hat on now!!!
The question is, will GT5 support this also in 3DTV mode on 3x24" 1080p 120HZ 3DReady monitors (like the Asus) that are coming?

So hold on if so which is quite possible then....
GT5 could be played with:

Triple screen panaromic vision via multimonitors
Head tracking for full 3D movement within a cockpit, not just left/right
Stereoscopic 3D on each screen combined with the virtual cockpit headtracking to also add visual depth perception!

Here is a good example of headtracking
Track Ir on GRID (Pc Version)

3 :censored:ING SCREENS!?!?! What's the matter with one? I'm stuck with ONE 32" SD TV, a DFGT, and ONE PS3, and I consider myself bleesed. Gimme one of those screens :lol:

some of those setups are awesome.. but the majority of us will be sticking to one id say.. One tv and one wheel will do me for now.. anything more and I might as well actually start racing in the real world.

A head tracking system is a very good and cheap alternative. Let's hope it will work flawlessly without lag.

I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of setting up a 3 x display setup, not least because I cannot stand the gaps that are created by the frames. Sure, it fills more of your left/right periphery, but it's nothing that can't be remedied by sitting closer to a larger screen, which in turn fills more of your up/down periphery too.

Not a chance mate you totally miss the point.
It doesnt matter what size of screen you use or how close you sit to it with a single screen you cannot replicate the same experience.
As for the borders/frames of the monitors you quickly learn not to even notice these. Besides sitting at a cockpit with 3x24" totally fills your peripheral vision anyways.

At the end of the day a 1080p single screen no matter what size it is will only show what every other single 1080p screen will. Yes bigger looks better but you dont get anything extra just scale.

With additional monitors you get to experience the game in more immerison. This not only increases the speed sensation as objects wizz past on the outer monitors but also allows you to see upcoming corners and has an effect it makes you feel your racing more in a 3D world than looking through a window like a single screen only offers.

Below are examples from FM3 Ive added from various views just to give an idea of the extra feel you get from within the enviroments.
In everyone of these if you have only a single screen then you would only see what is on the centre monitor. Trust me when your racing amongst other cars it feels great and with GT5 having upto 16 this will makes things even better over FM3

qsa43l.jpg

2craeye.jpg

20z5jsk.jpg

nn0j7m.jpg

Head tracking will to an extent give people the ability to move their vision across effectively what a 3 screen user sees but of couse at one screen width at a time.
This is benificial coming upto corners as your now going to be able to see apexs before you normally would on a single fixed screen position. Look at the screen below.
You can clearly see the apex on the right hand screen and the two actual ghost cars.
Head tracking would allow you to effectively see this by looking into the upcoming apex and the horizontal view slide over to the right.
The red frame illustrates what a single screen would likely show with head tracking.
The centre screen shows what you normally would see in a game and without head tracking.

sbrceb.jpg

2i0ryvl.jpg

Hope it helps

Last edited:
I thought I read that the 'head tracking' feature in GT5 was utilized differently to the one in TrackIR. So instead of tracking head movements and translating it into movements in the cockpit it would apparently adjust the focus of the screen to where you were currently looking. I can't remember where I read this, but it was from a Sony/PD rep if I'm not mistaken, and it seems a little too leftfield for them to have gotten it wrong on the spot.

A head tracking system is a very good and cheap alternative. Let's hope it will work flawlessly without lag.

The PS3 Eye supports upto 120HZ in low res mode.
Id assume with just head tracking via its face recognition it can achieve this so should be super smooth.

See Head Tracking & Face Recognition
HERE

It is possible they will use a focus feature to highlight the area your actually looking at down the road as it can detect this.
I think the Sony rep their was referring to something similar to what SHIFT does with the bluring.
That effect could be added but head tracking to me means they would copy like what is already available with "track ir" and offer a similar experience

Hope the video link above shows just what is cable.

Last edited:

Robin

You would need the PS3 to support that function, which at the moment it does not. Developers can't do anything about it. I believe it's possible though, since on one of the firmware upgrades the PS3 was updated so that you can now use two audio outputs simultaneously, HDMI or Digital and AV.

If the same was implemented for the video outputs it would be simply awesome -- One HDMI output for digital, high definition output at 1080p and the second output for either SD at 640i/p or high definition via component cables at analog 1080i/p. It's one of the features I want the most from my PS3.

Well, I have two PS3's but more than likely won't take advantage of this. Too much hassle!!

You could likely have one screen as a realtime replay or rear view mirror though, if that interests ya.

Are those rich b****** even remotely good at the game? I fail to see why some people spend so much money on a game.

Don't get me wrong, I have a friend who bought the visual racer for 800$+ "in preparation" for gt5, and that same person just touch the gt5 demo for 1 weekend and move on to other game, saying it's too hard. Wtf was that about? If you're not gonna play it then don't go splashing money around

/rant

If i had the money i would easily spend it on a game. Even the cost of an extra 2 ps3 consoles and 2 extra LCD TV's would only buy you a few days on a real track, including tyres and petrol etc. If the game is used for a few days or more its actually good value for money compared to real life, considering once that time is up you still own the assets of the consoles and the TV's whereas after the track days you only have the memories left.
And for me the game lasts a lot longer than a few days!
But then of course if i had the money i would always be on the real track aswell even more than the game.
As for an extra display i have a 19" lcd computer monitor i would love to use as a rear view screen. If the PS3 could output to that with a vga adaptor it would be fantastic. If the option was coded in to the game to power it a new interior cockpit view of lesser detail could be used to make it work.

Last edited:
I have two ps3's all i would need is one more and 2 more monitors, ahahah! But all seriousness it would awesome to have a complete setup. I would get real good use out of it I usually play GT games for years.

Well, I have two PS3's but more than likely won't take advantage of this. Too much hassle!!
No it's not. The only draw back is that it's very expensive. I use to enjoy the heat generated by three 60gb PS3's in my little playroom where there is no central heating.

Once you get it up and running, you can't do without the extra 2 screens anymore. The sense of speed is much more real with three monitors. It's easier to drive on very twisted tracks, where you can actually see the apex of the turn before you start to turn in. Which is the case with only one monitor.

The problem with the side views in GT4 was that they were stretched.

I'm not sure that I'm going to start with a 3 monitor setup in GT5 though. I'm not even sure that I'm going to get GT5.
There are some pc race games that interest me more at the moment. And a 3 monitor setup with pc race games is cheaper.

I'd love to play GT with multiple screens, but there's just too much money involved and I hardly think I have the room to set up 3 monitors. The headtracking feature should be a sufficient alternative, but I'll wait to see others opinions before I invest in a PSEye.

I don't care...
Great, so in future we'll run all new thread ideas through you before creating them, just incase you don't like the idea. :rolleyes:

Are those rich b****** even remotely good at the game? I fail to see why some people spend so much money on a game.
Most people who invest in such extravagant sim racing setups are very experienced and very enthusiastic about their hobby. If you have the money to blow away, why not?

If I had spare cash lying around I would do it, my money has other priorities first, always a nice included feature though.

but I'll wait to see others opinions before I invest in a PSEye.

Invest? You mean go without a Red Bull and Coke's for a couple days. :sly:

Half year without any drinks and you (me) get 2xps3's & screens easy.. (nothing to be proud of) In addition will get a little healthier too :D Sounds like a deal to me.

I don't trust people that don't drink from time to time. :sly:

I will try this multi screen setup as soon as the PS4 is out and the PS3 only costs 150-200 Euros each.

Back