GT5 multi screen support confirmed

• Thread starter SETWAVE
  • 298 comments
To give you guys moaning an example...

In the UK you can easily get a 24" Quality monitor below £160 NEW
2nd hand value of 22"-24" displays is about £80-£100.

In comparison when Forza 1 appeared and offered this feature a 5:4 19" TFT was much more costly anything between £400-£500 each.

Lots of family homes maybe already have a PS3, even more than one.
I used one in a game room and another in a living room. I purchased a 3rd 2nd hand from a friend hoping this feature would be supported. Also the PS3 is so easily carried between different rooms unlike X360 as its PSU is already included and I know of some that keep a seperate power/hdmi lead in their living room/games room and move the actual PS3 between each.

I wouldnt say this costs much cheaper to do on a PC at all if anything the opposite. The only major benifit is many more games support it. Also take into account you have to go out and buy the necessary beefy hardware required to give 3x1080p @ 60fps particulary on new games for anything to look close to as good as GT5 will.

The head tracking will cost all of £20 in the UK for the PS3 Eye.
Compare that to the PC for Track IR5 and it costs much more.
Also remember Sonys upcming 3D controller will need the PS3 Eye so Id say lots of people will end up buying it anyways.

If you wanna moan then take into account some of us enjoy building our own d.i.y frames etc. Chillicoke is a great example. Is he or others crazy to do that?

My own Cobra bucket seat purchased for my d.i.y frame cost almost the price of 2xPS3s alone which was harder to swallow so put that into perspective when someone is willing to build for themselves or indeed buy something like a Renn Sport.

Half year without any drinks and you (me) get 2xps3's & screens easy.. (nothing to be proud of) In addition will get a little healthier too :D Sounds like a deal to me.

I don't think sitting in front of a games console gets you healthier. I'm not having a go just pointing that out to our younger veiwers lol.

If I had the money lying about and room in my bedroom, I'd so go ahead and set up a multi-screen setup for GT5.

But, alas, somebody didn't consult with me before taking apart the bunkbed and making it two seperate beds.

So, at this point, it's either one screen, or move to my own place.

Don't forget that not everbody has the cash to spend on a multi monitor setup.

I sold my multi monitor setup (includes everything > G25, 3 ps3's, 7.1 surround decoder, 3 GT4 copies, 3 24 " monitors, GT5p) in october 2008.

If and only if GT5 is much better than GT5p, and it has all the feature mentioned; full real time damage, realistic hardcore physics, realistic and not stretched side views like in GT4 and more, I consider getting a multi screen setup for GT5. At the moment, I'm not convinced that GT5 is worth spending all that money on a 3 monitor setup. Netkar Pro, Shift, and other pc games are worth it though.

3 monitor setup for pc is not as expensive as you let on.

If you use a matrox triple head2go digital version, you don't need full HD monitors. As a matter of fact, the matrox can't go higher than 3x 1280x1024 or 3x 1680x1050. The matrox is not that expensive.

If you should use the softTH software, you need a graphics card that is capable of driving 2 monitors. The third monitor only needs a cheap graphics card. I believe it is even possible to use the softTH with only one graphics card which has 3 outputs. You don't need full HD monitors like you said. So, get smaller monitors and it's not as expensive as you let on.
On the other hand, if you want to play GT5, you need 3 full HD monitors if you want to enjoy the graphics of GT5. Not 16:10 but 16:9 wide screens. You don't need to have big monitors with a pc. You can adjust the resolution of the graphics card and the graphics settings ingame. (But you already know that :))

As for the trackIR5. Forget that expensive tool. Download the "free track" software, make yourself a 1 or 3 LED's clip or cap version. Buy a simple a webcam and you're in business. You can even use the PS3 eye toy thing as a webcam for free track. I made one and tested it with netkar Pro and it works perfectly.
So that's a very cheap, and as good as the trackIR, solution.

You don't need 3 copies of the same game if you use a pc setup.
You do, if you have a GT5 multi monitor setup. 3 copies of GT5 is expensive!
You need to buy a switch to connect the 3 PS3's in a LAN through UTP cat 5 cables, which you also have to buy if you want a multi monitor setup for the PS3. PC doesn't need that.

If the eyefinity of ATI is not too expensive, you don't need the matrox th2go or a second graphics if you use softTH, anymore. Which make pc gaming with a multi monitor setup even less expensive.

This is what head tracking is like in NetKar Pro on the PC. You can see looking into the apex helps a lot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPrb1FPKgYw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BODmixVU68

and in LFS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfOp2JoGv-Q

But 3 monitors is the way to go even then. In 2-3 years time a 2nd hand PS3 Slim is gonna be pretty cheap, so pick up another 2 and it'll be real nice!
Looks good, especially when you go through a chicane and see the viewpoint shift accordingly. I'd much rather have head tracking like that rather than three split monitors complete with gaps caused by the frames. Now, if it was a single wraparound monitor, that's different.

There are wraparound LCD monitors, but a PS3 won't drive it out of the box
Although I think it's treated as 3 separate monitors

Last edited:
There are wraparound LCD monitors, but a PS3 won't drive it out of the box

Yeah, I'm sure I've see it before...that's more like it. I was thinking more along the lines of a wide, curved monitor to completely eliminate those vertical transitions though.

I would, but my main screen is a 27" Dell monitor which cost about £600, and 27" screens are few and far between so I would have smaller screens for the side view which would probably look dumb.

Don't forget that not everbody has the cash to spend on a multi monitor setup.

I sold my multi monitor setup (includes everything > G25, 3 ps3's, 7.1 surround decoder, 3 GT4 copies, 3 24 " monitors, GT5p) in october 2008.

If and only if GT5 is much better than GT5p, and it has all the feature mentioned; full real time damage, realistic hardcore physics, realistic and not stretched side views like in GT4 and more, I consider getting a multi screen setup for GT5. At the moment, I'm not convinced that GT5 is worth spending all that money on a 3 monitor setup. Netkar Pro, Shift, and other pc games are worth it though.

3 monitor setup for pc is not as expensive as you let on.

If you use a matrox triple head2go digital version, you don't need full HD monitors. As a matter of fact, the matrox can't go higher than 3x 1280x1024 or 3x 1680x1050. The matrox is not that expensive.

If you should use the softTH software, you need a graphics card that is capable of driving 2 monitors. The third monitor only needs a cheap graphics card. I believe it is even possible to use the softTH with only one graphics card which has 3 outputs. You don't need full HD monitors like you said. So, get smaller monitors and it's not as expensive as you let on.
On the other hand, if you want to play GT5, you need 3 full HD monitors if you want to enjoy the graphics of GT5. Not 16:10 but 16:9 wide screens. You don't need to have big monitors with a pc. You can adjust the resolution of the graphics card and the graphics settings ingame. (But you already know that :))

As for the trackIR5. Forget that expensive tool. Download the "free track" software, make yourself a 1 or 3 LED's clip or cap version. Buy a simple a webcam and you're in business. You can even use the PS3 eye toy thing as a webcam for free track. I made one and tested it with netkar Pro and it works perfectly.
So that's a very cheap, and as good as the trackIR, solution.

You don't need 3 copies of the same game if you use a pc setup.
You do, if you have a GT5 multi monitor setup. 3 copies of GT5 is expensive!
You need to buy a switch to connect the 3 PS3's in a LAN through UTP cat 5 cables, which you also have to buy if you want a multi monitor setup for the PS3. PC doesn't need that.

If the eyefinity of ATI is not too expensive, you don't need the matrox th2go or a second graphics if you use softTH, anymore. Which make pc gaming with a multi monitor setup even less expensive.

Firstly mate can you play GT5 on PC?
Ahh thats the whole point of interest here my man.

As for PC sorry but I long ago got fed up with driver issues, crashes and problems. TH2G needs a 57HZ compatible 16:10 monitor at the res you mention and those are harder to come by now as well. Eyefinity is interesting but again having a PC upto it would cost quite a bit of money.

Secondly and no offence here but you of all people are in no position to talk about value for money or doing this when you spent considerably more.
When you bought what you had for exactly one game (GT4) supporting the feature and when 24" screens were easily double and more what they cost now and PS3 also cost considerably more.

The point is if someone expects to play GT5 lots then isnt this a great way to experience it. Also another way to look at it is to consider the price of 2x PS3 and 2 extra games with triple monitors. Combine all that and it would cost close possibly actually less than many good quality 1080p projectors and screens would cost.

I would comment that although gaming on a big screen is indeed lots of fun its more exciting to play with multiscreens. If people want to experience GT5 at its best then this oboviously is the way to go.

Additionally if S3D is supported on multimonitors then PS3 may very well be able to achieve something PCs can not even handle yet and thats triple screens in Stereoscopic 3D (Example = Acer new 120Hz 24" monitor)
Now how does triple screens in Stereoscopic 3D with 3D head tracking sound to folk here?

Id say mouth watering but possible within the year.
Technically this could be a new benchmark possible for a racing game as on PCs TH2G certainly cant support it and I dont see such an option coming anytime soon for Eyefinity.

Last edited:
you need 3 PS3, and 3 monitors, each PS3 to 1 monitor

I suppose you need 3 GT5 as well.... or maybe you can install the whole thing onto the harddrive

head tracking like this is definitely more immersive!

here PS eye head tracking in action. Just imagine, no more static view in GT5 cockpit, not just left/right, but forward/back as well
It tracks your nose in relation to your whole head

from 2:30 onwards - freaky!

Firstly mate can you play GT5 on PC?
I was mearly reacting on your comment that multi screen setup is not necessarely much more expensive than with a PS3, mate! I know this thread is about GT5 and a multi screen setup.

As for PC sorry but I long ago got fed up with driver issues, crashes and problems.
You are 100% right about that.

But the best race games are for pc. If only the Playstation was as powerfull as the most powerfull gaming pc and if only all race games/sims were also available for this playstation, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a playstation instead of a pc.

Mr Latte
Secondly and no offence here but you of all people are in no position to talk about value for money or doing this when you spent considerably more.
Yep, quite right.

But you don't know the background of my state of mind when I bought all of these things. And, I sold everything when I was, let's say, cured! I wouldn't do it again, unless GT5 is worth it and I can combine this setup with pc games.

It was my intention to comment on your very nice comment;
Mr. Latte
Mr. Latte
If you wanna moan .......
It sounds so patronizing, doesn't it?

I was just trying to say that not all of those guys that are moaning, according to you, have the money (literaly) to buy a multi monitor setup. Because you have the money to buy all these things, doesn't give you the right to say that they (= guys) are moaning. Have some respect for other's financial situation.
Mr Latte
When you bought what you had for exactly one game (GT4) supporting the feature and when 24" screens were easily double and more what they cost now and PS3 also cost considerably more.
True!
fair enough!

After a while, I regretted to have spend all that money on this setup, hence me selling everything.
But isn't it as stupid to buy a multi monitor setup for just one game, namely GT5?
It's excatly the same thing as I did, although this setup would be much cheaper than the one I had. It's still an expensive setup for just one game.

Mr. latte
The point is if someone expects to play GT5 lots then isnt this a great way to experience it.
yes, it would, absolutely, as I have said in a previous post;
*snip*
Once you get it up and running, you can't do without the extra 2 screens anymore. The sense of speed is much more real with three monitors. It's easier to drive on very twisted tracks, where you can actually see the apex of the turn before you start to turn in. Which is the case with only one monitor.*snip*

Mr Latte
I would comment that although gaming on a big screen is indeed lots of fun its more exciting to play with multiscreens. If people want to experience GT5 at its best then this oboviously is the way to go.
Yes, it is.

Mr Latte
Additionally if S3D is supported on multimonitors then PS3 may very well be able to achieve something PCs can not even handle yet and thats triple screens in Stereoscopic 3D (Example = Acer new 120Hz 24" monitor)
Now how does triple screens in Stereoscopic 3D with 3D head tracking sound to folk here?
That would be awsome! As I have experience with 3D race games, it is only possible on one monitor as you said. I downloaded the stereoscopic drivers from iZ3D.

But 3 stereoscopic monitors is even more expensive. Where does it end? If only ........... we all were multi millionaires.

And on this bomshell, I'll end this post.

Mr Latte, nice discussion!

Last edited:
It doesnt matter how many games you play with it, the total amount of usage hours (per time unit) is the variable that can be used to define if it's enough to make it worth it (if one needs to do that).

Impossible because that would require too much rendering power. The reason you need 3 PS3s is because the resolution is 5760x1080, not 1920x1080 (or whatever resolution the game renders at). It's 3 times the resolution, so it needs 3 times the processing power.

Technically, you could probably get away with only 2 PS3s in terms of processing power, since while you're rendering the game over a much bigger resolution, it's still the same environment (you're only driving 1 car, etc.) Probably has to do with how the PS3 video outputting works.

I might be able to try this myself at some point because I have 3 24" LCD monitors for my computers and I have a PS3 and G25 as well. All I'd need to is borrow two PS3s from some of my friends (most of them which have a PS3) and I know several of them will be buying GT5 when it comes out, so I might talk with one of them to set this up over a weekend and have fun with it.

From what I understand you dont need 3 times the power to run 3 times the resolution. People running ATI's Eyefinity have said while performance is worse, its not 3 times worse.

You could also have the option of running at a lower resolution if you want to run multi screens. 1920x1080 on 1 screen is 2.1 mega-pixels, 3 screens is around 6.2 mega-pixels, 1280x720 on 3 screens is only 2.8 mega-pixels. You could also drop the framerate a bit if need be.

EDIT: Whoops, I opened this thread and only a few posts loaded, so I responded not realising there was 3 pages of posts :P Sorry

Id say mouth watering but possible within the year.
Technically this could be a new benchmark possible for a racing game as on PCs TH2G certainly cant support it and I dont see such an option coming anytime soon for Eyefinity.

Well, within a year nVidia should have its next generation out, no one knows what that will bring. Don't know if ATI are doing as far as 3D is concerned, but a year can go a long way in PCs.

Last edited:
head tracking like this is definitely more immersive!

here PS eye head tracking in action. Just imagine, no more static view in GT5 cockpit, not just left/right, but forward/back as well
It tracks your nose in relation to your whole head

from 2:30 onwards - freaky!

I had seen the first movie but the second one made me think head tracking is at least as sweet as 3d. I hope they implement it that good in the game.

But the best race games are for pc. If only the Playstation was as powerfull as the most powerfull gaming pc and if only all race games/sims were also available for this playstation, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a playstation instead of a pc.
What you really mean is, you are impatient, and so are not able to wait for the console games to catch up, which they always do, and then some.

As already said with PC gaming, I got sick and tired of playing "chase the hardware", and constant problems with drivers and whatnot. I'm sure things may have improved some, but I'm much happier with spending £300 every 5 or 6 years on a new console that is stable.

3 monitors, 3 PS3s, 3 copies of the game... Nah, I'd rather spend the money one one single large display that many other things can take advantage of.

jealousy is a sad thing but i have to say i hate anyone who has the three screens set up and dislike the person with 3 gen 1 60gb ps3s even more. Gimme gimme gimme i want.

As already said with PC gaming, I got sick and tired of playing "chase the hardware", and constant problems with drivers and whatnot. I'm sure things may have improved some, but I'm much happier with spending £300 every 5 or 6 years on a new console that is stable.

The good thing about PCs is basically everyone needs one anyway, and although a gaming PC is expensive, its no more expensive than a non-gaming PC and a console. People over rate the "chasing the hardware" thing, my PC has been good to me for 3 years and still plays games at a good level, more power than a 360 or PS3, and if I want to go for another few years I can just whack a new video card and a couple gig extra ram into it. You only chase the hardware if you want to play with everything maxed and tons of filters... people do it more for the joy of upgrading rather than the actual need to play games.

Ive not made fun of anyones financial situation or indeed try to look down on anyone kikie. Id like people here to understand that.

However Id like to put across it is hardly fair that those who are willing or wanting to do the multiscreen thing should be condemened or name called for either wanting to or having the money to do so. Some comments were going in that direction. Ive added an example of such a system and broke it down for people to consider.

Yes id agree if someone was being a twit and saying rude things to others regards money situations but that hasnt been the case. As for PC hardware again in many cases people spend huge amounts of money on hardware mainly for 1 or 2 favourite or upcoming games.

I cant believe the money you spent on the setup you had to sell it before GT5even arrived. I can understand you getting frustrated as having such a setup to only read GT5 wasnt appearing in 2008 and even now past 2009.

My example is quite different as I already have purchased the screens for the FM3 setup. I already owned 2x PS3 (1x game room 1x living room) Therefore in my situation having already made those investments in hardware/entertainment all I needed was 1x more (2nd hand) PS3 and 2 additional copies of the game. Now that seems not to bad costing me only a further £260 to be able to experience GT5 this way, would anyone here not spend £260 to experience the game that way?

Likewise If I get back into PCs I will only need the appropiate upgrades on my PC to make it powerfull enough to enjoy triple monitors on it also. However I wont have the time to play FM3/GT5 and PC games so my decision is to get my entertainment back from those games Ive invested the hardware into.

Brand New Multimonitor Setup
Lets put the price of a PS3 triple screen setup inc 24" monitors with a Turbo S quality wheel.

3x PS3 = £750 (INC OTHER FREE GAMES BUNDLED)
3x 24" Monitors £480 (Cheaper Available)
3x Game Discs £120 (A user could buy some 2nd hand costing less)
1x Turbo S £250 (other wheels could cost much less)

Total £1600 New
Lets assume a user plays GT5 for approx 16 hrs a week.
They do this for simplenes sake for almost 2 years therefore 100 weeks.
16x100 = 1600

Now on that basis it would cost a single £1 to play GT5 in triple screens per hour. Is that bad value to anyone here? Would even £2 an hour with only 8hrs a week playtime still be bad? Not only that but they still have the 2nd hand value of the hardware. Yes they may not play 16hrs a week but at the same time they could purchase cheaper monitors/wheel etc.

In various ways it could be broke down in those cost/playtime terms even if buying new or of course already owning some of the hradware and I think you would find it hard to have much better entertainment value for approx £1 an hour.

Thats certainly how Ive approached my own situation.

Last edited:
This looks pretty cool - Rennsport cockpit, Triple screen setup, custom dash, switches. Looks very well done.

Attachments

• DSC01291.jpg
    DSC01291.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 62
Who's cockpit is that? Looks like a great setup.

Once I get my own house, and If I do have a basement, I will build my own from scratch with 3 screen layout, Both for Console racing and PC sim racing.

I will take a look on ebay if someone one is selling USB devices (buttons, gauges etc etc for PC sim racing) :D

Now on that basis it would cost a single £1 to play GT5 in triple screens per hour. Is that bad value to anyone here? Would even £2 an hour with only 8hrs a week playtime still be bad? Not only that but they still have the 2nd hand value of the hardware. Yes they may not play 16hrs a week but at the same time they could purchase cheaper monitors/wheel etc.

In various ways it could be broke down in those cost/playtime terms even if buying new or of course already owning some of the hradware and I think you would find it hard to have much better entertainment value for approx £1 an hour.

Thats certainly how Ive approached my own situation.
£/hr is irrelevant, because it still costs £1,600 in the first place. Anything measured in "something per something" can always be justified.

What you are still left with is a £1,600 rig that really only serves one purpose. Fine if you have plenty of cash, but that same money can get you a setup based around a 52" screen with head-tracking, which is also good for any game and for movies. Faced with a choice, I know what I'd pick.

What you really mean is, you are impatient, and so are not able to wait for the console games to catch up, which they always do, and then some.
What do you mean, impatient?

What I meant to say is that the best race games/sims are only available on pc and they will probably never become available on a console.
I was thinking about netkar Pro, iracing, historic GT & TC mod for rFactor, rFactor 1 & 2 and so on... .

And nope, I'm not impatient, I'm realistic.

If these race sims were available on console, I wouldn't hesitate to get a console instead of a pc, which you have to upgrade every year to be able to keep up with the more and more demanding pc games.

How old is the ps3? Are there any serious race sims on the ps3. I don't think so. I don't consider GT5 as a serious race sim.

Last edited:
Back