GT5 multi screen support confirmed

• Thread starter SETWAVE
  • 298 comments
Are there any serious race sims on the ps3. I don't think so. I don't consider GT5 as a serious race sim.
I don't consider any of the other games you mentioned serious race sims either, because being pedantic, no racing game simulates what it feels like to race a car around a track.

I don't consider any of the other games you mentioned serious race sims either, because being pedantic, no racing game simulates what it feels like to race a car around a track.
We are going a bit off topic here but I have to agree with you. No race game/sim can replace the real thing.

£/hr is irrelevant, because it still costs £1,600 in the first place. Anything measured in "something per something" can always be justified.

What you are still left with is a £1,600 rig that really only serves one purpose. Fine if you have plenty of cash, but that same money can get you a setup based around a 52" screen with head-tracking, which is also good for any game and for movies. Faced with a choice, I know what I'd pick.

Indeed that £1600 is for a specific purpose towards mainly one game but hardly irrelevant. Assume for instance someones aim is to play GT5 in the best possible way and they want a racing cockpit. The fact that you can also enjoy extra things like TV and Movies on a bigger screen is not so important if the persons requirement is solely that they want to play GT5 in the best possible way. Of course if they want more funcionality then yes a big screen is best suited to them.

Looking at the money spent and considering the amount it will be used/needed/wanted/enjoyed is what we do with nearly every purchase we make. The answer to what is best for that person depends on the individual.
Also if properly considered then you can ensure your making the correct decision/purchase.

As for faced with a choice I already have a 1080p large screen projector like lots of people. but still I want to play GT5 and experience it in multiscreens which is a superior more immersive way to play. Therefore like many I decided I wanted a dedicated cockpit. Also when you sit about 2-3 ft away from a triple screen setup it totally fills your peripheral vision anyways so doesnt look small at all on 24" displays.

Everyone will have different requirements,circumstances and wants but I know lots of people could easily spend £1600 in much more foolish ways and have nothing or very little to show for it.

Most of you seem to forget one thing (no pun intended). A multi screen setup is a lot more immersing (or is it immersive) as you would think. Having 2 monitors at your side gives you the feeling that you're actually driving an a road/track. It's the same as in a real car. Try this the next time you're in a driving car, as a driver or a passenger. Put both hands beside your eyes, blocking your peripheral view. This gives you an idea how it is when playing on one monitor. Put your hands down and that will give you an idea of how it is playing on a multi monitor setup.

A head tracking system can never replace the peripheral view you always have when playing with a multi monitor setup.

And .... the sense of speed is a lot more realistic than when playing on one monitor.

Additionally if S3D is supported on multimonitors then PS3 may very well be able to achieve something PCs can not even handle yet and thats triple screens in Stereoscopic 3D (Example = Acer new 120Hz 24" monitor)
Now how does triple screens in Stereoscopic 3D with 3D head tracking sound to folk here?

Id say mouth watering but possible within the year.
Technically this could be a new benchmark possible for a racing game as on PCs TH2G certainly cant support it and I dont see such an option coming anytime soon for Eyefinity.

http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=8203

Looks like PCs will very soon be able to do 3 displays running 3D:

•Uses GT200 and upcoming GF100 GPUs.
•3D gaming on up to 3 displays.
•Support for many existing games (like Batman Arkham Asylum, Left 4 Dead, and Dawn of War II).
•3D movie playback.
•40 hours of playtime before needing to recharge batteries on glasses.

Yes ive been reading of more 3D support coming for PC at CES from Nvidia / ATI and PC/3D Blu Ray

One problem though, this likely is going to need a £400-£500 graphics card to run the latst modern games in triple 1080p @ 120 HZ and of course a beefy pc system. Also might be a few driver updates before they likely get it really well implemented certainly as well as Nvidia have done a good job so far for games support.

Even taking that onboard its fair to point out that GT5 if indeed it can do such will still be graphically at the sharp end and by all means possibly the most technically advanced console racing title available.

Yeah, it'll cost a lot in graphics cards and TVs/monitors. But someone has to push the boundaries before it becomes standard. To run 3 TVs in GT5 will take a lot of money worth of PS3s and monitors or TVs also.

I'm skeptical about 60fps 3D anyway (30fps per eye using shutter glasses) as I've heard that low frequency of a blinking image can make a lot of people sick, so I'm waiting for 120Hz monitors and TVs anyway (as far as I'm aware current 120Hz TVs can't actually accept a 120Hz signal anyway, only duplicate frames).

Sorry if this has been asked, but do we know how the multi-screen display will be implemented? If it's implemented the same way as GT4 then that means that the game will also support LAN play, which is awesome.

Yeah, it'll cost a lot in graphics cards and TVs/monitors. But someone has to push the boundaries before it becomes standard. To run 3 TVs in GT5 will take a lot of money worth of PS3s and monitors or TVs also.

I'm skeptical about 60fps 3D anyway (30fps per eye using shutter glasses) as I've heard that low frequency of a blinking image can make a lot of people sick, so I'm waiting for 120Hz monitors and TVs anyway (as far as I'm aware current 120Hz TVs can't actually accept a 120Hz signal anyway, only duplicate frames).

I think the idea is that even if the frame update from the source (PS3) is 30fps, the tv refresh and shutter glasses work at a higher frequency, 120Hz and above.

Regarding the recent sub topic discussion on the comparisons between console and PCs, Digital Foundry recently conducted research and testing on post-processing technology and performance of PCs and consoles which had some very interesting results. So as not to get any more off topic, I went ahead and started a new thread regarding an article on these results:

PS3 Smoothing Beyond that of High-end PC Graphics Card

I think it would be cool to have 3 of everything PS3, monitors, wheel and seatframe. So when your buddies are around you can race each other and when they are not then hookup the 3 monitors and PS3 together so you have your 3 way monitor setup. But it's always about money.

£/hr is irrelevant, because it still costs £1,600 in the first place. Anything measured in "something per something" can always be justified.

What you are still left with is a £1,600 rig that really only serves one purpose. Fine if you have plenty of cash, but that same money can get you a setup based around a 52" screen with head-tracking, which is also good for any game and for movies. Faced with a choice, I know what I'd pick.

Having 3 PS3s, 3 (decent sized) LCDs and three copies of GT5 can serve more than just a single purpose if you buy two more wheels (along with the one you already have). What you have is the ultimate MP setup when you have friend's over. Move the screens around, throw some tables and chairs, setup two more accounts, and **** the split-screen.

If I were to try it out with the two PS3's I have (one fat and one slim) I would only need one game am I correct?

If I were to try it out with the two PS3's I have (one fat and one slim) I would only need one game am I correct?
If I understand you correctly, no you need two copies of the same game.

If I don't understand you correctly, yes you only need one game. At this moment, you need GT4. You also need a PS3 that can play PS2 games, like GT4.

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been asked, but do we know how the multi-screen display will be implemented? If it's implemented the same way as GT4 then that means that the game will also support LAN play, which is awesome.

I really hope for a LAN mode. Too many games miss it these days.

However multi screen doesn't guarantee LAN play. Forza 3 has multi screen but no system link :(. Forza1/ 2 had both :).

Having 3 PS3s, 3 (decent sized) LCDs and three copies of GT5 can serve more than just a single purpose if you buy two more wheels (along with the one you already have). What you have is the ultimate MP setup when you have friend's over. Move the screens around, throw some tables and chairs, setup two more accounts, and **** the split-screen.
True, but it's still only good for the purpose you describe, which was my original point. With plenty of space and plenty of money, of course a lot of us would have a dedicated multiscreen/multiplayer racing setup. As things stand, one large display that can be used by Blu-ray players, PVRs, games consoles, media players etc. is far more sensible for most people.

I really hope for a LAN mode. Too many games miss it these days.

However multi screen doesn't guarantee LAN play. Forza 3 has multi screen but no system link :(. Forza1/ 2 had both :).

I know it doesn't but by going with the precedent, there's a chance that it will be via LAN. I certainly do hope so! :)

By the way, how did Forza implement multi-screen support without additional systems?

I know it doesn't but by going with the precedent, there's a chance that it will be via LAN. I certainly do hope so! :)

By the way, how did Forza implement multi-screen support without additional systems?

Of course you need n systems and n disks for n screens in Forza. You just can't play against each other via LAN, everyone needs XBL gold :ouch:

just interested on how good this will look with different sized monitors, i have 2 ps3s and a 50" tv and a 32" tv(both of which cannot be moved) and then 2 19" tvs so could i put the 2 19" TVs next to the 32" tv and still have it look okish(obviously with extra games and extra ps3)

Did gt4 have other multi-screen options other than center, right, left. like forza 3 has rear view cam and replay. I am mostly interested if it will have rear view??

Did gt4 have other multi-screen options other than center, right, left. like forza 3 has rear view cam and replay. I am mostly interested if it will have rear view??
If Forza has it, you can be sure GT5 will have it.

Come on Stega you know you want to have triple monitors and also use your cool touch screens as left/right rear view mirrors and to top that off use your 60" Plasma for real time replays. Oh yes a six system/screen setup :)

Come E3 we could find out that the feature has been dropped or again maybe limited to TTs but its one reason Ive allowed my in the works cockpit use triple screens or a projector. Im just not over confident they will have it usable for everything in the game.

Still Id love to see Sony have a big triple screen demo unit at the E3 show floor like MS had last year with FM3.

Last edited:
i dont think that you need 3 ps3s for it
i saw much things about the ps3 power and i was just "shocked",its just awesome
but the problem is that the games have to use the ps3 power properly
its a long story i think ....and its not so important for me to have 3 monitors

ps:if you want to play gt5 with 60fps+Fhd+3d on 3 monitors than i think 1 ps3 isnt enough

i dont think that you need 3 ps3s for it
i saw much things about the ps3 power and i was just "shocked",its just awesome
but the problem is that the games have to use the ps3 power properly
its a long story i think ....and its not so important for me to have 3 monitors

ps:if you want to play gt5 with 60fps+Fhd+3d on 3 monitors than i think 1 ps3 isnt enough

Well, for starters the PS3 can only make use of a single video output at a time, so yes, you'll need one PS3 per additional screen.

I figured out a way to get GT5P to show in multiscreens...
Only 2 screens but gives an idea.

Out of self interest Im going to consider doing more and connect up a 3rd display just to see the tracks in all their glory. I think this would be the first ever video showing GT5P in a triple screen configuration.
Perhaps a "Mr Latte / GT Planet" World Exclusive?

These are not fake but from the game running taken from replay mode.

For now here are some screenshots of footage taken during a test at Suzuka.
What Ive learned from this is that if GT5 does not support a multiscreen mode directly wthin the game it may be possible to still get it to work in "Spectator Mode"

2z4gy9d.jpg

Last edited:
But that is just 2 PS3s playing the same replay separately, right? There's nothing special about that because the software doesn't natively support it.

If this isn't the case then how are you accomplishing this?

EDIT: Adding to what you're saying about the spectator mode it would depend on whether or not there's the abbility of getting a player's cockpit view and if you can change perspectives i.e. look right and left inside it, which quite honestly would be damn cool. The downside to this is that it would only work in online races.

Of course its not playable in this way with GT5P...

The point is being able to see the tracks and get an experience of how the game would look in triple screen mode.

As yet ive not seen anyone ever bother to try and set it up and video it before but Im still keen to see it.
Thats pretty special to me to finally get to see it in motion like this...

Spectator mode should support movable camera in cockpit view as replays do. Online races are not so much an issue as a lobby could be setup and allow all tracks to be driven with possible AI in with online racers in the private lobby.

To an extent FM3 needs works best in multimonitors by going into Multiplayer mode create a race, set all other cars to AI so they can pick a track and number of laps they want.
Arcade mode only gives usually a couple of laps and not with the hardest AI or the full physics.

Last edited:
Coxis
i know but i mean the power
the ps3s power can handle it but u are right the ps3s hasnt 3 out puts

You mean you think the PS3 can crank out 5760x1080 with the associated field of view graphics?

The fanboy misinformation must run deep...

Think it through... if it was THAT powerful would we still have trees thare a X's?

PD have claimed to have found the PS3's limit already with what the premium cars are pushing.

Back