GT5 multi screen support confirmed

• Thread starter SETWAVE
  • 298 comments
The cost of 2 more screens vs. a PSeye tips the scales in favor of head tracking for me.

I thought we were just talking functionality... in terms of bang for the buck, I would definitely say other options then... head tracking if you like or maybe look to apex option.

My cheaper answer to all of this: Head Tracking. :)
Fixed it for you!

Having experience with both, there is no substitute for a multi monitor setup. A cheaper compensation is; head tracking but it's far from the same.

When you're using a multi monitor setup, the environment is flashing by, of which you're aware due to the almost 180° peripheral view of the human eye, creating a truly amazing and realistic sense of speed. You can't have this with head tracking.
Another positive point about a multi monitor setup is that you can move your head and eyes like when you're driving with a real car and not having to keep your eyes on the center monitor (as there is only one monitor with head tracking).

Indeed headtracking can give an advantage to single screen users allowing you to look into an upcoming apex but some are going to find it hard to learn to use properly...

If you took a single screen and covered the first and last 3rd of the screen only leaving the centre third. Imagine playing the game like that, go ahead and try it. This will feel very cramped and restrictive wont it? Well thats what single screen is like compared to triple screens.

Alternatively watch the below video and then cover over the left/right screens. Their is no comparison as the multiscreens make you feel your more within the 3D world of the pretty much always onscreen. Having the full width of the track visible also helps increase the effect of draw dstance. Overtakes are much more exciting and the sense of speed is improved. When you go back to a single screen you feel you are looking out of a box or window.

Id say that applying triple screens is one of the biggest and best upgrades that could be done to enchance racing...

Last edited:
I forgot to mention another disadvantage when using head tracking.

IRL, when you move your head, it's your head that makes the movement and the environment is fixed. This is the same with a multi monitor setup.
When you move your head using a tracking device, it's the environment that is moving. Moved by the tracking software ofcourse. This is an unnatural feeling and difficlut to adjust to. In the beginning it's very difficult to hit the apex, using a head tracking device.

The only gripe I have with GT4's surround vision is that the side views are distorted. Which gives an unnatural feeling as wel but not as bad as the feeling you get when using a head tracking device.

I'm not sure but I think that some people, prone to motion sickness, can become dizzy or even worse when using a head tracking device.

Question: is head tracking one word or is it written seperately?

I figured out a way to get GT5P to show in multiscreens...
Only 2 screens but gives an idea.

Perhaps a "Mr Latte / GT Planet" World Exclusive?

That's a great discovery!

I would like to hear/see more about your findings.

As for motion sickness, I would always get sick on the way to grandma's house as a kid and I can still get sick if I'm not the person driving.
So even though I have to PS eye I may not benefit from it's headtracking.

I have 2 PS3's and would get another along with 2 TV/moniters if my wife would approve.
Unlikely but it is possible.

I would prefer spending money on a multimoniter setup rather than a 3D TV as the TV would be only used for gaming due to the fact we have only limited HD channels from the cable company, so I don't see 3D programming in the near (5 years or more) future.

Anywho..........great find.

Im going today to buy a cheap 2nd hand copy of GT5P to see about doing a 3way test.
Will take a few days and would loke to maybe capture this on a HD camera if I can borrow one.

Have you a particular car or track request?

I guess the best track to showcase this "feature" would be the Eiger Nordwand because of all the scenery. As for a car... I'd love to see the Ferrari 512bb's awesome cockpit view.

Well to cut a long story short spent several hours getting all the PS3 connected then updated the games and downloding the same replays on each console.

One issue is that I have 2x Disc copies and 1x Downloaded Japan version.
On each console they run a little bit faster/slower at loading up the replays.

Replays cant be paused so its a real pain in the butt trying and retrying over a dozen times to get a timed sequence that will make all the screens/consoles in sync.

Further to this interiors in GT5P even with the monitors lined up as best possible just do not align that well from the side views. Bit of a shame.....

However the good news is I am still able to get an impression from this as to how it may be in the full GT5 game. One thing that strikes as very nice is how the lighting and interior shadows move across the cockpit. This was always a nice effect even with a single screen but in multiscreens it really looks superb with shadows transitioning from one screen to the other.

Can look at doing some more and sorry for these pretty poor images.
Also footage from the car you wanted wasnt great and as Im tired now I will at least show you guys some F40 stuff from tonights testing.

2r7vp8y.jpg

Thanks for spending the time to experiment with the multiscreen setup.
Looking at the pictures it does look a bit weird, but sitting there must look better.
It looks as though the center screen has some overlay with the right screen when using the cockpit view.
The side views are relative to what we actually see but it does look weird to me.

Have you tried viewing from the bumper cam?
It would probably give each screen an unobstructed view.
I ask because that's the view I use.

Now it's time to get your friends over and do some online racing from your place.

Thanks again. :)

I will add more to this over the weekend. Try the other views although I think the screens will still have alignment isues...

Were you able to film any of it by any chance?

Those crappy pics are from video capture on my camera but is poor quality.
Will look at trying to give you guys a better idea and even take some pics from it running but although quality will be better we may get screen action blur etc.

Those crappy pics are from video capture on my camera but is poor quality.
Will look at trying to give you guys a better idea and even take some pics from it running but although quality will be better we may get screen action blur etc.
A great way to get non blurry pictures is to stop on the track.

I found this out when trying to capture invisible walls for the WRS series.

It is not easy, though it is easier than trying to catch a car while it's moving.

Have fun trying things out and do it to please yourself along the way, I'm surprised at what I've seen already.

I think I may have an experiment of my own over the coming holiday weekend. ;)

A great way to get non blurry pictures is to stop on the track.

I found this out when trying to capture invisible walls for the WRS series.

It is not easy, though it is easier than trying to catch a car while it's moving.

Have fun trying things out and do it to please yourself along the way, I'm surprised at what I've seen already.

I think I may have an experiment of my own over the coming holiday weekend. ;)

Your forgetting something...
This is only possible from replays all running independently on each console and me trying to sync them to run within a tenth or so. I have the controllers for the left/right displays locked in looking out the window mode and select cockpit view from the replay on each PS3. All the downloadable replays are top 10 times so their wont be any non motion. I tried copying my onw replay onto the othe consoles but got an incompatibillity/error message. If theirs a way round that then I could do better replays of my own and being stationary.
The game deoesnt support or detect multiscreens so this is manually creating what should be likely possible in the full game.

Thanks for the support your giving me though guys ....

My greatest concern at this moment goes to the fact that there was none multiscreen setups of Gran Turismo 5 at E3.

Although it doesn't mean anyting, I wonder why - because all previous games since 2001 GT3 onwards were always displayed in multiscreen.

My greatest concern at this moment goes to the fact that there was none multiscreen setups of Gran Turismo 5 at E3.

Although it doesn't mean anyting, I wonder why - because all previous games since 2001 GT3 onwards were always displayed in multiscreen.

Well, this time they had 3D. They probably didn't feel it was necessary to have 3D and multiscreen setups, especially when 3D is new and multiscreen isn't.

I thought it was usually Subaru that demonstrated the motion sim with triple screens at various motorshows right upto 2008 with GT4.
Are you certain PD demonstrated triple screens before the actual games were released and not after release?

Of course Prologue was demonstrated with the Audi car last year so if they could copy over the data for the motion from GT4 then it should not be hard to enable multiscreen support in GT5 from GT4. It would be nice though if it got proper support with various options available and with FM3 using it and more and more people catching onto it then surely they must feel its something they too should incorporate.

I agree even if it is supported Sony are likely to push 3DTV features to enable more sales of their Bravia Range 3DTVs

Would you prefer 3DTV or multiscreens Amar?

I tried for a while today and its almost impossible to get 3x PS3 to start the replay all within the same time. Each PS3 has slight different loading times by upto about half a second.
Positioned the outer monitors a bit higher which seemed to help but sorry the image still isnt great although it will let you get an idea of the cockpit of the F40 in triple screens.

125j4b8.jpg

vxdwyp.jpg

It was worth a try but going to leave it now

Last edited:
Even if your camera is low quality I really think you should've recorded your attempts. Would've given us a better idea of how it looks, even if a bit non-sinchronized. Still, those last pictures are miles better than the previous ones, I REALLY hope multi-screen is supported in GT5.

Well, this time they had 3D. They probably didn't feel it was necessary to have 3D and multiscreen setups, especially when 3D is new and multiscreen isn't.
Not 3D but head tracking. Maybe, just maybe multi screen has been cancelled because of the head tracking feature.

One positive note, if it is cancelled that is, is that I'll save a lot of money. No 2 extra PS3 and GT5 copies. Maybe I'll get a VR glasses again. This with head tracking is almost as realistic as real life. And maybe, 3D is too much for the PS3 on three monitors?

Time will tell.

125j4b8.jpg

vxdwyp.jpg

It was worth a try but going to leave it now

These shots are amazing, even if the right screen is ahead of the others in the replay, it gives a nice sample of what the final version will have, must find some decent used PS3s to try too, and small LCDs. Well done and thanks for the efforts.

By the way, what's the size of the screens you're showing in the pictures? 24''?

By the way, what's the size of the screens you're showing in the pictures? 24''?

No these are my old 22" monitors
Ive actually got a friend coming to buy them this week so this concludes my testing. I also have 24" iiyama 1080p models that are currently being built onto my cockpit.

F40 Suzuka
fktitf.jpg

2jdgt1v.jpg

F599 Suzuka
21meneq.jpg

24d1t81.jpg

F1 2007
2j4zl34.jpg

Video Of 599 Suzuka

Last edited:
Back