GT5 Review scores (Update :Average metacritic score)

• Thread starter DoctorFouad
  • 1,417 comments
Hi all GT fans !

The announcement of the final release date being 24th november was a great news ! Finally we will be playing the game after all those years of waiting (thanks Jordan for keeping us up to date on GT5 info all those years)

But now the game being gold and shipped all over the world, GT5 review copies are also sent to reviewers. It would b great to share review scores here and reading what gaming industry journalists have to say about GT5, it is also a great opportunity for polyphony digital to get feedback to make GT6 even a better game.

Until now no gaming journalist reviewed GT5 yet, I will update this thread whenever new reviews/scores get published.

My expectations for reviews main content/scores :

- some reviewers will surely give GT5 a 10/10 score, saying that the game sets a new standard in the industry and its greatness surpass by far any of its drawbacks.

- but I expect the majority will just give the game 9/10 and even some will give it 8/10,
mentioning the following critics :

- Not all cars are premium (inconsistency critique, only 220 premium cars out of 1030)

- Not all tracks have Time/weather (inconsistency critique)

- Only 27 tracks (with variations), the number of tracks could have been bigger and some important real tracks arent included in the game (lack of content for the tracks critique)

- some reviewers could also criticize the online experience and mention some online problems (I am sure polyphony will release patches for that), some will even compare the online GT5 experience with that of Forza3.

But overall I am pretty sure the game will get in metacritic an average of 93-94% score which is great.

those are the metacritic scores for previous GTs :

Gran Turismo 1 (96/100)
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation/gran-turismo/trailers?video=1101377

Gran Turismo 2 (93/100)
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation/gran-turismo-2/trailers?video=1101377

Gran Turismo 3 (95/100)
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-2/gran-turismo-3-a-spec

Gran Turismo 4 (89/100)
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-2/gran-turismo-4

Update : 23 novembre 2010 : First review is up with résumé !

The first review of GT5 is finally up !
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/articles/0001/00013884-gran-turismo-5-test.htm
The French gamers were the first to receive the games (french retailers didn’t respect the release date of the game) so it comes as no surprise that the first review is a French review too ! from a very famous (IMO the most famous) popular and old gaming website in france : www.jeuxvideos.com (generally I like the reviews of this website, they are generally fair and rarely extremist, I like especially the very useful users review scores and comments)

But unfortunately their review of GT5 is unprofessional to say the least (I suppose the reviewer Ravaol is not into simulation racing games, but that’s just a hypothesis with no proof lol), I wrote this résumé of his review so you could judge by yourself :

Graphics : 15/20
The game is fluid and overall good looking, but a lot of glitches, aliasing (on shapes, on shadows…) and graphical problems (pop ups, pixelisation of some texture…), the outside of tracks aren’t detailed, and weather is not as impressive as in trailers, visual damage is limited and disappointing…

Gameplay : 14/20
The most disappointing aspect of the game, outdated gameplay designed to gtfans only with no innovation and similar to other gt games. Can we still take turns backing on other cars or track fences ? yes we can. Can we still cheat and cut turns and drive out of asphalt without any punishment ? yes we can (except in online races). The AI is still following the exact same line no matter what you do bumping on you or ou bump on it ? yes its still like the old days…damage is very limited and only on premium cars… the outside camera view has very limited sense of speed (unlike the good sense of speed of cockpit), you cant see too much when racing at night which makes the night races frustrating and unplayable…and cars feel rigid like old gt days, and applying gt gameplay to karts is a bad idea…and rally as always not very good… the good thing with gameplay is that each car feels distinguishable...

Durée de vie (Lasting Appeal or content or durability of the game) : 17/20
A lot of content but little substance (why 1000 cars when we will only drive a hundred of them and a lot are variables of the same car with inconsistent quality premium 200 with very limited disappointing damage that needsto play suicide mission to get some effects and the other 800 are standard with no damage and no cockpit view), also not a lot of tracks, and weather/day night not on all tracks…the online is disappointing, very simplistic, not well designed (when you finish a race you return to the main menu…) and with a lot of connexion problems…

Edit : concerning the content of the game, I forget to mention what the reviewer said about the B-spec mode and photomode and leveling system and track editor :

B-Spec mode is very limited (very few options : accelerate, overtake, decelerate), it is more a way to earn easy money than anything else...for the photomode its reserved for premium cars on specific locations and you cant pause the game to take photos...concerning the leveling system its a good thing but the problem is with the credit system, you need too much money to buy new cars eventhough you are on a high level, which is really unbalanced...concerning the track editor its very limited and more a gadget than anything else...

Sound : 15/20
Variable quality like the whole game, disappointing sound effects, inconsistent engine sounds (some are great and some horrible).

Overall score : 14/20
After 5 years of development time and waiting, GT is no more the real driving simulator, it is outdated compared to other racing games especially its gameplay, it is designed to gtfans only with very little innovation, but that’s not to say it’s a bad game, it’s still a simulation game that conserves a personality and captures the essence and variety of cars.

Now to my humble personal comment about this first review of GT5 :

I think the review is unprofessional, the reviewer has no idea of what he is talking about whe he insists that gameplay in GT5 is outdated...he clearly has a restricted vision of what is gameplay in a racing simulation, he underestimates the importance of gameplay physics in a simulation racing game, he says the gameplay is outdated because you can cheat without consequences, thats only a small part of the gameplay experience, the most important part is the driving expericene (he has also repeated the now cliché and not so accurate description about GT games being driving games and not racing games), the gameplay physics of GT5 are among the best in the world and he is wrong when he says gameplay is outdated and cars feel rigid... contradicting himself when he says that each car feels distinguishable..how the driving of cars is satisfying, cars feel distinguishable (thats the gameplay physics) but the cars feel rigid and gamplay is outdated ?! thats a huge contradiction that suffice to make this review unprofessional and biased...

Update : 24 november 2010

IGN review is up, 8.5/10

enjoy :
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/113/1136103p1.html

CLOSING COMMENTS of the IGN review
Gran Turismo 5 is a 10/10 simulator wrapped up in a 5/10 game – it’s driving is as exhilarating as anything that’s gone before, and its slavish obsession with the minutiae of many of its cars ensure it's an encyclopaedia of automotive delights. Its brilliance on the track, however is matched by its sloppiness off of it, and there’s a lack of polish that would at one time have seemed sacrilegious to the series. Ultimately its driving wins out to ensure that it’s still a great game, but it leaves that nagging doubt; this could have been a masterpiece were it not for the fact that Polyphony was so absorbed with the detail that it took its eye off the ball.

Eurogamer review is up, 9/10

enjoy
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-24-gran-turismo-5-review?page=1

Edit :
a lot more reviews are up !

destructoid : 10/10
http://www.destructoid.com/review-gran-turismo-5-188383.phtm

Even beyond the 1,000 cars, dozens of track variations, countless modes, gorgeous visuals and mountains of options, Gran Turismo 5 has something more that speaks to the world's car lovers and racing fans. The level of care taken by the people at Polyphony Digital shines in every aspect of this title, and this makes for a racing game that truly has no parallel. Gran Turismo 5 is a massive love letter to those that love cars. This is their dream videogame.

joystiq : 4/5
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/24/gran-turismo-5-review

CVG : 8/10
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=277364

Gamepro : 4.5/5
http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/217386/gran-turismo-5/

Playstation Lifestyle : 10/10
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010/11/24/ps3-review-gran-turismo-5/

Gran Turismo 5 is the pinnacle of the racing simulation genre. After years of technological progression, hardware is finally powerful enough to provide Polyphony Digital the platform needed to deliver such an unbelievably lifelike experience. Kaz Yamauchi’s passion for the racing sphere shines through every aspect of the game. The incredibly-detailed cars, the slick presentation, the spot-on physics. Polyphony Digital brought its A-game. Nothing else on the market can come close to the realism and immersion you feel throughout. Gran Turismo 5 is virtual racing at its very best.

PlayStation LifeStyle’s Final Score 10/10

+Gameplay is the best in the genre

+Cars, tracks, even menus – everything is presented gorgeously

+Tons of modes and new features really help to expand on the driving sim experience

Update :
the average metacritic score is now : 86/100 based on 10 reviews

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/gran-turismo-5

I think the average score will improve over time, reviewers need more time to review the game, especially the online content...

Last edited:
It's not looking good for GT5, the leaked car and track list makes me want to vomit. I don't know what to think anymore. My hype-ometer is lack luster at best. Doesn't even sound as good as Forza 3 on paper anymore. 200 premium cars, Forza 3 did 400... They also released two games in the same time span. For the games review sake, I hope hardcore GT fans don't review it like myself, or its META score will be in the realm of GT4.

I'd say GT5 will score a low 80 or high 70 on Metacritic. I'm asbolutely sure it will be rated worse than GT4.

78-83, that's my guess.

I'd personally ignore any review which doesn't remove scores for it being a compromised product, because many publications use this to put down other games and GT5's a pretty special case where it has carry-over content from the last gen.

I think reviews will be high across the board...

1 it's GT - this is a known name that carries a lot of hype and belief behind it

2 There are some super sexy cars and tracks - unless the reviewer is a die hard nut like GTP fans they will probably spend most of their time playing premiums and not experience much standard issues so the downsides from standards will probably be under played.

3 Weather and night on a few tracks only might be missed as simply being "that track" rather than a feature that was expected to be used across the board and turned out to only be on a handful of tracks.

4 Bullet points - GT has big numbers, high polys and a lot of things that sound good... sounds good sells.

Unless the reviewer they choose is actually a long time GT fan who has focused a lot on GT over the years (and with the life of a game reviewer where tehy have to play a lot of games pretty much constantly who would fit that bill?) I think the review will cover a lot of the gloss and ignore a lot of the underlying dissapointment netting high scores.

After seeing car/track lists as well as other videos revealing game modes it won't score much higher than 80~ on metacritic imo.

Keep in mind that this game has been in development for 5+ years, reviewers will definitely have this in mind when they reach their conclusion. With this much time to develop there isn't going to be much of an excuse for the games larger shortcomings.

Regardless of reviewer's scores, I will still purchase the game and I will still be the ultimate reviewer.

It's not looking good for GT5, the leaked car and track list makes me want to vomit. I don't know what to think anymore. My hype-ometer is lack luster at best. Doesn't even sound as good as Forza 3 on paper anymore. 200 premium cars, Forza 3 did 400... They also released two games in the same time span. For the games review sake, I hope hardcore GT fans don't review it like myself, or its META score will be in the realm of GT4.

agreed. not to mention their choices of what's premium and what's standard make George W Bush look like Steven Hawking. I'm already looking forward to forza 4 more than GT6. This could've easily been the greatest game of all time, and they screwed that up badly by continuing to neglect cars that current and outside of Japan. It's the most unbalanced car list ever seen & lets face it, we got into these games for a love of cars and driving. 1000 cars yes, put it's like piling poop on top of poop to say I have 1000 lbs when it's really the substance that should matter.

I'd personally ignore any review which doesn't remove scores for it being a compromised product, because many publications use this to put down other games and GT5's a pretty special case where it has carry-over content from the last gen.

How is it compromised? They simply don't have the time to model 1000 plus cars from the scratch. They could have went with the 200 premium cars only and it would still be an impressive amount of cars. As I see it, the standard cars are only plus.

Compromised because they decided to include work they had already done years ago and then removed some functionality. They added this because they couldn't reach a higher number of cars than their main rival, so marketing have forced the old cars on the game to boost the box numbers. Numbers sell.

Kaz, widely regarded as a perfectionist, is almost certainly not going to have gone to work the day after GT4 launched and said "GT5 will only be 20% next-gen".

I have always said that it should have been premium cars only, as then the whole game is next-gen and you'd know no different. If I or anyone else desperately needed to play GT4's line-up, we already could.

I'd say it's gone from a potential 10/10 game to an 8/10 game. They've missed out too many key items for the sake of novelty items such as obscure premium vehicles, city based tracks designed around landmarks for visual reasons, head tracking, subjective cosmetic damage (thanks to the car wreckers who begged for cosmetic damage) and 3D.

Both Forza 3 and GT5 are let downs in the track department. Both also have major flaws in their car selections (although Forza 3 is certainly superior here).

It's also very important to mention that we have yet to see the most important part of GT5 yet, the online experience. If their online stuff turns out as badly as Forza 3's has, then GT5 is going to be a big disappointment. Turn 10 screwed up F3 online despite having previous successful experience with Forza 2, Polyphony don't really have any experience on that level.

If they manage to get online right, the standards handle like premiums with the GT4 customisation options intact (plus paint jobs) and the overall physics model is as good as it appears to be, then the game will be very good, but it's not a great.

Regarding Premium models, I'd be happy enough with F3 quality and 600 of them than GT5 quality and only 200 of them.

My mind has already turned towards GT6, I hope they can improve on GT5 within two years. They have the physics, they just need to churn out more premium cars and update their library of previous GT tracks. If they can do that then we'll have the 10/10 game we longed for all this time.

Compromised because they decided to include work they had already done years ago and then removed some functionality. They added this because they couldn't reach a higher number of cars than their main rival, so marketing have forced the old cars on the game to boost the box numbers. Numbers sell.

Kaz, widely regarded as a perfectionist, is almost certainly not going to have gone to work the day after Gt4 launched and said "GT5 will only be 20% next-gen".

Would you think it would have been better if they removed the standard cars completely? Then it'd be 100% next-gen.

How is it compromised? They simply don't have the time to model 1000 plus cars from the scratch. They could have went with the 200 premium cars only and it would still be an impressive amount of cars. As I see it, the standard cars are only plus.

Honestly I look at that list of 200 premium cars and it seems that it would be hard (especially with the surprisingly small track list) to get a full career experience out of that... I mean 200 cherry picked premium cars designed to all be part of a good racing roster maybe... but too many of the premiums are kind of novelty or grinder cars to fill out an entire game with if you ask me...

Would you think it would have been better if they removed the standard cars completely? Then it'd be 100% next-gen.

I like how the choice is always "this or only 200 premiums which would you want?".

Falso dichotomies are fun.

Some reviewers will try to make a name for themselves by marking GT5 down but why take any notice.

I follow Eurogamer, they gave the awful WRC 2010 7/10, F1 2010 8/10 and Forza 3 9/10.

Going by that if Eurogamer are consistent GT5 will be 10/10 but it doesn't always pan out like that.

You have to laugh and shake your head at those who have widely over the top expectations and don't appear to comprehend just how large and comprehensive GT5 is.

probably going to be mostly positive with a few critics trying to grab website hits by throwing up a crazy low score.

Most critics will appreciate the high quality of the content that is there, but some will think anything short of "the last racing game you will ever need" requires a total panning of the game, the cars, the tracks, the features, the creators, blah blah blah

with that cars and that tracks can't be more than 7,5 out of ten. If it was named forza is was a 4 on this forum. Shame after 6 years, huge letdown.

Well, I for one would've preffered GT5 that way. The way they are now, the standards seem rather pointless to me.

And, well, they did spend some time on them. Even if it was just to get the (texture) scratches and dents done. That time should've gone to something else, really.

Some reviewers will try to make a name for themselves by marking GT5 down but why take any notice.

I follow Eurogamer, they gave the awful WRC 2010 7/10, F1 2010 8/10 and Forza 3 9/10.

Going by that if Eurogamer are consistent GT5 will be 10/10 but it doesn't always pan out like that.

I don't see how GT5 deserves a 10/10 going by those scores.

At best it deserves a 9/10 and parity with Forza 3. Since it has superior physics and visuals (tracks/premiums), both have inadequate track selections and Forza 3 has incredibly good customisation options. Add in the fact that Forza 3 has a much more balanced car selection featuring far more 'important' cars than GT5 and I'd say you have a tie.

If the reviewer wants to be picky, they could probably bash GT5 down to an 8/10 no problem.

Well, I for one would've preffered GT5 that way. The way they are now, the standards seem rather pointless to me.

And, well, they did spend some time on them. Even if it was just to get the (texture) scratches and dents done. That time should've gone to something else, really.

I don't know, they could have removed standard cars, but then?
A dozen of new tracks? 100 or more premium cars? I prefer 1000 cars of mixed quality than 200 cars.
GT3 is my least favourite GT game, because it has only 200 cars. I don't want GT5 to be the same.

7.5 is above average, bordering on the great. A good reviewer would sum the game up as we know it so far, as a great core, let down by poor time-management and half-implemented features, including a car list with a majority of PS2-era car models.

It doesn't matter how good a core game is these days, it's all about the content.

I'd say 75-85 average.....the car list is a joke, sorry....Its time to move on. Yes JDM used to be great, and yes its always been fun to modify JDM cars...in the early 2000's. This is 2010!! TWO THOUSAND AND TEN! JDM cars are....well, lame to say the least. We've spent the last decade modifying cars from the golden age of JDM, why the **** would you spend six years developing a game around that SAME concept. Been there, done that.

-No E30 M3 (FAIL)
-No premium Aston Martin's, or even the DBS (FAIL)
-No Porsche, No Premium RUF! (SUPER FAIL)
-No Koenigsegg (UBER FAIL)
-No premium road-going Pagani (EXTREME FAIL)
-No road going Diablo, Countach isn't premium?! (SMH)
-No F430 Scudera (WTF)
-The Veyron is standard, and the SS isn't even in the game!

On a more affordable note...

-No RS5, CTS-V, GT500, Bentley CGT....I can go on for a while...

Not only that, but 90% of the JDM cars are standard!! Seriously?!

And the cars that are Premium are a joke except for a handful...Its a shame really, all the hype I had for this game is pretty much gone. The new NFS will give me my racing fix, even if it is an absurd arcade game...

7.5 is above average, bordering on the great. A good reviewer would sum the game up as we know it so far, as a great core, let down by poor time-management and half-implemented features, including a car list with a majority of PS2-era car models.

It doesn't matter how good a core game is these days, it's all about the content.

7,5 is above average bordering on the great for a low budget title developed in 2 years.. not a 60 million dollars game that took 6 years.

Honestly I look at that list of 200 premium cars and it seems that it would be hard (especially with the surprisingly small track list) to get a full career experience out of that... I mean 200 cherry picked premium cars designed to all be part of a good racing roster maybe... but too many of the premiums are kind of novelty or grinder cars to fill out an entire game with if you ask me...

I like how the choice is always "this or only 200 premiums which would you want?".

Falso dichotomies are fun.

The developers have said that it takes months to model a car and years to model a track down to the detail.

What do you think they could have done had they not included the standard cars? Get 50 more premium cars in maybe? 2 more tracks?

Yes, I also think that this game don't deserve more than 7, because there are soooo many games better than GT5 LOL :) It's ridiculous what kind of statements are made on this forums :)

Back