GT5 Track Editor Thread

• Thread starter Tapey
  • 1,324 comments
Someone said no. Once you save it and exit the screen, the tracks can't be edited. I guess they truly are random in their nature.
Well that throws out being able to make some favorite tracks if the land scape is random.

I think you can save a total of 5 tracks

The tracks must take up a lot of space if it only gives us 5. What about saving track to a thumb drive?

I agree. I suppose we will have to wait though :boggled:

Technically its a Course Maker. :lol:

Nice work with the closed circuit analysis, i wonder if this issue is present when generating POint to POint, as for the most part each sector doesnt rely on the previous one or next one as much as closed circuits, simply havent seen enough of it to know.,..

@Zuel, i dont know it seems so strange that you can only save 5 at a time...:S in theory the data should be very small, even the size of the Photos maybe smaller cuz its just a bunch of numbers...We'll see.

Excellent post Jujubean.

I like Devedander wonder about the ability to recreate what you have documented. (I personally thought this track was worth a test, maybe save). That is two people in different locations try to 'design' the same track with identical parameters in a specific order. Do we then have two different tracks or "identical twins"?

I like yourself are curious to whether the topography for the theme is generated randomly or is a 'set file' so to speak...

5 tracks? I hope not!!! Maybe 5 tracks/versions of what you are working on generating??? Wouldn't space be determined by HDD capacity/availability?

Last edited:
Sigh... You can have 50 (FIFTY) favorite custom tracks. And make pretty much as many as you want.

Favorite tracks will be the ones showing in the custom tracks sections of the game.

I would have liked a system close to Bobs Track Builder for rFactor and Simbin games. Great little tool to create realistic tracks.

Except this takes alot of time to do event he most basic task.

In Course Maker if you are not picky it can be as little as 37 seconds until your up and running on a totally random circuit\stage\road.

BTW They should change the name of the thread to GT5 Course Maker Thread...just to put the "track editor" thing to rest.

@blaktek Where did you get this info? You have the game?

Sigh... You can have 50 (FIFTY) favorite custom tracks. And make pretty much as many as you want.

Favorite tracks will be the ones showing in the custom tracks sections of the game.

I was close in text :indiff:

WARNING: LONG POST AHEAD
For some this may all be a bit over the top and uninteresting, but I spent a lot of time on it, and it helped me to understand how the course editor works (if only a little).

Excellent, excellent post; it clears up a lot of questions some members are bound to have about the Generator 👍 👍

Thanks a lot Jujubean! This clarifies a little bit how the Course Maker works, I am really intrigued about the behaviour of the CM with point to point courses.

Except this takes alot of time to do event he most basic task.

In Course Maker if you are not picky it can be as little as 37 seconds until your up and running on a totally random circuit\stage\road.

It doesn't take that long to create a track. If it was adapted for use with a controller it could be great. Terrain is determined by polygon movement along with track height, so custom topography is easy. Start finish line placement is as simple as placing a trigger point. Adding curbs is also easily added.
If it was Simplified it would be capable of easy to create custom tracks. I own BTB and it's great and easy to learn, especially in recent versions.

This is the Mount Aso theme running in the demo mode.

And you can see the road winding up the mountain in the distance. Didn't think the roads would reach that far, but there you go
It's not just a backdrop but actual geometry 👍

meR51.jpg

This is the Mount Aso theme running in the demo mode.

And you can see the road winding up the mountain in the distance. Didn't think the roads would reach that far, but there you go
It's not just a backdrop but actual geometry 👍

meR51.jpg

I'm pretty sure the road in the background is part of the scenery, not the track.

EDIT: I think anyway...

Darn, Its starting to seem like Mt.Aso is a plain and not actually a mountain. Cause if it were a mountain I would have thought there would be some trees every now and then.

Darn, Its starting to seem like Mt.Aso is a plain and not actually a mountain. Cause if it were a mountain I would have thought there would be some trees every now and then.

There's trees, and clumps of trees, not as much as in real life, but they're there. Plus Mount Aso is a volcano, so it's a bit different :)

Not too many trees, just a lot of green

d8jk7l000002dcsa.jpg

mod_p20100826_145753.jpg

There's trees, and clumps of trees, not as much as in real life, but they're there. Plus Mount Aso is a volcano, so it's a bit different :)

Not too many trees, just a lot of green
mod_p20100826_145753.jpg

Oh, I see. Alright thanks for the picture mate. I can kinda picture what Mt.Aso looks like now. Hope it turns out to be a really good theme! :dopey:

Course Maker page no longer indicates or even mentions the ability to GENERATE point to point stages!!! WTF is going on PD??? This was a PROMISED feature....So far we've only seen it in GT Rally events, not user generated courses....This would be VERY disappointing...

We know of the potential of course maker, but not allowing us to make our own PTP stages, as narrow and complex as they SHOULD be is just ridiculous...
http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gt5/coursemaker/

It is, especially considering the pacenotes are so simplified that they could be tied to any generated stage...but ive seen "pit areas" around Liege and Toscana tarmac to indicate a circuit style layout :S

This was my most anticipated feature, the stages in the GT Rally events are nowhere near as complex as they should be, hell you can hear the co-driver snooozing between corners! :lol:

I'm expecting the worst but hoping for the best.

Its also possible to edit tracks that you have saved at a later date. If you come up with a track that you like, you can make it public and share it online with your friends. This way you can enjoy the track together with your friends.
From: http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gt5/coursemaker/

I thought it had been confirmed that this was not possible...

Also, I bet the thing about unlocking P2P after you complete Rally is the case. There have been similar unlock type things in past GT games, like unlocking Endurance races at 25%, etc.

sorry if its been answered in this thread already but is the terrain (topography?) randomly generated each time or is it always the same?

I suspect that it will be the same topography each time you make a course on the same map, but there has been no confirmation either way. I know however, that the 'map' for each theme is pretty big, bigger than what you see on the screen displaying your track's layout. Also, I know that the terrain stays the same each time you make a change to your track and the generator changes it around. That is what makes me think they all use the same topo.

Course Maker page no longer indicates or even mentions the ability to GENERATE point to point stages!!! WTF is going on PD??? This was a PROMISED feature....So far we've only seen it in GT Rally events, not user generated courses....This would be VERY disappointing...
Did it ever occur to you that maybe Polyphony found that it was not feasible and were forced to cut it out? After all, Kaz wanted every car in the game to be to the same standard as what are now the Premium cars, but Polyphony found that they had neither the time nor the space to make all 1000 cars to that level of detail. After toying with cutting it altogether, they settled on having a select number of cars as Premium models and making the rest Standard. If Polyphony cut the point-to-point circuit designer, they obviously had good reason to.

Ok, I have unfortunately not been following this thread closely.

Can anyone confirm what limitations exist with track editor? I want to know if its possible to effectively create an exact 1:1 replica of tracks such as Spa and other great racing circuits

EDIT: Ok, reading thsi description , it sounds like the track editor is not detailed enough to create a replica track (i.e. you cannot design a track by refining corner after corner and its angle/elevation etc etc).

Last edited:
If Polyphony cut the point-to-point circuit designer, they obviously had good reason to.

Ridiculous, Point to Point stages are featured in the game...and since they only allow staggered starts dont even talk about processor intensive...

And to add to that the only difference between Point to POint and Looped courses is they dont loop, thats it, nothing else, how hard would it be to have the course maker generate something with A-B start end or just one like a circuit?

Alot of things occured to me and somethings make sense, jaggy car edges caused by CPU intensive GFX, ok whatever sacrifice, but this? No.

Back