GT5 Track Editor Thread

• Thread starter Tapey
  • 1,324 comments
TO do this you must save your course and then got o My Lounge or something and invite people.

Or so it says in the manual i have the game but no PS3(ARGHH).

Why would you post how to do it if you have no CLUE? and havent even tried it yourself?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Easy, kanesis - XEPEGTP is just trying to help out. He does, after all, have the manual, and I'm willing to bet more than a few people ignored it in their excitement for playing GT5 after a six-year wait.

Quick question here:

Can user-created tracks be raced with online??

yes, but only in private lobbies, for now. I think

Im happy with what it is all i wanna know is can we make some freakin point to point courses!!???

maybe I'm getting the wrong end of the stick but coulden't you just create a track, set it to 1 lap and hay presto you have a point to point track?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Kanesis, because that's what the manual indicates...have a look for yourself, and I think reading the instructions gives me plenty clues.

Besides I want to see this feature as much as the next guy.

@jimmywiz Sure you can, if you want to be simplistic about it however jimmy, theres a big big difference namely, the start and end are in the same spot and you dont get Pacenotes from the co-driver.

Point to point tracks start in one region and end in another, you start in one elevation\topography and end in a totally different one. eg: greater variety within one run. And maximum complexity because you dont need sections with sweeping turns to connect to other sections.

@interludes Here's hoping some of those December patches will enable these features(that is if they are truly absent with exception of GT Rally challenge). Maybe a poll would be in order ina few weeks if we come to the conclusion that they didnt include this long-touted feature of the course maker.

What do you guys think? Can be done?

captureba.jpg

RBC Racing??

Question: Can you name your courses? Do they have functionality for Arcade and Time Trial?

Also, Whilst no point-to-point is a shame, I suppose you can get some good Rallycross tracks...

Yes, you can name your courses. And yes, you can export them to arcade and time trial; they appear under the 'My Courses' tab on the circuit selection screen.

However, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by rallycross circuits. Multiple surfaces are not possible. But if you mean all-gravel (or all-snow) circuits, then yes - that's possible too.

Yes, you can name your courses. And yes, you can export them to arcade and time trial; they appear under the 'My Courses' tab on the circuit selection screen.

However, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by rallycross circuits. Multiple surfaces are not possible. But if you mean all-gravel (or all-snow) circuits, then yes - that's possible too.

I mean't rally style circuits instead of point-to-point, similar to tracks such as Ice Arena from GT4.

I'm sort of love / hate with the Track Editor at the moment.

I set up the section parameters and then click the new track button a bunch of times and watch till an interesting looking track pops up. I then do some test laps. Thats pretty good fun. I figure this is the intended role it has in GT5 so it works well as such.

But then I get annoyed with trying to fine tune a track. It can be going okay. But if I'm trying to eliminate a real awkward corner. I adjust the difficultly setting for that section, it works to a point, then one setting to far and BANG the whole track becomes a totally different shape. All sections are affected, totally different. Yeah you can get it back to how it was, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

BTW: In any racing sim/game one of my least favorite things is un-seeable corners. The sort of thing where road goes over a crest and its turned out from under you with little warning.

That's what I have been trying to 'edit' out of my tracks, I've had some luck, but more disappointment.

I am hoping they add more features to the Track editor.

Try adjusting the severity of the corners in that section. It won't fully eliminate awkward corners, but it will smooth them out. Alternatively, you can re-draw the circuit; it will use the same settings as you currently have, but will come up with a new configuration. If you don't like it, you can return to any previous circuit you have drawn.

A custom 7+km course generator track I made using the Toscana Tarmac theme. Full course run starts at 2:25.

Stock Shelby Cobra, hard Sports tyres all round, no aids and ABS brakes. Brake bias adjusted to 5:3. Using a DFGT wheel.

Tricky car to drive on the limits!

I only used 4-5 sections here from memory. Narrowest road width, corner sharpness at 0, course complexity varies between 8-10. I basicly started this at 0 and bump it up by 1 each time and observe the changes. If it looked complicated then I kept it :)

Could work well as a Targa tarmac rally stage, I haven't tried it like that yet

Weird flickering stuff looks buggy....
Anyway you can grab it from my profile ingame, currently sharing it 👍
Annoying that we can only share 1 track at a time :ouch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFubfKkrIrU

Last edited:
A custom 7+km course generator track I made using the Toscana Tarmac theme. Full course run starts at 2:25.

Stock Shelby Cobra, hard Sports tyres all round, no aids and ABS brakes. Brake bias adjusted to 5:3. Using a DFGT wheel.

Tricky car to drive on the limits!

I only used 4-5 sections here from memory. Narrowest road width, corner sharpness at 0, course complexity varies between 8-10. I basicly started this at 0 and bump it up by 1 each time and observe the changes. If it looked complicated then I kept it :)

Could work well as a Targa tarmac rally stage, I haven't tried it like that yet

Weird flickering stuff looks buggy....
Anyway you can grab it from my profile ingame, currently sharing it 👍
Annoying that we can only share 1 track at a time :ouch:

Hey can you upload at night racing stage on mount aso,I was short on time and I didn't check if it is possible to set it into the night,I asking you because you have the right tools and that track look awesome.

Please 👍

Do you mind me asking how?
By changing the number of sectors. Playing with the complexity of a sector may also have an effect on the length; playing with the severity of corners and the width of the circuit in a sector may also influence length, but less so. You cannot, however, specify the exact length of the circuit.

By changing the number of sectors. Playing with the complexity of a sector may also have an effect on the length; playing with the severity of corners and the width of the circuit in a sector may also influence length, but less so. You cannot, however, specify the exact length of the circuit.

Aah, ok:) Want a straight where I can go faster than the mulsanne straight and ssr7. Not happening though lol. Thanks.

It might be possible if you set complexity and severity to the minimum and width to maximum - but you're not going to be able to make a straight longer than the Mulsanne. The video CoolColJ posted shows a very long straight.

The more sections you use the longer it gets, but it's not a linear relationship.
The straight is usually there due to the pits and grid start area, but you can do some long straights

Hey can you upload at night racing stage on mount aso,I was short on time and I didn't check if it is possible to set it into the night,I asking you because you have the right tools and that track look awesome.

Please 👍

I don't think there is night on Mount Aso, I'll check
But I'm finding new conditions "unlocking"
Before I only ever saw foggy/overcast conditions on the Effiel circuit theme on demo drives, recently I saw sunny ones...

Here is a track I made today using the Effiel circuit theme.

Someone wanted to know if you can do long straights? Well you sure can, but hilly straights :)

I used 5 sections, all with complexity of 0, and corner sharpness of 5.
Very angular high speed track, parts of it remind of Bathurst :)
Time of day was set at 2pm. I find it looks the best at this time of the day. GT5's lighting engine makes everything look too dark at other times or just weird.... Noon just looks really flat.

This theme doesn't look as good as the others. The grass is a bit pukey.
The pop up is annoying, and the track is too smooth, and lacking in cambers.

Demo'ed it with a race with Super GT cars in arcade mode. Will have to try it with LMPs
I called it Straight Ring :sly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le_rfvkopYE
[YOUTUBEHD]le_rfvkopYE[/YOUTUBEHD]

I wish the run off areas were larger, and more space between the fences and track

Last edited:
I'm getting to like the Course editor more.

Instead of getting hung up over the little details, which I was doing before. I've found a better way to use the editor/creator.

I've found the best way is to set up the track parameters first. Several sectors, some difficult and then some other sections with very low difficulty to give a mix of a few challenging sections but then others where you can open up the car.

Anyway so the idea is you set HOW you want the track first. Then use the track generator screen and just cycle through the tracks it produces Click next, next, until you see a good track with the elements you want. ( Even with the settings specifying what you want, the program is way off most of the time )

Like the look of a track, test drive it. Some look good but aren't good to drive, others look a bit plain but drive great.

If you don't like it, pass. Go back to the track generator menu and keep browsing.

If you like it great, make a few fine tunes to the track. But basically let the generator do most of the work.

I've got a couple of good tracks saved now.

Back