GT5 vs. IRacing

• Thread starter Blaze_409
  • 76 comments
Unfortunately, your question is too bland and generic to have an accurate answer. Exactly, what are you asking? "Would it" what? I see that the title is GT5 vs iRacing, but that does not help at all either.

I saw this thread yesterday & thought "would it what" I thought by now you would've actually expanded on your question & made it answerable by now.. I was wrong.
If you meand would GT5 beat iRacing? in graphics yes, is physics no, in competition online no, in value maybe.
Does that answer your question as we don't know what it is.
Next time you open a thread make it clear as to the intent will you?
Would it just doesn't suffice as a decent or answerable question in this case.

As far as I've seen so far, I think GT5 beats iRacing in graphics, "fun factor" and car variety. Physics, car settings, online, competition, accuracy of the models represented (not only graphical, but also on the technical aspect, i.e suspension model) are miles ahead in iRacing.

If we're speaking only of realism, GT5 would have first to get rid of some blatant issues in the physics used before being compared to iRacing.

How can you even compare this to iracing?

GT5 is not a simulator for a start, and I don't think you would see real life racers using it like you do with iracing

How can you even compare this to iracing?

GT5 is not a simulator for a start, and I don't think you would see real life racers using it like you do with iracing

Am I the only one that thinks the claim that real life racers play games like Iracing and GT5, is completely false? They have better things to do, like race real cars on real tracks, I personally think they get a nice pay check just to say they play "simulators"

I'd love to try iracing but no trial/demo that I know of. I don't have a wheel either. Plus I find it a rip to have to pay a monthly fee for any game. Plus I think rip to charge $ for one car or one track.

Id play for fun. Not $. So its a rip to me.

I'd love to try iracing but no trial/demo that I know of. I don't have a wheel either. Plus I find it a rip to have to pay a monthly fee for any game. Plus I think rip to charge $ for one car or one track.

Id play for fun. Not $. So its a rip to me.

Yea god forbid you'd have to pay to use something that costs money to make and run. Everything should be free after all!

Naaa. You know what I mean.
Anyway, I don't like the idea of paying a monthly fee. Without iracing $ they give to race winners I see no way for monthly. But with being able to win $ they have to do monthly imo.

I sure would love to try that or another that's for sure.

So if they didn't have a monthly fee, who would pay for the game R & D? Who would pay for the staff? Who would pay for all of the Web Servers to host the racing?

For Sony it's much easier to charge a flat rate at the beginning, and use their massive size to support the product moving forward. A smaller company like Iracing, needs to charge that monthly fee in order to keep their business running and profitable.

I've spent sometime playing iRacing a bit lately. I find it really stressful actually because a mistake can cost you SR. However I should add I'm a pretty bad driver. If you're a good clean driver you would really enjoy this game. It gets a little dull if you're a poor rookie tho because you are stuck in average cars like the MX-5. The graphics could be a notch better too.

The two games are really, really different though. I do like how in iRacing you can just sign up for a race and pretty much anytime of the day (at least in US time) and get tossed into a race full of opponents that at least seem to make a lot of attempts to race clean

Am I the only one that thinks the claim that real life racers play games like Iracing and GT5, is completely false? They have better things to do, like race real cars on real tracks, I personally think they get a nice pay check just to say they play "simulators"

Incorrect. Real-world race drivers, including professionals at the higher tiers of motorsports, do spend time in simulators. In fact, they spend a lot of time in simulators. This is probably due in part to the fact that doing it for real costs money, while a simulator costs virtually nothing to run once you got past the up-front cost of acquiring it, and to the fact that it isn't always practical to hop into a car and run around a circuit if A) the weather is bad, B) it's dark and you're in a series that runs in the day or under heavy lighting, or C) you're wanting to run a particular course but you're nowhere near the course you're wanting to practice.

Even in Formula One, the highest, most technologically advanced, and most expensive form of motorsport on Earth, their drivers spend lots of time with simulators. The top teams have multimillion-dollar simulators that are several orders of magnitude ahead of what folks like us have access to, but even the lesser teams will fall on some kind of simulator. I think it was last year during an F1 broadcast they were interviewing a driver for one of the bottom teams and he commented on how the top teams have those fancy simulators while he had to rely on "a video game" as he put it. I'd say it's a fair bet he wasn't referring to Gran Turismo but more likely to something like iRacing.

If F1 bothers with simulators, you can bet your last dollar that other lesser series will definitely bother with simulators. I'd say most of them, if not all of them, use something like iRacing rather than Gran Turismo, though.

Last edited:

wrong. plenty of pro and amateur racers use iRacing. I used to see AJ and Dale Jr often on the track and in the voicechats when i was really active. iracing is actually a simulator. its not perfect, but it's far more of a sim than gt5. if it werent for the steep price, you could even argue its a better game if you ignore the lack of singleplayer/AI.

wrong. plenty of pro and amateur racers use iRacing. I used to see AJ and Dale Jr often on the track and in the voicechats when i was really active. iracing is actually a simulator. its not perfect, but it's far more of a sim than gt5. if it werent for the steep price, you could even argue its a better game if you ignore the lack of singleplayer/AI.
Agree. But nice avatar 👍 lol

Last edited by a moderator:
The funny thing is that for the way race drivers use simulators GT5 or iRacing makes little difference, mostly to learn the tracks and find brake points/lines. They rarely use them to learn how to race or to upgrade their driving skills putting hundred of hours and hours of playtime like the typical sim player do and even when they try to improve an aspec of driving racing teams use adapted software and hardware to provide an smooth transition between the real thing, mainly to avoid the "harder than real life" know issue with the lack of feedback in sim games.

A lot of race drivers admitted in interviews the use of popular videogames to learn the layout in new tracks, that's mostly GT and F1 games and before iRacing existed.

Anyway if you want to attack Nurburgring with a road car and you never have been there there's no better setup available to learn and respect the track than GT5, 3 screens, a T500 RS, the same car without any aids, cockpit view, comfort tires and damage set to heavy. Notice than in that case GT5 is a much better option than iRacing with the same setup.

In terms of development model, iRacing might be on top. I could totally see a subscription based, online centric service being worthwhile vs the monolithic "ZOMG I've been waiting 6 years" type releases. That's all depending on exact cost and the level of guaranteed support provided of course.

iamsupernasty
So if they didn't have a monthly fee, who would pay for the game R & D? Who would pay for the staff? Who would pay for all of the Web Servers to host the racing?

For Sony it's much easier to charge a flat rate at the beginning, and use their massive size to support the product moving forward. A smaller company like Iracing, needs to charge that monthly fee in order to keep their business running and profitable.

You, well forget it.

I wish there was a demo.

The problem with iRacing is that it costs too much money which is fine if you can afford it. Yes, the physics and the FFB are top rate but it's not GT5. I don't get to drive a production car and no matter how inferior GT5 is to iRacing, it fills the void that I don't get anywhere else (well, there is Forza but that's a different story). The problem with iRacing is that those void is fillable with rFactor (soon to be rFactor 2), netKar (nKar) and even Live for Speed (LFS).

I've brought this up before but seeing that most people compare nKar quite favorably to iRacing especially regarding physics and FFB, Stefano Casillo (the developer for nKar and nKar Pro) in an interview he did last year for Radical Online (a PC sim news and views site) when he was asked about the similarity between iRacing, LFS and nKar Pro in term of how the car feel, he said:

"...Sometimes people ask me what I did to make FF good in netKar PRO. I am clueless.. I think there is a fundamental difference in how FF is calculated in the group netKar PRO, iRacing, Live For Speed, VirtualGP3, even Gran Turismo Academy felt "netKar-ish" to me. I think my FF is, I don't know, 20 lines of code?"

(the rest of the interview: http://tinyurl.com/3vmb3kn)

Sure with iRacing ver 2.0, the sim has probably pulled away from the rest of the pack. But PS4 is just around the corner and what was impossible in PS2 was made probable with the PS3 and I imagine in a next year or two, console sims will no longer be a misnomer.

Drivers themselves have said: "We learned the Nurburrgring track by playing GT5." Real life racers play GT5, as soccer players play Fifa. Dunno what you are all going on about iRacing and stuff, i stick to my GT5. Legendary series, legendary games. 👍

iracing is better but there is a monthly fee to play and you have to pay for cars and tracks
i cant afford it :(

I've played both.....................IRACING wins. not even a contest.

IRACING has a ton more content and it really throws you into the racing, while GT5 gets boring fast

I saw this thread yesterday & thought "would it what" I thought by now you would've actually expanded on your question & made it answerable by now.. I was wrong.
If you meand would GT5 beat iRacing? in graphics yes, is physics no, in competition online no, in value maybe.
Does that answer your question as we don't know what it is.
Next time you open a thread make it clear as to the intent will you?
Would it just doesn't suffice as a decent or answerable question in this case.

This colour and font makes it almost impossible for me to read your text.

Back