GT5P Online Rankings

• Thread starter sstein
  • 127 comments
Why can't PD manage these online rankings? Take the Honda Integra Type-R for example on High Speed Ring. All the top guys are getting their top times by riding the barriers.

Turn one is flat, turn 2 is a 4th gear bend but they just steam in flat out and ricochet off the barrier! The same goes for the last corner, instead of dropping to 4th / 5th they just go in flat out and bounce off the barrier without getting a penalty?

Surely PD can go on and check these once a week or whatever and delete these times?

Or do people see this as a fair way to lap? I have noticed people doing it in races as well, surely this isn't an acceptable line through these corners?

-

Stuart

online tag: MGStuart

Its not a fair way to lap. PD should delete these times! Or make better penalty system, lap does not count if someone hits a wall of something.

i feel the same way. thats why we keep saying the penalty system is stupid. if you manage to hit the car sideways, more likely you will not get a penalty.

its just stupid, unexusable and just sad.

its been like this since GT1, so i won't get my hopes on them fixing it. (since GT1 we had those license tests with penalties, but you could do almost the same riding the walls trick, all long as you have a good angle).

solution in the meantime: only do timetrials on cheat free tracks, so, always pro mode and only suzuka and daytona road. i've seen cheats on all the others.

TT 750PP on HSR is ridiculous. Best lap is 1.02 with Ford GT LM :lol:
I tried the Corvette and the best I could manage was a low 1.06.xxx

TT 750PP on HSR is ridiculous. Best lap is 1.02 with Ford GT LM :lol:
I tried the Corvette and the best I could manage was a low 1.06.xxx

The Ford GT LM is out and out faster that any other car in the game, which corvette did you use, if its the non tuned version, you are insane to think that you'd come close to matching the LM's time.

Even with the tuned Z06 you'd have a difficult time beating a good GT LM drivers time.

To me, Time Trials are a joke

No, not just because of the wall surfing or course cutting at certain tracks, even though that is a huge problem.

It's because all the top times are from guys who ran maybe 100-200 laps at the track in the car, and probably crashed it or had major off course excursions 40% of the laps.

I use to waste my time away running hot lap after hot lap in GT3/GT4 trying to catch the top guys but now I realize it isn't worth it.

Nobody runs that fast in a race, if they try and push that hard they will spin away more time then they can make up on the track.

And in the end what is the reward? 99.99% of us won't reach the top 10 once alot of guys get this game, so why even bother to have your name listed elsewhere?

Sad PD puts so much effort into keeping these times but they can't bother to keep the stats that really matter. Wins, finishes, disconnection rate, etc etc

No, not just because of the wall surfing or course cutting at certain tracks, even though that is a huge problem.

It's because all the top times are from guys who ran maybe 100-200 laps at the track in the car, and probably crashed it or had major off course excursions 40% of the laps.

I use to waste my time away running hot lap after hot lap in GT3/GT4 trying to catch the top guys but now I realize it isn't worth it.

Nobody runs that fast in a race, if they try and push that hard they will spin away more time then they can make up on the track.

And in the end what is the reward? 99.99% of us won't reach the top 10 once alot of guys get this game, so why even bother to have your name listed elsewhere?

Sad PD puts so much effort into keeping these times but they can't bother to keep the stats that really matter. Wins, finishes, disconnection rate, etc etc
very true, the stats that we needed are not there.

I agree and disagree with this statement.

Alot depends on the car and track. I agree when racing you don't push quiet as hard as you do when going for hotlaps, however aqquring a fast lap requires consistency because if you start changing your braking points you are more likely to mess up. So because of this you will often find good racers run only .500 slower when racing than their fastest lap.

I thought that was me writing.

100000% agree with you.

Alot depends on the car and track. I agree when racing you don't push quiet as hard as you do when going for hotlaps, however aqquring a fast lap requires consistency because if you start changing your braking points you are more likely to mess up. So because of this you will often find good racers run only .500 slower when racing than their fastest lap.

I agree here... if I have the #1 slot on a track, I am usually coming in top 5 on any given lap, even a 'bad' one. I rarely spin unless I'm in a new car or getting fatigued. But it would be a lot more difficult if more people were competing, so I can see Earth's point.

I've been racing Eiger in pro physics, and the competition is decent and the top slots for the cars I've used were all pretty clean. I'm enjoying that while it's still true.

I find the time trials beneficial. Hot-lapping to get the best overall time is a great way to learn the braking points on a track in spite of the fact that you're continuously restarting. Once these are memorized, simple adjustments are easier while being forced to take different lines during a race. For me, the online wins come a lot easier after a session of time trials.
Besides, it's an interesting way of competing with people from around the globe that you normally can't race online against.

On a similar topic, why do the rankings on the main menu only show times with the S2 tires? The individual time trials online show the ranking for that particular competition but do I have to switch to the S2 tires to have it show on the main menu rankings page.

I'm sure I've said this elsewhere, but I think it's worth pointing out again;

All the fast drivers you see online from GTRP, GTNDC, GTIRN, GTWeb etc; are all hotlappers. There are those who can consistently hotlap within one second of their Personal best without error, and then there those who can't. There are those who hit their hotlap limit within 30 minutes, and then there those who need to do "100-200" laps to reach their limit and not even come close to top guys.

The Dutch LAN has just finished, with Hugo Boss winning every race he took part in. Yet another hotlapper.

There's hol101 who took part in the ESWC (Electronic Sports World Cup). Before entering all he did was hotlapping, never even raced in a LAN before. I believe he came 4th.

I think many people need to spend more time on time trials, not exclusively to achieve a top record. Time trials are a great way to practice and to get to know each car and track. Many people go straight to the online mode and get frustrated when they realize they can't compete...their solution to ram other other cars.

I find the online time trial events to be the best place to tune my cars and find their limits. I also like measuring my performance against others in a time trial format, though I've still got a long ways to go in that regard.

Online racing is a different beast altogether. The traction loss when leading makes it impossible for me to even approach my best time trial times, in part because I can't trust the car to operate at the limit when that limit is always changing. Nevertheless, it's a different sort of challenge, and I enjoy that as well.

Sphinx
I'm sure I've said this elsewhere, but I think it's worth pointing out again;

All the fast drivers you see online from GTRP, GTNDC, GTIRN, GTWeb etc; are all hotlappers. There are those who can consistently hotlap within one second of their Personal best without error, and then there those who can't. There are those who hit their hotlap limit within 30 minutes, and then there those who need to do "100-200" laps to reach their limit and not even come close to top guys.

The Dutch LAN has just finished, with Hugo Boss winning every race he took part in. Yet another hotlapper.

My beef isn't really with hotlappers, it's with the emphasis PD seems to put on time trials in GT5P online but they totally ignore everything else about online.

Heck, even the offline mode's events are nothing but a large time trial in disguise.

I've raced in a couple of hot lap "races" with GTRP drivers and even they admitted that they, like me, tried for hours on end to improve their time. That's the problem, time trial/hot laps usually get to a point where it is just rediculous.

For example the Rotary Wankel Midfield Fun Day lap time comparison that was very popular in GT3. Everyone was spending 2 hours a night running hundreds of lap around Midfield in the 787b trying to improve their time. Anyone who claimed to have gotten a top 10 time there in just 30 minutes is lying. I ended up with a 56.350 or something, which was at the time .4 off the fastest time at that date, but a few weeks later someone ran a 55.450 or something.

It just got out of control. To go that fast I was driving a car that was scraping the ground everywhere and handled awkwardly but was very fast but inconsistant due to the poor handling. I ended up spinning and crashing or restarting lap after lap because I hit the final exit wrong which hurt my speed for the next lap.

Another thing I don't like about time trials is the 'Restart' button. Now if GT5P had qualifying online and some guys ran some fast laps over 1-2 lap period with no restart I would be impressed. Now I'm not saying hot lappers aren't fast under pressure or in a race etc etc. It's just that when I download the ghost replay of top time to see him getting pushing the car to it's absolute limit where anymore would result in a crash or spin it is impressive, but for someone like me now who prides himself in not spinning or crashing I can't see myself ever pushing a car that hard anymore. I'd rather drive it like I bought it, not like it's just a plastic toy to throw around and maybe ram a barrier once or twice.

In NASCAR 2003 I was always 1-1.5 seconds off the pole in qualifying on road courses and .5 on ovals (due to shorter distance), but I almost always caught the leaders in the race. I'm a better racer then hot lapper, and I think alot of that has to do with the idea I try and drive the car at 95% to avoid damage or mistakes, and the pole sitters etc also drive at 95% for the race to avoid damage and mistakes so we become more equal. That's why I'd prefer GT5P to focus on racing and not hot lapping.

Sphinx
There's hol101 who took part in the ESWC (Electronic Sports World Cup). Before entering all he did was hotlapping, never even raced in a LAN before. I believe he came 4th.

Haha what's the point in trying to beat someone like this in time trial or on the track. You practice long enough and have some sort of ability you will be fast

But that brings me to another point

REAL (well only partly real due to rubber band physics) racing has finally come to Gran Turismo.

I've started to grow more and more upset with the Long Race Series over the past year, to me the "racing" wasn't real or fair. Why? Because just like hot laps everyone including myself would just push the restart button if they made a mistake that cost them time. Then we would just run the race over and over until we made no mistakes and had the perfect pit strategy then we would submit our time. Lately I would only run the race once and it would show in my time as I would be beat quite soundly.

I've been tempted to start a GT5P long race series here in the forums but I have stopped myself knowing it wouldn't be real racing until we have private rooms and can actually race eachother "live"

In the GT5P Subform "Race Events" there is a hot lap time trial there disguised as a "Spot Race". I don't see how "Race" should be associated with this. It should just be called "Time Trial" and thats it. As we speak drivers are piling up the laps and crashed cars trying to improve their time there. I'll pass.

I've recently became a huge fan of endurance racing because I figured out I could outsmart/outlast the hot lappers.

In qualifying for an online Le Mans 24 hour race the pole sitter ran a 3'28.xxx and I ran a 3'32.xxx. 4 secons slower. But when you watch their replays what do you see? Erratic racing line due to over driving the car, locking up the brakes consistantly, and other mistakes. In due time most of the 'hot lappers' who could run fast laps broke gears in their transmissions and damaged their cars by pushing them too hard and crashing into a wall or a backmarker. Alot of the incidents they were in would have finished the car if the damage was as realistic as real life. As for me I hit no cars/barriers/guardrails etc and spun just once in the ford chicane for an unknown reason in my 4 hours of driving in that race.

That resulted in our 'slow' team moving up to as high as 5th place in the 33 car event at the 17th hour before a bug in the track wrecked the car.

If I want to improve my driving I'll use "free run"

Mabe I'm just upset that it's impossible to have a half decent "real" race in GT5P online or offline because of the lack of damage, tire wear, fuel usage, and qualifying.

So here's my final message

Hotlappers your time has almost come to an end, the days of GT4 hotlapping are almost over, and soon, once GT5P has private lobbies the "Hotlapper" will become extinct! or most likely put into his rightful place behind races

My beef isn't really with hotlappers, it's with the emphasis PD seems to put on time trials in GT5P online but they totally ignore everything else about online.

Heck, even the offline mode's events are nothing but a large time trial in disguise.

I've raced in a couple of hot lap "races" with GTRP drivers and even they admitted that they, like me, tried for hours on end to improve their time. That's the problem, time trial/hot laps usually get to a point where it is just rediculous.

For example the Rotary Wankel Midfield Fun Day lap time comparison that was very popular in GT3. Everyone was spending 2 hours a night running hundreds of lap around Midfield in the 787b trying to improve their time. Anyone who claimed to have gotten a top 10 time there in just 30 minutes is lying. I ended up with a 56.350 or something, which was at the time .4 off the fastest time at that date, but a few weeks later someone ran a 55.450 or something.

It just got out of control. To go that fast I was driving a car that was scraping the ground everywhere and handled awkwardly but was very fast but inconsistant due to the poor handling. I ended up spinning and crashing or restarting lap after lap because I hit the final exit wrong which hurt my speed for the next lap.

Another thing I don't like about time trials is the 'Restart' button. Now if GT5P had qualifying online and some guys ran some fast laps over 1-2 lap period with no restart I would be impressed. Now I'm not saying hot lappers aren't fast under pressure or in a race etc etc. It's just that when I download the ghost replay of top time to see him getting pushing the car to it's absolute limit where anymore would result in a crash or spin it is impressive, but for someone like me now who prides himself in not spinning or crashing I can't see myself ever pushing a car that hard anymore. I'd rather drive it like I bought it, not like it's just a plastic toy to throw around and maybe ram a barrier once or twice.

In NASCAR 2003 I was always 1-1.5 seconds off the pole in qualifying on road courses and .5 on ovals (due to shorter distance), but I almost always caught the leaders in the race. I'm a better racer then hot lapper, and I think alot of that has to do with the idea I try and drive the car at 95% to avoid damage or mistakes, and the pole sitters etc also drive at 95% for the race to avoid damage and mistakes so we become more equal. That's why I'd prefer GT5P to focus on racing and not hot lapping.

Haha what's the point in trying to beat someone like this in time trial or on the track. You practice long enough and have some sort of ability you will be fast

But that brings me to another point

REAL (well only partly real due to rubber band physics) racing has finally come to Gran Turismo.

I've started to grow more and more upset with the Long Race Series over the past year, to me the "racing" wasn't real or fair. Why? Because just like hot laps everyone including myself would just push the restart button if they made a mistake that cost them time. Then we would just run the race over and over until we made no mistakes and had the perfect pit strategy then we would submit our time. Lately I would only run the race once and it would show in my time as I would be beat quite soundly.

I've been tempted to start a GT5P long race series here in the forums but I have stopped myself knowing it wouldn't be real racing until we have private rooms and can actually race eachother "live"

In the GT5P Subform "Race Events" there is a hot lap time trial there disguised as a "Spot Race". I don't see how "Race" should be associated with this. It should just be called "Time Trial" and thats it. As we speak drivers are piling up the laps and crashed cars trying to improve their time there. I'll pass.

I've recently became a huge fan of endurance racing because I figured out I could outsmart/outlast the hot lappers.

In qualifying for an online Le Mans 24 hour race the pole sitter ran a 3'28.xxx and I ran a 3'32.xxx. 4 secons slower. But when you watch their replays what do you see? Erratic racing line due to over driving the car, locking up the brakes consistantly, and other mistakes. In due time most of the 'hot lappers' who could run fast laps broke gears in their transmissions and damaged their cars by pushing them too hard and crashing into a wall or a backmarker. Alot of the incidents they were in would have finished the car if the damage was as realistic as real life. As for me I hit no cars/barriers/guardrails etc and spun just once in the ford chicane for an unknown reason in my 4 hours of driving in that race.

That resulted in our 'slow' team moving up to as high as 5th place in the 33 car event at the 17th hour before a bug in the track wrecked the car.

If I want to improve my driving I'll use "free run"

Mabe I'm just upset that it's impossible to have a half decent "real" race in GT5P online or offline because of the lack of damage, tire wear, fuel usage, and qualifying.

So here's my final message

Hotlappers your time has almost come to an end, the days of GT4 hotlapping are almost over, and soon, once GT5P has private lobbies the "Hotlapper" will become extinct! or most likely put into his rightful place behind races

Just looks like a big pile of sour grapes to me :dopey: You go on as if all 'hotlappers' know nothing about racing against your perfect style of driving ... you don't know many 'hotlappers' who can race also I take it? ... maybe the evidence you need is to set up a race where a few select 'hotlappers' are going to be at an arranged meeting and i'm sure you will be put right in your place which will not be at the front of the track :sly:

Flame my post ... do whatever! but I can assure you that many 'hotlappers' can RACE as good as they hotlap !!! :)

Just looks like a big pile of sour grapes to me :dopey: You go on as if all 'hotlappers' know nothing about racing against your perfect style of driving ... you don't know many 'hotlappers' who can race also I take it? ... maybe the evidence you need is to set up a race where a few select 'hotlappers' are going to be at an arranged meeting and i'm sure you will be put right in your place which will not be at the front of the track :sly:

Flame my post ... do whatever! but I can assure you that many 'hotlappers' can RACE as good as they hotlap !!! :)

That sounds like a good idea, set me up with the best from the NTSC region that run the Weekly "Race" Series in identical cars for an online race

500pp 600pp 750pp F1 it doesn't matter just bring them

I don't know who the best in the NTSC version but I'm sure a few will step forward to take up this challenge ;) If you wait a few more days I should have my NTSC version through the post as it was sent over a week ago! and I will create an account and take up the challenge also, I consider myself a seasoned hotlapper and feel I can race pretty well also :) Oh yeah Jerry has NTSC too 👍 ... this should be interesting :sly:

I must rather do TT than race online fighting to win a race when the boost is clearly enabled, That 750 pp pro @ suzuka is what you call a joke. All these drivers who think they are good because they can catch up the leader after being 6 seconds behind are in for a very big shock when boost is disabled.

Quali (Hotlapping) and Racing are two totally different things. In ALL major forms of motorsport, lap times during the race are significantly slower than quali times. They're two totally different skill sets.

When hotlapping you don't have to worry about other drivers, study their lines, spot their weaknesses, set yourself up and make a pass or drive a defensive line. You just keep going flat out and hitting reset until you get it perfect. Some drivers may be good at both, but I disagree with the sentiment that most hotlappers are also good racers.

I used to be a hotlapper because the AI sucked in previous GT games, but now that I can race online, I haven't done a time trial yet!

I'll come back to this later. I have a 5 year old weekly race series to attend to. ;)

Quali (Hotlapping) and Racing are two totally different things. In ALL major forms of motorsport, lap times during the race are significantly slower than quali times. They're two totally different skill sets.

When hotlapping you don't have to worry about other drivers, study their lines, spot their weaknesses, set yourself up and make a pass or drive a defensive line. You just keep going flat out and hitting reset until you get it perfect. Some drivers may be good at both, but I disagree with the sentiment that most hotlappers are also good racers.

I used to be a hotlapper because the AI sucked in previous GT games, but now that I can race online, I haven't done a time trial yet!

The best fought races I have had online have been against hotlappers I know from yesteryears GT's, be it Hotlapping or multi lap races ... some guys out there can almost perfect their racing lines lap after lap .. Yeah sure the other racers can get in the way and cause some erratic driving to avoid them! but when they are passed the hammer goes down and you would be seriously shocked at the speed some of the guys better known for hotlapping can produce lap after lap ;) Totally clean racing at a very high standard :)

If Hugo_Boss would like an NTSC version I'll donate it to him just to watch this one. No finer hotlapper and certainly from what I've recently witnessed one of the best drivers I've ever seen.

Say the word Hugo and the NTSC version is yours!

Oh by the way Earth, I know I'M not that good but, I've been on the track with you and I've seen you run....................neither are you my friend when compared to some of these "hotlappers!"

You're good I'll give you that but I'd be real careful about who I'd dis as "just a hotlapper" in this forum. Just one mans humble opinion, and no disrespect intended.

The best fought races I have had online have been against hotlappers I know from yesteryears GT's, be it Hotlapping or multi lap races ... some guys out there can almost perfect their racing lines lap after lap .. Yeah sure the other racers can get in the way and cause some erratic driving to avoid them! but when they are passed the hammer goes down and you would be seriously shocked at the speed some of the guys better known for hotlapping can produce lap after lap ;) Totally clean racing at a very high standard :)

I'm not saying its not possible to have good races with hotlappers, just that they both require different sets of skills.

Case in point: in real auto racing, some drivers are known as "racers" among fans, they usually qualify alright, but really shine during the race, performing more passes than most others, working their way through the pack. A real life example of this is Paul Tracy or JPM.

Other drivers always qualify well and if undisturbed, can stay out front and win the race, but if they're caught by other drivers and are forced to actually race, they don't bode so well. A prime example of a real life hotlapper is Sebastien Bourdais or Massa.

Some drivers have the ability to do both like Michael Schumacher (as much as I hate his guts).

The best hotlappers are going to have the best starting positions in races once proper qualifying is in place. There is certainly a tangible benefit to knowing the fastest way around a course. Running a large number of laps to get a good time is beneficial anyway. Many of those laps will be sub-par: veering off-course; braking incorrectly; rubbing a rail; all that stuff just teaches you how to get back on track after having to leave your usual line.

You may need to race many many laps to get a top qualifying time, and the #1 time of course cannot be guaranteed to be by the overall best driver, but that doesn't make time trials less useful or fun.

Wow, first I've seen of this.

In my almost 2 years here, I've tried the WRS, but it's just not for me. I'm not a "hotlapper". ses la vie. I like the Long Racing Series and it's cadre of endurance races designed to test not only driving skill, but strategy.

You bet your bottom dollar hotlappers can race. There's a reason they are quick on tracks, they know the brake points, turn-outs, and pitfalls that will slow you down. Does that mean they'll likely pit a tad more often, maybe, but they'll still out-race many so-called Enduro-racers, myself included.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that if you've raced 25+ laps, in one session, not crashing/bouncing/skimming barriers or anything else, you've hit your limit for that hot-lap session. I rarely spend more than 15 laps qualifying for anything, even (when I did it) WRS events.

Also, Earth, I'm a one-run-and-done enduro racer myself. if some want to run 5-6 times to get that "perfect" time, so be it. I consider the other sessions as practice/testing. real race teams have practice and testing sessions, why not enduro-racers?

Either way, GT5 will have what everyone will enjoy, be you hot-lap or enduro. also, this is still GT5P, as in Probably not finished.

$.02

I'm not saying its not possible to have good races with hotlappers, just that they both require different sets of skills.

Case in point: in real auto racing, many drivers are known as "racers" among fans, they usually qualify alright, but really shine during the race, performing more passes than most others, working their way through the pack. A real life example of this is Paul Tracy or JPM.

Other drivers always qualify well and if undisturbed, can stay out front and win the race, but if they're caught by other drivers and are forced to actually race, they don't bode so well. A prime example of a real life hotlapper is Sebastien Bourdais or Massa.

Some drivers have the ability to do both like Michael Schumacher (as much as I hate his guts).

And I'm not saying I disagree with your comments regarding real life racing either mate ;)

All I am saying is their are online racers out there who have been racing GT since the very beginning who can race a race like its multiple hotlaps back to back ... and there's plenty of them around! you will find that they are that competitive that they organize races over msn or chatrooms when to enter a specific event just to guarantee the quality of the field is better than a random click and enter :)

They do exist and can also throw down back to back laps that a lot of people would find hard to match even with a boost system ;)

I'm sure given a few days and word of mouth ... some kind of meeting can be arranged where Earth can experience some Old School hotlappers in real time multilap races 👍

I always used hotlap competitions to do better in I-links,X-links and lans.

Track and car knowledge is so important to have a chance to win races against strong opposition.

Winning a few races against new GT people who won't have a clue what racing is all about isn't enough to call yourself the best racer,Earth.

I hope you realise what you started.
Every race you lose from now on ,will follow you.

Congrats.👍

Back