GT5P Online Rankings

• Thread starter sstein
  • 127 comments
When you're racing like that you have to take the best and fastest line available when you're in the lead right in front of the other one.
Otherwise the other person will overtake.
If you're driving cleanly you have to wait until the driver in front made a mistake or you can find a spot where you can overtake by using the slipstream.

I wasn't going to post it here, but after your vid I would like to show how a real close battle at high speed looks like.
There is little room for error, and you'll need some serious hotlapping skills to close the gap after making one.
Especially if it's a battle between 2 experts.

watch and enjoy
http://www.vimeo.com/981114

you have to take the best and fastest line available

That's what "those who know what to do when they're not in the fast lane" means.

BTW, your video says it is private or something like that.

That's what "those who know what to do when they're not in the fast lane" means.

BTW, your video says it is private or something like that.
weird, can't remember that i've put it private.
it should be available now.

'those who know what to do when they're not in the fast lane'

I though that meant that you were being blocked by someone in front and you have to know how to overtake.
The better you are at hotlapping the harder it is for the person behind to find a spot where he can overtake

I though that meant that you were being blocked by someone in front and you have to know how to overtake.
The better you are at hotlapping the harder it is for the person behind to find a spot where he can overtake

This brings me back to one of my first comments in this thread:

In real auto racing, some drivers are known as "racers" among fans, they usually qualify alright, but really shine during the race, performing more passes than most others, working their way through the pack. A real life example of this is Paul Tracy or JPM.

Other drivers always qualify well and if undisturbed, can stay out front and win the race, but if they're caught by other drivers and are forced to actually race, they don't bode so well. A prime example of a real life hotlapper is Sebastien Bourdais or Massa.

Some drivers have the ability to do both like Michael Schumacher (as much as I hate his guts).

You are talking about specific drivers, not all hotlappers. That's the problem.
Drivers like Vexd and Hugo are excellent hotlappers, but they have no problems with clean overtaking, like the vid clearly shows. And many of the hotlappers are also good at clean overtaking and being able to endure pressure while being chased.
Do not talk about certain drivers and say all hotlappers are bad racers.

Not all hotlappers are good racers and not all hotlappers are bad racers. Accept it.

weird, can't remember that i've put it private.
it should be available now.

Pretty close battle for sure. Especially breath taking the last sprint on the final lap long straight. Are you Vexd or Hugo?

Yeah, you are right, I misread your post.

Pretty close battle for sure. Especially breath taking the last sprint on the final lap long straight. Are you Vexd or Hugo?

Yeah, you are right, I misread your post.

Vexd and Hugo (Boss) are both members here and participate in the WRS
I wasn't, I even gave an example of a good hotlapper/racer.

Only read the bold part, didn't see the good comment. Sorry.

maybe I'm getting the wrong picture here. You have hotlappers and racers arguing. Both sides have valid arguments. You need hotlaps to learn. You need hotlaps for qualifying(GT5:P hopefully will change that)I like hotlaps sometimes...Not all the time. I may not even come close to record times, set by you guys or anyone else. But I've turned lap after lap after lap. trying to compete with forum times here and elsewhere. I'm stoked for those who have great times, sometimes I wish it me just because I put so much time in on this entire GT series. But I buy every racing game...to RACE. head-to-head competition, I'm done seeking perfection. I want my heart to slow down when I pass someone in a good fight. But I don't want the smile on my face to go away when I beat a good racer in a good honest clean RACE. Online racing is my frontier. I'm here to give you guys good, friendly competetion. Want to race? Good lets race. Want to do hotlaps all day? thats fine too, but I think some will miss out on some good intense battles with each other. It would be a shame to do hotlaps then not challenge your fellow GTP in some good ol'fashion paint tradin'

Ok I just want to make sure I understand everyone correctly, I was getting the impression that people were saying that hotlapping does nothing to help you become a better racer. Is this correct?

Ok I just want to make sure I understand everyone correctly, I was getting the impression that people were saying that hotlapping does nothing to help you become a better racer. Is this correct?

Some people's comments suggested that, yes. :dopey:

But we won't keep talking about that now, will we? :dunce:

Well, then look at the video i've put up on the previous page.
Vexd is a hotlapper and he has to start 5th in that race and has to overtake the other cars to get to the leader.
He can do this very cleanly.
The battle between 1st and 2nd also show some pretty impressive overtaking on places most will crash or at least make contact when making such a move.

A good hotlapper knows the limits of what his car can do, and can go to that very limit in a race.

Well, then look at the video i've put up on the previous page.
Vexd is a hotlapper and he has to start 5th in that race and has to overtake the other cars to get to the leader.
He can do this very cleanly.
The battle between 1st and 2nd also show some pretty impressive overtaking on places most will crash or at least make contact when making such a move.

A good hotlapper knows the limits of what his car can do, and can go to that very limit in a race.

I don't know the drivers but they did do well, although GT does have extremely forgiving crash physics and GT4 cars handled like bricks glued to the track.

I'm not saying prolific hotlappers can't race in a crowd, I just want to see them do it. The drivers in your video did well, but that's just them, just 6 drivers. I think a good portion of the GT4 drivers on this site are near exclusive hotlappers, I'm just waiting to see how they fair in a crowd.

Didn't you see the first bit of the vid with the overtaking?
Starting 5th in a 6 car race or 16 car race doesn't really make a difference here.
The cars were still very close to each other, so overtaking wasn't easy.

And also, the GT4 physics don't differ so much from the standard physics in GT5P.
You still have to know where the limit is. GT5p or not.

Didn't you see the first bit of the vid with the overtaking?
Starting 5th in a 6 car race or 16 car race doesn't really make a difference here.
The cars were still very close to each other, so overtaking wasn't easy.

And also, the GT4 physics don't differ so much from the standard physics in GT5P.
You still have to know where the limit is. GT5p or not.

I agree, hotlapping does help you know where your limit is so you can avoid crashing into other cars better.

I think that hotlappers have broader skills to racers. Its difficult to make a racer the best hotlapper but easier to make a hotlapper a good racer.

I'm not saying prolific hotlappers can't race in a crowd, I just want to see them do it. The drivers in your video did well, but that's just them, just 6 drivers. I think a good portion of the GT4 drivers on this site are near exclusive hotlappers, I'm just waiting to see how they fair in a crowd.

You know why most of them are near exclusive hotlappers? Because they never had the opportunity to race. I'm sure a lot of them will keep you behind with ease after some practice. I won't look too much forward to that if I were you.

During this complete thread, you're only talking about hotlappers vs. racers, but you're completely ignoring the fact that you have different types of racers. That already tells me enough. You simply have no idea where you're talking about, you're only ventilating your unease with hotlappers and try to outline yourself as a better driver because you have some experience with live racing. I would say enjoy the boost in GT5P online racing as long as you can, since the reality can become quite confronting when the private rooms are introduced.

Hugo Boss
You know why most of them are near exclusive hotlappers? Because they never had the opportunity to race. I'm sure a lot of them will keep you behind with ease after some practice. I won't look too much forward to that if I were you.

I'm accused of being haughty and thinking I have a supreme driving style, yet you make comments like this regularly.

Hugo Boss
During this complete thread, you're only talking about hotlappers vs. racers, but you're completely ignoring the fact that you have different types of racers. That already tells me enough. You simply have no idea where you're talking about, you're only ventilating your unease with hotlappers and try to outline yourself as a better driver because you have some experience with live racing. I would say enjoy the boost in GT5P online racing as long as you can, since the reality can become quite confronting when the private rooms are introduced.

Now I've only said I would like to see how the drivers who spent the majority of their time hotlapping in GT4 will behave in race conditions, if they can keep close to the pace to their hot laps, or would they be easily forced into mistakes because most of them lack race experience vs real drivers. I already know I'm not a great hotlapper, I'm a much better racer, and I'm eager to see how I race vs drivers on this board who have beat me in the past in hot lap competitions. Of course at the moment this is nearly impossible because of the boost.

Now you on the other hand have come off as extremely haughty. It doesn't help that a random crony of your's comes in every once in a while and posts a video of you or kisses your butt in a comment which inflates you're already bloated head even bigger.

The way you talk is as someone who is restricted to Gran Turismo and you speak to me as I am also restricted to Gran Turismo. I have been racing sims online for the past 6 years while you were most likely running hot laps chasing a ghost or beating up on 5 brain dead AI with a random tournament vs 5 others thrown in every once in a while.

Have you ever been in an online race longer then 30 minutes? Or even a measly hour? How about damage? How about mechanical failures? Have you even locked tires up and blew them out? Yet you are going to come in my face and talk nonsense about how I'm going to be in shock when I race without the boost and drivers beat me by 3 seconds a lap. Hate to burst your bubble, but I've already experienced that for several years now in many sims.

I don't know who you are trying to stick up for, but you are making your self look like an elitest in front of everyone except for of course your cronies. BTW where is the Hugo Boss fan club? You should make one if you don't have one. You would have alot of members ready to do your bidding.

Remember who started this debate Earth! you did and the original statements were from you alone ... I am no member of any fan club for myself or any others but Hugo can seriously kick ass in Live racing and online racing so he has my full respect at his abilities :cheers:

You seem very bitter to me regarding your performance on the track with GT5P and it comes across that you just want to vent at anyone simply to take the edge of your disgust at your own performances online .. that fair enough! to each his own .. but you should always expect the people you vent against to be able to vent back and thats exactly what you are seeing ;)

btw! I was in a race with you the other night on the NTSC version at Suzuka PP600 but never once saw you in the race after turn 1? was there some problem with your car on that occasion? must have been a flat tyre or something to be so far behind .. and the boost was not really doing its job either :sly: Looking forward to our next encounter and maybe I will see what car you are driving 👍

Now don't try to fool us by claiming you're only interested in seeing how the hotlappers are going to perform in online racing. You alread made your point earlier this thread:

So here's my final message

Hotlappers your time has almost come to an end, the days of GT4 hotlapping are almost over, and soon, once GT5P has private lobbies the "Hotlapper" will become extinct! or most likely put into his rightful place behind races

I'm only jumping on you because you come over as feeling superior to the hotlappers because you have some online racing experience. You're free to have your own opinion, but when you can't formulate it in an appropriate way, just keep it for yourself in the future.

I'm fed up with your stubbornness and ignorance. Several people here have tried to let you see the light, but you're just not willing to listen. I'm done here.

Double post or not I don't care ban me if you want, I hate I even replied to his dribble. As I type this I haven't even seen your response nor will I read it, so you will have wasted your time like I wasted mine dealing with you

That's the thing with forums you end up associating with people you'd never ever would if you knew them in person

I've had enough, I don't feel well and then I got this guy who thinks I have no right to a personal opinion, and my opinion should be his, and that I know nothing about racing real or virtual, typical hard headed forum user.

I'm finished with spending all this time here, I'll stick to personal friends and won't waste as much time here anymore. I'll stick around only because I got to know a couple of really cool guys here and I will use this place to meet up with them online, but as far as getting involved with discussions like this its fruitless because of what I stated above.

To me, Time Trials are a joke

No, not just because of the wall surfing or course cutting at certain tracks, even though that is a huge problem.

It's because all the top times are from guys who ran maybe 100-200 laps at the track in the car, and probably crashed it or had major off course excursions 40% of the laps.

I have to sorta agree here. I could never get remotely lose to a WR in Live For Speed because a lot of those guys were aliens. I spent/wasted literally days tuning my car and lapped for hours on end with no positive results. I started downloading some WR setups and I found that the fastest cars were so completely unstable that they could never compete well in a race.

I got a WR at Suzuka w/ the Tamora and had it for a couple of days, some guy beat me, and then I spent forever taking it back. It was a waste of time, because all the time I spent doing Time Trials (and constantly restarting because I didn't get a corner right), actually made my online racing suffer. You can't race at that kind of pace. I'm sticking to online racing.

Double post or not I don't care ban me if you want, I hate I even replied to his dribble. As I type this I haven't even seen your response nor will I read it, so you will have wasted your time like I wasted mine dealing with you

That's the thing with forums you end up associating with people you'd never ever would if you knew them in person

I've had enough, I don't feel well and then I got this guy who thinks I have no right to a personal opinion, and my opinion should be his, and that I know nothing about racing real or virtual, typical hard headed forum user.

I'm finished with spending all this time here, I'll stick to personal friends and won't waste as much time here anymore. I'll stick around only because I got to know a couple of really cool guys here and I will use this place to meet up with them online, but as far as getting involved with discussions like this its fruitless because of what I stated above.

My, my. I think I'll just take my ball and go home! You were in a race recently with 5 or 6 of us.............the only one you beat was me, a lowly mid of the pack Div III hotlapper who's old enough to be your father!

"...I'll stick to personal friends...." why? Because they lick your boots? Because they think you're the greatest thing since sliced bread? Great for the ego isn't it! In reality your a very good driver I'll give you that. I've been on the track with you and consider you a very clean driver as well, but your arrogance borders on.............. oh, never mind. You just don't get it!

Go play with your friends in your little world, but rest assured you are missing out on racing with some incredibly talented, respectful and clean drivers who are also very fast. Alas I guess it is better to be a big fish in a little pond!

Edit: I too am done with this thread, it has become pointless.

Hotlappers run good, I just want to see how they do in a crowd

4b+lPaQsVNFrmhLvHJx+x1+3hBfrVqfl0300.jpg

:confused:

Although I agree with some parts of your central thesis, Earth - that hotlapping and racing are two very different disciplines - I'm not following the purpose of this debate other than to encourage people to start banding veiled (and even not-so veiled) insults or ill-feeling around...

In either case, if we want to have a "debate" about who makes a better racer or hotlapper, then we should let our driving do the talking...

Here's my tuppence worth:

Racing and hotlapping are two different disciplines: Correct

... to a point

Thing is they use a lot of the same skills in crossover - corner entry speed, exit speed, gear changes, steering... there's a lot of common ground here. I'd bet my left bumcheek that Schumacher or Senna or Hamilton could hotlap the ass off a normal driver, they are also good racers because they've learned to deal with a couple of extra factors that don't come up when you're ghost racing.

Fine - so there's more to racing than hotlaping, that's a given but surely that doesn't diminish a hotlappers abilities. Some of the GT5P top laps are wicked sick, a mixture of perfect setup and perfect execution. I'd be very surprised if someone who shows that level of car control on a test lap couldn't hold their own against traffic.

Speaking as a hotlapper who has only recently made the transition to online racing - it didn't take much to pick up, there's a bunch of mobile obstacles that you occasionally have to deal with but knowing the limits of the car and what happens when I _____ in a situation hasn't really changed dramatically.

Bottom line - there are good drivers and bad drivers and a sliding scale between I really fail to see how driving round a track, on your own, a couple of hundred times and coming off "40%" of the time makes you any less skilled. As far as I'm concerned practice, of any kind, will only stand to make you better.

Although I agree with some parts of your central thesis, Earth - that hotlapping and racing are two very different disciplines - I'm not following the purpose of this debate other than to encourage people to start banding veiled (and even not-so veiled) insults or ill-feeling around...

In either case, if we want to have a "debate" about who makes a better racer or hotlapper, then we should let our driving do the talking...

I'm done with commenting on this topic as I've expressed my opinion and it has not changed after reading all the other comments, but I just wanted to thank you for stating the obvious as I think some members need to be reminded of it. If everyone stopped insulting each other for having a different viewpoint, this board would be a much nicer place to be. I got so frustrated earlier in this thread that I contemplated leaving these boards altogether. It's a videogame we all enjoy playing, there is no need for personal attacks.

:cheers:

Moderator Edit:

Thanks for giving away the results for the F1, I was going to watch it later and I'm sure many others will also.

Spoiler removed. :grumpy:

Sphinx.

Latest Posts

Back