GT5P Online Rankings

• Thread starter sstein
  • 127 comments
Well, I've calmed down now as there was a bee in my bonnet yesterday for sure. As one of the senior citizens around here (I'm fast going on 60) l should be a more calming factor so I shall attempt to do so.

I've only been playing this game for oh, maybe 2 years. When I first arrived at WRS I didn't know an apex from pit lane. The only stressful driving I'd ever done was rush hour in D.C. Gradually from hot lapping and making friends here (the helpful kind) I learned about track management. I learned from those whom I hold in very hight esteem to use a manual tranny and no driving aids. I practiced, I hotlapped and I've learned quite a bit about racing as well.

Now maybe, just maybe I've improved to the point that when I do go on line I am not a danger to those around me. I suppose had it not been for those 2 years of running in good company that I may be the subject of some of the complaints we are constantly reading about concerning on line racers. If you can call them that. I'd rather let you go than make a bad pass. Do I make bad passes, sure I do, I think we all do here and there we're only human. I just try NOT to make bad passes. If you leave me that inside line and I think I can out brake you I will more than likely attempt to take advantage without causing you damage. If I'm lucky enough to get to the front (and I have won my share) I try to use the knowledge gained as a "hotlapper" to use the fastest line I can to stay there.

When I take a new car out of the garage in gt5p do I go directly into a race? NO! I free run it. (hot lap if you will) I want to know what that car is going to do before I try to push it in a race. I suspect our constant source of #ankers don't do that. I suspect most of my lesser experienced hot lappers aka racers do the same. So hot lappers are here to stay and to suggest otherwise is just nonsense.

Our competitive nature suggests that if someone puts up a "record" time in a roller skate with a 5hp go cart engine someone else will come along and want to break it. It's just the nature of the beast. How fast can I lap in a car that is under powered by say 50 hp? Can I give up 100 PP and still be competitive? If I use the perfect line can I ........?
So you see my friend the questions will never end and there aren't enough answers to go around.

Enjoy your racing on line Earth, and those of us who care to do so will enjoy both.

Oh yea, just one more thing. My grand daddy taught me that when the hole gets over your head..............put the shovel down!

👍 Well said

With age comes wisdom :sly:

What is with the hotlappers' elitest attitude around here!? This is a videogame people! All I'm saying is that hotlapping and racing require 2 different skills sets and doing hotlapping only will not make you a good racer and doing racing only will not make you a good hotlapper.

"Elitest" attitude? It wasn't a hot lapper who got on here and made the statement to the effect that our days were numbered. I assure you if I were to make the statement that all online racers were ...... pick an adjective, I'd be flamed into next year!

This isn't even a matter of who's right or wrong. It is a matter of having respect for those who enjoy different aspects of our "game" / "sport." When "Earth" made the comment (I para-phrase here) "...that the days of the hot lapper were numbered..." Well, can you imagine someone making that comment about online racers, or Canadians, or Yanks, or Brits?
What would you're response be? You'd defend yourself and that which you have respect for and enjoy. Why is that an elitest attitude?

I fail to see the logic in you're post in this particular instance. Yes, it is a game. Yes, there are many aspects to what makes up a good car driver. However, first and foremost we should have respect for one another, follow some basic rules and try to enjoy the game and each others talents. I fail to see what makes that an elitest attitude! Just MHO.

"Elitest" attitude? It wasn't a hot lapper who got on here and made the statement to the effect that our days were numbered. I assure you if I were to make the statement that all online racers were ...... pick an adjective, I'd be flamed into next year!

This isn't even a matter of who's right or wrong. It is a matter of having respect for those who enjoy different aspects of our "game" / "sport." When "Earth" made the comment (I para-phrase here) "...that the days of the hot lapper were numbered..." Well, can you imagine someone making that comment about online racers, or Canadians, or Yanks, or Brits?
What would you're response be? You'd defend yourself and that which you have respect for and enjoy. Why is that an elitest attitude?

I fail to see the logic in you're post in this particular instance. Yes, it is a game. Yes, there are many aspects to what makes up a good car driver. However, first and foremost we should have respect for one another, follow some basic rules and try to enjoy the game and each others talents. I fail to see what makes that an elitest attitude! Just MHO.

He flamed hotlappers so you flame racers? That's mature... I've been a hotlapper since GT2 and still hotlap in rFactor and Live for Speed. I fully understand the desire to make that perfect lap, but now that I can have a decent online racing experience in GT5:P, I've switched over to being more of a racer. I'd hardly say racers are just inexperienced hotlappers. :rolleyes:

2 wrongs don't make a right. If you're 60 (2.5x my age), shouldn't YOU be teaching ME these life lessons? ;)

He flamed hotlappers so you flame racers? That's mature... I've been a hotlapper since GT2 and still hotlap in rFactor and Live for Speed. I fully understand the desire to make that perfect lap, but now that I can have a decent online racing experience in GT5:P, I've switched over to being more of a racer. I'd hardly say racers are just inexperienced hotlappers. :rolleyes:

2 wrongs don't make a right. If you're 60 (2.5x my age), shouldn't YOU be teaching ME these life lessons? ;)

I don't believe I flamed all "racers" I'm sure I may have defended my right to hot lap and took on a racer, "Earth." I"m also sure I was not very pleasant in my defense.

In point of fact I have no ax to grind with you, slicecom. In point of fact I was on the track with you as recently as last night if memory serves and we had a very nice race. I followed and you lead me around the track 'cause I was using pro physics for the first time. In point of fact I'd race with you anytime.

As for me teaching anyone anything? If you want a role model, look to your parents. I'm some old guy you don't know and wouldn't want to know more than likely. I'm old, gray, grumpy, don't see very well and sometimes find it hard to get up and walk in the morning. We tend to have a lot of gas as well.
We get that way after awhile. :grumpy:

What I do have is a profound respect for others and their right to be different. But alas, I am human and sometimes people just piss me off!:guilty:

Blah blah blah! some of you guys will nit pick and nit pick some more just to get the last word :dopey: He never flamed any racers! .. but because he gave an example if he had been the topic starter against the other side as a for instance ... you then go on about his maturity even though his statement was not a direct assault on anyone :dunce:

I'm late to this party, but I feel the need to throw in my 2 cents. :sly:

Many of my fellow WRS's have already backed up our (Hotlappers) position in here. I've been playing GT for about 4 years. I bought GT3 and completed the game 100% with DS2. When GT4 came out, I bought a DFP and it took me until this time last year to complete the game 100%. Then I found GTP and the WRS.

The WRS is a hotlap series, yes, but if you want to be competitive, it forces you to become a better driver. I started out running at the very bottom of the pack in D3 in week 112 of the WRS. By listening to advice from and watching laps of better drivers, I was able to learn to drive without aids, learn to drive with manual transmission, learn to quickly adjust to different car and track combos, and fully learn the ins and outs of nearly all of the tracks on GT4, something I could not say before. 45 weeks later, I was able to build up to consistently perform at the top of my division and have been moved into D2. I'm a middle of the pack racer in WRS, still normally 1-2 seconds per minute off the pace of the fastest drivers like Hugo or Mr. P.

But when racing online, I am able to control the car effectively, know the racing line, and generally keep from having anything other than incidental contact with other racers. (Other than the idiot rammers and punters)

Without my experience in WRS, I would probably be just another one of those guys peeling out in the sand or bashing into the walls.

I would be the first to admit that I have some things to learn about passing strategies and how to effectively maneuver in large packs. But I also am able to perform in Online at a consistently high level and generally finish in the top 3 of any race I enter, unless the punters get the better of me.

So while being a good hotlapper does not automatically make you a better racer, it does give you a solid foundation to take out onto the track. Online is a great enhancement to the GT experience, but for this racer, hotlapping will not end. I intend to use it to continue to develop my skills and become a better overall driver. 👍

I must rather do TT than race online fighting to win a race when the boost is clearly enabled, That 750 pp pro @ suzuka is what you call a joke. All these drivers who think they are good because they can catch up the leader after being 6 seconds behind are in for a very big shock when boost is disabled.

I so agree!(it also sucks when you do have the lead, then the physics suddenly change, along with your brake zone, then you get to see everyone pass you because you're in the litter!):mad:

I must rather do TT than race online fighting to win a race when the boost is clearly enabled, That 750 pp pro @ suzuka is what you call a joke. All these drivers who think they are good because they can catch up the leader after being 6 seconds behind are in for a very big shock when boost is disabled.

Ah, But catching the leader is only 25% of the battle. Now you have to pass the leader with out the help of the boost. J'm not a fan of the boost but it dosnt frighten me either.

b

Better still, get rid of the damn boost. Why should the leader work his nuts off to get the lead in the first place, then be penalised by 5+ seconds (Suzuka 600) per lap so that the rest can catch up!! Absolutely crazy.

Has there been any official confirmation that a boost exists or even any video clearly showing this so-called boost in action?

Yes, I know many claim it exists and many say the proof is that they post faster laps when they are behind and slower laps when they are in front... but that's still only anecdotal evidence.

A video could show that maybe they did make some errors on their "slow" laps, and a video could show that maybe they got some drafting help on their "fast" laps.... both of which I see happening to myself and others all the time.

I ask because after participating in well over a hundred races online, I have yet to experience or witness this mysteries "boost".

I've been in plenty of close races where due to contact behind me, I got a big lead and held on to that lead for the remaining laps. I've been on the other foot more often where I am having a close race with the leaders, but due to an error on my part I fall back, and never am able to bridge much of the lost gap... although the drafting helps a lot... which I personally feel is quite exaggerated in GT5P, but then again, I've never replicated what I have done in GT5P in real life. :)

I guess all I'm saying is it sure would be nice if someone had some concrete proof that such a boost exists, and that they are not simply overlooking many of the other things that might make it seem like there is a boost.

All I know for certain is that if there is a boost in GT5P it must be extremely subtle, and not at all like arcade style boost, as I'm not seeing that kind of shift in performance in the countless numbers of races I've been in compared to even the rubberband AI from GT3.

Oh.. and Private Races = FTW!

Has there been any official confirmation that a boost exists or even any video clearly showing this so-called boost in action?

Yes, I know many claim it exists and many say the proof is that they post faster laps when they are behind and slower laps when they are in front... but that's still only anecdotal evidence.

A video could show that maybe they did make some errors on their "slow" laps, and a video could show that maybe they got some drafting help on their "fast" laps.... both of which I see happening to myself and others all the time.

I ask because after participating in well over a hundred races online, I have yet to experience or witness this mysteries "boost".

I've been in plenty of close races where due to contact behind me, I got a big lead and held on to that lead for the remaining laps. I've been on the other foot more often where I am having a close race with the leaders, but due to an error on my part I fall back, and never am able to bridge much of the lost gap... although the drafting helps a lot... which I personally feel is quite exaggerated in GT5P, but then again, I've never replicated what I have done in GT5P in real life. :)

I guess all I'm saying is it sure would be nice if someone had some concrete proof that such a boost exists, and that they are not simply overlooking many of the other things that might make it seem like there is a boost.

All I know for certain is that if there is a boost in GT5P it must be extremely subtle, and not at all like arcade style boost, as I'm not seeing that kind of shift in performance in the countless numbers of races I've been in compared to even the rubberband AI from GT3.

Oh it exists, and it's not so subtle.

I guess that settles it then. ;)

If you insist upon seeing it for yourself, pick a popular car and race online with it until you find a person you know to be a good driver in the same car. Slow down, and when he comes to lap you, let him go by and watch how much faster you are than him in the same car. You'll have A LOT more grip in the turns and the physics will be a lot more forgiving.

On the contrary hotlapping helps you become a better racer. True once you get on there with other cars you have to practice proper passing. Being a hotlapper will help you identify apexes better, and know where optimal brake points are, and good entrance and exit speeds, which will make you a faster racer, and help you move UP the pack :)

Same goes with Daytona Oval..they just go with a full head of steam and slam the snot out of the wall and back down the track they come, while me and my BNR34, ride the bottom ..LIKE WE ARE SUPPOSED TO!:banghead:

Oops my bad, forgot the period. I know, I know, I have to use good punctuation :dunce: Sorry fellas.

umm, no he wasn't correcting you..lol..he edited it because he put it in the wrong thread so he deleted what he wrote and nothings there except a period..:dopey:

:dunce: Haha, did not realize that at ALL... Probably would have helped if I had read the green writing at the bottom...

On the contrary hotlapping helps you become a better racer. True once you get on there with other cars you have to practice proper passing. Being a hotlapper will help you identify apexes better, and know where optimal brake points are, and good entrance and exit speeds, which will make you a faster racer, and help you move UP the pack :)

Bingo. 👍

Hot-lapping is essentially "practicing with a goal" for me. It helps me identify ideal lines, brake points, individual car limits and handling characteristics, etc. I've put up solid time trial times and plenty of clean online wins thanks to the seat time that hot-lapping provides. This applies to any racing sim, of course.

It's because all the top times are from guys who ran maybe 100-200 laps at the track in the car, and probably crashed it or had major off course excursions 40% of the laps.

so... what? Do you feel you have more right to do fastest laps than them?
I think you should stop crying on the board about the online experience or the hotlappers and use that time to run those 100 laps to any circuit you want.

If you insist upon seeing it for yourself, pick a popular car and race online with it until you find a person you know to be a good driver in the same car. Slow down, and when he comes to lap you, let him go by and watch how much faster you are than him in the same car. You'll have A LOT more grip in the turns and the physics will be a lot more forgiving.

I'm convinced the boost is there - and I've been on both ends of it. Taking a tuned GT round suzuka on or near the grip limit is fine art. One time I got punted into t1 and was 20secs behind by the time I got back on track and into the esses. I hit them at the usual speed but with an inordinate amount of grip, also round dunlop I was into 4th much earlier as a mix of cumulative speed through the esses and much faster acceleration in general.

Another time I was in 1st place, well clear of the pack and found I had no grip or torque in the same section.

I've hotlapped this enough times to rule out driver error (yes I screw up sometimes but not those times)

Thing is rubberband boost has always been in GT but it used to be an option. It was actually quite handy if you were playing against a less skilled friend because it gave them a chance to catch up and kept the race interesting.

I'd just like an option to turn it off or maybe leave it on for standard phys and off for pro.

I'd just like an option to turn it off or maybe leave it on for standard phys and off for pro.

Agreed. 👍

The boost, or whatever you wish to call it, makes a mockery out of Professional Mode.

There is no way you'll be a good racer without proper hotlapping skills.

Catching up, getting a big lead, it's all about hotlapping. The only time you are racing is when you're trying to pass. Drawing a line between hotlapping in a race and racing is impossible to do, they both are present. When you're in first, what do you do? You turn in hotlaps, when you're in 2nd and the guy is 10 seconds ahead, you hotlap to get closer.

I think this debate is somewhat useless as both as part of the overall résumé of a pilot.

I think this debate is somewhat useless as both as part of the overall résumé of a pilot.

Exactly. So, like I said, being a good hotlapper won't make you a good racer, and being a good racer won't make you a good hotlapper.

A combination of both skills is ideal, but they ARE two different skills.

I remember someone saying "The fastest drivers are not those who are fast in the fast lane, but those who know what to do when they're not in the fast lane". Poorly translated from spanish, but you get the idea, right... Right?! LOL

I remember someone saying "The fastest drivers are not those who are fast in the fast lane, but those who know what to do when they're not in the fast lane". Poorly translated from spanish, but you get the idea, right... Right?! LOL

I haven't heard it before, but thats a great quote, and exactly what I'm trying to get across!

I don't remember who said it, maybe I said it myself while I was having a **** or maybe it is an old chinese proverb, who knows. But my thoughts are exactly the same.

This is racing:

Old but good.

The fastest lap of that race was like 2 seconds off of hotlap. When you are racing this close you have to take care of more things rather than just being focused on being plain fast on every corner.

Back