GT6 Framerate depends on which console you have.

• Thread starter xSNAKEx
  • 263 comments
I've got what I think your link (some pages back) calls a Gen 2 60GB PAL, or what most people would call a PS3 FAT. I don't see any problems with the XMB or stuttering in dealerships. I'm playing the game from disc. I have upgraded the hard drive which may help with heating problems. I've never cleaned my PS3 out so I wouldn't be surprised if it was full of dust.

The article linked to about the Cell chip speculates that it's got thermal throttling but we don't know for sure. Judging from what I've heard from it and from other peoples experiences, it just turns up the fan speed when it's hot and eventually cuts out if temperatures continue to rise.

I can say that the fan on my PS3 is noisier when playing some other games which would indicate that GT6 is not being throttled (if that is in fact possible).

Last edited:
I've had the luxury of comparing 4 consoles with GT6 side by side and was surprised at the differences between the lot. It is clear some ps3s are MUCH more capable than others in terms of processing power. I suspect this occurs in all games but is more evident when a game maxes out the hardware like GT6,

All testing was done in 1080p on the same TV. PS3 and game settings were mucked around with but kept the same for comparison purposes for an overall result.

Fat 40GB CECHG04. 90nm GPU, 65nm CPU

Very bad FPS. Stuttering in 3d rendering of cars in garage, gallery and dealerships and the animation when you purchase cars.

Really bad game play FPS unless in bumper cam. A high amount of tearing. On screen smoke and chase view really bog this down, so does distant scenery and lots going on screen. A fair amount of microfreezes in game and coming out of driving options

Slim 120GB CECH 2001a model 45nm CPU 65nm GPU

Very poor performer. Lots of tearing and bad fps. This console is very weak for its time. A big surprise. Almost unplayable unless you turn off HDMI deep color and dynamic range and set gt6 to sharpen image. Lots of microfreezes. For example going off course in a licence test would freeze the car still whilst the grass and smoke effects continued going forward for a few seconds before the continue or retry would pop up.

3002b PS3 Slim 320GB. 40nm GPU and 45nm CPU. (the ones that no longer have disc or wifi lights)

The absolute BEST of of any ps3 version I have seen. No tearing whatsoever and almost no frame rate drops. The only time it ever dropped fps even the slightest is chase cam with lots of debris. etc in was evident moon missions. No framerate loss in cockpit view. Not a single stutter in Gallery mode or the buy car animations etc. No mircofreezes. This consoles performance was consistently smooth as silk.

PS3 Super Slim CECH-4002a. 45nm CPU and 40nm GPU

Almost as good as the 3xxx series PS3 Slims but not quite. FPS is generally good but drops are evident when dust is kicked up, and on some tracks a fair amount of consistent tearing was present. No mircrofreezes.

So to all those complaining about bad frame rates when gt6 came out, you can post here what ps3 version and model you have and your ps3 display settings.

Important note
I can confirm setting GT6 to SHARPEN IMAGE in the video options greatly increases FPS on problem systems. In addition, "XMB" Display Settings, HDMI deep colour and dynamic range to "off" or "limited" eases the rendering burden as well.

EDIT:I have confirmed dthe 3xxx series ps3 slim is in fact a 3002B console. I also completely forgot to mention the microfreezes.[/

I've had the luxury of comparing 4 consoles with GT6 side by side and was surprised at the differences between the lot. It is clear some ps3s are MUCH more capable than others in terms of processing power. I suspect this occurs in all games but is more evident when a game maxes out the hardware like GT6,

All testing was done in 1080p on the same TV. PS3 and game settings were mucked around with but kept the same for comparison purposes for an overall result.

Fat 40GB CECHG04. 90nm GPU, 65nm CPU

Very bad FPS. Stuttering in 3d rendering of cars in garage, gallery and dealerships and the animation when you purchase cars.

Really bad game play FPS unless in bumper cam. A high amount of tearing. On screen smoke and chase view really bog this down, so does distant scenery and lots going on screen. A fair amount of microfreezes in game and coming out of driving options

Slim 120GB CECH 2001a model 45nm CPU 65nm GPU

Very poor performer. Lots of tearing and bad fps. This console is very weak for its time. A big surprise. Almost unplayable unless you turn off HDMI deep color and dynamic range and set gt6 to sharpen image. Lots of microfreezes. For example going off course in a licence test would freeze the car still whilst the grass and smoke effects continued going forward for a few seconds before the continue or retry would pop up.

3002b PS3 Slim 320GB. 40nm GPU and 45nm CPU. (the ones that no longer have disc or wifi lights)

The absolute BEST of of any ps3 version I have seen. No tearing whatsoever and almost no frame rate drops. The only time it ever dropped fps even the slightest is chase cam with lots of debris. etc in was evident moon missions. No framerate loss in cockpit view. Not a single stutter in Gallery mode or the buy car animations etc. No mircofreezes. This consoles performance was consistently smooth as silk.

PS3 Super Slim CECH-4002a. 45nm CPU and 40nm GPU

Almost as good as the 3xxx series PS3 Slims but not quite. FPS is generally good but drops are evident when dust is kicked up, and on some tracks a fair amount of consistent tearing was present. No mircrofreezes.

So to all those complaining about bad frame rates when gt6 came out, you can post here what ps3 version and model you have and your ps3 display settings.

Important note
I can confirm setting GT6 to SHARPEN IMAGE in the video options greatly increases FPS on problem systems. In addition, "XMB" Display Settings, HDMI deep colour and dynamic range to "off" or "limited" eases the rendering burden as well.

EDIT:I have confirmed dthe 3xxx series ps3 slim is in fact a 3002B console. I also completely forgot to mention the microfreezes.

Hi XSNAKEX

Many thanks for your very useful comparison between the various incarnations of the PS3 hardware.

I was having issues with my old FAT 40GB freezing every time on loading one of the kart championships, which was very frustrating.
Based on your findings I went out and bought a 320GB Slim (Game in the UK still have stock of new ones).
The kart championship that was previously giving me grief, now runs fine and I can concur with all of the other performance increases when compared to my old PS3.

If you hadn't have gone to the trouble of making this post, I wouldn't have known how to resolve the issues I was experiencing.

Thanks again.

500GB super slim and it works like an absolute charm! everything is extreemly smooth, but for some reason, at the goodwood festival of speed, very occasionally, when you get DQ'ed, the game micro freezes for about 0.25 of a second!

I have a stock 3001A slim and it runs GT6 real well, no noticeable drops in performance or graphics. It runs GT6 via download version. My original December 2006 Fat is using the disc version of GT6, with a 500GB HDD, and it does appear to suffer a bit in performance compared to my slim. But still playable and enjoyable. And my Fat has never died even with heavy usage throughout my ownership. I got one of the good ones, I guess!

Hi XSNAKEX

Many thanks for your very useful comparison between the various incarnations of the PS3 hardware.

I was having issues with my old FAT 40GB freezing every time on loading one of the kart championships, which was very frustrating.
Based on your findings I went out and bought a 320GB Slim (Game in the UK still have stock of new ones).
The kart championship that was previously giving me grief, now runs fine and I can concur with all of the other performance increases when compared to my old PS3.

If you hadn't have gone to the trouble of making this post, I wouldn't have known how to resolve the issues I was experiencing.

Thanks again.
interesting. i really hate the new top loading slider system on the new ps3. feels cheap. may sell it and get what you suggest. is it this one you got?

http://www.game.co.uk/en/playstatio...arfare-3-including-collections-1-and-2-180073

500GB super slim and it works like an absolute charm! everything is extreemly smooth, but for some reason, at the goodwood festival of speed, very occasionally, when you get DQ'ed, the game micro freezes for about 0.25 of a second!

I wouldn't worry about that. It can be related to the hard drive and these vary based on user control. Try doing a full ps3 system restore.

Sometimes its also related to having your network enabled and logged into psn while playing offline events. For some reason gt6 seems to communicate with the network when you are connected to the internet even when you are doing off-line events and this can cause some micro freezes in menus.

Try disabling your internet connection while playing offline.

The main thing is your ps3 can render the image smoothly and the FPS is smooth with minimal tearing..

For example I couldn't pass the last goodwood challenge with the X1 because the FPS was so low I couldn't control the car. I went to my friends place with the 3002b and golded it in about 4-5 goes ans it takes about that long to get in the mindset anyway.

that is why I don´t get many frame rate drops at 1080p. I always questioned why people complain about the frame rate but I just found my answer

SSDs do not improve frame rates, they do improve load times though.

Not necessarily true. If the game does a lot of streaming from the hard drive to the point where it could become a bottleneck, then faster streaming could help keep the frames flowing. I'm pretty sure I've seen reports of GTAV getting smoother framerates from SSD-equipped systems.

It's doubtful that GT relies heavily on streaming data from the SSD though, since it's not exactly a massive open world game. But I suppose it's possible that they're streaming some data to make room in the RAM for features like adaptive tesselation.

That being said, I still notice slowdown and screen tearing on my SSD-equipped PS3. Screen tearing isn't very common, only occurring on tracks with weather and day/night whenever the screen has a handful of cars on it fairly close to me and some dust or something gets kicked up. Slowdown occurs more commonly, usually whenever a couple cars are close to the camera in the more graphically complex sections of tracks. It's never bad enough to make the game unplayable, but it's definitely noticeable.

Last edited:
Not necessarily true. If the game does a lot of streaming from the hard drive to the point where it could become a bottleneck, then faster streaming could help keep the frames flowing. I'm pretty sure I've seen reports of GTAV getting smoother framerates from SSD-equipped systems.

It's doubtful that GT relies heavily on streaming data from the SSD though, since it's not exactly a massive open world game. But I suppose it's possible that they're streaming some data to make room in the RAM for features like adaptive tesselation.

The car animations in the dealership and when you purchase cars is fully loaded into RAM. the FPS in these areas vary between systems. Its something to do with CPU or GPU processing power.

I always understood that due to the very limited RAM in the PS3, the whole architecture is based on needing to stream data from the bluray (and/or hard drive) since you can't just load all of the textures into that shared 512MB system/video RAM.

In that case, the question is what kind of effect a poorly performing bluray or very slow HDD (due to being fragmented) would have on a game.

My 40GB fat PS3 is running GT6 adequately, with good load times also due to the SSD I put in there. I can use cockpit mode fine, although I don't think it's achieving 60fps solid. Still, it is playable and frame rates are acceptable except when watching replays which kick up dust.

The car animations in the dealership and when you purchase cars is fully loaded into RAM. the FPS in these areas vary between systems. Its something to do with CPU or GPU processing power.

Is there any conclusive proof that the FPS in these situation varies from console to console, or is this just based on feedback from various players?

To me, it just feels like they're dropping the FPS down to 30 during these parts, just like in the replays. Maybe it's just that some people providing feedback are noticing this drop and some people aren't, making it sound like it's dependent on which version of the console they've got.

Is there any conclusive proof that the FPS in these situation varies from console to console, or is this just based on feedback from various players?

To me, it just feels like they're dropping the FPS down to 30 during these parts, just like in the replays. Maybe it's just that some people providing feedback are noticing this drop and some people aren't, making it sound like it's dependent on which version of the console they've got.

There is no controlled study done on on the matter. It is based on user perception.

However the proof is conclusive enough to me because I can see it. I don't know whether its settings or some other factor I haven't considered but something is making the FPS and tearing or stuttering vary between systems to quiete large extents.

I can try record videos for you but the best I have is a camera phone, and its very difficult to determine anything just from that as its not the same as watching the screen directly with your eyes.

I'm not very sure about this, but I felt the frame rates went down when I enabled surround sound in xmb and in game. Using two channel audio, frame rate was no issue. Using fat 40gb.

I'm not very sure about this, but I felt the frame rates went down when I enabled surround sound in xmb and in game. Using two channel audio, frame rate was no issue. Using fat 40gb.

Anything like that is possible. Tell us exactly which settings so we can try replicate it.

Strange. That means you need to disable music too to gain some performance. But I thought PS3 uses whole SPU just for audio so it doesn't matter. Also turning off HUD can boost 1-2 fps.

I always understood that due to the very limited RAM in the PS3, the whole architecture is based on needing to stream data from the bluray (and/or hard drive) since you can't just load all of the textures into that shared 512MB system/video RAM.

If it only were like this...It's even worse - PS3 has 256Mb system RAM and 256Mb of video RAM. Just ugly...

I get the idea of this thread.. It can be helpful (finding some solutions) but stop mixing in people's heads with this "processing power difference between different PS3 versions" theory, because it's pure BS.

Anything like that is possible. Tell us exactly which settings so we can try replicate it.

Actually, I've just finished testing properly and found no difference, sorry about the inaccurate information. I used a Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS surround sound processor connected to optical output on PS3, and connected my Philips Fidelio L1 to the DSS. Using surround gives a better sound experience (with large theater settings). XMB sound settings were set to 5.1 dolby digital surround, and in game the same.

Just got a DSS2 myself, very good bit of kit for the money (it does have some minor sound quality issues, but eh, it almost completely solves my multiple input/output situation).

Anyway, it's comforting that the sound settings don't make a difference, and I can't say I noticed a difference myself when messing with it all recently.

Don't know this seems to me as some kind of placebo effect.
Since changing my old TV set on which I ran an early slim PS3 at 720p. I never experienced any trouble, at least easily ignored, you know the "jaggy" feeling some people have experienced. Other than that it was always smooth.
Recently changed to a TV capable of performing at 1080p. Since the change it seems the game runs even smoother and any noticeable performance problems could be traced back to the old TV.

But then again, mind could be easily tricked into thinking it is better or worse depending on experience.

Tested few of these video options listed on this thread, and after all testing decided to put my SSD boosted CECHLxx fatty to run 720p and get rid of nagging on Bathurst, it solves also sound clipping on Bathurst, what was really annoying.
Waiting GT7 on PS4.. :)

I am running slim 120GB, and TBH I've never noticed anything too glaring until yesterday when I am running the 15 laps race at Brands Hatch when 13 cars decided to pit all at once(why do AI start a dry race on Inters is beyond me). And when that happens I get a few freeze frames. Then back to normal. Then half way through the race I think 8 or 9 of them pitted again and I get the same thing.

I am so happy I found this thread.
I don't know about console differences...
I just know that now (60GB almost-launch PS3) that I selected "sharpen image" in the option menu the cockpit view is very very smooth! Not 60fps-locked, but way way smoother!
Also, since the AA used in GT6 is a low quality AA (very blurry, should be QXAA), the image has now more aliasing but seems a little bit crisper and this is great for gameplay.
"flickering reduction" setting really sucks. Lower framerate also in non-cockpit views and a blurry image.

nope, nope, nope.
I've got a 120gb slim: it never freezed, and even though some frame drops do happen here and there, the game just goes like a miracle for the hardware it's running on, imho

A small bet: Sharpen image is slowing your game speed also, someone who has too much time can check this out with his stopwatch.

It is making game "smoother", but not taking out (many) problems what can be seen on Bathurst track, 720p might be only what solves "all" on Bathurst.

A small bet: Sharpen image is slowing your game speed also, someone who has too much time can check this out with his stopwatch.

It is making game "smoother", but not taking out (many) problems what can be seen on Bathurst track, 720p might be only what solves "all" on Bathurst.
Even at 720p, bathurst looks weird to me.

Back