GT6: How much longer?

• Thread starter cjr3559
  • 44 comments

cjr3559

Premium
United States
Ohio
cjr3559
With the announcement of GT Sport, how much longer will GT6 remain actively supported/live by PD? I'm thinking the plug will be pulled in a year or so.

Last edited:
A year for PD to end support sounds reasonable to me. It's how long the community stretches out the game's life is what matters.

I don't think anybody can quite say at this point, and quite honestly, I'll never understand why they have kill online accessibility for their previous games in the first place. NFS doesn't. COD doesn't. Hopefully making the jump to PS4 will cause PD to keep the online functions accessible after GT Sport's release.

Look at the mass of missing VGT. Take a guess how long it will take for Sony to fill out all the spaces. Or maybe PD will go 'eh... this is a waste of time, we end it now and remove all the blank spots'.

I predict about a few months after the beta's release, like the last update for GT5 before GT6 came out took place a few months after the GT Academy demo for GT6. They may add in more VGTs during this time, and they may even carry the VGT project over to GTS. I do highly doubt though there will be any new features in GT6, like a livery editor or better car sounds, as PD may be saving that for GTS.

I don't think it will be pulled as quickly as GT5 was, because both games were on the same console, so maybe they'll give people more time to transition to PS4. On the other hand, maybe they'll shut GT6 down online even quicker to force more PS4 sales when the next GT title hits the PS4.

A few months after release is possible. Support for GT6 was already getting less and less. I give it at least another 8 to 10 months before GT6 is shut down completely.

They will probably release the remaining VGTs over the course of next year, release GT7 late 2016/early 2017 and pull the plug on GT6 online soon after (my guess is March 2017).

Also this means we only have 1 year and a bit to enjoy our course maker tracks :banghead:

They will probably release the remaining VGTs over the course of next year, release GT7 late 2016/early 2017 and pull the plug on GT6 online soon after (my guess is March 2017).

Also this means we only have 1 year and a bit to enjoy our course maker tracks :banghead:

Judging by PD's patterns, I would have to say the same.

With the announcement of GT Sport, how much longer will GT6 remain actively supported/live by PD? I'm thinking the plug will be pulled in a year or so.
You might be right, especially since we haven't had a VGT in months and they lengthened the seasonal events.

Depends what you mean by support? I'd be willing to be the last update was the final one, so that would just leave you with the seasonals for a few more months and the online switch on in general, probably until the full new game launches.

Depends what you mean by support? I'd be willing to be the last update was the final one, so that would just leave you with the seasonals for a few more months and the online switch on in general, probably until the full new game launches.

I was thinking in terms of online services (Seasonals, open lobby, login bonus, etc). Agreed that 1.21 is probably the last featured update except for more VGTs.

I'm not sure about this...
Closing GT5's online capabilities to force us to buy GT6 I sort of get as its on the same console, but killing off GT6 to force us to buy a PS4 & GTS oooooohhh that would be a nasty thing to do.
I know the PS3 is old but far too many people still own 1, if not 2 or 3.
But then again it seems to be the way of the world nowadays.

I'm not sure about this...
Closing GT5's online capabilities to force us to buy GT6 I sort of get as its on the same console, but killing off GT6 to force us to buy a PS4 & GTS oooooohhh that would be a nasty thing to do.
I know the PS3 is old but far too many people still own 1, if not 2 or 3.
But then again it seems to be the way of the world nowadays.

I don't know, maybe Sony assumes everyone already has a PS4 and are chomping at the bit to get a GT released no matter what it is (prologue or not).

Either way I'd be kinda bummed if they shut down the servers quickly. I may be one of the few remaining people that doesn't have PS4 yet.

A year or . . . so? :)
Well, that depends how long 'so' is.

Less than 2 years?

In that case I would agree with your prediction; from a present-moment POV it seems plausible.
But the market changes - 'stuff happens' - we lost GT5 online support sooner than most players expected.
We have to ask ourselves - why would Sony want to pull the plug? Why would they want to lose the available players on PS3? How would they confidently offset that loss across their online player-base?
Marketwise, Sony shouldn't care what you like to play as long as you are logged in and playing something.
Could they maintain both platforms online successfully (for GT-related activities) even after the next full iteration of Gran Turismo came out?
This would then point to resources - if they have the resources, they will maintain online support for the game if it remains popular.
It would be counter-productive for them to expend resources on a dying game than throw it at a new game they are trying to push.

So what I'm seeing is this:
GT SPORTS becomes an app that is predominantly Online - think GT Academy-level guys racing each other for the whole world to see and cheer on - whether rooting for manufacturer or country.
In effect it would be like buying GT Academy on a separate disc, but with a whole eSports tang to it that allows real people to play and race virtually and be rewarded side by side with real world racers at the end of all championships.
eSports is a huge market - and Sony obviously thinks racing, and race-spectating, is a huge and unexplored slice - and they are getting into it, and they are getting into it with solid experience at running online tournaments of this sort.

How much fun would it be to watch a bunch of our GT Academy athletes actually racing each other on TV? That will come - and ESPN is probably nose-deep in it already.

There will also be all sorts of 'plug and play' modes to go into for those who just like to use it for events online, so it would cater to all ages - but it would be predominantly an eSports-influenced app.
This will be no challenge to GT6 on PS3 for some time - as GT6 and its present online lobby system, as well as Seasonals, are still popular. It could be quite possible that GT6 continues to be boosted even after the Beta of GTSPORTS goes online - so that what is missing or 'expected' in GTSPORTS is filled into GT6.

Then along will come what may formally be called 'GT 7'. It is 6 months after this that GT6 support may be closed - unless there is still a huge market for the online GT6 game, and I would doubt it would have that hold on the players after GTSPORTS is in full swing, and GT7 comes out with its PS4 bells and whistles.

We have to ask ourselves - why would Sony want to pull the plug? Why would they want to lose the available players on PS3?

Maybe because PS3 is dead hardware and Sony are looking to drive more PS4 sales with a new GT game? People are still waiting for the absolute "killer app" on PS4.

Maybe because PS3 is dead hardware and Sony are looking to drive more PS4 sales with a new GT game?

How dead is the PS3 for you?

How will selling additional units of new hardware balance their bottomline?
Will the people who are using PS3s give them up automatically they buy a PS4?

Some statistics might answer your question. :)

Maybe because PS3 is dead hardware and Sony are looking to drive more PS4 sales with a new GT game? People are still waiting for the absolute "killer app" on PS4.
My thinking as well, but I don't think GTSport is the game that will shut down the GT6 servers. It'll be the full release of GT7 + 6 months would be my guess.

I think that it means the opposite. The tracks are separate entities, and they are created by an interface outside of the game, and stored away from you PS3. All the game needs is a 'reader' to be able to play the files, so all PD needs to do, is carry that over to GTS/GT7. By detaching the Course maker as much as possible from GT6 and the PS3, they've made it easier to carry it over to the next game and generation of consoles.

Not that I'm saying they will - but they have made it as easy as possible for themselves. The worry would be that with the FIA Sport element requiring the tracks to be FIA 'certified', they might not be utilised very well in GTS. It really depends how much the skinny down GTS, if they do alot, I can see them leaving GT6 open until GT7 arrives.

I have little doubt GT6 will be supported well beyond GT Sport.

At this stage we know of a GT Sport beta for 'early' or 'Spring' 2016.
We have a response from Jim Ryan suggesting GT Sport will be ready 'in 2016'

They won't kill GT6 'support' before that.
So that's almost without question at least 12 months away.

Add to that the 'end of the PS3 era', and you can add additional time.

Now, what 'support' means is up for question.
Keeping online alive, sure.
Adding cars , probably.
Adding features, doubtful. (what's left to add anyway?)

At this point, they need to release a statement on how long it will be. Being in "limbo" and not knowing, especially while I know I can't afford a PS4 is ridiculous. For once, PD needs to give a simple answer instead of stringing people along and tell us what more to expect from GT6. I will get a PS4 in time, but I have more important things to use my money on first.

If they pull the plug of Online, they should at least give us more Career races (DTM and the other nostalgic ones), Rally races and REAL endurance races.
And also let us modify arcade races how we want to. (Choosable Opponent cars, Tire wear and fuel consumtion and more possibilities to adjust the difficulty Level)

Unlike GT5, I could see GT6's servers staying up well into GTSport's lifespan, as it's the last supported game they'd have on the old platform. It's not uncommon for online game series that go cross-platform. I don't see much more additional content or updates coming to GT6, as PD would want all attention going to their new product. However, PD has made some bizarre decisions before, but I still stick with this prediction.

I think GT6 won't be killed of that fast as GTS does not seem to be a 'traditional' GT.

I hope so at least, as I decided to get a PC instead of a PS4 because I don't like to pay for online gaming and I can't find a racing game for PC that's nearly as good as GT.

Back