GT6: Livery Editor: Ideas?

GT won't get a livery editor until Kaz is completely satisfied with it. Due to the fact that he's a perfectionist, expect us to wait forever.

I would be happy with an editor which lets me choose colors freely, put some decals on the cars, add a racing number and that's it. At least for some months.

Better get something like that than getting nothing because it's not perfect yet.

That's about all I'm expecting. 👍

GT won't get a livery editor until Kaz is completely satisfied with it. Due to the fact that he's a perfectionist, expect us to wait forever.

I would be happy with an editor which lets me choose colors freely, put some decals on the cars, add a racing number and that's it. At least for some months.

Better get something like that than getting nothing because it's not perfect yet.

"Kaz is a perfectionist" really is the biggest fallacy constantly posted around here. GT5 is not the product of a perfectionist and it doesn't look like GT6 is either.

Kaz is a perfectionist? Did you play GT5?:sly:

Kaz is a perfectionist? Did you play GT5?:sly:

You could easily tell that it bothered him that Sony rushed him into releasing GT5 when they did.

If it were up to him, I have no doubt that he would have taken another few years to release it in an almost-perfect state.

Something else constantly posted but never proven, Sony forced them to release it. Did they also force them to include PS2 assets? Because a perfectionist wouldn't include them.

Don't be silly. The rest of the game isn't up to perfectionist standards. Why should the livery editor be any different. You won't get an editor anyway

Edit to say we both said the same thing really lol.

I got a bad feeling that Kaz will somehow out-do himself and create the worst paint chip system that somehow will be combined with a terribly developed and tragically basic design mode.

Got any proof of that?

It's in the definition of the word perfectionist. A perfectionist is a person who strives for or demands the highest standards of excellence. A person who puts lower quality assets into a game is neither striving for nor demanding the highest standards of excellence.

As far a perfectionism is also a psychological trait, you could argue that Kaz is a perfectionist in that he strives for perfection, but he's just not achieving it. That might be technically correct, but most normal people would not then describe him as a perfectionist.

Something else constantly posted but never proven, Sony forced them to release it. Did they also force them to include PS2 assets? Because a perfectionist wouldn't include them.

Right, I don't understand this whole thing with people thinking they know exactly how things are operating behind the scenes, whether it's Kaz's level of perfectionism or politics in the gaming industry.

Ok, but I don't get why you should use words like "rip off" "blatant" "horrific" on FCC/SCC livery editor. It wasn't a superb one but at least it was something. Look at the images posted above, clean looking race cars as a final result. That is a lot in my book. Did they copy Turn 10? Yes! And they had very good reasons for it. Turn 10 had a brilliant idea that helped them to gain market shares on racing games business. Let's think about Forza without a livery editor, I can't imagine the same success, not by a long shot.

Well, it was a rip-off and pretty blatant one :) It was literally the same system amd I found it very funny because they managed to release 2 games with the same basically "stolen" system :)

But I only find it funny, I am happy FCC/SCC had Livery Editor and despite it was not smooth as Forzas' in advanced functionalities, it was great to have it.

When I said "horrific fonts", I literally mean it. Forza (and fcc/scc with its ripoff) uses some of the uglies default font sets imaginable. I know all types of letters csn be created wigh layers and edit process, but much work would be saved if they would have opt for some better and nicer fonts in default font libraries - as well as give more fonts as option because creating letters takes much time that could be better used elsewhere IMO

Right, I don't understand this whole thing with people thinking they know exactly how things are operating behind the scenes, whether it's Kaz's level of perfectionism or politics in the gaming industry.

You don't have to look behind the scenes, you only need look at GT5 and the scant information we've received about GT6 so far. We're looking at results and they speak for themselves.

Well, it was a rip-off and pretty blatant one :) It was literally the same system amd I found it very funny because they managed to release 2 games with the same basically "stolen" system :)
The two games are so similar, I've often wondered if there wasn't some collaboration going on between T10 and Eutechnyx. The racing has a quite similar feel. So much so that I referred to FC as "that other game" on PS3.

They both do a save at the start, which very few games do. GT5 does it as well, but that seems to be some of that "linking with home base" thing to collect data on us that slows the game down when you're online in any mode. It might possibly explain Forza's start-save too, but Ferrari Challenge? Doubtful.

And I have to agree with amar about the fonts, very basic, limited choices, even after three Forza's. Which is strange, given how powerful it is otherwise. Isn't the parent company Microsoft? I know it's not a word processor, but seriously. ;)

In any case, I wouldn't be thrilled stupid over FC/SCC's Livery Editor, since some of the things you can do with Forza's will be featured in a "class project" I'm working on with Jordan's blessing. Sure, I'll be somewhat pleased with something that basic. But if they give us the tools to design logos, decals and league number plaques with everything else, not to forget FC's car number on windshield - name too, hopefully - I'll be a much happier car artist.

"Kaz is a perfectionist" really is the biggest fallacy constantly posted around here. GT5 is not the product of a perfectionist and it doesn't look like GT6 is either.

True dat. Every single word.

It's in the definition of the word perfectionist. A perfectionist is a person who strives for or demands the highest standards of excellence. A person who puts lower quality assets into a game is neither striving for nor demanding the highest standards of excellence.

As far a perfectionism is also a psychological trait, you could argue that Kaz is a perfectionist in that he strives for perfection, but he's just not achieving it. That might be technically correct, but most normal people would not then describe him as a perfectionist.

Even a "perfectionist" knows perfection isn't actually achievable, in fact they probably know this better than most.
If Kaz, through PD, really did try to attain perfection on everything before showing it, he'd never show anything. Pragmatism usually overrules; compromise dominates everything. Kind of ironic that the key to "perfection" (viewed through a narrow window) is compromise (in everything that isn't visible through that window).

Now, if we imagine that a low car count, and with it a low variety (excluding duplicates, which don't really dampen that variety as much as people like to make out, annoying though they are), constitutes a less than "excellent" experience in that particular dimension of the whole package, surely the sensible thing to do might be to add more variety in some way?
Sure, the Standards don't look as nice, but it's a compromise. As someone who lamented the loss of variety in GT3, and openly wished for the GT2 cars to be included as legacy assets (as I'd seen done in other, unrelated games before), I see the Standards in GT5 in a different light to most.

Finally, "perfectionism" can be defined any way you want, since it's entirely dependent on the individual's goals - what balance of compromises allows them to be satisfied with the particular degree of imperfection they've created; what the focus of their perfectionism actually is, and how that manifests itself psychologically. I say that as something of a perfectionist myself, knowing that nothing I've ever produced has been close to "perfect". I can always try again, though.

Something tells me your "definition" of "perfectionism" is broken; try a different window. Interestingly, I've usually only seen it used in a mildly pejorative sense, especially when used to describe me...

Yeah I was just gonna say,what is perfection?
Perfection is someone's idea of what is perfect,but what's perfect?
There's no right or wrong answer to what perfection is,just opinion.
Forza 5 's car models or graphics might be perfect to some people but not to others.
That's my view of it anyway,I don't think there's such thing as perfection in a right or wrong sense but in a sense that suits an individual person.

...if we imagine that a low car count, and with it a low variety (excluding duplicates, which don't really dampen that variety as much as people like to make out, annoying though they are), constitutes a less than "excellent" experience in that particular dimension of the whole package, surely the sensible thing to do might be to add more variety in some way?

Sure, the Standards don't look as nice, but it's a compromise. As someone who lamented the loss of variety in GT3, and openly wished for the GT2 cars to be included as legacy assets (as I'd seen done in other, unrelated games before), I see the Standards in GT5 in a different light to most.
+ google.

GT3 contrast is, dare I say it, perfect. :D A number of people bring it up as the ideal model of what Kaz should have done in GT5, a similarly bold leap in technical innovation on a hard-to-develop-for next gen system, and PD's biggest seller to date. "GT5 should have been a much smaller, more focused quantum step like that, not the daring quantum leap which clearly fell flat." I wish I could fall so flat. ;)

Except they ignore a lot of lamenting that went on at the time. I was unaware of GT Planet back then, but I did catch posts at gaming mag sites which offered forums. A whole lot of people kept their PS1s handy, or in my case, Bleemcast, to enjoy the sheer depth of gameplay, features and that godly car lot. There was a lot of lamenting going on over GT3. Fewer cars by far. Lots of event recycling. No cool used cars with different performance levels to discover. No Race Mod. Missing, much loved tracks. Fewer cars by far... yeah, that was the most stated lament.

We were so utterly starved for the sequel that there were conniptions over every GT4 delay. It didn't help that the pics and videos made GT4 look like our dream Gran Turismo, so when Christmas 2004 went by, we were pretty despondent. And many of us were shocked when some still sang the praises of GT3 after GT4 was finally released that February in the west. I'm still hard pressed to remember just what was so alluring about that lesser game, in every respect.

This is a different day to be sure. The GT5 love/hate divide is pretty stark, and it's even there regarding GT6 to my astonishment. But I'm still dubious of how many are stubbornly clinging to resentment over GT5 that they'd just as soon quit the series, or wait out for a PS4 Gran Turismo. This game is being compared to both Drive Club and the sweet looking Forza 5 on systems that almost make the PS3 look like an old Commodore computer. Improved in almost every respect, if not all, on technically obsolete hardware! This is just crazy.

But what I think is crazier is all the prejudgment over a game they haven't touched, nor will anyone till just shortly before December. They want hard facts to chew on, details about their pet peeves being remedied, from sucky sounds to a Livery Editor that should be "technically possible." Some of us like Griffith500, TokoTurismo, another_jackhole and myself among many others, have faith that those unrevealed improvements are going to be there in abundance. Some see Kaz's perfectionism bringing another stumble. We see what amazing feats have been accomplished, the result of perfectionism properly applied, and trust that it's just the tip of a glorious iceberg. Some of you feel Titanicked, the rest of us see a scenic ocean voyage ahead of us that's fun to navigate. As with all things GT, we'll see, and in just a few weeks. ;)

This game NEEDS (yes I said NEEDS) a livery editor. There are plenty of issues still, but the livery editor is the biggest one. it really comes to something when Juiced has more options than GT on something. Juiced was fun though.

Anyhow For all those whinging about not wanting/needing it, you clearly don't have a creative bone in your body. On Forza I had made tons of designs on cars and such on, and as I would spend time and dedication, I've only just recently got to level 40 (And I had Fofza 4 since release day!) I own both consoles, but I find myself lured to Forza for that aspect. Individuality is what we seek. If you don't want Brians Skyline from 2F2F, or the Bugatti Veyron police car from Need For Speed Hot Pursuit, or hell even the BMW M3 from the Top Gear 24 Hour Le Mans challenge, then don't bother, but you can't stare at 95% of people who are BEGGING for this that it's pointless. You are pointless.

I'm a pointless human because I don't NEED a livery editor? I hope you enjoyed your time at gtplanet.

I'm a pointless human because I don't NEED a livery editor? I hope you enjoyed your time at gtplanet.
Glad you can admit that.
And you trying to threaten me? for freedom of speech? Oh my god! Please don't! I'm begging you! .....

What a crock. Why don;t you stick to games your own age, you know like that disney princess one for ps2? Or how about Nintendogs?

Yeah what is the point in changing the outside of the car. Wouldnt it be much easier if we all just had the same looking car with differant stats since we dont have to see what it looks like. Just a blob of aerodynamic steel. And you can have it in any color as long as its black. And forget about track backgrounds. What? Thats a stupid idea you say. If you dont want a livery editor its simple. Just dont use it. Let the other 99% of players who have been clammering for it be happy. I myself don't really like drifting. That doesnt mean I'm gonna complain about its inclusion in the game. I can always skip those events. I'm glad the GT series has that something for everyone

Glad you can admit that.
And you trying to threaten me? for freedom of speech? Oh my god! Please don't! I'm begging you! .....

What a crock. Why don;t you stick to games your own age, you know like that disney princess one for ps2? Or how about Nintendogs?

There is no freedom of speech here, it's a private forum with it's very own set of rules called the AUP, that you acknowledged when you joined here. The AUP has rules about being abusive, harassing etc. You might want to re-read it.

Back