GT6 Official Car List Impressions/Thoughts

• Thread starter Prototyp3
  • 987 comments
35 people working 5 days = 175 man days = 1 car

A single car would still take 6 months, but on average they'll be kicking out a finished car every 5 days..sorry for the confusion.

Yes, but people are using that "6 months man hours" excuse to justify why X favourite car of theirs didn't make it onto the list. That was my point.

35 people working 5 days = 175 man days = 1 car
Yes, but people are using that "6 months man hours" excuse to justify why X favourite car of theirs didn't make it onto the list. That was my point.
Well you should have said that then:cheers:. The limitation on car creation is self imposed by PD it's true. With their current structure you'll only see about 70 new cars per year. Why they choose to model what they do is all in Kaz's head.

Lol, six months. It would be stressful and inefficient if each person only worked on one car alone. Anyway, has PD ever released a video showing exactly how they go about work in their studio yet?

I really hope the car sounds change. O really like engine sounds and... admittedly I love revving my jeep 4.0 Straight 6 with a flowmaster just to hear it! want that in my house in a video game!!!!!

Lol, six months. It would be stressful and inefficient if each person only worked on one car alone. Anyway, has PD ever released a video showing exactly how they go about work in their studio yet?

It really speaks of the strange decisions PD is known for when that very cool garage setting for the tuner cars in GT5's main menu is off-limit to Photomoders. All that work, for one short video on a splash page people will barely spend any time on :(

Some of the new cars would look great there; give us the ability, PD!

Thanks for the vid. I believe I've seen it before, so I didn't learn much. The 2007 Behind The Apex video showed a bit more info. I guess you were right in that they wouldn't give an in-depth tour.

Last edited:
Well you should have said that then:cheers:. The limitation on car creation is self imposed by PD it's true. With their current structure you'll only see about 70 new cars per year. Why they choose to model what they do is all in Kaz's head.

Sorry, Helen. Will get to the point sooner next time.

And 70 cars per year is is more than satisfactory in my eyes, due to the level of detail that they've been putting into the more recent cars.

Sorry, Helen. Will get to the point sooner next time.

And 70 cars per year is is more than satisfactory in my eyes, due to the level of detail that they've been putting into the more recent cars.

If GT7 drops in 2015 (my guess) it means they've got a real dilemma on their hands. Given what we know they can make 140 cars in that time give or take. All the current premiums will be in and one would assume standards out. All the future DLC will be in. A few more standards will have to be brought up to Premium status one would assume. That doesn't leave a lot of modeling time for purely new cars for GT7. Pure speculation but it could look like this:

GT6 - 50 DLC cars + 30 standards brought up to Premium for GT7 leaves them with the ability to model 60 brand new cars for GT7. You think you've heard whining about GT5/6?:banghead:

Kaz said that 60% of their effort went into the cars for GT5. That's not 35 people. Either Famine has an old figure, or PD has a lot of people not contributing directly to the game.

Indeed, the long ending credits have 48 car modelers and 5 modeling "directors".
There are 27 "landscape designers".
A quick scan of the names didn't immediately suggest any overlap there, either.

So really, taking a figure of 50 modelers, it's more like a car every 3.7 days, or just over 40% higher throughput. That's just over 100 cars per year.
Something else has soaked up some of that productivity, because we don't have 300 extra Premium cars since GT5 launched.

EDIT: If I were to pull a figure out of my arse, it would be that a Premium without an interior takes half as long as as one with. Would that mean that 200 cars have been externally Premiumificated?

Kaz said that 60% of their effort went into the cars for GT5. That's not 35 people. Either Famine has an old figure, or PD has a lot of people not contributing directly to the game.

Indeed, the long ending credits have 48 car modelers and 5 modeling "directors".

So really, taking a figure of 50 modelers, it's more like a car every 3.7 days, or just over 40% higher throughput. That's just over 100 cars per year.
Something else has soaked up some of that productivity, because we don't have 300 extra Premium cars since GT5 launched.

EDIT: If I were to pull a figure out of my arse, it would be that a Premium without an interior takes half as long as as one with. Would that mean that 200 cars have been externally Premiumificated?

I can only think that the reason why we're missing out on those extra cars that could potentially have been modeled for GT6 could have something to do with licensing. But then that's something that I don't know a lot about, but if someone has a better idea then please shoot me down.

PD did move their HQ. That likely caused delays. 100 or so cars after 3 years is too low under normal circumstances

Maybe I'm being a bit picky but I would love to see a few more Jeeps and SUVs in the game. The Suzuki Grand Vitara etc

Okay, fair enough but even at 200 cars in two years it still leaves a dilemma if GT7 drops in two years. With the assumed 50 DLC and only 30 current standards remodeled from the ground up, that leaves only enough room for 120 new cars and that's assuming nothing needs to be done to current premiums. A few hiccups here and there or more DLC or standard remodels, and it could easily drop to less than 100 without added staff.

I'm not arguing for or against more or less staff, and I'm not bothered by the rate of DLC release - it's just nickle and diming, no matter how much or little of it there is (although I'll lap it up like the little hypocrite I am, because must have). And I'm not expecting DLC to continue much beyond 1 year. But I could easily be wrong.

Still, it doesn't explain why we're only getting approx. 150 new(ly modeled) cars for 3 years' work. That's half their potential output if the numbers are as simple as I presented them (not a given, clearly.) Again, where has that effort gone? What are the flaws in our assumptions?

Perhaps we don't have long to wait for answers, but still...

I'm not arguing for or against more or less staff, and I'm not bothered by the rate of DLC release - it's just nickle and diming, no matter how much or little of it there is (although I'll lap it up like the little hypocrite I am, because must have). And I'm not expecting DLC to continue much beyond 1 year. But I could easily be wrong.

Still, it doesn't explain why we're only getting approx. 150 new(ly modeled) cars for 3 years' work. That's half their potential output if the numbers are as simple as I presented them (not a given, clearly.) Again, where has that effort gone? What are the flaws in our assumptions?

Perhaps we don't have long to wait for answers, but still...

Here are several potential flaws:
1. 6 months to make a car. Is that calender months assuming 5 day weeks, 6 days week or 180 straight days of work? That could throw us off by quite a bit depending on how it shakes out.
2. Not sure of the count, but they did release DLC for GT5 so that's part of it.
3. We're assuming all modelers count as an equal contribution. It's possible some of them aren't fully contributing because they are not creating cars but possibly interns or trainees, or maybe they are doing experimental work and not working on finished product.
4. Some of them may have been working on DLC already and not on cars included at release.

More than enough wiggle room there to figure it all out if we had more concrete information. :cheers:

Don't forget they could also be spending time working on those GT Vision cars that Kaz had said we would receive on a monthly basis... I think?

It's nice to see a lot of Shelbys in the game. They even included SRT's tribute car the 2013 SRT Viper Launch Edition. The LE is the blue with white stripes version. Blue and white stripes being the signature Shelby scheme. And Carol did help create the original Viper. So a nice little respective nod by PD to include it in GT6 along with several other Shelby cars.

Speaking of SRT, anything with SRT in the name is property of SRT. It doesn't matter what year it was released. The Viper is also owned by SRT. Dodge does own the Challenger and Charger names, but it's SRT who owns the SRT versions. Just like the own the Crossifre SRT6, Ram SRT10 and Neon SRT4. They will also own the Dart SRT4 and Journey SRT6. And the Cuda and new SRT truck will also be theirs.

It's nice to see a lot of Shelbys in the game. They even included SRT's tribute car the 2013 SRT Viper Launch Edition. The LE is the blue with white stripes version. Blue and white stripes being the signature Shelby scheme. And Carol did help create the original Viper. So a nice little respective nod by PD to include it in GT6 along with several other Shelby cars.
Is there any performance difference? Most say its just a dumb dupe

I love the rims on SRT Viper Launch Edition. I'm so glad that PD has included that model as well as the GTS. :bowdown:

Is there any performance difference? Most say its just a dumb dupe

I don't think there was a performance difference, and I believe the Launch Edition was announced last minute a couple months before the vehicle launched, and was mainly a tribute car for Carol Shelby.

srt-viper-gts-launch_1600x0w.jpg

The color was also a 20th Anniversary thing, but there's no denying that Carol Shelby's death contributed to the color choice.

Back