GT6 The real forza emulator.

• Thread starter hairystig
  • 146 comments

Do you want Gran Turismo to become a clone of forza?

• Yes

Votes: 24 12.9%
  • No

Votes: 162 87.1%

• Total voters
Race team creator?

That's one of them so far. Got anymore? :) This thread below my comment is a perfect example that features a whole bunch of stuff for GT6.

Hope your idea is in it, because it's one of the perfect ideas for working with your friends for team races and endurance races online. :D

Tire blowout, engine stress/breakdown, other types of failure, wheels that could come off, Autox/gymkhana mode, realistic seasons/weather system ( winter, fall, summer, autumn ).

Imagine those features! 👍

Last edited:
That would do much more for PD. A feature that other racing don't have. But what will that be I ask?

Well, expanding the creative element is what I'd like to see for example, be it a course creator tool which offers more possibilities to create a truly unique track (including the scenery), much like the ModNationRacers one, or extending that aspect towards the cars.
Perhaps a full car design tool is far too complex but maybe more aimed towards designing aftermarket parts like bodykits/spoilers (or change the lights, etc.) or being able to alter existing ones, finetuning them to your personal taste.

I know that'll sound to many as NFS and not entirely new but maybe a more subtle approach within certain limitations could work within the context of GT.
Maybe a logo-editor where you can design your own logos and apply it to your creation and the ability to change the cars name (only possible when a car is modified/customized), I think many tuners in the tuning section would love to offer their cars with their own name and logo, much like Brabus or Alpina (although licensing may prevent that, perhaps an additional name might be possible).

How about an engineering mode where you could design complete engines or have to figure out yourself how to stiffen or alter an existing chassis instead of the default option in GT-Auto?

As for a livery editor, why not extend that to suits and helmets as well, no need to browse through an endless supply of different coloured gear when you can create your own (based on a few default options) with your own name on it or whatever.

Is that enough for now? ;)

To be honest, some of those ideas might be trivial and right now I'll just settle for a livery editor, as that feature alone would take a lot of my time.
Who cares if it's already in Forza? So are cars and tracks.

TBH Forza was inspired by GT. they just copied the template, added some extra's and kept it consistent.

GT just needs focus, and consistency to produce a complete package.

Edit, well I say JUST, it's a lot of work really I suppose. Especially if they want to keep car count etc.

Well, expanding the creative element is what I'd like to see for example, be it a course creator tool which offers more possibilities to create a truly unique track (including the scenery), much like the ModNationRacers one, or extending that aspect towards the cars.
Perhaps a full car design tool is far too complex but maybe more aimed towards designing aftermarket parts like bodykits/spoilers (or change the lights, etc.) or being able to alter existing ones, finetuning them to your personal taste.

I know that'll sound to many as NFS and not entirely new but maybe a more subtle approach within certain limitations could work within the context of GT.
Maybe a logo-editor where you can design your own logos and apply it to your creation and the ability to change the cars name (only possible when a car is modified/customized), I think many tuners in the tuning section would love to offer their cars with their own name and logo, much like Brabus or Alpina (although licensing may prevent that, perhaps an additional name might be possible).

How about an engineering mode where you could design complete engines or have to figure out yourself how to stiffen or alter an existing chassis instead of the default option in GT-Auto?

As for a livery editor, why not extend that to suits and helmets as well, no need to browse through an endless supply of different coloured gear when you can create your own (based on a few default options) with your own name on it or whatever.

To be honest, some of those ideas might be trivial and right now I'll just settle for a livery editor, as that feature alone would take a lot of my time.

I've always love creating tracks in Modnation Racers, it felt so artistic. Like the idea where you said we can create our own personal cars and engines, but that would take some time to make into the game. :)

I'll settle for the livery editor and the track maker for some improvement. If GT6 does get the track maker right, there won't need to have a free roam mode added, because having creations made will inspire thousands across the globe to make more and adore more, including the livery editor designing avatars and cars which will also inspire everone to keep making. 👍

👍 Yep. And a new A-Spec mode where you can feel that you are actually racing like in real life. The images in the blocks of the A-B Spec mode are great, but I need more events like the Formula GT ones and so.
More like a championship I think.

TokoTurismo, I remember when Kaz said, the original course maker we made was too complex to the users, because of the options and all. I WANT THAT KAZ! I really do.

Spagetti69, you have a point.

TBH Forza was inspired by GT. they just copied the template, added some extra's and kept it consistent.

There was a time when I wondered how you'd get out of bed each morning being a Forza programmer, since all it seemed to be was building a GT-clone for the X-Box, but now they seem to have found their own ground and approach to things and it seems to contain the same sort of passion (even though I hate that overused word) or enthusiasm for car culture, or maybe I've only recently noticed that.

GT just needs focus, and consistency to produce a complete package.

Edit, well I say JUST, it's a lot of work really I suppose. Especially if they want to keep car count etc.

Yeah, even though I tend to request a lot of additional stuff and am openminded for it to explore new directions, the main thing GT needs now is focus, at least there should be a solid well thought out core which GT5 seems to lack.
I'd prefer they had chosen the GT3 approach for GT5 but it seems they didn't dare to take that risk.

I just want GT6 to be a "racing" game instead of a "driving" game.

Total opposite here, I want a simulation that allowes me to simulate driving a car. If it was reduced to racing only it would probably bore me really quick. There is much more to a car than tune it up from 600 bhp to 1200 bhp and try to find the best setup so you can still control that, or trying to prove your skills in competition, I'm not saying this wasn't fun I love racing. But there have to be more possibilities than that.

Trying to simulate every aspect of driving a car, from the way you handle a 100bhp in traffic up until racing tricky '70 Formula race cars or '80s group B rally monsters... That's what this franchise has ever been about and what I wish to be improved in the next title. Knowing that is what they want to achieve aswell I'm in no worries GT could ever become a game that is focused entirely on racing.

Flaco13
Total opposite here, I want a simulation that allowes me to simulate driving a car. If it was reduced to racing only it would probably bore me really quick. There is much more to a car than tune it up from 600 bhp to 1200 bhp and try to find the best setup so you can still control that, or trying to prove your skills in competition, I'm not saying this wasn't fun I love racing. But there have to be more possibilities than that.

Trying to simulate every aspect of driving a car, from the way you handle a 100bhp in traffic up until racing tricky '70 Formula race cars or '80s group B rally monsters... That's what this franchise has ever been about and what I wish to be improved in the next title. Knowing that is what they want to achieve aswell I'm in no worries GT could ever become a game that is focused entirely on racing.

I never said that I want only the fastest race cars. You can "drive" 43hp grocery karts for all I care, I just want to race against other 43hp grocery karts on equal grounds, instead of spending two laps trying to catch the 21hp grocery kart that started 29 seconds ahead of me. That is not racing, it's just a time trial.

Who says a racing game can only contain 1000+bhp cars? You race cars no matter how fast they are. I also don't ever remember driving cars through traffic in gran turismo.

I never said that I want only the fastest race cars. You can "drive" 43hp grocery karts for all I care, I just want to race against other 43hp grocery karts on equal grounds, instead of spending two laps trying to catch the 21hp grocery kart that started 29 seconds ahead of me. That is not racing, it's just a time trial.

It wasn't clear to me you was refering to the 'chase the rabbit seasonals', I agree on this issue and recommend you to try a race in arcade mode since they are way more challenging and fun.

That leads to my biggest request (well right after improved physics and sounds) a real Race/event creator is a must this time, PD.

That is one thing where Forza is miles ahead where you can implement AI and choose their cars in a lobby. If PD did that and lets me choose the AI cars from my garage with my tunes and setups I would preorder GT6 as soon as its possible.

Who says a racing game can only contain 1000+bhp cars? You race cars no matter how fast they are. I also don't ever remember driving cars through traffic in gran turismo.
Did you even read my post right?

There needs to be more than just simple racing. Clearly, GT6 will (or hope they will) include some components that Forza has such as AutoCross and multi-class racing, which I think is a nice change of scenery.

.....Why would they need to?
jackie-chan-meme_reasonably_small.png

GT5 always felt like a half finish game. Alot of half baked idea that never really fully developed. The over all experience I got is GT5 is just one huge beta test bed for hopefully a "complete" and fully thoughtout GT6.

Those who say that haven't been here from the beginning. I do agree that it is time for our favorite sim to evolve but, we have to be innovative not imitators.

dethringr
GT5 always felt like a half finish game. Alot of half baked idea that never really fully developed. The over all experience I got is GT5 is just one huge beta test bed for hopefully a "complete" and fully thoughtout GT6.

As far as that goes we all know how much of a perfectionist Kaz is, and we all know that he was push to release this title by cooperate. Don't get me wrong it took them way too long to give us what we got, and your more than likely right.

I want GT5 to be better than Forza... as of now it isn't. Deciding not to add features that would drastically improve the game just because they're in Forza just isn't smart especially if PD can do it better.

I just don't see the purpose in it, to me, its like NHL 2K13 copying NHL13, idealistically, they're the same game, just with a different face.
No, GT will never become a clone of Forza, and I am happy for that. Not because I don't like Forza, but because there would be no point. Realistically, as well, PD likely won't create as diverse of a livery editor like that in FM4 for GT6, for example.

I think it would be a huge mistake if PD were to set their sights only on the Forza series, especially when other sims like iRacing, pCARS, and all the other good stuff have their own unique ways of being fun to play. Then again, PD doesn't have the word "competition" in mind, so I suppose it's better than nothing.

hairystig
So I've been reading thought this forum and some of the complaining threads in gt5 forum and it seems to me that those who are most critical of gt5 want nothing more than forza on playstation, I say this based on the features I see people requesting in GT6 that are almost always in forza like livery editor celebrity voice regular dlc less Japanese cars etc etc so this got me thinking most of the more negative people on these forums just want a forza emulator, am I right?

I really hope Im wrong, if GT6 does turn out to be a copy of forza I for one won't be buying, I already have forza.

Making a racing game do more than the bare minimum isn't "emulating Forza" so much as "making it better than average". GT gets compared against Forza because Forza is the undisputed best racing game of the generation, with all Forza installments on the 360 (three so far) each outscoring GT5, earning higher acclaim, and setting the bar very high. GT6 doesn't have to emulate Forza if we're fine with GT being number two to Forza, but if we want it to compete for the crown it needs more than just a bunch of last-gen car models, some tracks, a good physics engine, basically nothing else positive, and some features nobody enjoys (B-Spec, oil changes, car washes, and a limited Used Car Dealership offering just a few PS2 car models at a time). The series gets compared to Forza because Forza does more than minimum.

All GT really needs to do is add in a livery editor, but they should do it computer sim style instead of Forza's stamp-graphic method. And what I mean is allowing us to download official skinning templates for every car for people to make custom skins on their computers, while they're at it they can even make a simple image editing suite for PC and Mac, iOS, and Android that makes skinning a lot more streamlined and easier for the untrained artist.

This way people could truly innovate and do exactly whatever they want. Forza's editor is awesome for what it is but it's just held back too much by the hardware. Sure, you can make awesome intricate and complex graphics, but they take ages to do and only those with seemingly unlimited time can produce them. Allowing us to make liveries on our own would mean that we'd get thousands of options relatively right away.

So they should take the most popular points of Forza's success and really blow them into the next generation. But really that's all I could think of besides the performance point system they've already ripped, and it's a shame too, because I really don't care for systems like it what so ever; they're misleading most of the time. They need to stop holding our hands when it comes to figuring performance, cars shouldn't be rated like in RPGs, we should have to rely on figuring out performance matching on our own. It would make for more tactful approaches to racing.

That is never going to happen with console games for the simple reason not everyone has a computer, the software and/or the skill required. Plus there is the issue of actually uploading them, it opens up security holes that Sony/MS don't want to open.

There's no reason to be afraid of opening up any sort of vulnerability by allowing image uploading, this isn't 2002. The biggest worry would be content graphic control, but people have already created image analyzers to counter the inevitable guys that want to cruise around with tits on their hoods.

"Not every one has a computer," is a pretty lame excuse for not going forward with such an approach. And of course not every one's going to be a graphic designer, that's why I suggested a PD-made graphic editor that's really easy to use.
If there is a livery editor in GT6, or what have you, then it will probably be a lot like Forza's, I'm just suggesting that in order to go above what's already done by T10 they're going to have to take some really big steps at this point, or else people will really just lean on the, "GT's copying Forza now," idea.

wardez
there's no reason to be afraid of opening up any sort of vulnerability by allowing image uploading, this isn't 2002. The biggest worry would be content graphic control, but people have already created image analyzers to counter the inevitable guys that want to cruise around with tits on their hoods.

"not every one has a computer," is a pretty lame excuse for not going forward with such an approach. And of course not every one's going to be a graphic designer, that's why i suggested a pd-made graphic editor that's really easy to use.
If there is a livery editor in gt6, or what have you, then it will probably be a lot like forza's, i'm just suggesting that in order to go above what's already done by t10 they're going to have to take some really big steps at this point, or else people will really just lean on the, "gt's copying forza now," idea.

+1

There's no reason to be afraid of opening up any sort of vulnerability by allowing image uploading, this isn't 2002.

I'm sorry I don't follow. What has the year got to do with anything, vulnerabilities still exist in 2012 and people will try to find holes wherever they can. Why would Sony open a channel for that on purpose?

"Not every one has a computer," is a pretty lame excuse for not going forward with such an approach.

Because.......? It seems like a perfectly legitimate reason to me, if someone doesn't have a computer then they can't create liveries. That's not fair is it? Why would PD purposely exclude that group of people?
And of course not every one's going to be a graphic designer, that's why I suggested a PD-made graphic editor that's really easy to use.

Why can't they do the same within the game, exactly? What are you proposing on a computer that they couldn't achieve on the PS3 which is a computer in itself, I might add.

I don't understand where you got the idea that Sony's servers could be exploited through easily defeatable means like trojan images, which would be stopped before anything could even start to be uploaded with a quick scan, or packet sniffing, which is always easily prevented by having the enterprise servers they employ. Companies that were only moderately prepared could be overwhelmed by such methods back then, but security's so good these days it's not even worth worrying about.

About the fact that not every one has a computer available:
most people still do, so it's definitely worth doing. And even if a user doesn't have a computer, they will still be able to download liveries, so it works.

And the reason they can't do the same in-game is because you're limited by the controller. Unless they allow the use of, at least, a mouse it'll be limited to shape morphing.

PS3 can utilize keyboard and mouse, as used by Counter Strike Global Offensive on PS3. Livery editor should not be a problem on PS3.

Latest Posts

Back