GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 30,107 comments
Thanks for the links, hints and tips for Laguna. I'll try and put them into practise. One the stands outs right now is undriving. I seem to push too much around there.

Its funny how some tracks you just 'get' and then others are a complete mystery. Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta and Autopolis in the last few weeks clicked straight away. This is kryptonite. All part of the challenge though isnt it!!

@GrumpyOldMan Golf and GT7 dailies?? Geez dude, if you added calling "customer service" to that list, you would have the trifecta of frustration.
That's a total fact! I was playing golf with a friend a while ago, and I said to him "I've got to stop swearing." He said "Then you're gonna have to give up golf." Now add Sim Racing to that.

By the way, I decided to keep swearing. I mean, * that *, right?

On the subject of Customer Service: I had some questions about my GT Omega Prime cockpit, so I emailed customer service. It did take them a few days to respond, but once they did, the guy was fantastic. So I just wanted to call them out for great customer service, since we get so little of it these days.

As for daily races, I've gotten worse since last night, at Laguna. * ** it! :lol:

Apologies for the incoming rant, but this is one of those things that really riles me up.

The optimal tyre strategy is NOT to change when softer compound matches harder. Let me explain why.

In the example above, let’s say you do 7m/3h and you try 8m/2h. The difference between these two strats is 1 lap on 6 lap old mediums vs 1 lap on 2 lap old hards. So what matters is whether your 7th medium lap is quicker or slower than your third hards lap.

In this case that is approximately the same as the crossover point because you’re doing so few laps on hards, but in races where you significantly wear both compounds, changing at crossover is potentially a very bad choice.

The optimal point is the one in which your last lap on the softer compound is still quicker than replacing that lap with your last lap on the harder compound.
Perfectly valid point and one we rarely experience in GT7 since we only change tires once?

I beginning to like Laguna Seca. My consistency is an abomination currently but when you get it right it’s very rewarding but when you get it wrong it’s very wrong.

I did not race it last night as as I was all over the place consistency wise, so I gave up and went for a bike ride.

However I’m really liking the Corkscrew and the next couple of turns. Think I’m getting pretty good there now. The other corners though …. ?

Last edited:
Interesting hearing from people learning Laguna Seca for the first time and it's unpredictable and often frustrating nature.

I think starting now I'd have hated the track but after years and years of it I have learned how to enjoy it, and not just the corkscrew. There's a certain methodical pace to it if you can get in the groove but it's very easy to slip out of and get a wheel in the sand.

It's a track that will teach you, very much like Brands Hatch, how to underdrive the car to get the most consistent lap times and not 'screw' it all up.
that would explain why I hate brands hatch as well lol

That's a total fact! I was playing golf with a friend a while ago, and I said to him "I've got to stop swearing." He said "Then you're gonna have to give up golf." Now add Sim Racing to that.

By the way, I decided to keep swearing. I mean, * that *, right?

On the subject of Customer Service: I had some questions about my GT Omega Prime cockpit, so I emailed customer service. It did take them a few days to respond, but once they did, the guy was fantastic. So I just wanted to call them out for great customer service, since we get so little of it these days.

As for daily races, I've gotten worse since last night, at Laguna. * ** it! :lol:
I had a fantastic experience with Advanced Sim Racing. If you’re ever ready to step up to a bigger rig, I highly recommend them! They called, and even FaceTimed me to sit in some seats so I could see how they fit. Great company!
I beginning to like Laguna Seca. My consistency is an abomination currently but when you get it right it’s very rewarding but when you get it wrong it’s very wrong.

I did not race it last night as as I was all over the place consistency wise, so I gave up and went for a bike ride.

However I’m really liking the Corkscrew and the next couple of turns. Think I’m getting pretty good there now. The others thought …. ?
I was getting hammered in the A lobbies. I was starting right in the middle of the last turn at the start of the race. What a horrible way to begin. After several races, and finishing last every time, I decided the only solution was to improve my quali time so I could start on the straightaway instead. So I improved my time by a full second, and the next race? I started right in the middle of the turn in an even tougher lobby!!!! So I guess I learned how to drive faster to go slower.

By the way, the fastest way to drop from mid-A to B is to finish last in a handful of tough lobbies, then start P2 in several easier lobbies and finish last anyway!!!! I think I may hate Laguna Seca.

Laguna Seca and Brands Hatch are 2 of my favourites. Managed a 20.5 in the Audi R8 '15 in the TT, was more time in there but couldn't put the lap together, will try a couple other cars during the week
Those are my 2 favourites too.
Very close racing and no room for mistakes with the track limits. Demands lots of concentration and the rush of adrenaline is intense.

The bad side... after a couple of races I get really tired and its hard to push without ending off the track.

Laguna Seca and Brands Hatch are 2 of my favourites. Managed a 20.5 in the Audi R8 '15 in the TT, was more time in there but couldn't put the lap together, will try a couple other cars during the week
Same. BH is my favourite European circuit, LS is my favourite American circuit, Suzuka is my favourite Asian circuit.

Just jumped on to do Daily Race C…and I’m going to upset a few people I think, but this race is boring!
They is actually no real racing involved at all in this race. I spend most of my time trying to stay within 1 second of the car ahead to keep within the bump draft, if you out of that your only hope is for people ahead to crash and come back into play. Obviously if you cars behind you hope they are within bump draft range if you’re heading down the Mulsanne 10mph slower losing too much time. The other thing that bugs me is the standard of driving. I’m not saying people are dirty etc… but too many cars are going off into gravel.
Dynamic weather a nice touch but wrong track to be using this.

Daily B is ok, but had a few use the old push to pash trick on me. With all the gravel you can’t defend a push to pass at all as they just send you into the gravel. Other than that it’s been fairly clean in my lobbies for this race.

Just jumped on to do Daily Race C…and I’m going to upset a few people I think, but this race is boring!
They is actually no real racing involved at all in this race. I spend most of my time trying to stay within 1 second of the car ahead to keep within the bump draft, if you out of that your only hope is for people ahead to crash and come back into play. Obviously if you cars behind you hope they are within bump draft range if you’re heading down the Mulsanne 10mph slower losing too much time. The other thing that bugs me is the standard of driving. I’m not saying people are dirty etc… but too many cars are going off into gravel.

Daily B is ok, but had a few use the old push to pash trick on me. With all the gravel you can’t defend a push to pass at all as they just send you into the gravel. Other than that it’s been fairly clean in my lobbies for this race.
I think a part of the "dirty" problem with Race C is that when you're being bumped down Mulsanne and headed towards Mulsanne corner you're entering sometimes 10mph or more faster than you do in qualifying and you've got to be absolutely ON it to get it whoa'd up in time to make the corner itself. God forbid you get squirrely into the braking zone because not only are you going off but you're probably taking a few cars with you. Same with into Porsche curves. Once I got that through my thick skull my races improved.

I had my first engine issue in the game, and it happened during Race C. I was serving 0.5 sec penalty at lap 4 for overshooting a corner and the engine symbol started flashing as soon as the penalty got over. It was weird.

One poor bloke did not know that I was running at low speed due to engine issue and he kept boom drafting me on lap 5 a few times before realizing that I was not gaining any speed and moved past me, leaving me in last place.

I am still having fun with dynamic weather even though it is dry almost every race. Eagerly looking forward to this dynamic weather being brought to Red Bull ring, which I believe is the best track for dynamic weather!

Last edited:
I had my first engine issue in the game, and it happened during Race C. I was serving 0.5 sec penalty at lap 4 for overshooting a corner and the engine symbol started flashing as soon as the penalty got over. It was weird.

One poor bloke did not know that I was running at low speed due to engine issue and he kept boom drafting me on lap 5 a few times before realizing that I was not gaining any speed and moved past me, leaving me in last place.

I am still having fun with dynamic weather even though it is dry almost every race. Eagerly looking forward to this dynamic weather being brought to Red Bull ring, which I believe is the best track for dynamic weather!
To me I think Red Bull or Suzuka is the best for dynamic weather....Fuji is just not good when wet

Last edited:
I feared this might end with him attempted the bump draft and punting you off into the french countryside

I literally almost cried. The first time in 9 races at Laguna where I didn't lose DR.

1674686463825.png

I want to thank the idiots in front of me who took each other out, and missed me by inches.

On the last lap, after making the turn leading to the uphill and the esses, I glanced at the leaderboard to check my lead, which was over 3.5 seconds, so why was I taking my eyes off the road? I looked back to the track just barely in time to save me from running into the dirt on the right, going up the hill. Big adrenaline rush, and MANY BAD WORDS berating myself for being a complete and total moron.

I've won my share of races, so it's unusual for me to be so nervous during the last lap. Except that this week at Laguna, I've either had major suckage, really bad luck, or both, and I was wondering if I'd ever even finish at my starting position, let alone win. Deep breath. EGBOK. (Only old-time Southern California KABC radio listeners will know what that means. Any of you here?)

I like Le Mans. I like rain. I finished lap one in first as all the Veyrons fell off because it was raining.

Then I got killed by everyone not braking early enough for the wet surface at Mulsanne and finished... I don't know, 11th?
Considering the gaps that can be built and that at times it feels like you're driving alone (not that I mind, I love Le Mans) it's funny how often success in this one comes down to how well the other drivers are prepared for the big turns.

I literally almost cried. The first time in 9 races at Laguna where I didn't lose DR.

View attachment 1225630

I want to thank the idiots in front of me who took each other out, and missed me by inches.

On the last lap, after making the turn leading to the uphill and the esses, I glanced at the leaderboard to check my lead, which was over 3.5 seconds, so why was I taking my eyes off the road? I looked back to the track just barely in time to save me from running into the dirt on the right, going up the hill. Big adrenaline rush, and MANY BAD WORDS berating myself for being a complete and total moron.

I've won my share of races, so it's unusual for me to be so nervous during the last lap. Except that this week at Laguna, I've either had major suckage, really bad luck, or both, and I was wondering if I'd ever even finish at my starting position, let alone win. Deep breath. EGBOK. (Only old-time Southern California KABC radio listeners will know what that means. Any of you here?)
The only Cali radio station I'm familiar with is KROC from back in the late 70's-80's playing punk and new wave.
I've tried several times to set a lap at Laguna Seca and join a race. I've set a 1:24 or something like that, made it about half way through a race and binned it twice at the corkscrew. Went back to Le Mans where I'm having a great time!

Maybe we'll battle again next week but I'm for sure GR.4 this week

EDIT:
Considering the gaps that can be built and that at times it feels like you're driving alone (not that I mind, I love Le Mans) it's funny how often success in this one comes down to how well the other drivers are prepared for the big turns.
Yeah that's a thing I've noticed. I had a race this afternoon where after the first two laps had settled down 1st was 9 seconds up the road. I was in 2nd and had a 10 second gap to 3rd. Race was basically finished for both of us at that point. I wasn't catching 1st and wasn't being caught without mistakes. Didn't make mistakes lol

Last edited:

What?? Where else can you sip hot coffee while on a hot lap? Seriously, I was doing that yesterday.

Nah, I beg to differ, I posted a pic of a victory in race C last night, it was raining at the start and I had the pole, by the end of lap one I was in 10th or 11th because of carnage, and slowly passed others as they had their troubles with rain. Mid 4th lap i was in second and P1 was 11 sec ahead but realizing he was on wets he would be slower and by middle of last lap passed him and kept on for the win. I hate to say this but not boring in the least...

2 more races for me tonight. I got my qualifying time down to a 4:02.8XX which is awesome as I wanted to get around that time by the end of the week.

I was glad to see @nukewells_OG and @Stilva at Le Mans. Good racing, chaps. 👍

I didn't recognize @nukewells_OG PSN/racing name or I would have also said hello, so my bad. Also, the "Dynamic Weather" wasn't that dynamic as both races were in the dry again.

Anyway, my new qualifying time gets me to P5 to start and off we go. It was a good race from me, but I did make a few minor mistakes and those add up over time. I do fall to P7 after Sturk did something to me, or I did something to them and we collided. I have no idea what happened. The replay didn't save again so that's awesome. I eventually finish there. Overall a good effort from me.

Race 2 has me P3 to start and an off track penalty drops me to P5 after lap 2. Before that, I was in the middle of 3 drivers going on either side of me entering the small bend on the Mulsanne Straight with them going at full drafting speed. Almost got taken out, but I held on. Someone absolutely forgot to turn at the end of the straight right after that and absolutely clobbered some drivers. Again the replay didn't save so I can't share that carnage with everyone. On the last lap, I manage to catch 2 Bugatti drivers with me in P5. We get a draft train down the straight and hope for the best. They both get penalties at some point, and I pass both after they serve the penalties and take home a P3 podium finish. Yay!

If I can have more races like that tomorrow, I'm all for it. I'm having a blast out there. I did figure out the Indianapolis corner finally as I was braking way to late for that. As for the replay saving errors I've been having I might have figured it out. I think it's due to the fact that I have so many replays saved that it ran out of internal storage (or whatever it is) for that stuff like GT Sport had. Or, I could be completely wrong about that. It helps when you actually read the error message. So, I need to clear the replays that I've been saving since the game launched and see if that helps.

Just had an amazingly awesome race with a guy I'll call "Punishment Soup" ( I dunno if we can shout out great racing or not so euphemism it is) at Le Mans.

I started on pole with my 4:02:2xx, Soup was right behind me. We get a great bump chain going down the Mulsanne but OH NO I have a .5 second penalty for cutting the track at Tetre Rouge. I know I can't pull ahead of him by enough to maintain the lead after serving my penalty but I can, if I'm good through Indy and Arnage, be fast enough to be right behind him when I'm done serving. So we bump together towards Indianapolis. I get the run through Arnage that I wanted and leave penalty zone on his bumper.

The great thing about the Viper is serving a .5 second penalty you don't have to downshift to start accelerating again as 3rd gear is where you should be when you hit the line, and 3rd is where you need to be when you're done serving.

I stay hot on his tracks through the Porsche curves and into the heavy braking zone for the Ford Chicane. So far so good. Only 4 laps to go.

Laps 2, 3, and 4 are basically all the same only with Soup in the lead instead of me. I don't want to pass him until Lap 5 Arnage if I can help it. We're building a 10+ second lead on 3rd so the race is, unless we screw up, between the two of us. He can draft and pass if I go too early.

THEN HE GETS A 1 SECOND PENALTY EXITING TETRE ROUGE ON LAP 4!!! I know, at this moment, that I'm winning this race unless I throw it away. Soup does too. But he does the needful and gasses it out of Tetre Rouge and pulls away because I washed wide with dirty air but slowed down. I know all I need to do is be within a second when he hits the penalty line. And I know I'm faster through Indianapolis AND Arnage. We're about even through Mulsanne so I need to step it up there as well.

By the time we hit the penalty line I'm .8 seconds behind. I have this in the bag. He's going to be slow through Porsche and I was already a second faster through the final sector than he had been.

At Tetre Rouge I have a 2.8 second lead. At Mulsanne Corner I have a 2.4 second lead. At Indianapolis I have a 3 second lead, and at the Line I have a 5.6 second lead.
My first Le Mans win!

Love the Viper, it's a great car. Slower than the Bugatti down Mulsanne but so much more controllable in the high speed and med speed corners, and better brakes too. Bugatti might be the qualifying meta b/c of the single car speed but I think the Viper might be the race meta. Not sure tbh. My DR is still B and my SR is now C (not sure how that's hanging on) but my lobbies are basically Vipers, Vettes, and a handful of Bugattis with the rare Mustang thrown in for funzies.

Now that the early part of the week is passed and people seem to have figured out how to bump draft and be fast around here it's a lot more fun than Monday was!

Anyways, thanks for the race Punishment Soup, hopefully we meet again!

If I can have more races like that tomorrow, I'm all for it. I'm having a blast out there. I did figure out the Indianapolis corner finally as I was braking way to late for that. As for the replay saving errors I've been having I might have figured it out. I think it's due to the fact that I have so many replays saved that it ran out of internal storage (or whatever it is) for that stuff like GT Sport had. Or, I could be completely wrong about that. It helps when you actually read the error message. So, I need to clear the replays that I've been saving since the game launched and see if that helps.
For Indianapolis I lift for the right hand kink and as soon as I line up with the Curb on the right I hammer the brakes and start downshifting into 2nd like my life depends on it. By the time I hit the corner I'm doing about 70mph, turn left and hammer the throttle riding out to the right hand curb again, upshifting into 3rd and keeping it there until the brake point for Arnage. Sometimes I rev limit but it almost never actually matters.

Last edited:
Back