GTA Online Thread (Useful Links in OP)

• Thread starter dhandeh
  • 42,329 comments
Not what I meant by my post. Just forget it.

I wonder if they could shut down the servers for the other games that they have neglected over the years that they might have enough. That's all I was talking about.
That wasn't even close to what you actually said. Perhaps say that next time instead of saying, "LOL typical Rockstar" & then wondering why Dmarc & myself got the exact same thing from your original post.

McLaren
That wasn't even close to what you actually said. Perhaps say that next time instead of saying, "LOL typical Rockstar" & then wondering why Dmarc & myself got the exact same thing from your original post.

My bad on my part. I apologize for that.
Wasn't wondering. I have no problem explaining myself. I was going to further edit my first post, but got a important phone call (not trying to make a excuse really).

I enjoyed watching the intro with lamar, can't wait until we can all actually play it!

Well good thing there has been stuff to watch on tv lately with all these problems.

I got to play last night for about 4 hours. A friend and I had trouble at first but once we both got it going it ran flawless the rest of the night. I really hate how it doesn't out you back into the same server though after you complete a mission and then you don't accept the next one. Hopefully that is a bug. Other than that though the game is great. We had a lot of fun doing coop missions together.

It's just a shame this game released so close to the next gen consoles. It has a ton of potential but will probably get traded in the day I pick up the ps4.

OOOOOOooooooo I'm into the race without it crashing :D

You on PS3? and Solo session? Or Public Game? Hopefully I get the same luck later when I get a chance to get on. I seen a few posts on GTA Forums today of PS3 users finally being able to get on, but with GTA Forums there's so many trolls lol.

PS3 loaded straight into online when loading the game, completed 1st race so now see what happens :D

Yeah I've been playing now as well, kind of cool in that sense Speedyish, yeah, feels like old school GTA at first.

But yeah, was doing a mission, then randomly the whole world started shapeshifting, switching from day to night super quick, making me invisible, teleporting me random places while everything in the area around me loaded all strange. Yeah, definitely needs some work. But I heard a guy's voice on chat, don't know who it is since the menus are corrupt as well.

360 version

I got on fairly quick last night after 3 tries. Then was on for 3 straight hours. I made it to level 6 and I have about $11,000.

****Slight spoilers about the online experience.**** But this is the "GTA online thread" so I imagine most know whats going on by now.

All I can say is this is the ultimate GTA online experience I have dreamed of my entire life!!! There is way more in the online mp than there is in the campaign which shocked me even more. Imagine the 16 player RDR co-op meets Test Drive Unlimited 2 meets GTA. All the houses, all the activities, the ability to drive anywhere meet anyone and do everything together. Along with getting out of your car at anytime to interact with each other. There are also a lot more activities online. You can also access any ATM to store your money so other players cant steal it from you.

If you haven't checked your phone online, you seriously need to do that. Especially the property locations. I was blown away when I seen how many properties you can buy online. Check Dynasty 8 with your phone and be prepared to see a flashback of TDU2 online. Just wow incredible experience.

Also if you don't want to be killed by other people you can pay $100.00 and people wont be able to kill you with guns. They can still run over you with their car, but they cant directly shoot you.

Oh also if someone steals your ride and you have it insured, YOU get the money directly from their account especially if they destroy it!!!

Also there must be 20x more character customization options online. Different clothes, different hair, and much more. Way more than the campaign. Almost the same level as Saints Row. It was insane!

Just an incredible experience. The campaign is seriously only a little taste compared to what you see online. 👍👍

Last edited:
I agree and that's saying a lot since I truly enjoyed the campaign. This mp is miles ahead of that. This is the 16 player co-op I have been constantly asking for. Basically TDU2 mixed with RDR 16 player co-op in GTA. Dream come true. You can also share your money after each robbery or anytime you make money. And there are a LOT of ways to share the money.

That's mere assumption. How do you figure the don't have estimates on how much they'd sell at launch? No one spends X dollars and doesn't expect X dollars return.

I'm speculating here but I'm sure that big distributors hold data bases on how much there retail stores have pre-orders and those numbers get passed up the chain.

Also, how do you figure that they wouldn't think everyone would go online at the same time? It's 2 weeks later, most people have finished the game to 100% completion (im sitting at 97% :), I'm sure you're in the same boat), what else is there for people to do.....go online, right?

Pre-orders make up a small amount of overall sales, there was no real way for R* to know how many copies they would have sold in this two week period except for industry predictions.

Say they pressed and shipped out 20 million copies, they likely expected those two last a few months, instead many reports are saying 15 million have been sold already. That's a crazy number and not one R* expected. If they had only sold say 5 million copies then the numbers going online all at the same time would be much smaller.

You can plant car bombs through LS Customs (either ignition triggered or remote), that's just brilliant. Also when robbing stores you can shout through your headset to make them speed up, and there are loads more cars available to buy on the internet so if you couldn't find something you wanted offline there's a good chance you'll be able to get one that way.

Oh and after maybe 40 hours of offline play, I FINALLY saw some Sabres spawning after ten minutes online and I found a motorbike I'd never seen offline, it was a Bagger but I can't remember the model.

You can plant car bombs through LS Customs (either ignition triggered or remote), that's just brilliant. Also when robbing stores you can shout through your headset to make them speed up, and there are loads more cars available to buy on the internet so if you couldn't find something you wanted offline there's a good chance you'll be able to get one that way.

Oh and after maybe 40 hours of offline play, I FINALLY saw some Sabres spawning after ten minutes online and I found a motorbike I'd never seen offline, it was a Bagger but I can't remember the model.

Thank you :), Im a Happy Kitten :)

About the headset shouting-part, do you know if it's something everyone in the "lobby" hears/can hear?

Yes the car bomb can be used for many ideas. As for shouting through your headset, that does not work if you are in a party chat. [360] My friend was shouting and yelling during a robbery and I told him there is no way that's working since we are in an 8 person party chat [360]. It was still hilarious. :lol:

About the headset shouting-part, do you know if it's something everyone in the "lobby" hears/can hear?
If you are in a public lobby and not in a party chat then yes. Especially since its 16 player co-op. You are probably going to hear a lot of yelling in the public lobbies. :lol:

No one tried to stole my car (Buffalo) yet but that bomb thing sounds like a neat idea. 👍

First thing I noticed was the sheer amount of Futos near my first spawn point. Everyone I saw was driving it. I honestly dont see what's the big deal about that car other than drifting. Too loose for my liking.

Reposting this for people that didn't see it in the main thread before:

GTA Online details:

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...tails-character-creation-activities-and-more/

• Character progression has a "flow" but there isn't an "overarching narrative that culminates in a definitive conclusion"
  • The aim of GTA Online is to do whatever it takes to get more money in the bank and accrue assets such as cars and real estate
  • Characters appear in cutscenes when interacting with other characters in the world as they would in the single-player but doesn't speak
  • Female characters can be used in GTA Online
  • Almost all activities from the campaign are available in GTA online: "heists, missions, robberies, assaulting gang hideouts, hijacking armored vehicles, races" as well as "tennis, golf and base jumping"
  • According to Rockstar North president Leslie Benzies threre's over 500 missions. Some can be completed solo, but others are complicated and require a team.
  • GTA Online takes place after the main story, familiar faces will make appearances (we now know it takes place a few months before the main story)
  • By currying favour of characters you can be introduced to more people and delve deeper into the criminal world
  • Franklin's friend Lamar may introduce you to a car dealer named Simeon Yetarian, who wants you to steal cars for him
  • Biker gangs may support you during missions if you're friendly with them
  • A tech-savvy character [Lester] you've befriended may hide you on the radar during multiplayer
  • Security firms that have taken a liking to you may be used to deliver airstrikes
  • Rockstar uses a "dynamic" system to populate GTA Online, starting with your friends and crew members, then similarly skilled players in the same part of the world.
  • GTA Online has been created to be "as customisable as possible" in terms of who you play with: "there are options to let the game decide who to play with... or you can hand pick every player in the game".
  • The game analyses your playing style as you play and surfaces missions that appeal more to your style.
  • There's a crew ranking system and a personal rank
  • The fourth GTA Online player is fresh off a plane in Los Santos, character creation involves choosing your mum, dad and grandparents and you're given a character. Then players then choose a lifestyle, make choices about the things the character does (partying, couch potato, criminal, athletics nut).
  • Starting skills are based on the chosen lifestyles, but can be upgraded, as can the look of the character
  • Players riding shotgun in cars can also control radio station, set waypoints, use a cinematic camera, or attack others
  • Holding the select button (on a PS3) pulls up a menu where outfits and gestures can be changed
  • Phone camera's can be used to take a selfie
  • During a liquor store robbery the player can shout at the cashier to hurry up through a mic and the character will respond
  • Escaping cops involves keeping yourself out of the police's vision cone
  • After each GTA Online mission cash rewards and Reputation Points are awarded. The crew leader decides who keeps the loot.
  • A leader can choose to hog the spoils but, obviously, other players might not take that very well
  • Invites are received through the character's phone and accepting seamlessly transports the player to the activity
  • Players can customise the way a vehicle handles at shops found around the city
  • In missions involving bigger teams a lobby window opens up. From this the roles such as sniper, look-out and transporter can be assigned. The crew leader can tweak settings such as time of day, weather, difficulty and how many lives they have to complete the mission.
  • Everyone is given priorities suited to their role when missions begin
  • When you have enough cash to purchase a "high end residency" you gain the ability to set up heists like the ones in the solo campaign.
  • These missions involve multiple phases, including a set-up phase. In the mission shown prep involved buying guns from Ammu-Nation and procuring a helicopter. The tasks can be split between players.
  • Passive mode can be activated if you want to enjoy Online without being troubled by other players, this is automatically deactivated when you fire your gun however.
  • Players can kill you and take your cash, so you are encouraged to put money in the bank and use ATMs.
  • Purchases can still be made using the money even if it's in the bank
  • If you are robbed, you can put a bounty on a players head for revenge
  • Each house you pruchase has space for storing cars. Modest appartments have space for two, but high-end homes can store ten.
  • Garage areas can be treated like showrooms. You can walk around and admire your cars and hire a mechanic to keep them in good condition. You can also insure them to avoid big payouts should you damage them badly.
  • You can invite friends to your home and drink, call strippers, watch Rockstar's custom created TV shows (or your friends in high-speed chases).
  • Missions are controlled through Rockstar's Social Club, which means the developer tweak them regularly.

No one tried to stole my car (Buffalo) yet but that bomb thing sounds like a neat idea. 👍

First thing I noticed was the sheer amount of Futos near my first spawn point. Everyone I saw was driving it. I honestly dont see what's the big deal about that car other than drifting. Too loose for my liking.

Its a Easy Get-Away Vehicle since its Loose easy to power slide and not go into a stall.

360 version
You can also access any ATM to store your money so other players cant steal it from you.
I can't confirm this personally, but apparently, there is a "Deposit" option on your phone as well to get around people who may spawn camp ATMs.

Oh also if someone steals your ride and you have it insured, YOU get the money directly from their account especially if they destroy it!!!
Oh, that is awesome. :lol:👍

First time I have seen that list. Thanks for posting. And yes "Passive" mode is what I was trying to remember in my post #164. I highly recommend that when you first start out if you don't want to lose your money.

Also don't forget you can set your waypoint to the closest ATM to deposit your money asap so other players don't take it from you. ATMs are everywhere.

Oh that's right McLaren I forgot you can instant deposit it from your phone!!! Good call!

Here's all the residencies you can buy:
dDPD2xY.jpg

Back