GTA V - General Thread

• Thread starter Hollidog
  • 9,032 comments
They should use inspirations from different cities and morf them into one city. Like different buildings for instance petronas towers, empire state building, Canary Warf etc.

The trailer for GTA 5 will be available on the 2nd of November. GTA IV might not have been the title everybody was hoping for but Red Dead Redemption and L.A.Noire really filled in the wait, here's hoping GTA V recaptures some of the magic of the earlier games. 👍

Really?

GTA IV has to be one of the greatest games ever made.

I played that game so much and I probably never saw half of the city. The detail in that game was absolutely amazing and It still looks great.

I cannot wait for GTA V! Any guesses as to when It will be released? Saints row 3 is coming out soon isn't it? That will keep us entertained until GTA comes out..

Please not Los Santos (LA), at least not alone. I already found it boring that they used NYC for GTA IV.
They'll probably give it an overhaul. One of the things they did in SAN ANDREAS to make it seem larger than it actually was was to use elevation to block the horizon. The island that housed Los Santos was actually two separate regions, using a mountain range in the middle to block the view between the two, putting less stress on the system (but making some weird roads).

I am not surprised by this at all infact it could be quite but it is time to divert away from Liberty city and start going back to the likes of San Andreas and Vice city

Liberty city is good but there is only so much you can do with it in theory you can do a heap load with especially a SA style world SA was massive it took ages to get around , in GTA4 you kinda see the same things over and over again but hey lets see what happens.

They'll probably give it an overhaul. One of the things they did in SAN ANDREAS to make it seem larger than it actually was was to use elevation to block the horizon. The island that housed Los Santos was actually two separate regions, using a mountain range in the middle to block the view between the two, putting less stress on the system (but making some weird roads).

Yea San Andreas seemed huge. Some of those roads running between regions were quite cool, but they were hectic as the traffic would be going so fast all the time. Always big pile ups :lol:

I was just thinking I would love to see a non American map. What about GTA London or GTA Italy.

Some european place with mobsters :D

Jai
The Story in IV was brilliant
I'm hoping for a decent story. One of the things I dislike about modern games is the way developers skimp on the single-player mode for the sake of multiplayer, treating it as an extended tutorial for multiplayer, and the story invariably suffers. Take MODERN WARFARE 2 as an example - the story is horrid, because the focus is obviously on online play. The problem is that there are people out there who are exceptionally good, so playing online can be frustrating at the best of times. We can always play the single-player campaign, but the story is incoherent and takes extraordinary leaps in logic and expects you to swallow them. I believe Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation described it as a case of half the writers trying to see just how far they could push the envelope, while the other half were afraid they'd already gone too far and kept trying to pull the story back. At least some developers, like Rockstar and Naughty Dog, respect the single-player game.

Fortunately, the advantage of the GTA games is that they have a wicked sense of humour, and even if the story lags (I recall the Catalina missions in SAN ANDREAS being particularly guilty of this; they had little to do with the over all plot), at least the characters are interesting (I personally found Catalina hilarious).

One thing I'd love to see in a GTA game is a well-orchestrated story twist. For example, you play as a private investigator who is fixated on an unsolved murder with a connection to the governor. The whole thing is set up as a fairly standard the-governor-is-corrupt deal while the player searches for the truth, but in the final act it is revealed that the player has been the game's villain all along; you committed the murder before fleeing the city, and only came back when new evidence turned up. Rather than trying to expose the truth, you're actually trying to cover it up by destroying evidence.

Most of the games are coastal locations because it's easier to limit the player to the actual game world. As soon as you start having land border the edges of the map, you have to invent a reason to prevent the player from crossing over it.

Most of the games are coastal locations because it's easier to limit the player to the actual game world.

Aw, come on man! No one wants a GTA set in Eastbourne for a British location :lol:

I myself won't be picking up the game but I will definitely pay it eventually. The stuff you can do on these games is so much fun :lol:

Really?

GTA IV has to be one of the greatest games ever made.

I played that game so much and I probably never saw half of the city. The detail in that game was absolutely amazing and It still looks great.

I cannot wait for GTA V! Any guesses as to when It will be released? Saints row 3 is coming out soon isn't it? That will keep us entertained until GTA comes out..

Opinion is largely divided about GTA 4

Wasn't L.A Noire and MCLA also set in a Fictional L.A Different times yes (If so could be the reason why Rockstar chose it ).Or just due to Popular demand for a new SA.

I know it won't look as good as the Modded GTA IVs on the PC are now ,But I really looking forward to a new L.A.

Another San Andreas-esque game.....

Although it would be fine, it would be better if Rockstar made a Vice City II instead. Man I want to go back to the 70's/80's.

If it really is set in Los Angeles I probably won't pick it up because thats pure lazy.... Take LA Noire's engine and skin it with MCLA :dunce:

Plus its not like there haven't been hundreds of games set in LA whereas I can't think of many, if any, which have been set in Miami apart from VC.

@12 if this is for gta then it looks like it will be the whole state of san andreas :) due to the the hippies (san fierro) and people living out in the sticks (like the area where catalina lived) AWESOME!

San Andreas with GTA IV level of detail and graphism. Simple.

Speculation aside I can't wait to see the trailer and whavever city the game is set in, it will be an automatic purchase for me.

I can't wait to see the trailer but why is the whole rockstargames.com site just show that GTA5 pic.

Maybe it's because they're about to unveil the latest game in one of the biggest franchises in the history of computer games. It's a big announcement.

Plus its not like there haven't been hundreds of games set in LA whereas I can't think of many, if any, which have been set in Miami apart from VC.

Vice city was flat and (imo) boring. Seriously, that map was terrible.

The Vice City layout was small and boring, however the atmosphere and details were what made it such a great game (plus the whole Scarface parody).

The Vice City layout was small and boring, however the atmosphere and details were what made it such a great game (plus the whole Scarface parody).

I did enjoy the atmosphere and music, but the layout hampered it for me. I wouldn't mind a return to vice city, but I'd prefer it if Rockstar took a few liberties with the layout.

Back