GTA V - General Thread

• Thread starter Hollidog
  • 9,032 comments
It almost seems like they increased the size of Liberty City (and of course changed the layout) from 3 to 4, so if they ever did Vice City again I would think they would change it up somewhat.

It almost seems like they increased the size of Liberty City (and of course changed the layout) from 3 to 4, so if they ever did Vice City again I would think they would change it up somewhat.

I have full confidence they would do the same if they were to ever re-do vice city. Doesn't matter how big they make it if it's still flat and boring though.

So...LA Noire featured licensed vehicles from companies like Ford, Chevy and Chrysler. Anyone think that GTA5 will also feature licensed vehicles? Or will they stick to their satirical cars and brands?

Getting the license for such old cars I can imagine isn't as much as the new ones. Plus, damage would be limited if real models were to be interpreted into the game.

Jai
Getting the license for such old cars I can imagine isn't as much as the new ones. Plus, damage would be limited if real models were to be interpreted into the game.

Depends on the manufacturers used. Dodge, Chevy, Chrysler and Lamborghini have all expressed that they don't care if their cars are damaged and destroyed in video games.

Well, Lamborghini was originally a tractor company..

I don't think they would go for this system, I love seeing all the fictional car ideas.

Agree, the fictional cars have been a staple of the GTA series and I love the names they come up with along with the vehicles themselves.

Surely the intrinsic difference between LA NOIRE's use of cars is that whenever using them you are using them as a police officer... and for good.

Going back to GTA SA, I used combine harvesters to kill, cars to do drive-bys, traffic drugs etc etc. An entirely different proposal to a companies marketing/rights peeps.

m0rris

So...LA Noire featured licensed vehicles from companies like Ford, Chevy and Chrysler. Anyone think that GTA5 will also feature licensed vehicles? Or will they stick to their satirical cars and brands?

They'll use cars loosely based on real ones again, and who want to abandon some of the awesome names they've been using since forever? Sentinel, Infernus, Comet, Admiral, Cheetah, Sabre, Trashmaster... etc. :D

Real brands will be wary of putting their cars in a game so full of satire and media backlash...

SuperShouden
Depends on the manufacturers used. Dodge, Chevy, Chrysler and Lamborghini have all expressed that they don't care if their cars are damaged and destroyed in video games.
Damage isn't the issue. It's the image associated with Grand Theft Auto that manufacturers don't want to be associated with. Hell, the name alone is the term used to steal cars.

Awesome!! Can't wait to see what this new one brings to the table!!!

I loved all the GTA games.

I loved all GTA games apart from Chinatown wars, you like GTA China Town wars or you forgot about that :D

Vice city was flat and (imo) boring. Seriously, that map was terrible.

Yes it was basic but oozed style and its still my favourite GTA along side VCS, besides that was technology then and this time you can bet that if it was Miami again it would be done super realistically and include much more of the area.

Think of the same jump New York saw from GTA3 to GTA4 and you can kinda get the idea.

Robin.

Aw, come on man! No one wants a GTA set in Eastbourne for a British location :lol:

I do!

Imagine missions such as, "Tale o' ye missing thimble" and "Chase steve on his Mobility scooter through the Arndale center".

That is a release day purchase for me..:dopey:

In all seriousness, a 1960s or 1970s Brighton would make for a great British coast city for the game, mods and rockers etc, films like Brighton Rock and perhaps Quadrophenia show its underworld potential.

Aw, come on man! No one wants a GTA set in Eastbourne for a British location :lol:
To hear Scottish crime writers Ian Rankin and Stuart MacBride tell it, the British Isles are rife with all manner of criminal activity. Particularly bonnie Scotland.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Rockstar set the game in a cold location or in winter for the sake of parodying Stieg Larsson and the rise of Scandinavian crime fiction. After all, a lot of the games take cues from well-known genres; VICE CITY is clearly influenced by SCARFACE, for instance.

It's a bit difficult to predict the date the game, because there is no real precedent. SAN ANDREAS was released in 2004, but Frank Tenpenny, Big Smoke and Ryder all have a date of death given as 1992 (which makes sense, since the infamous South Central riots clearly influenced some of the plot elements).

But based on some of the character details in the casting call published by Kotaku, I'm guessing it will be much more contemporary. There are clear references to Scientology and Charlie Sheen's meltdown in some of the support characters. I suspect the plot will be much more "upscale", too - celebrities behaving badly, housewives that are as bored as they are rich, and so on.

Well its looking like GTA V could be set in 1899 if this interesting find is accurate, Or maybe a native American will feature as the main character.

GTA V Near-perfect match to logo found.

Fullbill.jpg

1899, the U.S. Mint issued the first and only bank note to feature a Native American as the central portrait: Running Antelope, a celebrated chief of the Uncpapa band of Sioux.Old and rare paper notes like this unique $5 silver certificate are amazing works of art. The intricate detail of Chief Running Antelope’s facial features and headdress are absolutely stunning. This unique bill caused quite a scandal when it was issued due to a mistake of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, who used the headdress of a rival tribe, the Pawnee, on Running Antelope.

Compare.jpg

Robin.

Well its looking like GTA V could be set in 1899 if this interesting find is accurate.
Except that the casting call is looking for people to play characters who are clearly set in the current day and age.

A lot of people have picked up on the "1899 theory", but if Rockstar want to make games in that time period, they'll make another RED DEAD REVOVLER (set in the 1880s) or RED DEAD REDEMPTION (1911). I'd say the V logo probably has something to do with the state of the economy as a plot point.

Well its looking like GTA V could be set in 1899 if this interesting find is accurate, Or maybe a native American will feature as the main character.
Usually I wouldn't go along with these theories but I find this particularly interesting due to this image which had been posted on the GTAForums by someone who's supposed to be some sort of insider at Rockstar. Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to Red Dead Revolver, the game play in latter was set in the 1880s, the same era that bill was produced. Both games are Rockstar productions. I don't really know what to make of this, if anything at all, but there's somewhat of a connection to this theory and the Genesis thread on the GTAForums. :crazy:

Usually I wouldn't go along with these theories but I find this particularly interesting due to this image which had been posted on the GTAForums by someone who's supposed to be some sort of insider at Rockstar.
What am I looking at? I'm seeing a screen shot of RED DEAD REDEMPTION with something that looks like it might be from the streets of San Andreas worked into it. Maybe it jsut shows Rockstar are re-using textures for the game (after all, if it ain't broke ...).

What am I looking at? I'm seeing a screen shot of RED DEAD REDEMPTION with something that looks like it might be from the streets of San Andreas worked into it. Maybe it jsut shows Rockstar are re-using textures for the game (after all, if it ain't broke ...).
No one really knows, people have posted some interesting and pretty out-there theories in the thread. I guess you can almost liken Genesis to Amar's pre-GT5 "birds and winds" thread, just a lot more cryptic.

I had a brief look through that thread. It made almost no sense to me. I suppose it would be a bit like an American visiting Australia and seeing a local cinema promoting a Yahoo Serious Festival. Sure, each of the words has a meaning, but the sentence doesn't make any sense.

I had a brief look through that thread. It made almost no sense to me.

It made sense for me though, but going on a speculation-skimming marathon would boggle my mind until no end.

All these mysteries make me want to travel into the future and see what GTA V exactly look like. :lol:

I had a brief look through that thread. It made almost no sense to me. I suppose it would be a bit like an American visiting Australia and seeing a local cinema promoting a Yahoo Serious Festival. Sure, each of the words has a meaning, but the sentence doesn't make any sense.
The GTAForums are known for these cryptic messages and the admin there do have contact with Rockstar. There's a chance they're just messing with everyone. And fun fact: Yahoo Serious almost walked straight into me at a store a few years ago. That was my closest encounter with a celebrity.

Back