GTCS season delayed

  • Thread starter Thread starter LVracerGT
  • 63 comments
  • 3,254 views
Messages
2,498
United States
Iowa, USA
Messages
LVracerGT
GRAN TURISMO CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES​

No one showed up for the first race so the season will be postponed until we get people committed. Check the website for new times, cars, and regulations.

www.freewebs.com/granturismocs
 
Last edited:
Sign me up! :)

PSN: chorda
I can also try to help out with sertain things if you need me.
 
My friend just told me he's in. Need 13 more people.
 
So you're in Vegas I assume? It would be cool to run with another guy in Vegas so I'll say yes too. Hopefully you get more people rolling in. For now for that to happen you need to find a niche for the series. Whether it's complete professional competition, a certain make, race series. An identity.

Maybe even something as simple as "PERL" Professional Endurance Racing League. Where the miniumum distance of racing is like 80 miles through out a bunch of different classes.

I also think you shouldn't exlude DS3 drivers. I run with a few of them and they can definitely be just as fast and clean as us with the wheels. And did you get those regs from a different league? 'cause who's gonna race with a keyboard on a PS3?
 
So you're in Vegas I assume? It would be cool to run with another guy in Vegas so I'll say yes too. Hopefully you get more people rolling in. For now for that to happen you need to find a niche for the series. Whether it's complete professional competition, a certain make, race series. An identity.

Maybe even something as simple as "PERL" Professional Endurance Racing League. Where the miniumum distance of racing is like 80 miles through out a bunch of different classes.

I also think you shouldn't exlude DS3 drivers. I run with a few of them and they can definitely be just as fast and clean as us with the wheels. And did you get those regs from a different league? 'cause who's gonna race with a keyboard on a PS3?

Used to live in Vegas. I've had this handle since I got my PS3 on launch. As for identity, and you're last question on where I got the regs, yes they were borrowed from northamericangp.com where I am involved with a GTR2 league that is very professional.

However, the owner is not sure he want's to support GT5 for the lack of control over regs and only 16 cars on track. I wanted to offer the same quality league on GT5 as we get on the PC in GTR2, so I have been given permission to alter the regs for GT5.

The model I am looking to use would be race length of about an hour once a week, with a 10 race season. First season would be something like a spec Silvia RM series with a HP cap and minimum weight regs. No aids allowed with the exception of ABS because you can't lock it out. Obviously the race view will be open because you can't control that (yet hopefully) either.

As for the league name, I can't use NAGP because I do not have permission. Therefore I am open to suggestions. PERL is a good suggestion. But until I get enough people on board I'm not worried about the name atm.

And as for the dualshock drivers, I have that in there because of bad experiences over at NAGP where a keyboard driver has cost someone a race where if they had a wheel it could have been different. Also, it keeps everyone on the same playing field.
 
Define "professional" in your "Professional Racing league".
 
Define "professional" in your "Professional Racing league".

Someone who is skilled, races clean, and knows proper on track etiquette. I want the racing to be clean, fair, but tough. Just like a real life professional racing league. My regulations in my first post give a pretty clear definition of what type of driving I'm looking for.
 
Someone who is skilled

What mechanism do/will you use to quantify that? and what benckmark will you be using?
 
Last edited:
There is no benchmark. There will be nothing like the 107% rule. Just looking for anyone who wants a clean, competitive league who can turn consistent laps with a wheel.

Anyone who is smash and go will not be tollerated.
 
And as for the dualshock drivers, I have that in there because of bad experiences over at NAGP where a keyboard driver has cost someone a race where if they had a wheel it could have been different. Also, it keeps everyone on the same playing field.

so a DS3 is the same as a keyboard???

i was looking to sign up untill i saw that no DS people allowed...
 
so a DS3 is the same as a keyboard???

i was looking to sign up untill i saw that no DS people allowed...

Yes, unfortunately. I have nothing against DS people. But you just can't be as smooth and consistent with a controller as you can with a wheel. And it ensures everyone is on the same playing field.

I can't tell you how annoying it is to hear people complain that "this dude got in my way because he's on a keyboard/controller" or "I can't compete with all these people with wheels I need a weight exception" <--(from the GTR2 league I raced online)

It's better IMO to just make a wheel required and avoid the problems all together. Also, if you look at the Academy rules, once you get to a certain point, DS3 are prohibited an you must use a wheel. So I am not the only one enforcing this. Sorry guys.
 
Would you be allowing the Super GT 500 cars? SO the Denso Lexus or Woodone Nissan GTR etc?
 
I'm interested, but not sure to what extent yet. I have a wheel, like the "mission statement" and everything. I'll keep an eye on this forum for details as they come together as to when you want races to happen
 
Would you be allowing the Super GT 500 cars? SO the Denso Lexus or Woodone Nissan GTR etc?

Eventually yes. For the first season I want to do a spec series. Like all Lexus IS-F RM's or something like that. When I get enough people interested I will start finalizing things. I'm thinking 10-12 people committed will be enough to start.

If the first season goes good I would like to do JGTC. Eight 500 class cars and eight 300 class cars for a mixed class championship.

If the league really takes off and I get more people interested I want to have multiple championships on different nights. Say JGTC on Tuesday nights and ALMS on Thursday nights, for example. Or another option if I get enough people would be 500 class cars/LMP cars on one night and 300 class/GT cars another night, but that eliminates having mixed classes on track at the same time being forced to deal with traffic. Which can end up creating a lot of excitement if there is a good battle with a back marker to get around.
 
I am interested for sure, but I would like to know what time/day you were planning these races. Also I do not currently own a wheel but i am getting one very soon. Hopefully this does not start up before I get it and maybe have some time to get used to it. I def. like clean racing so count me in.

PSN: Dragonschild81
 
I am interested for sure, but I would like to know what time/day you were planning these races. Also I do not currently own a wheel but i am getting one very soon. Hopefully this does not start up before I get it and maybe have some time to get used to it. I def. like clean racing so count me in.

PSN: Dragonschild81

Right now I'm thinking Tuesday nights at 9 EST. I am pretty much available any night so if this doesn't work for most people it can always be changed.
 
Right now I'm thinking Tuesday nights at 9 EST. I am pretty much available any night so if this doesn't work for most people it can always be changed.

Tuesday nights 9pm EST count me in!
 
Right now I'm thinking Tuesday nights at 9 EST. I am pretty much available any night so if this doesn't work for most people it can always be changed.

Hmm, that doesn't work for me as I work nights 10pm-6am. I may have to withdraw from this if the majority can race these hours. I will check in often to see how things continue.
 
Regulations updated. Dualshock drivers will now be allowed to race after they test with a moderator to show they can control their car consistently.

Map requirements added.

EDIT: A website is currently in the works to support the league.
 
Hey I noticed that on your stipulations you don't really address passing etiquette/right of way. Since you are going for clean and competitive, I think it should be posted before the first race so everyone is on the same page. I took passing rules out of a Skip Barber Formula Racing handbook and posted them on the first post on this thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=156175

You're welcome to check that out and if you want, copy and paste whatever you want
 
Hey I noticed that on your stipulations you don't really address passing etiquette/right of way. Since you are going for clean and competitive, I think it should be posted before the first race so everyone is on the same page. I took passing rules out of a Skip Barber Formula Racing handbook and posted them on the first post on this thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=156175

You're welcome to check that out and if you want, copy and paste whatever you want

Hm. I may add some passing guidelines, but it's mostly going to be using your best judgement. I don't want people to feel like they can't defend their position or battle. I will however be updating the regs shortly to include rules on blocking.

I'm looking to start the league premiere next week. We most likely won't have a full field but I wanna get this thing off the ground and get some racing started.
 
I would like to race in this league as well , that time works well for me, I'm a clean racer and I am looking for good racing everyday !
 
OK, been busy with school so I haven't had time to focus on this really. Gonna be doing just Tuesday nights at 9pm est until we get more people involved and can support a second series. Haven't had any progress on a website so we'll just have to keep communicating on here for now so I will be updating the first post with points standings etc.

The first season will be a spec championship. I still have to decide what the car is but I will have it chosen before Sunday so everyone can have a chance to practice with it. IF for some reason you do not have the funds pm me and I will get a car to you for the season.

We will be doing a 10 race championship once a week. Tracks will be mostly real world circuits. Points system will be based on the IZOD IndyCar Series points system. Look for an update to the OP for updated rules and regs.
 
I like the Championship idea. However I have a few q's, standpoints and opinions.

How about damage and grip reduction? I prefer damage set to "Heavy" and the grip reduction to "Real". Here is why: Heavy damage promotes careful and clean driving. It also adds the factor that "anything can happen" as IRL. Same goes for the grip reduction, one tends to be more concentated, which leads to high quality racing. Drivers that complain with statements like "If I crash during the formationlap my race is over" or "it's more fun without gripreduction set to real, because I can get back on track faster". Well, these drivers has nothing to do in a PROFESSIONAL racing league in my book.

Also, when driving the RM's, every driver should use a specific number on the car. Maybee sounds kind of silly, but it adds more personality, and it's also fun to recognize other drivers.

Startprocedure: I think that we should be doing rolling starts including a formationlap. If the race is 30 laps, just set it to 31 laps in the event settings. It also adds realism, and it's really a great feeling going slow for one lap, trying to get your tyre-temp up.
Pacecar?

Also, I think that we should race every 2 weeks. It adds exlusivity to each race. It takes some time to do races, do tests, setups a.s.o. And about the starttime. As it is now it quite much keeps the europeans (me beeing one) from participating. Esp if the races are beeing held on weekdays. So maybe a little earlier on weekdays, or about the same time but on weekends. Perhaps around 6 pm EST on weekdays, or if it's held on weekends I guess a start time between 6 pm to 8 pm is ok.

And are we going to use the same cars all season or is the idea that the car category is changing from one race to the other?
 
Last edited:
I like the Championship idea. However I have a few q's, standpoints and opinions.

How about damage and grip reduction? I prefer damage set to "Heavy" and the grip reduction to "Real". Here is why: Heavy damage promotes careful and clean driving. It also adds the factor that "anything can happen" as IRL. Same goes for the grip reduction, one tends to be more concentated, which leads to high quality racing. Drivers that complain with statements like "If I crash during the formationlap my race is over" or "it's more fun without gripreduction set to real, because I can get back on track faster". Well, these drivers has nothing to do in a PROFESSIONAL racing league in my book.

Also, when driving the RM's, every driver should use a specific number on the car. Maybee sounds kind of silly, but it adds more personality, and it's also fun to recognize other drivers.

Startprocedure: I think that we should be doing rolling starts including a formationlap. If the race is 30 laps, just set it to 31 laps in the event settings. It also adds realism, and it's really a great feeling going slow for one lap, trying to get your tyre-temp up.
Pacecar?

Also, I think that we should race every 2 weeks. It adds exlusivity to each race. It takes some time to do races, do tests, setups a.s.o. And about the starttime. As it is now it quite much keeps the europeans (me beeing one) from participating. Esp if the races are beeing held on weekdays. So maybe a little earlier on weekdays, or about the same time but on weekends. Perhaps around 6 pm EST on weekdays, or if it's held on weekends I guess a start time between 6 pm to 8 pm is ok.

And are we going to use the same cars all season or is the idea that the car category is changing from one race to the other?

First off, thank you. I had forgotten about most of this. :P

Damage will be set to heavy, as you said it promotes clean driving and consequences for mistakes. Likewise, grip will be set to "real" for the same reasons.

For the RM's, yes we will be using a number system. However, I don't think it will apply to the first season. I'm strongly leaning towards using the Lexus ISF racing concept for the spec car and it does not have a number plate. However you can change the color so for instance a team could run blue cars, but have them different shades to differentiate drivers. This car will be used all season.

I thought about rolling starts. Everyone would have to be very disciplined and I would have to come up with a procedure. I want to do a practice race this Tuesday to see how things go. As for the race day/time, it's impossible to get a time that suits everyone. As you said it keeps European's from participating, but if I move the time to say 6pm, most people are still working here in the US. I am planning on putting up a pole soon to see where people stand. I'm contemplating moving the race time to Friday night 9pm EST.

Last, I would actually prefer to race every two weeks. The problem is I don't want people to lose interest and drop out of the series because of the gap. Also, that takes a 10 race season and turns it into 20 weeks. That goes from 2 and a half months to 5 months. I want to make sure people stay committed to running the whole season.
 
im really interested in this league but just have a question, what day the race will be held?
 
Back