GTDesigned: A Community Vision GT Project

We'll going to add a series of poll for 3 days, for now the layout

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
IMG_1072.jpg
IMG_1074.jpg

This is as close to an end result that I'm going to get I guess. The carbon fiber rear end didn't turn out as good as I was hoping and I'm not sure how to connect the front wheels to the wings where they're supposed to be attached. That tail fin looks pretty good though :)

blender4.jpg
blender5.jpg
blender6.jpg

blender7.jpg

Needs some dark green paint.

And I bet a bolt on rear wing on the top of that tail fin would really give it a "Lockheed Starfighter" look to it (F-104)
----

Actually - It reminds me of the Bluebird K7 water speed record jet boat of Donald Campbell.
Bit of a waffle but the shape you have Eran0004 is evoking fast stuff in my sleep deprived cranium.

Do the front wheels need to be circular? Could be a rubberised track suspended inside a frictionless magnetic field - the track could be tear drop shaped to leave a long trail of rubber, increasing the contact patch.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how to connect the front wheels to the wings where they're supposed to be attached. That tail fin looks pretty good though :)

You could use a plate on the inside and /or outside of the wheels attached to the fin, but have no physical connection between the rim and the centre.
MagLev style where you use electromagnets within the plates/ rim and end of the wing "hub" to generate drive and/or braking power. no friction

That has me thinking, anyone know the pros and cons of 3 wheels vs. 4 wheels?

From my experience on 3 wheel ATV'S to Quads. The three wheelers didn't like turning downhill or declerating and turning, heaps more prone to tipping. The single rear will roll out the back under acceleration especially uphill. It's used by Can Am but not as quick or stable as four eg. X-bow. In saying that the single rear Morgan three wheeler looks fun to drive, more for style than speed.

That has me thinking, anyone know the pros and cons of 3 wheels vs. 4 wheels?

If you can make the 3-wheeled car lean in the corners I think it could compensate for the balance issue. It would also have to be heavier in the front than in the rear so that the single rear tyre can cope with the G's.

You could use a plate on the inside and /or outside of the wheels attached to the fin, but have no physical connection between the rim and the centre.
MagLev style where you use electromagnets within the plates/ rim and end of the wing "hub" to generate drive and/or braking power. no friction

That sounds cool. The plane-car would literally be flying :D

Edit: Fixed some of the weird stuff that was going on in the rear and made the canopy a little less black.

blender8.jpg

Last edited:
Possible or not, I absolutely LOVE this idea!

I'll quickly throw this in here (posted a while back in the VGT thread). Again, a 3 wheel design but a blend of bike/mech suit. Imagine driving it as though you were skiing or skating - crouching to go faster and leaning for corners etc etc.

Ignore the Honda logos, can be replaced with GTP emblem.

From my opinion, there are to much 'sportscars' and GT's as Vision GT's. Like any person who want to start their own car-brand, they all want to make a (super)sportscar at first. Why ?

I think it's a big challenge but not impossible to change the type/genre and make something what everyone could buy ; A citycar that could change the design-language of many car-brands. Something between the looks of the Smart Roadster, a practical car like a Mercedes B class and the handling of a Ford Focus RS. I'm one of the idiots who voted for FWD, because I think here's a lot to 'vision' about to make this type of drivetrain better to drive. Accelerating through a corner is sometimes funnier in a FWD than a RWD, because you can pull him trough, go on the throttle much earlier play with weight balances to reach/create a RWD over/understeer character.

I'm more interested in the inside of a community designed car than the outside styling. I'd love to see a huge turbo on a mid engine wenkel with an unrestricted version of formula 1 ERS. Using electricity to spool the turbo to reduce turbo lag on a rotary could be pretty fun. I'd also love active aero combined with our own version of s-ayc and a really balanced car. I mean all these crazy 3 wheel designs are cool and stuff, but what if we just made the most unassuming "Sleeper" in the VGT lineup. Very modest design but a monster fusing the technologies we love from all our favorite cars. Like what about the wheels as light as from the koenigsegg and an exhaust configuration similar to a zonda or the merc VGT for that beautiful exhaust note while still looking like a batmobile.

I'm more interested in the inside of a community designed car than the outside styling. I'd love to see a huge turbo on a mid engine wenkel with an unrestricted version of formula 1 ERS. Using electricity to spool the turbo to reduce turbo lag on a rotary could be pretty fun. I'd also love active aero combined with our own version of s-ayc and a really balanced car. I mean all these crazy 3 wheel designs are cool and stuff, but what if we just made the most unassuming "Sleeper" in the VGT lineup. Very modest design but a monster fusing the technologies we love from all our favorite cars. Like what about the wheels as light as from the koenigsegg and an exhaust configuration similar to a zonda or the merc VGT for that beautiful exhaust note while still looking like a batmobile.

Throw in the idea of running that wankel on hydrogen and you've truly got a VGT sort of powerplant.

For those who don't know, just about any internal combustion engine (sans 2 stroke) can use hydrogen for fuel. It's essentially the same idea as natural gas conversions. I used to help do those.

Personally I want something really wild like a nuclear fusion reactor that uses garbage for fuel powering small steam rotors at each wheel LOL. I mean if GM can run theirs on a laser... just sayin.

Nuke power would probably be extremely heavy and well impractical. How about a rocket so we can torch the competition! Just kidding. Now Natural gas on the other hand could work...

Wow, this thread is very cluttered with a lot of independent designs and ideas. I'd suggest that we work out a general concept (we know it's gonna be RWD, but FR? MR? RR?) like having the body type poll soon so we have a better general idea and consensus of what we're doing instead of being all over the place. 👍
On the topic of natural gas, what about recycled/biofuel? Natural gas is gonna run out soon, so it'd be cool to see alternatives used.
Just my 2 cents, I'd love to see how this comes out.

I look at the independent designs and ideas in this thread as inspiration for what needs inclusion in the polls. As well as improve our sketching skills.

Then once that process is complete and we know what the clients (us) want, we can submit final concepts for consideration by, and polling of, the community. We then need PD onboard.

It may go nowhere but, who cares if the process is fun and we develop some skills. :cheers:

Nice one guys.

Now while GM may have bucked the trend a little, here's a quote that really should be part of the design brief, plus may offer a very faint light at the end of the tunnel.

"The project started with a question from Kazunori Yamauchi: "Would you be willing to design your rendition of Gran Turismo for us?" The videogame’s name "Gran Turismo" (GT) refers to a 2-door sport car, known as a Grand Touring car in the automotive world.
The manufacturers who have answered our call are now delivering new Grand Touring cars in succession. “Vision Gran Turismo” is a 15th anniversary celebration that will be hosted by Gran Turismo, car manufacturers and users around the globe."
http://www.gran-turismo.com/au/products/gt6/vgt/

Faint light? Not sure.
'Hosted' by 'users'?
I think we all recognise it's an uphill battle to get a community design into the game, but a curious bit of wording nevertheless.
Anyway, make of that what you will.

I know we are supposed to be designing it; but I'm going to show a toy car that I think would be incredible as a real car, for your inspiration. @eran0004 See if you can incorporate this :D
solar_racers_1.jpg

This is as close to an end result that I'm going to get I guess. The carbon fiber rear end didn't turn out as good as I was hoping and I'm not sure how to connect the front wheels to the wings where they're supposed to be attached. That tail fin looks pretty good though :)

View attachment 265630 View attachment 265632 View attachment 265633
View attachment 265636
Good job with the 3D modeling and all but I think this would be sooooo tail happy that would be undriveable in real life. Imagine a 60's f1 car with only one rear wheel instead of two.

Back