GTP Cool Wall: 2010+ Alfa Romeo MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jahgee
  • 73 comments
  • 6,631 views

2010+ Alfa Romeo MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde


  • Total voters
    119
  • Poll closed .
That's seriously uncool.

I can almost accept you calling the Mito uncool (though not for a single one of the reasons you gave) but utter one single bad word about the RS500, so help me God!

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the angry dome!

angry-dome.gif
 
That doesn't matter. The layout is not cool to begin with.

I refuse to look at the statistics of a car that's being polled. I base my opinion on what a person on the street would say. And, needless to say, I don't think a average joe bystander is going to give a flying fish what wheels the power is being sent to.
 
I really hate the FWD uncool argument.

If my girlfriend and I are walking and one of these drives by, she (not having much car knowledge) isn't going to say "What an uncool car. It's front wheel drive. The driver must be stupid."

She's going to say "Hey, what kind of car is that? I like the little clover on the side. That's a cool little car."

Only about 1% of people most likely would know that it's front wheel drive. Or that it has a 4 cylinder engine.

Sometimes I think people mix up what they "like in a car" with what's "cool in a car."
 
I am hesitating between a cool and a meh...

I am swingging back and forth...

...

...

...

...



To the car connoisseur, this car, aside from its tempting physic compared to its peers, is not that much more special...

To the average person, its a fashion statement.

I am gonna give it a cool, because in most situation, this car isnt such a bad choice...
 
Well, I love Alfas, and I love Quadrifoglio Alfas even more. On the other hand, coolness isn't about me liking it, it's about what general consensus is.

So, trying to set my own drooling affection aside, I read through this thread to find my answer.

The uncool voters predictably yammered on about how bad FWD and 4-cylinders are. In other words, stuff that people in general don't give a hoot about.

The cool voters pointed out this car's striking good looks, the aura that Italian cars in general and Alfas in particular have, the fact that the fairer sex generally likes it, and that it makes a wonderful sound as it romps around. In other words, stuff that people in general will notice, and base their opinion on.

So, it's cool. Undeniably, solidly cool. Add my own adoration of it back into the mix, and it all adds up to subzero :D
 
Last edited:
Perfectly capable small hatch with added continental European flair. Would be relatively cool on that basis. What drags the MiTo down for me though (both in terms of the actual car and its coolness) is that, over here at least, it is rather expensive for what is basically a Fiat Punto underneath; the Quadrifoglio even more so. Spinning off from that, its chassis means it was never gonna look quite proportioned. It's by no means ugly at all, but its hardly full of design creativity like older Alfas or even the Giulietta for that matter.

That said, I do like Cloverleaf Alfas, since they can pass off being sporty and aggressive without being too vulgar, and it does work wonders on the MiTo. And it is still somehow rather nice, even if it is a bit bland in places and possibly naff underneath. Hmm... gonna give it a low cool. Was gonna go meh, but I do like the styling changes enough for me to bump it up slightly.
 
Gets a meh, I see nothing relevant and not much special. Looks are also meh, would be bad looking next to other Alfas.
 
Overrated Alfa. You can get more power with other, larger hatchbacks. Also very ugly, and no manual offered.

Uncool.
 
Cool.
 
Seriously uncool, as 90% of hatchbacks are to me.

Not feeling any Alfa magic off this one. :sly:
 
Hot hatches are even less cool because they try too hard to be good.
Slowly back away, everyone.

This was lovely but the shine's been taken off the MiTo recently with some truly awful models.
So it's just a meh.
 
FWD is not cool.

Nope. Double nope.

Slash's vote on the Fulvia: Cool.

4 cylinders are not cool.

Nope. Double nope. Triple nope.

You even voted SZ, Cool, and SZ, respectively.

Ugly cars are not cool.
Nope.

Another you voted SZ...

Hatchbacks are not cool (typically).
Nope (though I suppose it's hardly typical :lol:. The GTI, though...).

Compacts are not cool.
Nope.

...

Just barely gets a Cool. An interesting choice in its class, but probably not a wise one.
 
Solid cool from me. I absolutely love the looks of this car.

And it's a 4-seat, 3-door hatchback, not 3-seat.
 
Nope. All 4 cylinders are not cool. Don't give a damn how much power they make. That doesn't mean there aren't some that sound good.





That's seriously uncool.




Hot hatches are even less cool because they try too hard to be good.

Well if you want to ignore FWD you are ignoring the majority of motoring.
 
That doesn't matter. The layout is not cool to begin with.

Why, did Jmoney take over your account?

Nope. Double nope.

Slash's vote on the Fulvia: Cool.



Nope. Double nope. Triple nope.

You even voted SZ, Cool, and SZ, respectively.


Nope.

Another you voted SZ...


Nope (though I suppose it's hardly typical :lol:. The GTI, though...).


Nope.

...

Just barely gets a Cool. An interesting choice in its class, but probably not a wise one.

Doesn't work like that Slipz, I've called him out on another criteria before that he wasn't consistent with and he informed us that he takes the Niky route, thus not consistent at all and does thing on a case by case.

Niky is just funny though.
 
My only problem with this car is that it's called a "Verde" and is clearly red. I know enough about Mexican food to know verde is supposed to be green.

Past that, it's cool.
 
My only problem with this car is that it's called a "Verde" and is clearly red. I know enough about Mexican food to know verde is supposed to be green.
It's because Quadrifoglio Verde = Green Four-leaf Clover in english. :p
 
Meh for me. Would get a low cool but nah. It's a nice hatchback but doesn't really work for me.
 
I wouldn't call this "the very definition of seriously uncool", but it's pretty bad.
 
I absolutely love Italian hot hatches, but this one isn't quite "hot" enough, though it looks good. Solid Cool.
 
This is what they replaced the 159/Brera design language with. Yuck. Very uncool indeed.

TBH and IMO, the Brera design is Yuck.
I prefer this little car over the Brera.

I dont know why, but i have ALWAYS hated, and still do, the Brera.

A large hatchback 3 doors...huge front overhang, fat rear... i dont see what is attractive in that package.

But thats only my two unsignificant cents on this... so ignore me.
 
A voted a solid cool--looks like everyone else did, too.
 
TBH and IMO, the Brera design is Yuck.
I prefer this little car over the Brera.

I dont know why, but i have ALWAYS hated, and still do, the Brera.

A large hatchback 3 doors...huge front overhang, fat rear... i dont see what is attractive in that package.

But thats only my two unsignificant cents on this... so ignore me.

I agree, the Brera looks incredibly odd. I don't the the point of such a large coupe that's supposed to be a hatchback. Or maybe an offroad-type vehicle? It has 4WD. I just don't get the Brera.

Anyway the little MiTo also loses coolness because of the captialized "T" in the middle of it's name. I hate it when brands do that, it looks stupid and it makes people pronounce it weird. Like the Volkswagen Up! or the Kia Cee'd or the Audi TT quattro. What are the companies trying to accomplish by doing that?

The Mito isn't SU because it's Italian. Cars from Italy are never seriously uncool.
 
Along with the BINI, DS3 and the 500, this is one of the 'fashion cars' as I call them. They were bought as an image item, and a lot of the people who buy them do so trying to be cool and look good.

For me that makes it's uncool, as you don't try to be cool, you either are or not. Might seem stupid to some people but it's what I think.

Uncool, a 147/156/159 is a thousand times cooler than this.
 
Low cool, on the basis that someone buying a MiTo has actively chosen not to buy the default Fiesta/Corsa/Clio/208/Polo/etc.

Also, I've driven the pre-facelift Cloverleaf and it was pretty good fun. Fun, small Alfa = cool.
 
Ugly. Low profile tyres look stupid. Uncool.
 
This is what they replaced the 159/Brera design language with. Yuck. Very uncool indeed.

This is the problem, for me.

Not that I liked the Brera. The Concept was fantastic. The production version was more like a Batman actor in a fake muscle-suit. It may look something like the concept, but you look closely enough and it's evident that something's gone missing.

But still, that was a compelling design language. This new one... takes some getting used to. The MiTo looks decent enough, but it's not a compelling look.

Meh.
 
I agree, the Brera looks incredibly odd. I don't the the point of such a large coupe that's supposed to be a hatchback. Or maybe an offroad-type vehicle? It has 4WD. I just don't get the Brera.

I think Alfa's idea for the Brera was the opposite; a conventional hatchback that looked like a coupe - although whether it worked is a matter of opinion. Plus, the 4WD was more of a safety net in case of sudden losses of grip (in the wet for instance) rather than for off-road use or even performance. Most quattro-laden Audis are similar in the regard.
 
Back