GTP Cool Wall: Results (read OP)

• Thread starter Snikle
  • 293 comments
This is a random question being asked at a random time, but is there anything, at all, that anyone would like to be added to or changed in the Cool Wall that I should consider?
Maybe instead of 2 polls every other day, you could go with 1 a day.

I'll let you know if I think I can do it, I'm still not sure how much free time I'm going to have.

Quick update I just moved and started a new job so I haven't had much time to work on the formula but I might be able to get you a .exe file and the right supporting software early next week so you can run a virtual instrument that will, ideally, calculate the classification value and write it to a spreadsheet file without having to actually purchase a copy of LabVIEW. As part of my training for the new job we get more than a full week of LabVIEW training (it's our highest profile product and most of our hardware runs it) and tomorrow we're learning how to run a VI as a .exe so I'll try and have a play around with that feature.

If I were to take over the cool wall I'd probably refine it further and make it a bit more stringent and truer to the original TG formula so I'm probably a bit too picky to be a good curator, but if I have the time I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Someone capable of making radical changes on a whim. :dopey:

I had expressed interest in taking over some months back. And while I'll have plenty of free time between now and the beginning of December, I may find myself down one internet connection at some point in October.

If that turns out to be the case, then I'll probably keep nominations open and let the queue build up a bit until I return as it's looking rather scarce at the moment. At this rate I'll be seeing the wall to its final resting place.

Turns out the 964 Turbo was barely edged out by its predecessor today:

turbo.png

/JustNeatResultThings

I suggest combining Steve McQueen's Garage into Lord Kelvin's Ice Box, and Hell into the River Styx. I also suggest renaming the River Styx to Hell.
Just throw the river styx in hell? And the ice box in the garage, of course. :)

In light of a few choice posts made in the Aries thread, the number of Cool Wall categories has now been cut down from nine to seven.

I suggest combining Steve McQueen's Garage into Lord Kelvin's Ice Box, and Hell into the River Styx. I also suggest renaming the River Styx to Hell.

That's pretty much all I ever intended to change. However convoluted it may still be compared to your ideal configuration.

A number of spreadsheet issues have also been resolved with the help of @Tornado. Both the old and new placements will remain visible there.

So, outlawing all drivable concepts and pre-production model nominations in the near future.

Yay or nay?

Don't give a warning when you do ban them, don't allow people to have 1 more nomination like race cars either, because then it's gonna be a solid 10 nominations of nothing but stupid concept cars that people are trying to get at the bottom

Honestly @Wiegert, you should never allowed the Elibrea to be polled, because nominating a vaporware supercar that is vulgar looking just so it can be sent to Hell does nothing but abuse the Cool Wall system.

don't allow people to have 1 more nomination like race cars either, because then it's gonna be a solid 10 nominations of nothing but stupid concept cars that people are trying to get at the bottom

There'd be a greater chance of me growing a second head than following through with that idea. Don't you worry.

Honestly @Wiegert, you should never allowed the Elibrea to be polled, because nominating a vaporware supercar that is vulgar looking just so it can be sent to Hell does nothing but abuse the Cool Wall system.

And what of existing production models that are arguably just as vulgar being nominated? Should I simply reject anything I assume would leave a bad taste in people's mouths and likely to end up in the lowest tier? Can the same even be said about people trying to trump the Miura at the other end?

The Elibriea didn't break concept nomination criteria. The specs were reasonable enough that I can assume they're legit (more so than the imaginary specs for the intended production car), unlike some previous nominations that made it through with almost no relevant information whatsoever.

If folk openly admit that they're nominating a car in attempt to reach the very bottom of hell, I'm obviously more likely to say they should give it a rest and re-evaluate their choice. With this however, I was hoping to gauge reactions that could have implications for the future of concept nominations. That it could take something as unsightly as this to push peoples buttons and call for an end to non-production vehicles. Regardless of evidence proving their driveability.

I'm indifferent about the fate of eligible concepts appearing on the CW if I'm honest. But if most want them gone from future polls, I will act accordingly.

When were concepts even allowed? The only one I remember doing that was questionable was the Xenia coachbuild/prototype.

Yes, shut them down. Retroactive to the latest one.

EDIT: Looking back at it, you have even more reason to bury me. Nothing I did has been beneficial. I'm sorry.

Last edited:
EDIT: Looking back at it, you have even more reason to bury me. Nothing I did has been beneficial. I'm sorry.

Far more annoying than any minor thing you did with the Cool Wall that people disagreed with is the constant whining you do about it to try and get people to hate you. Get some help, seriously.

Far more annoying than any minor thing you did with the Cool Wall that people disagreed with is the constant whining you do about it to try and get people to hate you. Get some help, seriously.
I don't try to whine, though looking back I see it now, all I'm trying to do is apologize for screwing up something that worked fine that I gave up out of frustration. I also don't try to get people to hate me, I assume everyone does at all times and all I can do is lessen it somewhat. It sounds idiotic, and is as well, but I manage at least one idiotic thing a day so it fits.

You are right, as always, so I'll knock off the pitiful drivel.

Don't give a warning when you do ban them, don't allow people to have 1 more nomination like race cars either, because then it's gonna be a solid 10 nominations of nothing but stupid concept cars that people are trying to get at the bottom

Banning right off the bat is a bit too harsh. If anybody gives a nomination of a single racecar or concept car, give them a single warning and removal of the post. Happens again, there will be no second chances.

There'd be a greater chance of me growing a second head than following through with that idea. Don't you worry.

And what of existing production models that are arguably just as vulgar being nominated? Should I simply reject anything I assume would leave a bad taste in people's mouths and likely to end up in the lowest tier? Can the same even be said about people trying to trump the Miura at the other end?

The Elibriea didn't break concept nomination criteria. The specs were reasonable enough that I can assume they're legit (more so than the imaginary specs for the intended production car), unlike some previous nominations that made it through with almost no relevant information whatsoever.

If folk openly admit that they're nominating a car in attempt to reach the very bottom of hell, I'm obviously more likely to say they should give it a rest and re-evaluate their choice. With this however, I was hoping to gauge reactions that could have implications for the future of concept nominations. That it could take something as unsightly as this to push peoples buttons and call for an end to non-production vehicles. Regardless of evidence proving their driveability.

I'm indifferent about the fate of eligible concepts appearing on the CW if I'm honest. But if most want them gone from future polls, I will act accordingly.
What really bugs me about this whole Elibrea thing is that the nominator nominated it just so it can go to hell. Nominating an ugly car to see how many SU votes it gets is pointless and stupid. I didn't nominate the Aries because I wanted it to go to Hell, nor did I want a 520-page explosion, I nominated it because it was my own car. Having no idea of what people think of a said car makes the Cool Wall interesting. But nominating a car where 95% of people vote SU is not.

Back