GTP GT5 Photomode FAQ & Tutorial Depot - Answers to questions here!

• Thread starter SlipZtrEm
  • 391 comments
Any ideas for taking/timing "backfire" pics properly since we can't stop the replay at any particular moment? I've been trying to stop the the replay right before the car brakes which is usually when backfire occurs, but even this is hard to achieve since the option menu is right in the way of the exhaust blocking its view..

That's all you get. Keep pressing select, you won't get "cockpit" view, but will get two ot three different views from the inside of the car and your driver.

mmm strange..yea i got all the different camera views but not one of them was inside of the car. Is it only at a certain stage? cause some parts of teh track have 2 views some 14

Any ideas for taking/timing "backfire" pics properly since we can't stop the replay at any particular moment? I've been trying to stop the the replay right before the car brakes which is usually when backfire occurs, but even this is hard to achieve since the option menu is right in the way of the exhaust blocking its view..

pause a bunch of times where the car's about to backfire.. hope you manage to time it right, that's how I did it back in GT4.

pause a bunch of times where the car's about to backfire.. hope you manage to time it right, that's how I did it back in GT4.

Yeah, that's exactly what I tried doing, but the menu "task bar" is right in the way of the exhaust blocking the view of a possible backfire. I know you can get a full screen view free of anything in the way, but as soon as you press pause(select) the menu bar on the bottom comes up again. It's pretty tricky to time it.

Maybe someone could help me with these questions:

I was wondering if someone found a way of exporting more than 1 photo at a time from the game to XMB? Because this can be a real pain...

Also, I use a usb flash memory pen and even when I don't have anything on it, when copying the photos from XMB to my pen, I will always get a message warning me that there's already a folder with that name and asks if I want to replace it, etc.
And then, occasionally, after transfering the photos, nothing will appear on the drive. (other than that, the pen drive always worked flawlessly)
Anyone had this problem as well?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe someone could help me with these questions:

I was wondering if someone found a way of exporting more than 1 photo at a time from the game to XMB? Because this can be a real pain...

Also, I use a usb flash memory pen and even when I don't have anything on it, when copying the photos from XMB to my pen, I will always get a message warning me that there's already a folder with that name and asks if I want to replace it, etc.
And then, occasionally, after transfering the photos, nothing will appear on the drive. (other than that, the pen drive always worked flawlessly)
Anyone had this problem as well?

Thanks in advance.
Yeah I found that very annoying as well, and it doesn't seem to have other option rather than exporting each photo one at a time. When I copy photos from XMB to USB, it always asked if I want to replace or rename, because each photo taking from the same track/location using the same file name. I just let it rename, so the system can assign a number at the end of the file name.

On that subject of transferring to XMB/USB; I've added another Q&A to the original post detailing the method there.

Also will go about adding where all the Photo Travel locations are unlocked from. I can't figure out what unlocked Kyoto Shore-nin, though; is it B-Spec's Japanese Classics being completed? That's when I won it...

Excellent post, thank you very much, Is it possible/allowed to post photos on this site? I would love to share some of my pics with you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your answers. And on that note, the FAQ is great. 👍

Also will go about adding where all the Photo Travel locations are unlocked from. I can't figure out what unlocked Kyoto Shore-nin, though; is it B-Spec's Japanese Classics being completed? That's when I won it...
I haven't got a clue as well...

Question ,When magnification is set to 2 what does that mean .Oh and how about some tips on how/when to use certain Filters.

Question ,When magnification is set to 2 what does that mean .Oh and how about some tips on how/when to use certain Filters.
Magnification x2 doubles the size of the image, so it's 3840x2160. Only available in Photo Travel. Took me a while to figure that out myself, so I only have one picture that size so far.. hehe.

As for filters.. it's up to personal opinion there. Me, I rarely use them at all, preferring to do the work myself in Photoshop. I do have one "cool" photo and one "miniature" photo, but the rest are all barebones. Most of the filters, especially the cool/warm ones, are way too overdone.. I can do a similar, but more subtle, version of that in Photoshop myself.

Any tips on where to upload images? Should add something to the front-page FAQ on good image-hosting sites. I have a handful I'd like to share. :)

Magnification x2 doubles the size of the image, so it's 3840x2160. Only available in Photo Travel. Took me a while to figure that out myself, so I only have one picture that size so far.. hehe.

As for filters.. it's up to personal opinion there. Me, I rarely use them at all, preferring to do the work myself in Photoshop. I do have one "cool" photo and one "miniature" photo, but the rest are all barebones. Most of the filters, especially the cool/warm ones, are way too overdone.. I can do a similar, but more subtle, version of that in Photoshop myself.

Any tips on where to upload images? Should add something to the front-page FAQ on good image-hosting sites. I have a handful I'd like to share. :)

Thanks for the help only done the magnififcation thing once also :D took a longer time to lad the image so I though something must have happened.I am no photoshop expert but I use the Filters alot actually just seem to increase the realsim of the shots.

Anyone have a good photoshop technique to remove the jaggies? I can do it just fine with a lot of brushing and cloning but it's very tedious. Wondering if someone has found a quicker way that yields nice results?

Hi all,

Has anyone taken photos within an online lounge session? I wanted to get some pictures of my friends and I racing, but when the race finished it went straight back to the lounge? Is this just the occasional glitch mentioned in the FAQ? Many thanks in advance!

Really? It's the 5th Q&A on the list... :)

Q: How about hosting our images online?
A: Many users use ImageShack, Photobucket, or Flickr to host their shots. In addition, read Nicknamealguem's excellent how-to post on posting your images here, including previews for competitions (Imageshack example used).

Thank you lift off. I'm actually in the process of fleshing out that question; besides Nick's how-to for Imageshack, I'm adding the process for getting thumbnails from Flickr. It's pretty easy, but hopefully this minimizes the amount of questions people have. If more people read the first post, that is...

Anyone have a good photoshop technique to remove the jaggies? I can do it just fine with a lot of brushing and cloning but it's very tedious. Wondering if someone has found a quicker way that yields nice results?

Are you familar/comfortable with the pen tool? For jaggies on the car bodies it's my go-to, but for jaggies like the low-res particle effects... it's less helpful. As soon as I find a method that works uniformly with for as many applications as it can, I'll get to work on a nice tutorial :).

Hi all,

Has anyone taken photos within an online lounge session? I wanted to get some pictures of my friends and I racing, but when the race finished it went straight back to the lounge? Is this just the occasional glitch mentioned in the FAQ? Many thanks in advance!

It will go straight back to the lounge... and then you click the race results tab. There you can save the replay. If after the race the screen seems to do a "reset", and the results table for you and your friends lists a bunch of you "running" and looks like the race has started over again... that's the glitch I mentioned. Can't seem to pinpoint why that happens, yet.

How-to: Post a flickr Thumbnail

Flickr actually provides the easiest and most straight-forward approach for posting thread-friendly thumbnails. Uploaded your shot already? Awesome, view it and hit the Share this tab. Hit the Grab the HTML/BBCode option, and select the BBCode option from there. Handily enough, the default size this spits out is never more than 500 pixels either way, which is exactly what the competitions require. So, you've got what you see below:

gtppmcflickrwalkthrough.jpg

Simply copy what is highlighted (all of it), and then post it in the forums (with the requisite FINAL ENTRY if posting in a competition). You'll end up with the following:

F40 @ (Wet) Nurburgring - 01 by slipztrem, on Flickr

A perfectly-sized thumbnail and you didn't even have to fiddle with an editing program! People can click on the image, and it will take them to the main Flickr page for it, where they can view it in an assortment of sizes. Hope this helps!​

Last edited:
I figured out some things related to taking better pics of standard cars:
1. Going to vertical format (in the camera menu - don't forget to change to a 16:9 ratio for the greatest real estate, photo-wise) and then manually rotating the frame to the horizontal extends the zoom restriction for standard cars allowing you to get closer shots than you could normally - warning: that restriction is there for a good reason; seeing how bad some of these 6 year old 3D models (and the low-res textures they're mapped with) look may raise your blood pressure to dangerous levels.

To fix this somewhat...
2. Use the miniature effect filter and lower the exposure to -6 or so will help with the dreaded smoke aliasing, and experiment with shutter speed as shown here:

Looks like I went too low on the exposure setting there...

Thanks for the help! Now to perfect my art. I think I'm getting better.

If only I could figure out how to unlock all the locations.

For the photo travel locations on the first post, I haven't unlocked the following:

• Ahrweiler - Bad Neuenahr
• Ahrweiler - Lennepark
• Ahrweiler - Marktplaz
• Ahrweiler - Niedertor
• Bern - Kramgasse
• Kyoto - Shirakawa Tatsumibashi
• Nürburg - Nürburg Castle
• Shakado Pass`

I've golded every event unlocked so far (except Alfa 8C Grand Tour @ Eiger). Any idea how to unlock them? I have a hunch they may be tied to your car count/mileage/level somehow (IIRC that's how I got the Kyoto Shoren-in location).

This isn't strictly FAQ related, but I'm sure it holds at least a little value because it deals with how GT5 images might behave incorrectly (or not at all) with certain software. I posted it in the HDR topic so I'll just quote myself:

Alright so I found out why Photoshop can't handle GT5 images when it comes to HDR processing. Gran Turismo is writing incorrect EXIF data to the files, so high exposure shots might have data labeling them as low exposure or vice versa. Photoshop uses these values to produce the HDR image so obviously incorrect numbers means it's going to go horribly wrong.

The only solution I can see (aside from not using Photoshop) is to find an EXIF editing program. This is probably harder for me being on a Mac, but if anyone finds one or knows how to edit the HEX values I'm sure it'd help out more people than just myself :)

Back