GTP & GTS EXCLUSIVE Gran Turismo 5 Retail Overview (SIXTH final Update)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 1,904 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
In reply to robulus:
When driving, generally you see your hands, the wheel, side mirror and passenger section just out of your peripheral view. I think its "realistic" that the game fits as much as you would see IRL on-screen as can fit. I know, I was driving a real car earlier.

OK I need to get this off my chest, because it's been really bugging me.

Isn't cockpit view kind of the dumbest thing ever?

I mean, it looks great in replays, and its one way to show off the graphics capabilities of the game.

But in terms of realism, you're sitting there in a cockpit, holding a steering wheel, looking at a pair of hands 3 feet in front of you holding a steering wheel, which is kind of mad. Its not like you would realistically have that much of the dash and wheel constantly in your vision IRL. Plus the cockpit blocks out like a third of the view.

I always drive with bumper and have no intention of changing, so a lot of the view discussion goes over my head, although I completely understand its a big deal to a lot of people.

I guess I'm just interested to hear if anyone feels the same way, or if I'm totally out of line...

Its an interesting situation. If you're watching the game in front of you your brain blocks out the real world situation.

When you can see the cockpit and the wheel on the screen, you don't notice the real wheel in front of you.

What you DO notice is your inputs and the reactions to the those inputs shown to you both visually (screen), physically (force feedback) and through the speakers (sound).

If you've never used a cockpit view before then it will seem odd. But consider the way you use a mouse. You use it all the time to operate your computer. Your hand movements translate into the movement of the pointer on screen. You never really consider your hand actually on the mouse, moving round. Your thoughts just translate straight into the feedback you receive via the screen.

There's scientific names and what not for these situations, but the above example will hopefully suffice...? lol

Its an interesting situation. If you're watching the game in front of you your brain blocks out the real world situation.

When you can see the cockpit and the wheel on the screen, you don't notice the real wheel in front of you.

What you DO notice is your inputs and the reactions to the those inputs shown to you both visually (screen), physically (force feedback) and through the speakers (sound).

If you've never used a cockpit view before then it will seem odd. But consider the way you use a mouse. You use it all the time to operate your computer. Your hand movements translate into the movement of the pointer on screen. You never really consider your hand actually on the mouse, moving round. Your thoughts just translate straight into the feedback you receive via the screen.

There's scientific names and what not for these situations, but the above example will hopefully suffice...? lol

The replays look awesome. I'll just have to try it and see. Not long to wait...

if the datatransfer doesn't work you could also try a one on one disk copy by connecting the two drives to a pc and using a program that can clone harddrives, only i don't know if the software install is influenced by the fact that you use both the fat ps3 and the slim one.
PS3 data transfer options specifically states that you can even transfer copy protected savefiles between machines. So, it should work.

I mean, it looks great in replays, and its one way to show off the graphics capabilities of the game.

But in terms of realism, you're sitting there in a cockpit, holding a steering wheel, looking at a pair of hands 3 feet in front of you holding a steering wheel, which is kind of mad. Its not like you would realistically have that much of the dash and wheel constantly in your vision IRL. Plus the cockpit blocks out like a third of the view.

I'm with you, when I play using a wheel... that wheel (and my desk) is my car/dashboard, and the monitor is my windscreen. To then see another wheel/dash/screen behind the windscreen would be odd. Cockpit view is great for controller use, but for wheel use I'll go with bumper cam.

PS3 data transfer options specifically states that you can even transfer copy protected savefiles between machines. So, it should work.

Yup, both backup and data transfer include protected saves. I did both last year.

You guys saying cockpit view is like having a second wheel to look at need to move your monitor closer to you.

Your brain cancels out the physical wheel you're holding onto unless you pay attention to that real wheel and not the screen ahead of you.

You guys saying cockpit view is like having a second wheel to look at need to move your monitor closer to you.

Your brain cancels out the physical wheel you're holding onto unless you pay attention to that real wheel and not the screen ahead of you.

When you're in a real car, does your brain cancel out the physical wheel and then project a virtual one in front of it? Nope. When you drive a car, your hands are touching the wheel, then in front of that is some glass (represented here by a TV screen) then in front of that is the road. Nothing else.

In real life there isn't a screen portraying a car interior and steering wheel. There's no need for your brain to ignore something that doesn't exist.

Do some reading on input devices. Consider how you use a mouse or a game controller.

When you play a FPS do you concentrate on the keyboard and mouse? No. Your brain ignores it. They're input devices and your brain ignores them.

In real life there isn't a screen portraying a car interior and steering wheel. There's no need for your brain to ignore something that doesn't exist.

Do some reading on input devices. Consider how you use a mouse or a game controller.

When you play a FPS do you concentrate on the keyboard and mouse? No. Your brain ignores it. They're input devices and your brain ignores them.

The most realistic view of what you see while actually racing in real life is still the bumper cam.

When you are focusing in such great detail on a task your visual field is a very small area, the area of the road ahead of you. The details of the cockpit will not be focused or concentrated on, if they are you are not ripping hard enough.

Yes I have done reading on these things, watched experiments in driving simulators (MS.c in Psychology), and from first hand experience.

If we may go a step further, real or in game, the wheel can actually be a distraction. Just like F1 cars (in real life) technically have the best view because there are less distraction and one can better see where the car is exactly... .

I always drive with bumper and have no intention of changing, so a lot of the view discussion goes over my head, although I completely understand its a big deal to a lot of people.

I guess I'm just interested to hear if anyone feels the same way, or if I'm totally out of line...

Agreed, this is why I prefer hood cam... My feet are up against my TV stand just as they would be the wheel wells and firewall of the car... where I want the camera to be...

Agreed, this is why I prefer hood cam... My feet are up against my TV stand just as they would be the wheel wells and firewall of the car... where I want the camera to be...

Even in games that have hood cam I still find myself using just the bumper cam even though the hood cam is probably the most realistic cam location.

Now onto fast Q&A:
You didn't answer my question!
Amar, I have an important question...
In GT4, there were cars you couldn't race in (i.e:Jay Leno Tank Car,Caterham 7 fireblade,etc). Have you come across any yet?

different people like different views

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks amar. Nice with some qualified research. Can't wait to see it with my own eyes. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I managed to get a copy of GT5.
The game is magnificent, I love the feeling that the game gives in driving, we understand very well the behavior of the car and know the corrections we have to give it to keep it on track.

I can not find the famous installation option, where is it?

And have a little repair to do that I think has not yet been spoken, the graphics are fabulous and frame rate seem to be very stable, but sometimes can occur frametears which is a shame for a game that is so magnificent, it´s a pity the PD was unable to remove the torn frames.

@Amar, could you give us the details of how to install the blank wav file that you made available to download for license tests. Where, how file names etc

I would like to get to the license tests without any hassle:tup:

@Amar. I have a question, or for who know, something that bug me in many race games.
This GT5, have or not the P.O.V. settings?:nervous: (Point of View), inside the cockpit or in bumper view for example. How the view settings work in this case.
Thanks

@Amar. I have a question, or for who know, something that bug me in many race games.
This GT5, have or not the P.O.V. settings?:nervous: (Point of View), inside the cockpit or in bumper view for example. How the view settings work in this case.
Thanks
Read his first post. He specifically talks about it.

That totally doesn't make sense. You're telling me to ignore the physical wheel I'm holding? Why? The whole point in it being there is that it's more realistic and closer to life, you're supposed to notice it because that's what makes the driving better.

Are you honestly trying to suggest that holding a controller and looking at a virtual wheel is closer to realism than holding a physical wheel and looking at a virtual road?

The equivalent analog in an FPS is the gun being displayed on the screen. Would you rather have it there, with an aim button to raise up the iron sights, or would you prefer only a hud + crosshair?

uso
I can not find the famous installation option, where is it?
I don't have the game yet, but from what I understand, the game begins installing automatically if there is room on the hard drive for it. I believe everyone says it needs 10 gigabytes. If the game doesn't see this available on your PS3, it won't install anything.

I don't have the game yet, but from what I understand, the game begins installing automatically if there is room on the hard drive for it. I believe everyone says it needs 10 gigabytes. If the game doesn't see this available on your PS3, it won't install anything.

It's in the options menu.

@ FoolKiller: Oh yes, I know, but he talk only about forward and backward view. But what I would like to know (I forget to mention was the height setting, sry about this), is if we can adjust the height point of view. And therefore, would be modified to match our vision for the environment that surrounds us, mainly to see the other cars.

Anyway, thanks:tup:

There's 3 setting to interior view from what I could see.
normal, closer and even closer to wheel. Nothing like FM3 where you can set it at the angle you want. Or at least I didnt saw it.

@ RX-7_FD3S: Yes thats true. I have the FM3 too, but you only adjust the angle if you make some legal :) "cheating", when adjust the multimonitor settings.Because in game settings, you can't do.
When we not have this kind of setting, especially in FM3, we see the others cars to much low, not real IMO, even if you drive with bump view you can almost see the car ahead top roof :lol:(to much arcade in this subject). And PD make here a very good job in this matter for what I can see in some videos, offer another visual emmersion to the game. I know this are details, but for me, and not so, they are very important details to feel de game. But the GT5 don't have the option to go vertically from what I see too now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back