GTP iRacing Events

• Thread starter Kevin01SH
  • 147 comments
What setup are you guys running for the Mustang? I was thinking about running the Mustang because I figure being the fastest is probably also the safest as you have the most control of what's going on around you. But I just can't seem to get comfortable enough that I feel like I could run a 60 minute race without putting it into a wall. Probably mostly driver incompetence (it's been a long time since I raced the Mustang in anger), but maybe a nice set could help.

At the moment I'm defaulting to the MX5 because I can drive that all day without crashing, but I'd really like to be able to run the Mustang.

Imari, I can share my setup tomorrow night. I'm not sure if it's any good and I'm still fighting oversteer on the exit, but I'll let you have it.

I read somewhere that softening the rear bump on the shocks helps to get the rear end more stable? Also, is your car unstable under braking, turn in, or on the exit?

The tune has me lapping in the mid 2:05's with an optimal of a mid 2:04; I just need to put the darn lap together.

Hope to see some of you guys tomorrow night. It will be refreshing to be on the track without so many knuckleheads. LOL

Both? I know the Kia is quite close, but I wasn't thinking the Honda was that close...

But this is a bit off topic :P Anyone plan on hosting a race this weekend?
The Honda hasn't been scanned yet, so it's looking more and more like next year...
Imari, I can share my setup tomorrow night. I'm not sure if it's any good and I'm still fighting oversteer on the exit, but I'll let you have it.

I read somewhere that softening the rear bump on the shocks helps to get the rear end more stable? Also, is your car unstable under braking, turn in, or on the exit?

The tune has me lapping in the mid 2:05's with an optimal of a mid 2:04; I just need to put the darn lap together.

Hope to see some of you guys tomorrow night. It will be refreshing to be on the track without so many knuckleheads. LOL

You're flying out there John! I think I'm happy with a 06.4 quali, my optimum is at 05.7 right now but every time I'm near that lap time I either miss the downshift going into the busstop or frap up the first chicane exit...

Thanks Jav! The car feels good, just a bit crazy on the exits. Tomorrow night maybe we can share some tuning ideas.

The problem is I have no idea how the car will handle at the last part of the race. I was 30 minutes of consistent lapping earlier and some boob took me out on turn 1. So tomorrow night will be the real test.

Gotta sack out. Cheers!

I seem to be getting mid/low 2:06 on average, still messing with the setup. The infield kills me, im so used to the super grip of the vette. Ive got the tune working in the right direction, but its bed time. Freakin school :(

That'd be good. I tried softening the rear bump, but I'm not sure whether that helped or if I just improved through practice. I managed a 2.05.5xx on baseline, but that was pretty lucky and I only did it the once. Realistically I'm running low 2.06s in race.

I'm with Kevin, I'm so used to driving the McLaren that it's really hard to deal with the way you've almost got the arse out all the way through the corner. Still, learn and adapt, eh? :)

You guys have great pace!

Also, I'm going to remove the Jetta from the entry list tonight as it may be hurting people wanting to enter since they don't own it.

Maybe we'll get a few more participants this way.

Oh. Thanks for that. I hadn't even thought about not owning the Jetta. I'll be there.

And I agree. I'm feeling slow with my 06.7. :)

Awesome, glad to have you! It may end up being a spec Mustang race. LOL

Actually guys, I think not owning the Jetta is not a problem. If I'm not mistaken, the Jetta is downloaded even if you don't own it, since it is part of a MC series with the MX-5 and Solstice, no?

I seem to be getting mid/low 2:06 on average, still messing with the setup. The infield kills me, im so used to the super grip of the vette. Ive got the tune working in the right direction, but its bed time. Freakin school :(

I finally broke into the 2:06s as well, but I'm comfortable in the 2:07s for the time being.

I'm downloading the track right now (and a couple others), then I get some practice in...... Before the actual practice (mx5).

I'm not even going to mess with my setup, haven't really done it yet in iracing so ill just stay with stock.

Last edited:
Thanks for coming out tonight guys, I had a blast. I think I'm ready for tomorrow night with a confident setup and fuel load.

Best wishes to anyone participating in the official races this weekend!

Thanks for coming out tonight guys, I had a blast. I think I'm ready for tomorrow night with a confident setup and fuel load.

It was nice racing with you guys, im making a little video of the race but ill have to finish tomorrow. Good luck to everyone in tomorrows race, ill be at work.

I was doing ok until my dumb*** changed the brake bias before the race and the car was so twitchy under braking. Even though I wanted to keep "racing" I couldn't do it and I didn't wanna take the risk of wrecking one of you guys going into a corner.

Either way it was nice to do some laps with you guys.... I just wish I wasn't the only miata out there lol.

It was nice racing with you guys, im making a little video of the race but ill have to finish tomorrow. Good luck to everyone in tomorrows race, ill be at work.

I was doing ok until my dumb*** changed the brake bias before the race and the car was so twitchy under braking. Even though I wanted to keep "racing" I couldn't do it and I didn't wanna take the risk of wrecking one of you guys going into a corner.

Either way it was nice to do some laps with you guys.... I just wish I wasn't the only miata out there lol.

It was good fun guys! But I'm now debating on either going with the MX5 or using autoclutch:yuck:... I kept missing the 4th and 3rd downshifts into the busstop wich eventually dropped me back a good 40 seconds! That's a huge loss I really don't wanna take! This car's gearbox is a piece of crap!!

I like the miata ( H shifter g27 with no aids).

I have only driven the Mustang once for about 30 minutes and I did not like it at all.

Probably should have posted this over here ;)

Thanks for hosting the Roar before the Roar session tonight John. Might have been a better showing if I'd filled my car back up with Gas, lol, but just as I'd got back to the battle for 2nd, I had to pit. oops!!

Anyway, since I'd got a nice new car and track to play with, I figured I'd stick around and run some laps with the Delta splits to see where I could pick up some time and eventually got down to running fairly consistent 2'05's with a PB of 2'05.3 and splits for an optimal lap of 2'04.7!! Based on this, if I get a chance to run the Roar event, I might just do that

Thanks again and thanks to everyone else for showing up too. Good fun with good racers!!

Hey guys, im in the mood to host a session right now. Im gonna be doing Watkins Glen Boot and using the Mustang and MX5 Cup cars. Open practice for 50 minutes starting at about 8:15pm EST, 10 minute qualify - 2 laps max, then a 60 minute race (starting at 9:15pm EST) with 1 fast repair, fixed setup and full course caution in case we get the big one. See you guys there!

Oh and the name of the room is "Watkins Glen Power Hour"

edit: wow, ok only 1 person showed up and its 12 minutes to race time. where are all the road racers? i wont make this mistake again, geez.

Last edited:
I might not be a road racer by any means but I seem to never be around for these! I might have joined if I had seen it.

Would have been just me and you Mac lol, apparently the only way to get people to join is to do oval races.

Then plan some oval races. See what happens. If I had been off work I would have joined. Oh, and had my rig set back up.

Well we can try to plan something tonight if anyone wants to try, oval or road doesnt matter to me. I can host too, i dont mind paying for a room just as long as we get a crowd.

Back