GTP Spec Miata Racing Series : Season 1 Complete; Season 2 Soon!

  • Thread starter Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 2,295 comments
  • 152,244 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys want to get on and play?
 
This was made before I gave a quick read to the tuning section of the APEX book that came with the collectors edition.


Ride height: -15mm front and rear
Compression and extension: both 8f/5r
springs 12.5F/5.8R
sways: 4f/4r

Camber: 1.5f/1r
Toe: 0F/.1R

Brake bias: 5f/7r

The cork screw all the way to the finish is tough. I'll admit that much!

Ill give it a whirl, the whole course is difficult, but i have to say once you get going fast, its a blast. But i do notice that you have to have consistantly fast laps (or fastish) to be able to beat your record.
 
I've got a research class final tomorrow so I wanna concentrate on that TT.

Mind you those settings were used with the steering wheel. It might be horrid on a controller.

If you play with the compression and extension setting you'd probably be able to have more consistent laps than if you drove without. Those settings are way off, IMO.
 
I've got a research class final tomorrow so I wanna concentrate on that TT.

Mind you those settings were used with the steering wheel. It might be horrid on a controller.

If you play with the compression and extension setting you'd probably be able to have more consistent laps than if you drove without. Those settings are way off, IMO.

Good luck on the final.

I have a wheel. I cant even drive in a strait line w/o
 
Got my car.. :)

Member: ntrinsik
PSN: ntrinsik
Region: US-West
Colors: Monte Carlo Blue Pearl / Gold BBS
Equipment: G27

My last Miata had an engine stage 1 so had to get another. The new one is quite the looker!
 
Ok. another question:

I know Turbo's still trying to figure things out as far as the actual schedule and structure's gonna be but I was just wondering if we were planning on doing actual qualifying sessions per track.

I had to ask 'cause I can't figure out an easy way of doing it since GT5 only seems to display the best lap time in the session overall. It seems to rank people during free runs but can we rely on the order shown during the online free runs to determine qualification position?

It should be easy to test this out. Someone else might be more in touch with how it works though too. To me it's confusing at the moment because sometimes the guy with the best lap moves down even though no one beat his time. It might have something to do with exiting the session and entering again, maybe it resets you?
If we could figure this out I would love to be able to do live qualifying sessions before the races. Would be cool but not necessary.

The way we do it in iRacing is that there's one track set for the week and qualifying runs virtually all week since there's races happening all the time. You can qualify whenever you want during the week and update your best time it as the week goes on so people are shifting starting positions around all the time depending on who's in your split [group of racers].

What would you guys say, keep it simple and stay to the system we're currently using for registration (Autumn Ring Mini Reverse hotlaps) or opt for the live quali.?
 
Last edited:
To export a replay data you must have a USB drive. Files are generally 313kb and less when zipped.

Steps:
1. Drive in practice mode finishing at least one lap. Quit the session to return to practice mode menu.

2. Save ghost of fastest lap

3. Exit practice mode and return to the GTLIFE menu. On the set of left icons there is a REPLAY THEATER. Enter the REPLAY THEATER.

4. You will now have access to your saved replay data which include your most recent fast laps and/or races. Select the file you wish to upload.

5. A number of options come up such as play, delete, data logger, and most importantly for this, EXPORT TO SAVED DATA UTILITY. Select EXPORT TO SAVED DATA UTILITY and save the file. A new file will be created on your PS3.

6. Exit Gran Turismo 5 and return to the XMB menu. Under the GAMES category search for SAVED DATA UTILITY(PS3). You will see your GT5 save data which consists of your career and arcade data and a separate file labeled the REPLAY DATA. With your USB Drive inserted in to the PS3 select the replay data and "copy" to the USB drive.

7. Remove your USB drive and go to your computer. Watch some pron.

8. Open the USB drive and there will now be a PS3 folder. Take that folder and use winzip, winrar, or any other compression program and compress it.

9. Upload on to you're post by replying to a thread in "advanced mode" where a manage attachments tab will be located at the bottom of your screen. "Browse" to find your PS3 Zip folder and then click "upload". Let the upload finish and then continue with your thread post.



To view data on your PS3 you essentially do the above steps in reverse order. There will be an IMPORT SAVED DATA in the replay theater. You'll be importing files so that's the button you want to use. The Replay Data will now be available for viewing in your list of saved replay files.






For the passed two days I've decided to take on the challenge of learning how to tune. I dropped my fastest lap time of 1:43.7xx to 1:43.17x through a combination of tuning, growing a pair, and learning the track a little bit better. Again... 1:42 is possible without a draft but I don't feel like trying. I spent an hour on tuning alone and that was enough for me. LOL
 

Attachments

Last edited:
Ok. another question:

I know Turbo's still trying to figure things out as far as the actual schedule and structure's gonna be but I was just wondering if we were planning on doing actual qualifying sessions per track.

I had to ask 'cause I can't figure out an easy way of doing it since GT5 only seems to display the best lap time in the session overall. It seems to rank people during free runs but can we rely on the order shown during the online free runs to determine qualification position?

It should be easy to test this out. Someone else might be more in touch with how it works though too. To me it's confusing at the moment because sometimes the guy with the best lap moves down even though no one beat his time. It might have something to do with exiting the session and entering again, maybe it resets you?
If we could figure this out I would love to be able to do live qualifying sessions before the races. Would be cool but not necessary.

From what I can tell, the lap times are reset when you exit the track. This really sucks if you've set quick time and then you go back to the lobby to make some adjustments and it's gone. Turbo's Autumn Ring qualifier right now just determines who gets into the 2 waves of 16 racers, I'm not sure what the actual race day will look like. It would be pretty easy to hold a 10min session before each race to determine starting order, just don't leave the track (I think you're OK if you return to the pits). Just make sure you've got your setup dialed before the qualifying session. I'm not sure where you would be placed on the grid if you enter the race without turning a lap first.
 
I'd really like to sign up for this if its possible:

GTP: SAMHAIN85
PSN: SAMHAIN85
Region: west california
Body color: Black (but it was a more specific name, i forget)
Wheel color: Black

I think I did all of the correct upgrades in OP, although I'm not sure what the "racing cone filter" is? My specs right now are:
129Hp/107ftlb/864kg 13 miles driven. My hp will increase as I put more mileage on my car? If thats the case, awesome. My quickest time so far is 43.272, quite a tricky track. I used to do a similar series for forza 3. Thanks in advance if you can add me! I'm on late weeknights after 12am if anyone else wants to practice late, shoot me a friend request.
 
Nice to see another night owl come on. I'm in Vegas and work nights so I'm on after midnight too. I'll send you a request. Racing cone filter's just the racing air filter upgrade, the red one. You should be at a higher power after the oil change, done that yet?
 
I would like to join as well if possible.

PSN: pinkertonpunk
Region: Midwest (Wisconsin)
I will be using an 89 Mariner Blue with White wheels.
 
Last edited:
Got the car "built" and did some testing, both online and in practice mode. Odd that the track feels different in a few places online, IMHO. I also ran about .2 seconds quicker online. Best in practice mode was 42.8XXX. Had back to back 42.6's running online with EL_ZISSOU. Good running with you again, BTW!

Turbo, will take a look at what colors I have available. Will let you know.
 
I cannot for the life of me catch up to Zissou on autumn ring. I stopped at 42.9xx on autumn and am leaving it at that. lol
 
I cannot for the life of me catch up to Zissou on autumn ring. I stopped at 42.9xx on autumn and am leaving it at that. lol

It is a hard track to catch someone on. 42.9 is a good time! I think anything faster comes down to tuning. I know Dapper is pretty good at that. I, not so much. Was tweaking the suspension like crazy last night, and still never found a setting I truly liked. Need more front end bite.
 
still stuck around mid-45s....lol....man I am hopeless in that car(probably any car)....
 
Allow me to suggest a number of things to try to get more front end bite. I'm still a super noob in tuning though. The spec miata series allowed me to really look in to the tuning without going overboard on car. That's one of the reasons for being so active in here. =D

Raise rear ride height
Soften up the front suspension settings

I'm not sure if this is correct but for mid corner you might try increasing front camber.
Toe in up front should give you better turn in.

I think the toughest part of tuning is finding that base line to make adjustments off of.
 
still stuck around mid-45s....lol....man I am hopeless in that car(probably any car)....

Dude don't get discouraged. It's all a learning experience. From the super competitive guys to the beginner, we're all here to have fun and see what we can do. A low HP, FR car like this will only teach you how to drive faster.

Can you believe people hate on me now for driving faster than them on the public rooms with rules that THEY set up?
 
Got the car "built" and did some testing, both online and in practice mode. Odd that the track feels different in a few places online, IMHO. I also ran about .2 seconds quicker online. Best in practice mode was 42.8XXX. Had back to back 42.6's running online with EL_ZISSOU. Good running with you again, BTW!

Turbo, will take a look at what colors I have available. Will let you know.

Hey, I had fun too, thanks for the practice. I just yesterday realized that Autumn Ring was the qualifier track after having another look at the first post, ha ha ha. I tried to do some free run there but my game keeps freezing as a approach the finish line on the first lap, so I tried to do some practicing online. 42.4 is my best after the first session, but I am afraid I might not be able to get any free run in since the game keeps freezing. Anyone else having this problem?

I thought the qualifier was on Laguna for some reason. :dunce: Here's my best lap after the second practice session. I had a 1'41.7xx going, but messed up the final turn and ended up with a 1'41.940. Even though I was practicing on the wrong track, I didn't really know Laguna until this, so I'm glad I got to learn a new track. :O

[YOUTUBEHD]WUw5L-sloOM[/YOUTUBEHD]



Dude don't get discouraged. It's all a learning experience. From the super competitive guys to the beginner, we're all here to have fun and see what we can do. A low HP, FR car like this will only teach you how to drive faster.


Amen, brother Coconut
badteeth.gif
 
Allow me to suggest a number of things to try to get more front end bite. I'm still a super noob in tuning though. The spec miata series allowed me to really look in to the tuning without going overboard on car. That's one of the reasons for being so active in here. =D

Raise rear ride height
Soften up the front suspension settings

I'm not sure if this is correct but for mid corner you might try increasing front camber.
Toe in up front should give you better turn in.

I think the toughest part of tuning is finding that base line to make adjustments off of.

I've had a few goes at trying to tune the car but I'm finding it difficult. I haven't got a lot of experience tuning either, but I'm never sure whether it's my tune allowing me to go faster or if it's just me improving as a driver. When I go back to a base tune I find I'm often able to match or near-match my times.

Would I be way off base if I said that the stock car is quite well tuned? Obviously there's always going to be some time to be found setting the car up just right for your style and the track, but the Miata feels to me like it's pretty close to optimum for most situations. I don't think people are going to be at a major disadvantage by not tuning, which would be a turn off for some.
 
When I was tuning I was looking for consistency more than a faster car. Sometimes I found that my car had certain issues in rear traction when taking corners on SECA. With the tune I can take those corners full throttle now. Again the most unreliable factor in anything is the operator. so yeah
 
Thanks Filphil. I have basic understanding. I did add a bit of rake, and soforth. Shocks are what get me. LOL. I presume we are all to use the spring settings that Turbo listed. That would be part of the issue. If the car had more power, the spring rates would make more sense. It is close to what I ran on my boosted Miata.

Dang EL! 42.4?! Nice work, man. The first time I pit, I was experimenting. And my theory was right. Even after less then a 1/4 wear, times drop of quite a bit. Put on the fresh tires, and was all over you on your old ones.
 
A general thing to do(in real life and game) is to try putting the car back to what you start with at the end of the day as you begin. Then you can tell if your car have progressed or the driver have. The issue with GT5 in this regard is that you don't have presets anymore....makes it difficult to remember what you've changed.....I mean you can write it down but who does that....:D

I've been sticking to the suggested setup in the first post aside from messing with camber. I think I'll go back and do more bar and spring stuff....
 
I'll definitely try going back to my old settings and see if it works. I hadn't thought about that. It's a good thing I emailed myself the old settings I've had.

I decided to deviate from the spec miata rates as there really is no way to enforce that type of tuning. The cars are close enough in terms of power/weight that I can't see anyone gaining a huge advantage from suspension tuning. I did try to make driving as "comfortable" as possible though.
 
Guys, I have a lot of work to do today, so I'm hardly going to be on today. Just an FYI. I'll get to everyone's questions, etc towards the end of the day.
 
Did you expect this many people to sign up and this many people to be active?:lol:
 
IM so in. And clean racing to boot? Awesome I've been looking for something like this.

GTP: SoWfPaW
PSN: SoWfPaW
Region: North East
Body color: Black
Wheel color: Red

SIGN ME UP!!
 
Actually, no I didn't. :D

Edit: Also, I will not have internet at home until the end of next week, so the start of the season may get pushed back a week. With GT Academy starting around then, I do realize if some of you can't participate. Let me know if it's going to cause any problems. 👍

Paggy: color has been changed. :)
 
Hi I am interested in this series I love the MX5, used to own one and they are great fun cars.

I hope I'm not too late to sign up for this?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back