GTP Spec Miata Racing Series : Season 1 Complete; Season 2 Soon!

  • Thread starter Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 2,295 comments
  • 152,257 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooo and I got a headset now.

...which reminds me, I won't have one of these for a while. So you guys will have to deal with my typing skills on a keyboard that only works half the time because I spilled beer on it. :lol:
 
I say full damage on. As you said, you have been racing with the same guys for a couple weeks now, so you know what everyone is capable of. If you haven't seen any bozo's yet, we probably won't. If one happens to turn up, we can keep a close eye on them. If everyone thinks the racing is better without them, then they just won't be allowed to race any more.
I guess I can support that. Although I'm more of a fan of the Light Damage which repairs itself after a while... especially since we're all racing the same cars around. With Heavy Damage one simple mistake that forces you to limp a whole lap to get back around to the pits will put someone completely out of the running. The strive for realism is always appreciated, but think about someone who ran the hottest qualify lap and is out in first but someone locks breaks behind them into the first turn and ruins their car. That would surely put the fastest person out for pretty much the whole race; especially since the races aren't that long. On a 2 hour race I could see someone making up that kind of time, but with these 15-30 minute races nobody could come back after an unlucky take out on the first turn and having to pit after limping through lap 1.

This is just my opinion for racing online in general, I guess since we are all racing with people we know are good racers we don't have to worry about too much contact anyway. Just thought I'd put it out there though... since we're all about having fun. And a nice close race with everyone in a tight group is fun. I've had it happen before and I'm sure others have as well; having to do something like pit after the first lap and then running alone for the rest of the race because you're half a lap back from everyone else is the exact opposite of fun.
 
I understand where you're coming from, but I like the realism factor. If that same thing happened to someone in a real race, you would have the same outcome. Sure it's a bummer, but that's racing. We'll see what happens after tonights practice race, then we can make a solid decision.
 
I understand where you're coming from, but I like the realism factor. If that same thing happened to someone in a real race, you would have the same outcome. Sure it's a bummer, but that's racing. We'll see what happens after tonights practice race, then we can make a solid decision.
No problem. Like I said, I'm fairly confident everyone here will race clean. And of course as was mentioned, if anybody is clearly not up to par with the concept that "Gran Turismo 5 is not a game of bumper cars!" they will certainly be dealt with.

Also: as far as penalties goes. I'm down with realism 100% in regards to that... so sorry to the people who think there SHOULD be penalties, but that's not realistic whatsoever. The fact that they are not very well implemented aside, bumping into someone in real life will not cause your fuel supply to be restricted for 5 seconds. That's plain stupid. And also, bumping WILL happen. Nothing kills the immersion of racing more than driving through someone because their car turned into a ghost. Ghosts are only good for hotlapping by yourself, they have no place in a REAL race!
 
Last edited:
IMG_4401.jpg


Good things virtual cars don't cost as much as the real ones. :)
 
Edit: ^^^^ See! :lol:

Agreed. Ex-nay on the penalties.

Damn I wish we had a livery editor and a hard top option. :(
 
The good news about SM is, in almost 8 years of racing that class I've only had my car to the body shop once, and it was due to mechanical failure, so the class gets a bad reputation, but it can be the most aggressive cleanest racing out there!

I'm psyched for tonight!

PS: Here is my car after 8 years of service and one respray 5 years ago.

CHINMOTORSPORTApr17-182010DL-20127.jpg
 
I may try and get into Spec-Miata in the near future. I really think with a good car I could be competitive, just have never had the cash flow to make my racing dreams come true. :(
 
I hope everyone gets to experience real life racing at least once, the good thing about SM is there are all kinds of rental programs around the country so you can get your feet wet and see what it’s like. I understand the money situation, and since money got tighter I now have a 3 year old, which costs even more money.

Interestingly enough this is the first time in 13 years that I am not an SCCA Member, I just let my membership expire since I only raced once last year and the year before, it’s just too tough getting time away from the family. The good thing about race cars are if you aren’t using them they aren’t getting damaged, plus they are always waiting for you to show up and beat the hell out of them….especially Miata’s.

As virtual racing improves it will be easier for us to enjoy our hobby, of course nothing replaces the real thing, but these simulators keep impressing the hell out of me!

See you guys tonight, finally time to get out of work! :cheers:
 
I missed an opportunity a few months back to get a dirt cheap Miata that I would have done that with. I saw one on craigslist that the guy said was in good running condition and had decent mileage but the clutch was shot and he just wanted it out of his driveway. It was listed for $500 but when I sent him an email he took the page down the next day... either I was too late or he realized what an idiot he was for giving away a car that he could easily get 3K+ for if he'd just spend the 5 or 6 hundred it would cost to replace the clutch.
 
He probably sold it. These things, when listed cheap, don't last for very long. The buyer will probably end up making a SM out of it too. :D
 
] Yeah, in response to have you ever seen a miata race! LOL. sad but true. I'm the green #10 way out in the grass dodging mayhem.
img4281k.jpg
[/URL][/IMG[/IMG]
 
^^^ You forgot the picture. :p

Man, the GT Academy forum is turning into a real barn burner.
 
OK, how the hell do I post a picture? duh? tried everything here but kept just coming up as links
 
The direct image link has to be between the
 
Yeah! Figured it out!

img4281e.jpg
 
Have we figured out what to do if we have more than 16 people tonight?
 
Well I was asking if someone would volunteer to host a 2nd room but no one piped up. Think you could do it?
 
Man, I hope I can make it. Wife might want to run errands. :( Need a break from the academy, too.
 
SilverMiata and tt997 back around 2003ish I think. We always seemed to be around each other in races and then odd that we qualified for autumn ring side by side again!


menjohn.jpg
 
Well I was asking if someone would volunteer to host a 2nd room but no one piped up. Think you could do it?

Hopefully. Still don't know how long my downloads are going to take. :nervous:
 
Wow, I remember that race!! VIR in October, I was the Suzuka blue Miata just left of the John Deer SM. What a small world!

It will be interesting if we get 16 tonight since we are so close to Christmas, but everyone entered seems to be pretty much a die hard, so it's possible. If it looks like we are going to have more than 16 we could always split into two rooms based on the official qualifying times.

Just a thought.
 
Anyone have any objections to dropping the tire spec down to Sport Mediums?
 
Wow, I remember that race!! VIR in October, I was the Suzuka blue Miata just left of the John Deer SM. What a small world!

Just a thought.

Ohhhhh yeah I see you. Some how Thornton (johndeer car) and I got out of that mess 1st & 2nd nose to tail the whole rest of the race. swapped the lead 3 times and I blew it at the bottom of hogpen. He was having so much fun that he actually slowed down and waited for me to catch back up! LOL.

You see the other pic of us I posted?
 
OK last from me. Before and after shots on my current car. Damage was set to ON in this race. LOL



photohp.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
 
That would be my problem though. I could probably scrape together enough money to build a car, but if that happened to me it would be the end. Could only afford one crash.
 
I object. :p With as horrible as tire grip is online compared to offline, SS tires are about the worst I can handle. Anything lower will be like driving on ice.
 
object. all this tuning we've been doing is with these tires already.

and another update for tonight- qualifying is 15 mins not 20.

Damage will be on FULL
 
Yeah I also prefer to keep the tires as they are right now, suits the rest of the upgrades well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back