GTP Spec Miata Racing Series : Season 1 Complete; Season 2 Soon!

  • Thread starter Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 2,295 comments
  • 152,240 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Turbo, perhaps update the OP with those who have registered after the initial 16.

Then atleast we could all see what we have to work with and maybe figure out how we would like to set this up a little better.

I plan on it as soon as I get to a better internet connection that is not my phone. ;)
 
Ill be back this afternoon with a Miata.
Couldnt find any garage based competition to you guys yesterday, but we'll see today :)
 
Very experienced with running and organizing Spec Miata online series. Offer to help in any way you guys need running this....

Hi guys. I joined the room last night and was thrilled to see someone putting this together. I threw in my registration here too as well a few posts ago.

tt997-East Coast-car: Blue and orange

I am more than happy to help and have quite a bit of experience with running Spec Miata online races. I had a very large series on Forza 1&2 for Spec Miata. my GT on xbl is SpecMeotter in case any of you ever did our races and our site was SpecForza. Not up anymore though. We had around 45 guys every thursday evening coming to race. It became pretty big. Website, sponsors, prize money, you name it. It was all professionally run by 30 something year olds and most of all was an incredibly good time. I also race Spec Miata in SCCA in real life so as you can imagine, this whole idea of doing it online makes me pretty happy.

My 2 cents:
Qualifying- it's pretty easy to set up. Forza only let us have 8 to a room so we ran multiple rooms and sent the times over to me or one of my partners to tally and create the grid based on lap times of course. A typical night would be a 5-10 lap warm up session followed by a 5 lap qualifying session, then a 20-30 lap race. Race laps varied but they were always long.

Damage- this has always been a tough one to deal with but after lots of back and forth it became pretty clear that the only way to do this was without damage on. Yes we were striving for as much realism as possible but the simple fact is that if you get banged up on the start of a 30 lap race and your car is bent it all of a sudden becomes very- un-fun and people lose interest in the series. Just like real racing, stuff happens. It's a racing thing. We did a lot of self policing though and after a race or two it became very clear that bone head rough racing and not using your mirrors and mics would not be tolerated. We did on occasion have to kick some people out but that was really pretty rare.

All in all, a series like this can be huge and is tons of fun. I've been down every road and every detail of doing a series like this and learned everything there is to know by trial and error. Like I said, I'd be happy to help wherever you guys as the organizers might like. Happy to host rooms when I am on.

Kudos to you guys for creating this here!

Robbie
psn-tt997
#5 SM '99 in real life
 
Damage- this has always been a tough one to deal with but after lots of back and forth it became pretty clear that the only way to do this was without damage on. Yes we were striving for as much realism as possible but the simple fact is that if you get banged up on the start of a 30 lap race and your car is bent it all of a sudden becomes very- un-fun and people lose interest in the series. Just like real racing, stuff happens. It's a racing thing. We did a lot of self policing though and after a race or two it became very clear that bone head rough racing and not using your mirrors and mics would not be tolerated. We did on occasion have to kick some people out but that was really pretty rare.

Thanks for offering the help.

Not having damage is so foreign from the simluation online racing environment that I've got involved in the past and bascially any pC sim league out there, to me it is kind of sad.

GT gamers screams and moans for a "simulation" game, but when the game actually allows you to do simulations then it is too real. It is too bad that a series that prides itself to mimic a real life racing series down to building the car to the rule book, might steer away from the part that it really need to be real.

I still say GT5 is not a sim, but now I know why. The audience is not there man. :ouch:
 
A few things:

- Qualifying sessions do sound like a good idea. Give me some time to come up with something.
- Damage is staying on. If your day is ended by a crash in real life, well...that's racing.
- I should have a track list up by the end of the week.

Also, anyone running GT5 on a DSL connection? I just learned that is all I can get at my new apartment, so hoping it's not going to create a problem. :(

Edit: Drivers list has been updated.
 
Last edited:
(balang_479 / balang_479 / PAL / Grey - Black)

Hopefully theres enough space for me.
 
Last edited:
I'm thinking the earliest we will start official races is on the 19th. That gives me time to get my internet set up at home, an official points system established, and everyone time to do some pre-season testing. 👍

Edit: We have 16 Drivers. So, anyone from here on out will be listed as being in a possible second room, if someone wants to step forward and take charge of that room.

Please count me in:

Name: GTP_Duke
Car: '91 Miata (P) - haven't bought it yet, but plan to
Colors: TBD
Input: Driving Force Pro
Location: NTSC / Midatlantic East Coast, USA
 
Last edited:
I've changed my entry form a bit and added my equipment.

Wardez (Wardez) [NTSC] - Splash Green Mica
Controller: G27 wheel

Also, to be clear, with the current allocated spec. does it come down to 128bhp @ 864kg for everyone, or are you leaving some options open to exploitation by tuners?
If people are running 130bhp I'm at a loss as to how, unless there's a different order I need to install the parts in. I'm running an '89, maybe the '91 provides a slight bit of a power advantage?

And is custom transmission allowed?

Thanks for doing this.
 
I am LOVING the damage after a good lounge session with my buddies late last night. It definitely needs to be on... but I'm wondering if maybe Light would be the best option. Since there was a discrepancy on whether or not to use penalties, I think this makes up for it in a way. That way the people who ram will suffer damage, but in that it's like a penalty; the Light damage only lasts for 5-10 seconds depending on severity.

I'm still unsure on this, as I REALLY do enjoy Heavy damage and having to limp around the track and back to the pits. However, I guess it all depends on the length of the races. Because if we will doing 20-30 lap races like tt997 mentioned where there will hopefully be pit strategy involved anyway, it should do fine. But me and my friends were only running 5 lap races, and for something that short (and with a car as low powered as a Miata) having to limp a whole lap to the pits will really put someone out of the running completely.

So I guess to sum it up: Light damage is ideal for races under 10 laps, Heavy would be well suited to use in longer races like 20+ laps.
 
I've changed my entry form a bit and added my equipment.

Wardez (Wardez) [NTSC] - Splash Green Mica
Controller: G27 wheel

Also, to be clear, with the current allocated spec. does it come down to 128bhp @ 864kg for everyone, or are you leaving some options open to exploitation by tuners?
If people are running 130bhp I'm at a loss as to how, unless there's a different order I need to install the parts in. I'm running an '89, maybe the '91 provides a slight bit of a power advantage?

And is custom transmission allowed?

Thanks for doing this.

Some of the screens show a different HP for me. My garage says 130 but the tuning menu actually says 131. Try changing oil though, I started with a brand new 89' from the dealership and was at 128HP after the upgrades, changed oil without putting a mile on the odo and gained a couple.
 
Also: nobody has mentioned anything about having False Start Check on.
This is essentially the same thing as the 5 second shortcut penalty.
It penalizes those who don't keep the brakes on until the start of the race.

I'm currently hosting a room for practice for those interested.

1472-6118-3701-4254-9725 All aids off, Heavy damage, False start on.

Come race. :)
 
Member: Hazzy
PSN: GTP_Hazzy
Region: Europe
Equipment: DFP
Body: Lime
Wheels: White

or is lime/white taken? hard to read on this mini crap computer :P
 
Some of the screens show a different HP for me. My garage says 130 but the tuning menu actually says 131. Try changing oil though, I started with a brand new 89' from the dealership and was at 128HP after the upgrades, changed oil without putting a mile on the odo and gained a couple.

I forgot to mention this before. I will add it to the acceptable mods list.

Edit: and those that want to be added to the drivers list, be patient. I'm trying to keep an eye on this thread while doing work and trying to not get caught. :p
 
Zychon (Zychon) [NTSC] White/Yellow

-Cote d'azur
-Deep Forest
-SS Route 5 (Clubman 5)
-High speed ring (weather change)
-Apricot Hill ...aaw not this time! Hope we get it as DLC soon, though. :dopey:

Prefer full realism settings, no line, false start check.

MT Only anyone? ::dodges rotten fruit::

What do you think about lap length? 10? 20?
 
Last edited:
I may have just recruited a new entrant and forum member. autox124 has been stumbling into our practice rooms the last couple days and I just assumed he was part of the forum, but he didn't even know about it, so I clued him in and he may end up joining us.
 
Hey guys first time posting here. Found the room online yesterday and started racing, very interested in this
PSN is autox124, put me down!!
 
Hey guys first time posting here. Found the room online yesterday and started racing, very interested in this
PSN is autox124, put me down!!

I'll need your car colors and I'm assuming you are in the USA?

Also, I will be closing registrations sometime today. This is getting bigger than one person can handle all by themselves. :crazy:
 
Quick question, I really haven't done much online racing with GT5 yet other than some drop-ins, but is there any way to search for rooms by name and not just the number? I'm used to rfactor for online racing and it's a heck of a lot easier to find what you are looking for.
 
Quick question, I really haven't done much online racing with GT5 yet other than some drop-ins, but is there any way to search for rooms by name and not just the number? I'm used to rfactor for online racing and it's a heck of a lot easier to find what you are looking for.

Not yet... Hope we get a better lobby soon (with more filters for things like regulations and such). ATM, if you have a friend racing you can join them in their room from the community tab. Other than that you need the number. :yuck:
 
Last edited:
Also: nobody has mentioned anything about having False Start Check on.
This is essentially the same thing as the 5 second shortcut penalty.
It penalizes those who don't keep the brakes on until the start of the race.

I'm currently hosting a room for practice for those interested.

1472-6118-3701-4254-9725 All aids off, Heavy damage, False start on.

Come race. :)

I just made my car and will give it a go! I'm just looking for some fair racing. I probably won't be able to do a league since my work schedule is hectic and ever-changing, but I'm interested in trying out some open races and practice runs.
 
Also, I will be closing registrations sometime today. This is getting bigger than one person can handle all by themselves. :crazy:

Please do count me in (entry on previous page) and don't be afraid to recruit an assistant or two. In the past, we have allowed separate steward accounts that are shared by a small group of people. That way more than one person can share the load of maintaining the series.
 
psn: apradel
Region: Europe (Spain) PAL
Equipment: G25
Body: Yellow
Wheels: Black

Great serie. 👍
By time difference count me as doubt for official races until you have a timeline. Usually race late in the night so perhaps we can see in east coast rooms.
 
Last edited:
Also, I will be closing registrations sometime today. This is getting bigger than one person can handle all by themselves. :crazy:

I dont have much experience with GT Online, but I've been playing organized multiplayer online since '92. If I can help, let me know.
 
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

I just realized (from racing in my room with some others) that I'm way outclassed on Laguna Seca. I pit to see if maybe it hasn't got my right tires on and I was in fact driving on comfort soft. I didn't have the option to change to anything else... so I just backed out to see where my Sport Soft tires went. It turns out I have NO MODS at all. I was going down the checklist from the first post last night and buying everything at the same time the patch was released. When I backed out of the game to download the update I lost it all! I guess it didn't save my car after I put everything on it. I dropped 25 grand into this car last night and the game saved my spent money but not my mods. Now I gotta spend it all again! :mad:
 
I'll have the drivers list updated in a couple hours or so.

Just so everyone knows. Our cars are actually around two seconds faster than a real Spec Miata around Laguna. Go figure.
 
Hey guys first time posting here. Found the room online yesterday and started racing, very interested in this
PSN is autox124, put me down!!

Great to see you here. I had a great time racing with you yesterday afternoon !

Lot of snow today in Montreal, fun to drive in the streets that were not busy, thanks to scared people who stayed at home.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back