GTP Spec Miata Racing Series : Season 1 Complete; Season 2 Soon!

  • Thread starter Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 2,295 comments
  • 152,252 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I'm talking one car on the track, two at the most.

On a 2 minute lap? 10-15 Miatas can stay spaced apart easily around most tracks. Just have everyone leave 2-3 seconds after the guy in front of them on the grid.
 
On a 2 minute lap? 10-15 Miatas can stay spaced apart easily around most tracks. Just have everyone leave 2-3 seconds after the guy in front of them on the grid.

2 seconds is a small gap for someone that is fast I think it should be 4 people at a time that way you can get 16 people qaulified in 4 sessions and i would leave plenty room for everyone/
 
2 seconds is a small gap for someone that is fast I think it should be 4 people at a time that way you can get 16 people qaulified in 4 sessions and i would leave plenty room for everyone/

That sounds really boring for the majority of the time.
And I do qualifying all the time online with 10 plus cars, of course it gets tight sometimes, it is kind of fun. 💡
 
I look at it this way:

- A qualifying time will be scheduled.
- People can come and go from the room, nobody has to stick around the whole time.
- You can show up, qualify, then leave.
- Once everyone is finished, the top 16 are tallied up.
- Those 16 get to race that week, and the rest wait until the next week to try and qualify for that race.

NASCAR style!
 
I look at it this way:

- A qualifying time will be scheduled.
- People can come and go from the room, nobody has to stick around the whole time.
- You can show up, qualify, then leave.
- Once everyone is finished, the top 16 are tallied up.
- Those 16 get to race that week, and the rest wait until the next week to try and qualify for that race.

NASCAR style!

👍 Niiice
 
I may want to test this out before Sunday's race.
 
^pick me, pick me! :lol:
 
Did anyone try out the personal lounge thing to see if you can get more than 16 people in there?
 
I think there is still a 16 person limit.
 
I look at it this way:

- A qualifying time will be scheduled.
- People can come and go from the room, nobody has to stick around the whole time.
- You can show up, qualify, then leave.
- Once everyone is finished, the top 16 are tallied up.
- Those 16 get to race that week, and the rest wait until the next week to try and qualify for that race.

NASCAR style!

GENIUS. I think a test run should be in order.
 
So, qualifying details.
Are we thinking of limiting it to several people qualifying at a time or just one?
Will there only be one night of qualifying? ( I think there should at least be two at different times according to what times the host can make it)

Should it be that a driver can only attempt to qualify once?

As I understand it this is going to be done in race mode with a set number of laps for setting one's best time. That wouldn't work unless you set a large number of laps because obviously the first guy to finish the "race" would end qualifying for everyone else.
You'd have to set the post race length to be really long to make sure qualifying doesn't drag on for too long.

In order to get a bunch of people qualified in a timely manner you'd probably be best letting a few people get out there at the same time with a race set to, say, 8 laps (good amount for tires to warm up and for you to set an optimal lap). But you have to set the post race to a good amount of time to make sure the last guy that went out has enough time to finish his 8th lap.




So my imagined process is you set the qualifying date. You set the time, which will be something like an hour? 8 laps of quali. in Nurb would've been something like 15 minutes and about the same for Indy. So five people out at the same time, you could do 20 in an hour.

It'd be up to the host on how much time he's willing to spend observing quali. but an hour and a half could hold 30 people, which I think's enough. Unless you relegated it to two nights, then you could qualify 40 drivers in two one hour sessions.

It would also be first come first serve. Everyone would have to know their place in line as it's too much for the host to watch quali. and try to see who's next in line. If a driver tries to join the room and it's full they'll have to wait for the current batch of qualifiers to finish then join when they pop out.

We'll have to use the forums so the host can let us know when a batch is done qualifying so we can try to hop in the room.

If you designate another host to hold a second qualifying room that could save a lot of hassle. He would just need to make sure he saves all the replays and has the times written down.

And wow this looks so complex but it's really not, just throwing out different ideas! 💡

Edit: I just realized that since I got my little USB capture thing that I can stream with that. So it would good for the future if, like, RT got a capture device from Fry's (should be one near you in AZ). It would let us see who's in the room and when there's slots available. Fry's always has stuff on special, I got my little A/V USB capture thing from there for $15. They have one for like $60 that does composite HD video if you're invested enough.
 
Last edited:
👍 That sounds brilliant!
 
Way too complex for me. I'm thinking one car on the track at a time. Two laps total, one for warmup, the other for your hot lap. Time is written down afterwords, then the next guy goes. I could host the room and be on for as long as it takes.
 
Way too complex for me. I'm thinking one car on the track at a time. Two laps total, one for warmup, the other for your hot lap. Time is written down afterwords, then the next guy goes. I could host the room and be on for as long as it takes.

That definitely works. Then you could just do it in free run.

What would happen if a guy's hotlap is DQ'd because of a bad corner cut or something? I think it should be three laps.

You're definitely dedicated if you're willing to sit through a bunch of qualifying. You should set some sort of time window at least.
 
Even though I didn't join, I think you should run a short 16 car race and see the results. If there are more than 16 people in a group, you run separate races. By doing this, you can see where everybody starts/who makes the cut.
 
I still think two laps is enough. If you mess up, that's racing. :)

We'd run qualifying with no penalties. Obviously you don't want to cut corners because everyone will be watching.

I figure the room will be open for a couple hours. If we don't hit 16, then oh well.
 
I definitely think we'll hit a little more than 16. Planning on doing it this weekend or anytime yet?
 
I'd like to test it this weekend if possible. I'll open up a room called "GTP Spec Miata" as usual a couple hours before race start. Someone else can open another room "GTP SM Practice". Once you are done qualifying, you can hop over to the other room and practice until the race starts.

When the race starts, we should be able to start open room, get everyone in their correct spots, then start the race.

Edit: I'm hitting the sack. :crazy:
 
Sounds good RT. It's coming together.
 
I'm stoked!!! 👍 guys!
 
I really like the idea about the qualifying procedure, its basically like what were doing prior to race 1, except now it will be live. This should make everyone happy. I have my computer right next to my ps3, so I can help spectate and write down lap times, or even just update the thread live as people qualify. Like I mentioned before race1 in reference to our original qualification format:

Regardless, I love the fact that we can post our qualy laps on youtube, its like watching qualifcations on TV.

👍👍👍
 
Yeah Sam, this should turn out some really fun epic moments.

I just threw together a little video showing how your car should be spec'd up for all the newcomers that seem to be funneling in. It should make things look a little more clear and official.

 
Ummmm, tt you should check Turbo's list again because the way I read it Spyhunter is in Group A. Correct me if I am wrong.

oh yeah. my bad.

I'm staying out of this qualifying discussion because my idea of everyone showing up in 1 of 2 rooms, running qualifying while the hosts watch in spectator mode. Then compare the times they wrote from their rooms, sort and set the grid. All of qualifying done in 20 minutes. But that sounds too simple and too much like how real racing is done in real life to actually work in this game .:crazy:
 
I like the new qualifying procedure as well.

Just brainstorming here but, here is another thought regarding points. If this qualifying structure works out you could have a revamped points system strictly based on overall finishing position rather than one based on your individual room finishing position like we tried to start out with. Your points structure runs 1st thru 32nd (assuming you have 2 rooms) your group A finishers take the points starting at the top and it works down from there, then your drivers from group B are added on at the bottom of the ground A finishers and continue to fill on down the list.

Then you don't have to deal with tallying 2 separate points lists and the live qualifying solves the issue of having faster guys being stuck in the slower group for the duration of the season and not having a shot at racing drivers in the other group for championship points.
 
Problem with that is, Group B's winner would feel cheated that they are getting less points than Group A's last place finisher.
 
The A, B, C group points thing works all over the world in remote controlled car racing. I ran a series for about 5 years called the Carpet Racing League. We had 100 racers each at 5 or 6 events. Top 10 (all the scoring system could handleat one time) made the A main, next 10 in the B, next 10 in C and so on. 100 points to the winner of the A main and one extra point to the top qualifier. Points went 100, 99, 98, all the way down the board. Qualifying was important and yes it sucked if you missed the A main by 0.001 seconds, but that happens. People had three 8 minute sessions to qualify. The single fastest lap from those three qualifiers gridded them in the final list for the main events.

I think much of the sprint car and local circle track world works in a similar fashion. You have to make the show.
 
Yeah, and? Thats just the way it is. Next week they can practice more and get a better qualifying time. Car racing is black and white as it gets.
 
Problem with that is, Group B's winner would feel cheated that they are getting less points than Group A's last place finisher.

I see your point but, at the same time they qualified slower than the last place finisher of group A so why should they get more points overall?
 
I see your point but, at the same time they qualified slower than the last place finisher of group A so why should they get more points overall?

I think we agree, but let me put in another note.

How would the group B winner, who supposedly competed with lesser competition, be given more points than the A winner, who competed against a group of drivers who made quicker times than B? This is assuming no trickery is involved, of course.
 
I agreed and also think points should be awarded from 1st to 32nd. Becuase if you think about the original points system when you pair top 8 from A and top 8 from B you eliminate guys that had to fight much harder for their points.

This would be simple and effective points system and would motivate people further to qualify, and be consistantly fast.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back