GTP Spec Miata Racing Series : Season 1 Complete; Season 2 Soon!

  • Thread starter Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 2,295 comments
  • 152,252 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also raced in an off-road series that did it a bit differently so that the winner of the B main could get more points than those at the bottom of the A. It worked, but it was really, really complicated.

Qualifying points were awarded 50 for 1st, 49, 48, on down the board. Top ten made the A-main, next 10 the B and so on. The winner of the A earned 100 points. Everyone else received a percentage of 100 based on their total completion laps/time. So if the winner of the A did 10 laps in 15 mins and you did 10 laps in 16 min there was a multiplier that awarded you 93.333 points. Add in your qualifying points for your total. Finishing position was less important than how close your final time was.

I have missed the A main by 0.001, walked away with the B, ran faster than the winner of the A and received 101+ points. But the qualifying points killed, only getting 40 for qualifying, so my total was 141 pts. The guy who tq'd and won the A got 150 total. It put an incentive on making the show.

Like I said, very complicated and I don't recommend it.
 
  • Indy Road Qualifying room open at 4:00pm EST (Closed at 5:30pm EST)
  • Drivers will qualify one car at a time
  • You get a total of two laps, one warmup and one hot lap
  • I will monitor from the lobby and write down your best time
  • Upon conclusion of qualifying session, top 16 are in Group A, remainder in Group B

Points Structure:

  1. A 33 pts
  2. A 31
  3. A 30
  4. A 29
  5. A 28
  6. A 27
  7. A 26
  8. A 25
  9. A 24
  10. A 23
  11. A 22
  12. A 21
  13. A 20
  14. A 19
  15. A 18
  16. A 17
  17. B 16
  18. B 15
  19. B 14
  20. B 13
  21. B 12
  22. B 11
  23. B 10
  24. B 9
  25. B 8
  26. B 7
  27. B 6
  28. B 5
  29. B 4
  30. B 3
  31. B 2
  32. B 1

Good? :dopey:
 
Like I said, very complicated and I don't recommend it.

Sounds too much like work to me.



What no bump day? I can't live like this! :crazy:

(Turbo knows I am joking but for all of you who don't know that I am joking: I am joking!)

Sincerely,

The Department of Redundancy Department

P.S. Yes it is good.
 
Last edited:
Yeah Sam, this should turn out some really fun epic moments.

I just threw together a little video showing how your car should be spec'd up for all the newcomers that seem to be funneling in. It should make things look a little more clear and official.


FANTASTIC video mate!! 👍 👍

Definitely needs to be added to the OP!
(Ps, I already have four diff Spec'sters setup and ready to go, so I didn't necessarily NEED the video, myself.. Haha, but it IS a damn good reference for other NOOB's to the league/series, though!!!)

Thank dude!!! :D
 
  • Indy Road Qualifying room open at 4:00pm EST (Closed at 5:30pm EST)
  • Drivers will qualify one car at a time
  • You get a total of two laps, one warmup and one hot lap
  • I will monitor from the lobby and write down your best time
  • Upon conclusion of qualifying session, top 16 are in Group A, remainder in Group B
Points Structure:

  1. A 33 pts
  2. A 31
  3. A 30
  4. A 29
  5. A 28
  6. A 27
  7. A 26
  8. A 25
  9. A 24
  10. A 23
  11. A 22
  12. A 21
  13. A 20
  14. A 19
  15. A 18
  16. A 17
  17. B 16
  18. B 15
  19. B 14
  20. B 13
  21. B 12
  22. B 11
  23. B 10
  24. B 9
  25. B 8
  26. B 7
  27. B 6
  28. B 5
  29. B 4
  30. B 3
  31. B 2
  32. B 1
Good? :dopey:

Yes it looks great. The only thing missing is you retroactively applying this points structure, and reinstating the points championship. :)
 
Sounds too much like work to me.

My dad and I were the keeper of the points for a few years. Imagine calculating 300 racers comparing their finishing laps/times to the winner of the A? I built a spreadsheet with these crazy formulas. We would go home after the weekend of racing and have guys calling us to ask how their points turned out. We were just as tired as everyone else after the long drive home, yet had to do the points right away.

That's why when I ran my own series I made it more simple. People would know their points as they left the track and could talk/speculate on the way home how they did and need to do next time.

I did take that off road series and re-ran their old points on my new system and out of 300 racers only had a handful move up or down a position. They would have had the same champion, top ten, top 25... so why do all that work?
 
My dad and I were the keeper of the points for a few years. Imagine calculating 300 racers comparing their finishing laps/times to the winner of the A? I built a spreadsheet with these crazy formulas. We would go home after the weekend of racing and have guys calling us to ask how their points turned out. We were just as tired as everyone else after the long drive home, yet had to do the points right away.

That's why when I ran my own series I made it more simple. People would know their points as they left the track and could talk/speculate on the way home how they did and need to do next time.

I did take that off road series and re-ran their old points on my new system and out of 300 racers only had a handful move up or down a position. They would have had the same champion, top ten, top 25... so why do all that work?

Sometimes people can't accept the harsh reality that they are slower than other people (or that they didn't spend as much money on their equipment).
 
On an additional note, I too used to race competitively in RC, both on-road (carpet 1:12, carpet 1:18, running both pro-stock, and pro-mod classes, for each), as well as off-road (1:10 2wd buggy pro-stock and pro-mod classes, as well as 1:10 4wd pro-mod).

So, I too, am extremely familiar with the qualifying/points system associated with RC. I think for the most part, the overall points and qualifying, is pretty generalized throughout the RC community, as the most common timing/score system is AMB (now called 'my laps', I think...?? LOL, weird).

Lol, so being that we obviously don't have a computer program/transponder system to help maintain and track qualifying/scoring, i think that the same methodology, as described in the previous posts, by my RC-bretheren :lol: is a good basis/foundation to build off of 👍

In the meantime, I'll try and dig up something we could use for time-keeping/scoring, for a more 'legit' means of recording this data for the series/league!!

Cheers!!!! :D


EDIT: Found it! Here a go guys... I've used this before in the past, and works like a real charm!! ;)
http://www.rctiming.com/lapssetup_usa.exe
 
Last edited:
Yes it looks great. The only thing missing is you retroactively applying this points structure, and reinstating the points championship. :)

Yeah, I haven't done that cause I'm at work. I'll do that tonight.
 
  • Indy Road Qualifying room open at 4:00pm EST (Closed at 5:30pm EST)
  • Drivers will qualify one car at a time
  • You get a total of two laps, one warmup and one hot lap
  • I will monitor from the lobby and write down your best time
  • Upon conclusion of qualifying session, top 16 are in Group A, remainder in :


  • Sunday or qualifying today?

    I think you are going in the right direction. Make it relatively simple and we all have to perform to get it done. Two laps to qualify is going to be brutal, but it is what it is. It removes the whole two people drafting from each other in a 20 min qualifying session. Be ready, show up to be fast and get it done in two laps or you are in the B. I like it. It will be a fun challenge and keep us practicing during the week.
 
Sunday or qualifying today?

I think you are going in the right direction. Make it relatively simple and we all have to perform to get it done. Two laps to qualify is going to be brutal, but it is what it is. It removes the whole two people drafting from each other in a 20 min qualifying session. Be ready, show up to be fast and get it done in two laps or you are in the B. I like it. It will be a fun challenge and keep us practicing during the week.

Sunday before the race, I'll change that.

And exactly how I was trying to go about the whole thing. ;)
 
Looks awesome Turbo! Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. 👍

The other advantage I can see about doing the points this way is in the event of having only 17 or 18 guys show up for a race. Rather than having a full room and one with only a couple of guys in it to run the race....BORING for the odd few out. You can now roughly split the field into 2 equal groups and run 2 more equal races without having a really major impact on the points.
 
  • Indy Road Qualifying room open at 4:00pm EST (Closed at 5:30pm EST)

:

Not to be a wanker but with the new qualifying times I will need to withdraw from the championship. My little boy goes to bed at 7:00 and the rule of the house is that the PS3 isn't on when he is awake, besides, if he was awake my qualifying effort would be horrific from a concentration standpoint.

That is one more open spot for others to hop in on. In the meantime I'll try to do more practice races with you dudes. It was a pleasure racing with you gentlemen. 👍

Thanks again Turbo, good times man!
 
Aw no way... well Spec this is just a test season remember so he's simply testing out the new qualifying model at that time this Sunday.

I think it might be better to hold quali. on a different night like the night before. It can still work out.
 
Not to be a wanker but with the new qualifying times I will need to withdraw from the championship. My little boy goes to bed at 7:00 and the rule of the house is that the PS3 isn't on when he is awake, besides, if he was awake my qualifying effort would be horrific from a concentration standpoint.

That is one more open spot for others to hop in on. In the meantime I'll try to do more practice races with you dudes. It was a pleasure racing with you gentlemen. 👍

Thanks again Turbo, good times man!

I can't go later because then the international folk will be bumped out for it being so late.

Qualifying on Saturday nights?
 
I can't go later because then the international folk will be bumped out for it being so late.

Qualifying on Saturday nights?


saturday would work for me if it helps spec out, but then again i dont think everyone can dedicate 2 nights to gt5 lol. How bout u spectate spec on saturday or ne one else that wants saturday.

If 16 people want saturday that would be perfect because you could get half of people done and it would be less work for you on sunday.
 
Don't change the whole schedule for me guys. I've had fun and will still practice race with you guys.

Saturday nights are tough for me sometimes, for example this Saturday is my 6 year anniversary and we've got dinner plans. I don't want to mess that up. :)
 
Can't Spec can't participate even if he can't make qualifying? I would think he could still race, but he'd just have to join up sans-qual and be at the back of the pack.
 
What happened to the room? :lol: up for 10min and then done...? Then some dude in a OG Camaro starts ripping around Indy...? :lol:

I'm so lost.....
 
Man it sucks being busy at work and not being able to check the forums. I miss so much.
 
I just posted the new points in the first page.
 
What happened to the room? :lol: up for 10min and then done...? Then some dude in a OG Camaro starts ripping around Indy...? :lol:

I'm so lost.....

Lol sorry my gf lost her ride home and I had the privaledge of drving 30 minutes one way to pick her up from work
 
Can't Spec can't participate even if he can't make qualifying? I would think he could still race, but he'd just have to join up sans-qual and be at the back of the pack.

Under the new qualifying procedure he'd only be able to participate if the 16th spot is open.
 
We're still running two rooms this season. Anyone lower than 16th will run in a second room.

I just found a spec miata for sale near me on craigslist for $6,500. :(
 
Awesome price... assuming all the safety equipment is up to par!
 
What are the rooms max hp settings? I thought I read at one point it was 138?
 
I wonder why the guy put poly bushings in? That's totally illegal if I recall.

That toyota is f'in awesome. lol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back