GTP WRS-Online Event 4 : ImPozzibly Big RS - February 19, 2014

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 167 comments
Exciting racing. In the first race (EU) I botched the qualifying even though I had a clean lap or two there. First nine laps I was able to stay on track, but l22 or 23 I went off in the last bend so decided to pit. After that I couldn't focus really. Finished sixth.

NA race qualifying went better, got a 1:23.1 that I don't think I reached during either race. Got me fifth on grid. Anyway I decided to try a no-pit run. It was worth it, because after removing the formation lap from the comparison, I finished 61 seconds quicker. I was 6th again though. Much less off-roading in this race, on my part. Game clock stopped at 19:13 (line). :mischievous:

My race was a big disapointment for me. My pace is quite good (for romm C) when I drive alone, but I cant keep this pace when we drive close together :( I am watching for guys ahead, behind and cant focus on track, that's mean mised brake points, wrong race lines and .... sand :lol:. Pushing to try gain leaders means new mistakes and ... sand :lol: I cant imagine how do you guys do that ... First hour races I qualified 2, 2, 3 and 1, finished 5, 4, 4, 5 :banghead:
I know I need more practice drive in a couple, but how to do this practice if allways only a few guys take part in a neoficial practicing, few times I sugested ride in a couple, but they didn;t want do that. In official practice on tuesdays usualy take part guys from D1 and D2 and they are far to fast to ride close to them. Whats more? Race on wednesdays and I can't ride in a couple again :lol:

Nevermind, I hope I learn to do this one day.
Congratulations for all winers :cheers:

I know I need more practice drive in a couple, but how to do this practice if allways only a few guys take part in a neoficial practicing, few times I sugested ride in a couple, but they didn;t want do that. In official practice on tuesdays usualy take part guys from D1 and D2 and they are far to fast to ride close to them. Whats more? Race on wednesdays and I can't ride in a couple again :lol:

Nevermind, I hope I learn to do this one day.
Congratulations for all winers :cheers:

You could always ask a D1/D2 guy to run a few laps right behind you... If I am in the lounge on Tuesdays I would do that a bit for you and I'm sure others would too... Maybe not during pre race which is quite hectic for us stewards, but on Tuesday.

Having said that I won't be racing next week, but my offer stands in future weeks.

Room is open for AU pre-race.

1472-6399-9009-5383-7226 closed

Moved to a friends only room owned by GTP_JTV.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Kalem, send GTP_JTV a friend request... we'd like to use a friends only lounge for the AU race and you are the only one not on his friends list. Or if you aren't racing let us know. For now we are still in the public room listed above.

JTV created a friends only room. All of us should be on his list, except kalem who hasn't responded and is on reserve, so search for it by friends.

AU/NZ race was worst race for long time to me - lot of sand. EU race was good one.

Last edited:
I wish I could of made it to the race last night. Sucks. My power decided to go for a walk in the snow, instead of letting me enjoy the warm desert sun :irked:

Watched some of your feed after the race... you were definitely driving more aggressively than I was, especially the final corner. I was too chicken to test the boundaries, but you managed a few little dirt encounters early and came up OK (until late in the race I think?). A couple times I thought about just driving more quali type laps, but resisted the temptation as there was just too much to lose. Once the tires got a little worn (maybe around lap 14) I think I had the edge though as the conservative driving early made it easier to handle the car late in the stint.
[U ] > It was the only place on track where I saw I could be a little faster than you in order to keep up. Eventually it failed on me anyway.
Nevertheless, I had a great time trying to chase you and maybe force you into a mistake. You really kept your cool and went off without any big mistakes.
interesting, do you use the driving line for just extra reference points? i never thought about using it before. how much does it help?
I set the drivingline on on this track as there were just no other reference points. Once you get at your max of the track, you can really use the drivingline to get some brake- and turn in markers.

I used the driving line as well, first time in ages I did that.

what a race! i was very surprised when i won quali :-o i never lead formation lap, so i hope it was according to the rules. whole race i had small lead in front of cauttsy and i was scared all race that i'll touch the sand. i was really surprised that i didn't make no big mistake.. so my second race here and first win.. i'm so happy.. thanks for hosting this superb race! i'm looking forward to next race! :gtpflag:

Well done on the win Vida! I was really surprised I got second in the qualification, was a PB aswell. Dont know how I did that as I kept getting distracted by the phantom lights, which were really weird! Didint get the best start in the race and slipped into 3rd, but managed to take second back and was really surprised I managed to keep up that level of consistency for 35 laps! I was in the sand at one point but thankfully didint spin or slow right down and was able to just head straight back on track! Really enjoyed the race and did way better than I expected in qualy and race!:D

speaking of being slow, i assume the blue flag had something to do with being lapped. i was digging a ditch all day at work and was dreadfully slow. i apologize for this, will have more practice/focus next time.
Yes, blue flag rules in racing signal to a driver about to be lapped that lead-lap traffic is on their tail and the driver being lapped must safely let the lead-lap cars by. When you immediately quit I was confused and thought "What have I done?" :odd: I was simply alerting you that Luni_Legacy should be let by, not that you had screwed up or anything.

Other than that misfortune, I had a great time watching the NA B room. :cheers: Another first-time winner (but I'll save that for when the results come out)!

The AU/NZ race was great, until I gifted my 4th place to @Gravitron :)
Thanks guys, that was fun! :cheers:
Two unlucky crashes in those final laps. :ouch: Both times I thought "How is this happening?" I'm really glad I didn't sit out the AU/NZ race, was much more fun than I imagined it would be...even if you'd not had that last crash, the short battle we had after your pit was nice. :cheers: Thanks for being patient on your better tires. 👍

I was doing some reading on the Camaro featured this week. It is owned and raced by Mary Pozzi of Pozzi Motor Sports, or PMS. :lol: Maybe that is why I was having issues trying to ride her (the car, not Mary) yesterday. :D

For me at least yesterday was an epic conclusion to a fantastic week of racing. Really one of the most enjoyable 7 days of driving I've had in a year starting with the TT. But it all came to a head yesterday. Each race was really a progression for me culminating in a really fun AU race with an exciting finish.

As I stated previously, I had some issues in practice Tuesday staying on track for any length of time so I ran really close to the vest in the EU race. My normal lap times were ~1'20.4-5 when pushing the car at 85%, but given all the incidents I mostly reigned that in and ran high 1'20s/low 1'21s. I was actively trying to avoid making mistakes, especially in the final corner, and just managing tires and really the race itself. I had to push a few times due to pressure from Speedy, which got me out of my comfort zone a couple times, but I stayed disciplined knowing it wasn't easy to pass and just ran my target times. My tires stayed very fresh and I pitted on lap 25 (really I could have/should have stayed out) and had no problem running 11 laps on the 2nd stint tires. Came in by myself in 3rd behind WillRacer and PASM.

I found a bit more pace in the NA and qualified on pole (my lap wasn't actually that great, but the other guys in the room also had some problems). I led a few laps, but Bart got by fairly early and I managed to hang on to him for about 15 laps. While following him I really found a good rhythm and had to push the car on the final corners especially to stay in the draft. This really got me out of my comfort zone and able to push the car more and I gained some pace. I tried not to push too hard, but a bit harder while trying to stay smooth. It worked well and I ran some pretty good lap times. His draft pulled me away from gooners in 3rd... finally I made a very small error allowing Bart to get me out of his slip stream and he just took off after that. I sort of lost the rhythm after that for a bit. Still had a decent gap and decided to pit. The 3 guys behind me didn't pit which meant I had fresh tires, but I had to battle my way through traffic to get back to mohit. That cost me some time, plus a slight touch of dirt cost me a few seconds and finally I slammed into the back of a lapped car that was going about 30 mph right at the apex of the final corner (after recovering from an incident I assume) with three laps to go and a few secs behind Mohit. I tried to thread the needle without lifting and it was also a bit stupid on my part. I should have slowed more to avoid contact, if I could have gotten by there with any pace I still had time to catch gooners. Anyway, I gathered myself and made a push to catch gooners with 3 to go and had him in my sights on the final corner of the final lap, but I ran out of time. One more sector and I would have had him as he was limping around on dead tires. Finished 3rd again so no complaints!

Finally, the track just revealed itself to me for the AU race. I'm not sure why, but from the start of pre-race practice I was quicker. Ran several 19s including 19.8s without any draft assistance. Not sure where that came from, but suddenly felt much more comfortable lapping the car at 95%. Bart got pole with a blistering 19.793 lap, but I was very happy to log a 19.997 :dopey: qualifying lap putting me second on the grid. FYI, my pole time from NA would have put me 4th on the grid so everyone had stepped up their game. I ran much more aggressively and again stuck to the tail of Bart for about a dozen laps using the slip to run several 19s including a 19.6 and create a gap again on mohit in 3rd. Bart got away again, but I kept it closer and ran many very low 1'20s and kept him in sight much better than the NA race. He made a few mistakes and was within 5-6 seconds when he pitted. I decided there was no way I was going to win the race by pitting so made an on the fly call to just ride the tires to the end. I was hoping the crew behind me would do the same and make Bart work for those spots... But they all pitted and parted the sea for Bart. Nonetheless I pushed those tires for all they were worth. Running 1'22s on lap 34 was taking basically 99% pushing and running TT type laps... Bart pulled into my slip with about 3 laps to go and I decided he was going to have to earn it. I stuck to my line, didn't block, but didn't give way either. Bart tried for two laps to set me up, but I made no mistakes and broke as last as I could. He got a run going into the final lap and we dragged to turn 1. I had inside position and didn't give an inch and came out in front, but he managed to stick to the outside and stuck a nose in so that I had to take turn 2 leaving a lane to the inside. We dragged around the entire fast right hander in T1 and with my 35 lap tires I just couldn't keep it full throttle and Bart came out barely across my nose at the apex. I had a run and thought about trying to outbreak him into the left corner to start T2, but that would have been asking for trouble and definitely not a high percentage move so I finally submitted and broke in behind Bart. Following him as close as possible through T2, but not enough grip in the tires to manage a run in T3 so came in 1.4 seconds behind. Finishing that close to Bart in a long race is almost as good as a win in my book... almost, but still not a win. One of these days Bart, one of these days! 👍

Great racing guys. I know many of you can't manage to make all 3 races in one day... but if you ever have the chance it's quite amazing how much you can improve with repetition and focus. I'm ready to do it all over again! 3 more today??? :lol:

Was a good time in the EU C race, having drivers close to my time was more pressure as there was the possibility I may get a place if I made no mistakes, in the end there was no shortage of mistakes and you pay dearly for them in the sand.
In the end the pressure was to not get lapped by RoesazGT and with newer tyres I was able to stay in front, good win with no stops RoesazGT.
Away next week but will get up early gain for the EU event after that.

Thx @Zapphoid
My quali was a bit disapointing but i've found a good pace without many risks of getting off the track and that worked well. I managed to stay close to the leading pack and after some laps the frontrunners maked mistakes so I crawled up de leaderboard. When i was in 2nd i could easily keep up with @pitskater and we only had one hickup in the race with @Siny999 who spunn in front off us and I took the wrong side to pass him and drove trough the sand but could reenter with just 2 seconds lost. When @pitskater pitted i had the road to myself and could manage the tires until the end. And there was my first win in the WRS:gtpflag:

Great racing guys. I know many of you can't manage to make all 3 races in one day... but if you ever have the chance it's quite amazing how much you can improve with repetition and focus. I'm ready to do it all over again! 3 more today??? :lol:

The times are set up perfectly for someone on the West Coast to make all three races, as long as they have a day off to game all day long. I smell a conspiracy. :P

Last edited:
The times are set up perfectly for someone on the West Coast to make all three races, as long as they have a day off to game all day long. I smell a conspiracy. :P

Well JTV made all 3 and he's in Australia... PASM made all three and he's in Europe, Gooners made all three and he's on east coast time and I made all three and I'm on West Coast time. It's a world-wide conspiracy!

ok next race is mine.IM finally a member of the WRS im so going to make a statement here, IM going to practice so hard for t his. im so excited to finally be racing against the big guys in the wrs its insanely awesome

Gooners must be an insomniac because I'm on Eastern Time too and my eyes start to get lazy around midnight. :dopey: I used to be able to stay up until the birds started chirping. That happened years ago during my clubbing days and more recently during my World of Warcraft days. My clubbing days required some "help" from my "friends" and in the World of Warcraft days it was, well...IT WAS WORLD OF WARCRAFT!!! :D Who couldn't stay up all night to play WoW?

ok next race is mine.IM finally a member of the WRS im so going to make a statement here, IM going to practice so hard for t his. im so excited to finally be racing against the big guys in the wrs its insanely awesome

Appreciate the enthusiasm K1lutch, but be sure to take it step by step. We know you've got a lot of pace and you'll get your good results. Just make sure to harness your enthusiasm in the right way and don't get too results oriented right out of the gate. All us are here to compete, but more importantly to have fun. This isn't directed just at you, but to all: we respect drivers whether they win, get a podium or finish 3 laps down... as long as they follow rules, show respect to others on track and add to the community. We've got a good thing going so let's just "pass it on".

Welcome to the WRS and look forward to racing with you. 👍

yessir mr. wrp I have a lot of work to do. ill get it right that's for sure. I wana improve overall as a driver and I wish to improve both my racecraft and my consistency and I know this is the place to do it. I know its not going to be easy but in know that I can do it. NOw that I have the opportunity to to show it all I can do is try my very best lol

Mr. WRP, I like that. :dopey: From now on everybody has to call me that. :lol:

Or... Tim will work just fine!

Here are your results. We're really happy to say there were no incident reports this week! Especially on a tricky combo like this, even @oink83 and I, who weren't racing and watching like hawks, saw some great OLR-following racing. :gtpflag:

EU Results
gt6-event4-EU-results.PNG

NA Results
gt6-event4-NA-results.PNG

Au/NZ Results
gt6-event4-AU-results.PNG

Congrats Bart on your 2 wins. :cheers:

Congrats Will, vida_cz, RoeszaGT, and Strop for your first-time wins! :cheers:

Here's a helping of anthems. :P

WillRacer31

vida_cz

RoeszaGT

Strop

And congrats to the other podiums!

And if you had fun and didn't get frustrated, well done! I think it was thematic604 last night who lightened the mood in NA-B room by saying "I started a couple volleyball games on the side of the track". :lol: 👍

Last edited:
Back