GTP WRS-Online (*GT6*): Event 120 : Mountaineering V2.0 - January 8, 2014

• Thread starter Speedy6543
  • 362 comments
Oh I must have misinterpreted the post
How was your lobby @oink83

I know Dano that you are not a new driver, but we have not seen you many times in races in GT5. Glad to see you are there now, it is a good thing that lowerd ranked drivers like you and me, attend the online races. That way there is some competition for us aswell.... 👍

I'd say the driving I saw was generally clean and the drivers in my room had a good attitude. 👍 Looking forward to more racing with all of you (and looking forward to the community features which will hopefully keep our lounges restricted from the randoms).

I recommend all drivers (new and old) read and review the OLR (GTPlanet OnLine Racing (OLR) Rules & Guidelines).

Every racing series has it's own character and driving style. Here in the WRS we stress fun, clean and respectful racing above everything else. Respecting competitors on track is more important than finishing position or raw pace. That doesn't mean you won't get into some heated battles on track, but those battles need to be within the guidelines of the OLR. We definitely do not subscribe to "rubbing is racing" and in fact the following from the OLR is our first commandment:

"Contacts and collisions must be avoided at all costs."

That means you have to be patient and make passes only when an opportunity presents itself that will allow a pass to be made without contact. Going hot into a corner and leaning into another car to make the turn is not a proper way to pass. Being faster than the driver in front of you doesn't automatically give you the right to the position. You must make the pass cleanly and without initiating contact (OLR - Corner Rights). On the other hand, blocking is also not permitted (OLR - Defensive Driving). That still leaves ample opportunities for clean battles and passing during races and avoids a lot of conflicts during and after events. The stewards would be more than happy to address questions on the OLR in this thread or any of the event threads.

All that being said, everyone makes mistakes. If you do initiate contact or make a mistake be sure to return any positions gained (OLR - Contact Concessions). Also, it never hurts to apologize after the race in the lobby, via thread or private conversation. If you do that and avoid making the same mistakes over and over you'll have no problem with the stewards.

If you are involved in an incident and believe a driver was in violation of the OLR you should follow the complaints procedure (OLR - Complaints). The first step is to contact the other driver privately and try to resolve the issue privately (via a conversation, not a public thread or in the lobby). If that does not properly resolve the issue then report the incident to a race steward and the incident will be reviewed.

It's a lot of work to review incidents. It's a necessary part of running any racing series, but at the same time it's not something we want to spend a ton of time on week after week. We'd all rather be on track driving and having fun. We expect drivers to acknowledge their mistakes on track, follow any required contact concessions and learn from mistakes rather than repeating them. If a driver is repeatedly involved in incidents the admins reserve the right to suspend their eligibility in these online events.

That was fun. Thanks for being such good sports everyone. This sure beats the open lobby / public races.

However, it did surprise me that everyone else were so much quicker than myself - got dead last. I did improve my time over the races, and I did my personal best lap (a 1'48:8) as the last lap in Race 3.

There's definitely room for improvement, but do any one of you have some tips on how to be faster? :) Surely I must be doing something wrong when I get so far behind.

Anyway, good racing guys. Cheers!

Hi, I'm new to GTP and would like to join...wondering if there are still any avaliable slots? my psn is :Seize_HKS

Bummed that I couldn't make it. Stupid work!

Oh well, I'll be there for the NA time for sure!

Scott
That was fun. Thanks for being such good sports everyone. This sure beats the open lobby / public races.

However, it did surprise me that everyone else were so much quicker than myself - got dead last. I did improve my time over the races, and I did my personal best lap (a 1'48:8) as the last lap in Race 3.

There's definitely room for improvement, but do any one of you have some tips on how to be faster? :) Surely I must be doing something wrong when I get so far behind.

Ras,

I often bring up the rear as well. We'll have to get online at the same time and push/help each other.

My best on this one is just about 1'46 but I average closer to 1'47.5.

Scott

Hi, I'm new to GTP and would like to join...wondering if there are still any avaliable slots? my psn is :Seize_HKS

If you can make the race later today (NA race) you can sign up... just use the form and add yourself to the list. Or you are welcome to sign up for next week when we release the event details in the next days.

If you want to join us long term be sure to check out the qualifier which will be required once we start officially racing in a few weeks. In the meantime these events are open to all who plan to run the qualifier.

When a thread for an event presents itself, try to start practicing the combination as soon as possible. I usually go into time trail mode to be able to find the right line. After that, I open up a lobby with all the correct settings listed in the thread of the event and start practicing. These lap times will be a lot slower than my time trail record because of the tyre wear. try to practice as much as you can in the days before the event and try different lines to take a corner. Practice really is key. Even when I feel like I did my absolute best lap ever, everytime when I practice an hour longer, I get a faster lap.

Rob

When we start the official races they will follow a week long time trial. That gives you a lot of time to run the event offline against your ghost, compare splits with other drivers via the leaderboard. Ask about techniques and approaches to the lap. After the TT is finished we use the exact same car/track combo for the weekly race. It's really an ideal setup to improve.

And what Robert said... nothing like practice!

I think my last race prior to tonight, was the team event a couple months ago, so it was good to get back on track with everybody 👍 Had some good close racing with a few of the guys, but mistakes cost a lot of time on this combo and I wasn't quick enough to catch back up. Fun none the less though :)

Good to see some new faces as well. Looking forward to the next one.

Can I get the same treatment hahaha ;D

Actually, yes you will get the same treatment.

After we process the initial qualifier results anyone who submitted a registry qualifier with a non GTP tag can request a one time change to the PSN listed in our registry, if they are changing to a GTP tagged PSN. So you won't have to rerun the qualifier, you'll just transfer your results (division/handicap) to the new PSN ID. Of course you have to own both PSN accounts, you can't transfer registration to another person.

The WRS no longer requires the GTP tag, but we certainly still encourage it's use. For these unofficial online races if you want to switch to a GTP tag there is nothing stopping you -- even if you already submitted your qualifier with a non tagged account. Once the official races start, however, you'll have to race with whatever PSN is listed in the registry.

Overall it was pretty decent racing, and the combo was excellent for really, really close action!! Not sure I could get closer to some cars :D! Me and Jammy were sandwiched together for an entire lap I think at one point! All good fun! I will upload the best of the races tomorrow as it's late and my tinternet isn't so good! I did however just upload my qualifying lap! Wasn't the best but hey ho, you win some and you lose some in qualifying!!

Little confused here, does the car come out of the Online Garage? I plan on running this event.

Little confused here, does the car come out of the Online Garage? I plan on running this event.

No, you buy it from the dealership. Get an oil change and put on Sports Hards... no break in required. It's quick. Paint it and change wheels too if you like (optional).

If you can make the race later today (NA race) you can sign up... just use the form and add yourself to the list. Or you are welcome to sign up for next week when we release the event details in the next days.

If you want to join us long term be sure to check out the qualifier which will be required once we start officially racing in a few weeks. In the meantime these events are open to all who plan to run the qualifier.
Done...but don't seem to see my name on the chart...

Looking at your registration. You're in don't worry. I'll see why it's not showing up, but in any case I have you on the list.

Can you submit a practice time too... if you ran earlier in a room maybe your best lap? That will let us know which room to put you in.

EDIT: Fixed, you'll show up on the next image refresh... we actually ran out of rows in the google spreadsheet... interest at an all time high so can't complain. I added more rows... keep 'em coming.

Great night of racing, particularly against Bandit, Bart and Andrew :cheers:

Because the racing was so close, it wasn't so much who could drive the fastest as who had the best racecraft, which is definitely a weakness for me, though I think I've improved over the last few days.

And here's a little surprise: it's the epic duel I had with Andrew last night. Since I can't afford an HD PVR at the moment, witness the iPhone 4 record mode in all its glory :)

By the way, I have to be up in the morning so I can't make the NA event. :( I'll update my registration.

Looking at your registration. You're in don't worry. I'll see why it's not showing up, but in any case I have you on the list.

Can you submit a practice time too... if you ran earlier in a room maybe your best lap? That will let us know which room to put you in.

EDIT: Fixed, you'll show up on the next image refresh... we actually ran out of rows in the google spreadsheet... interest at an all time high so can't complain. I added more rows... keep 'em coming.
current best lap is a 1:43.961. Cheers:)

Here are the room assignments for the NA race:

Race #1 (Lobby # 1472-6399-8451-1924-4228)
  1. GTP_oink
  2. GTP_JTV
  3. GTP_Eternal
  4. GTP_Gravitron
  5. joshcleveland
  6. GTP_Patrick1
  7. GTP_NishRacer
  8. GTP_EDK
  9. Seize_HKS
  10. biohazard_1420
  11. bsholmes199
Room #2 (Lobby # 1472-4710-9952-5897-4253)
  1. GTP_WRP001
  2. GTP_otxjto
  3. GTP_Tombstoneplt
  4. GTP_Allibubba99
  5. Steve_Justice
  6. GTP_Eggstor
  7. SteelToedSloth
  8. GTP_AspecBob
  9. GTP_WORLDFAMOUS07
  10. LuniLegend_59
  11. billyturmoil
  12. SFCJoMe

If you don't use a GTP tag PSN please type "GTP WRS" upon entry to identify yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a way I can race in lobby#2 instead of number one? I have a buddy racing in #2 and it'd be cool to beat him personally.

If that's not possible, I'd be happy racing in #1.

Is there a way I can race in lobby#2 instead of number one? I have a buddy racing in #2 and it'd be cool to beat him personally.

If that's not possible, I'd be happy racing in #1.

No problem. We lost Ferrari so we have room.

Back