GTP WRS-Online (*GT6*): Event 122 : Fuji(Nissan) GT(-R) V2.0 - January 22, 2014

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 319 comments
Quick question about the formation lap? Does the game not automatically put you into the correct position on the grid after qualification based on the fastest time? Or am i missing something?

I believe that was a glich that was corrected in the 2nd or 3rd 1.03x update. It was fine in a room last night.

I believe that was a glich that was corrected in the 2nd or 3rd 1.03x update. It was fine in a room last night.

No, it's still a bug. The first week we used qualification "race together" mode and that seemed to work in my room fine. I don't remember any reports of issues. The "race alone" mode gets it's completely wrong. 3 out of 3 rooms were messed up completely on the grid and required a reshuffle. See Tidgney's Benny Hill video as we had to shuffle ourselves.

Quick question about the formation lap? Does the game not automatically put you into the correct position on the grid after qualification based on the fastest time? Or am i missing something?

So, given my answer above and the tendency for PD to never consistently get the order correct on the grid (unless you use grid based on previous result) we use a formation lap to solve the problem. The game can put you on the grid anywhere and during the formation lap the drivers can sort themselves properly (the race director will call/type out the order). The pole sitter leaves the grid, picks his preferred side and then proceeds slowly. The other drivers then just form up in order alternating right/left/right/left with a stagger. The stagger should be such that no driver overlaps another but they are fairly tight. It's basically a moving starting grid, not a two wide NASCAR start. This stagger gives more space and better visibility during the formation and the launch. When all drivers are in position the pole sitter picks up the pace slightly. When approaching the final section the pole sitter will slow a bit again to allow cars to close ranks and then continues at the published formation lap speed. We use two different speed limits depending on the track and the position of the starting line relative to the final corner. When it's a tricky transition we use a lower speed to make sure the last guys on the grid aren't left hanging. It's important that the pole sitter in particular understand that he is driving the show and needs to be aware and use his mirror and map. If someone is lagging or something doesn't look right slow down a bit. A steward will usually be on a mic to alert and even call a stop if there are issues.

So the formation lap can allow us to use any qualification method including a pre-determined starting order and doesn't depend on PD. Believe me, that's a plus. Also, sometimes you'll have a black screen or major lag right at the start. The formation lap means that doesn't really impact your race. Another plus.

We also have two variations on the start.

Usually the formation lap is followed by a rolling start. The pole sitter, going the speed limit, accelerates to race pace at the starting line after the formation lap. All other drivers accelerate when the driver in front of them does (not when they cross the line). We expect all drivers to do this and if one jumps expect a penalty and it's easy to spot. We've given out a few. If you accidentally jump a bit, just self correct by lifting to maintain your original position and you won't have to worry. We only penalize infractions if you don't self correct. If you forget to accelerate or lag way behind on the other hand, don't expect everyone behind you to wait. We expect everyone to be alert and have reasonable reaction time.

We don't want any passes before the start finish (unless someone is asleep at the wheel) and normally there shouldn't be any passes before the braking zone unless there is a driver error involved. If you find yourself making 2+ passes on the straight ask yourself how you got there... you better have good evidence because you'll most likely end up in kangaroo court after the race. :sly:

The other variation is just to go park on the grid again after the formation lap and do a start at a set time on the clock... F1 style. Again, jumping gets you penalized and is easy to spot on the replay. On a long track that takes forever to do a formation we may skip the formation and just do an organized shuffle (benny hill style) and again start at a set time on the clock.

Typically the rolling starts are a bit more spread out (accordion style if done right) and have resulted in cleaner starts in most situations. But there are some tracks (madrid is an example) where grid starts and the resulting slower turn 1 speed give enough benefit to use standing starts.

If walls of text scared them, they wouldn't have gotten this far... Have you seen the 3rd post in every event thread or the registry qualifier? :lol:

Seriously, we have a lot of procedures and regulations for a reason and not because we like to here ourselves type. We've been doing this for 2+ years online and 10+ years offline so a lot of information gets accumulated and needs to be communicated.

PS. I'll stop before this becomes another wall.

Ahh I see. So its just a work around for a PD bug. The last event was my first proper online GT experience so i wasnt aware of this bug or formation laps tbh. The video explained it pretty well though! :cheers:
Was just confused why they had to re-shuffle the line up. And the imformative reply has left me with no doubt what to do. :D

Set up a room for a few practice laps if anyone wants to join!

1472-6118-4130-9222-1772

Might join you for this one 👍

No time yet on online lobby, just tried the combo offline.

Will try to join some Lobby to try it with you :cheers:

I couldn't find couttsy's room anymore so I created a new one.

1472-6399-8665-9407-8904

Last edited:
👍
I couldn't find couttsy's room anymore so I created a new one.

1472-6339-8665-9407-8904
Had to leave for a bit. Away back on now will join you.

Edit: have you posted the right number? It says room not found??

Try changing 6339 to 6399. Or, go up to the track selection filter and search for rooms at Fuji.

Sorry, got the room number wrong. It was 6399 indeed.

1472-6399-8665-9407-8904 closed

Last edited:
Just had a pretty good practice session but kept on getting disconnected so I finally gave up. Would like to give special thanks to Bart (Pasm) for letting me play follow the leader with him so I good get the braking points and driving line down. Really helped a lot and thanks for all the other tips also Bart, appreciate it. I haven't ran this track a whole lot so I need all the practice I can get. Going to practice on my own for awhile and I'll try connecting online again tomorrow. Thanks again Bart, you were a big help. :cheers:

Good practice guys. If I can continue shaving a few tenths off every session I'll be somewhere!

I couldn't stay on the track so I got disgusted and left the room. Maybe I'll be able to do better tomorrow. You guy's are fast!!

I couldn't stay on the track so I got disgusted and left the room. Maybe I'll be able to do better tomorrow. You guy's are fast!!

Bart was telling us in the room that the car does not like to be over driven and is prone to bad over steer if you are too fast at the apex. Try to "slow down" and drive smoother and the time will appear. The 3rd sector in particular takes a gentle touch. As is always the case a slow entry and early exit is what you are shooting for. Easier said than done, I know. :sly:

Yeh I remember having a bit of trouble with this combo in GT5. Spent half the race going sideways and burning rubber.

I put up a decent time (for me) earlier, but felt like I was on marbles in Bart's room. Maybe the exhaust fumes did me in!!

I hope to join y'all later for some practice, I love this combo, makes me reminisce about GT5P.
I just hope my sucky internet ping doesn't create too much lag, if my car teleports randomly I apologize. :dunce:

Billy and Andrew - Can you tell us what your up/down and pings are usually? We're trying different lobby settings to see if we can accommodate the majority.

Speedtest.net from a pc that is connected in the same manner as your ps3 would suffice, ie wired vs wireless. Wired is much preferred.

I should be on for some practice in about an hour. 👍

17ms ping, 12.91 mbps download (:mad: This is normally waaay faster! 65 mbps!) 2.23 upload mbps (:indiff: This one's normal)

Router is NAT 2, PS3 is (trying to be) in the DMZ... Everything should be fine... :mad:

Edit: :lol: Switched server, suddenly 13ms ping, 27.84 mbps DL, 2.12 mbps upload.

Edit: Another new server... ping = 12ms, 51.67 mbps DL, 2.10 mbps UL.

I give up on understanding this internet thing. A server 100 km. away in a hicktown is 4x as fast.

Practice room up with Race Quality at Standard (the middle setting), feel free to join:

1472-6399-8494-1421-5558

6 guys in the room and my ps3 locked up for the first time in GT6, while exiting from track back to lounge. I'll try getting back in, assuming the whole thing didn't blow up.

No, still 4 of us here. Gayle left, but I think that was voluntarily.

6 guys in the room and my ps3 locked up for the first time in GT6, while exiting from track back to lounge. I'll try getting back in, assuming the whole thing didn't blow up.
I pulled out of the room, wasn't doing much better than my best just burning rubber!! Thanks for opening the room Lucas.

Well I've tested my signal several times, DL/UL range 4-6mbps, ping ranges 90-120ms. Not great. :ouch:
I'll try to be on in an hour or so. 👍

Just me left now, I'll leave this Standard Race Quality setting room up since your connection should be able to handle one other car on track just fine.

I'll be back to the wheel in 30min to do some laps with you. 👍

Same number: 1472-6399-8494-1421-5558

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back