GTP_Registry Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 2,665 comments
@DGiant2000 I just tried to send you an invite to the WRS club, but you set the online community settings in GT6 to not receive message from non-friends. You need to enable that for me to send the invite.

Sorry, that's predominantly down to my job! Will change it next time I'm logged on so that it'll work :)

I tried to register to wrs time trials but it is giving me a message saying it isn't in the correct format. I watched the video that was uploaded and did exactly as stated

Thank you for the reply back. I was trying to do it with to zip files (the megane rs trtrophat streets of willow and the bmw m3 at brands hatch grand prix circuit)

Thank you for the reply back. I was trying to do it with to zip files (the megane rs trtrophat streets of willow and the bmw m3 at brands hatch grand prix circuit)

Yeah that was the old procedure, but that's ok.

We all would like to impress GTP with our stunnig laps,... even if ... so a "naive" question: how not to keep overdoing while trying to get the best lap?

We all would like to impress GTP with our stunnig laps,... even if ... so a "naive" question: how not to keep overdoing while trying to get the best lap?
Focus on consistency. String many laps together, don't keep hitting the reset button. Repetition for emphasis, not over driving and crashes.

Ease into it, figure out your marks. What is the best braking point for each turn? (fixed object on the track or trackside, NOT the racing line). This is the point that lets you release the brake and make it to the apex at the right speed, without excessive coasting, and without missing the apex or sliding through it.

Where does the car like to be shifted? If you short shift or run it to the limiter above redline (as applicable), can you pull away from your ghost?

What's the proper line? Corners before long flat out sections are the most important. Carrying speed off straights into slower sections is often important. Apexes are obviously important, but the type you use can be dictated by the above. Late apex leading onto straights for earlier throttle application. Think turns like turn 11 (final turn) at Laguna Seca. Potentially early apex for corners at end of long straights to carry more speed. Think turns like turn 1 Suzuka, or Turn 1 at Apricot Hill.

1024px-Racing_Line_showing_earlier_and_later_apex.jpg

Keep the car under control, sliding it can be fast if it's the right amount, but that should come after you are comfortable with hitting your marks as described.

If the car is too much for you, consider driving it with limited power early on. Or, try a different, slower car to learn the line and track, and work your way up.

Participate in our events. Watch replays from fast drivers. Watch them in the driving view, imagine you are driving, and see what they are doing differently that you would have. Ask other drivers to look at your replay and provide perspective and advice.

Practice, practice, practice. ;)

Thanks @Thematic and @EDK for your precious advices, which I'll obviously use, but my concern is about laptimes...
Today I started the trial but everytime I get a "fast lap" I think I can do better...as you can imagine this is, as Byrne would say a "road to nowhere"!
Thanks!

Thanks @Thematic and @EDK for your precious advices, which I'll obviously use, but my concern is about laptimes...
Today I started the trial but everytime I get a "fast lap" I think I can do better...as you can imagine this is, as Byrne would say a "road to nowhere"!
Thanks!
OK - Maybe I am not interpreting your question correctly.

"How do I keep from overdoing?" to me means -

"How do I keep from driving the car past the limit?"

To you it might mean -

"How do I keep from spending too much time in the day running these?"

Or if you think you are overdriving it, it might mean, "How do I keep from shifting into a gear with a ratio of less than 1:1?" ;)

If you mean, how do I not spend too much time on this? My advice would be to limit your sessions to one hour or less. Potentially even shorter time, 30 minutes.

More sessions for shorter periods of time will generally yield better results than fewer sessions for longer periods of time.

And if that's not what you are asking, please clarify, as I am not sure how I can help you. :)

Thanks!
... that fact will stay forever. There's no real perfect lap. We're all humans and do tiny mistakes. @EDK s guide to learn sounds great. Another thing where you can learn tons in little time is to join online practice lobbys or just watch a race and then analyze the replay. The data logger within gt6 can be helpful as well to see exactly where you can do better. Personally I prefer watching my laps and analyze mistakes optically. Next time I just try to prevent them.
You've one full week to get the max out of your driving and where you end is the best possible under given conditions.

welcome and have fun chasing the lap of your life :cheers:

I really enjoy being here in the WRS crowd and I can't wait for my Division Placement (in fact, I'd love to have the Spyker time trial removed, and do the actual one instead, but I just didn't do better in that car so it's OK for me anyways and I have a challenge getting up in Divisions without too much start up pressure - overpowering is my problem, especially in a race but as well after seeing good splits in the TT ;) )
From the convo where I asked @Gravitron where I might start up after my first 3 TTs. Initial overpowering must not be the worst in the end...sweet memories :sly:

Thank you all. See you soon

I saw your post quite late so sorry about that. But if you're interested in my learning curve read these two post.
Thank you guys,

That's extremely close to a double promotion :P If only last time I had driven with my windows up :P But wasn't planning a long stay in div 3 gold anyways :P

Here is a (little) write up i'd made because I'd like to keep track of thoughts on becoming a better driver so I can use that to reflect. For some drivers it maybe of use to get better faster and to others it maybe be a fun read whilst taking a trip down memory lane:P Love to hear what you guys think about it!

GTP_Dutchy’s Curva Grande #1

Introduction.
This is an update I wrote to reflect on passed time on GTPlanet. I’m planning to make these every once in a while so I can keep track of my progress and thoughts in my learning Curve that’s why I call it “Dutchy’s Curva Grande”. Since I’ve recently been promoted for the first time since the quallifier I think now is a good time to reflect.

Joining WRS
As some of you may know and some of you don’t I’m a good friend of Bart (PASM). We met when I joined our University kart team “A la kart”. One day we talked about gaming and the conversation quickly turned to GT. I’ve played GT1,2,3 fanatacaly but in a casual way (read: dive bombing and carner cutting my way to the front. Then my intrest started to shift towards shooters for a while. I went to university and wanted a console so I bought the pack with GT5 and played that till BF3 came out. Anyway as our conversation went on about GT it became clear that Bart is a two times national finalist at GTAcademy and he told me about the awesome GTPlanet forum. He made quite enthousiastic about the whole GTPlanet thing. I waited a while and when the game was on sale I bought it and began straight away. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ntroduce-yourself.111998/page-54#post-9322709

DS3 v.s. Racingwheel
Since I only had a DS3 and really wanted to learn driving with a wheel, Bart borrowed me his DFP and instantly got hooked with the added fun it brings when running the quallifiers.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtp_wrsers-and-their-setups.233836/page-11#post-9365358
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtp_wrsers-and-their-setups.233836/page-12#post-9907747

But it also introduced a learning curve I wasn’t quite as fast with the wheel as I was with the DS3. However It wasn’t as big of an gap as it would be for more experienced guys I think. The reason is that I wasn’t so fast and I recently bought the game so I didn’t get used to controls with the DS3 that longer playing drivers would have. So it would be more easy to adapt because I had no experience. Also I found out during the quallifiers I was faster with a wheel in the BMW and I was faster with the controller in the Megane. I think this is because oversteer can be better controlled by a wheel because I can be more precise with it. But with an understeering car it’s easy for a newbie to keep turning the wheel when the front tires lose grip which will result in over compensating causing you to lose time. After the quallifier I made a bungeecord mod to my wheel. I didn’t have a choice I had signed up for my first real race with the Lotus Evora did some test runs and found out I was about 5 seconds a lap slower. When I did an investigation to the source of the problem i noticed the brake pedal had an issue causing it to always brake about 5%. Luckily I had a bungeecord and could resolve the issue in front of the race. Also I noticed a good difference in the feeling with the pedals and again I could be more precise and got more fun out of it. I got used to the wheel but as wanted to make the next step in my learning curve.

Shifting
My next move was to ditch the automatic and learn to drive the car manual. I always thought it would take my ages to get used to it and in the beginning I was all over the place. After a weak I eventually got the hang of it and with this I mean I was becomming faster than the automatic. It’s unbelievable what advantage can be gained from that. It’s not only the extra speed you can get out of the engine but also if you can select the gear yourself you have control over the traction, rotation and balance of the car. I.e. The automatic lets you take the corner in 2 while you ideally would be using three. With the automatic , the shift would occur mid corner causing weightshift which you have to correct losing you a tenth of more. Often do you find yourself looking for hours on end to find another tenth not knowing where to find it, but this is how easy it can be found in one corner. For the shifting I had to use the stick since the paddle was broken I got a work around by using triangle. It worked but wasn’t ideal. When I got the money I Bought an G27 and the shifting went really smooth. Another advantage of shifting yourself is the pleasure you get. It makes racing more real and inproves the overall expereience aswel!

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtp_wrsers-and-their-setups.233836/page-13#post-10014032

TT’s
I started with the matterhorn ZZII combo(week 9). I invested a lot of time since it was the first TT of the teamTT’s But unfortunately I didn’t make a negative handicap and to be honest I was quite bummed out because all off my efforts to improve weren’t enough. Also some problems came up in the TT team and after that I did do some TT work but not with the full commitment as in I didn’t invest enough effort. But then came the mazda is as mazda does combo(week 26). I really enjoyed it an I became quicker and quicker and in the en I got the pleasure back out of doing the TT’s and concentrating less on what’s not important the leaderboards. But focus more on what is Important. Lines, Precision knowing which gear should be used in a corner knowing what speeds will be needed at begining apex and end points. And by focussing on these things I became quicker. Which as a result had me climbing the leaderboard. So that gets you in a positive vibe throughout the TT. So by becomming more aware of what you should be focussing on, you approach toward a TT you can learn in a more constructive way. So after 17 weeks I got my plessure back but also my personal goals with a higher rate of improvement. After that combo I had quite a busy time because of my graduation project and vacation. When I came back from my vacation I had some money left and gave my self a g27 as a birthday gift. I had to get used to the whole thing since it was quite another experience thats why I was strugling to find the pase in the RUF TT (week 33). Fortunatly in week 35 Fast Fat Cat combo I had lot’s of time on my hands and i dedicated a lot of time to the combo I think about 15 hours. It really paid of because I could try different dings and could focus on each detail about time trailing and found more and more time. I set myself achievable goals (splits). And when I achieved them I would reflect on what could be better in my opnion. Next to that I began to benefit from the extra precision in the G27 wheel I got used to it and it definetly made an improvement. This week came an update screwing with de FFB settings. But I didn’t noticed anything different but anyway this also was advantage for me. Since the rest of the wrs’ers had to adjust to the situation. This week I ended winning the TT in division 3 by quite a length ad a whopping handicap of -1.3 something. It really gave my addiction a boost. My previous best result was 6thin div 3 quite an improvement. The next result would also be a win but in the roamin’ ponies. I loved the smal circuit with these big aircraft carier like cars. It was hard at times especially navigating the thing through the kink.

RACING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now this is where I went real enthousiastic about. So if anyone’s reading this thinking how to I improve fast but hasn’t run online WRS go to the form right now (or after reading this :P) and sign up. Seriously sign up. If you thought TTing was fun that you really should be doing this! There are great battle’s and great respect all over the place from p1 to p 16 and from Div1 gold to Div 4 bronze. Doesn’t matter if you are div 4 and you don’t think you have the skillset. It doesn’t matter just join thats all it takes to develop your driving and skills. Don’t be afraid we won’t bite, Promise! I can recommend it to anyone in the WRS it’s a great experience, To be honest it makes my kind of sad to see a lot of people only doing the TT and not doing the Race, because to me the racing is the most fun and I feel sad that a lot of people could get 40% more fun out of their game. If you don’t believe me sign up for one WRS race just take a look if it’s fun for you. Like I said don’t be afraid that you are not good enough, When you park your ass on the couch and never go racing you won’t develop the skills, so right now is a good moment to join up and go racing with these guys! So much for the peptalk. Let’s go racing...

I was one of those guys who was a bit scared to be honest. Afraid to bump anyone offtrack or be in the way as the leader lapped me. So Bart and I had little talk somewhere along the line of what you just read and I tried it. And I got hooked straight away all the clean driving, respect and great battle’s. When I was done with the first one the adrenaline was still pumping for an hour. It’s so intense. You’re not racing AI so it instantly becomes more engaging and knowing it comes down to how good you are to pass a guy doesn’t matter if it’s on track or by pitstrategy and when you finally get it done after 3 or so laps the sence of accomplishment is way more rewarding than becoming first in any offline race of ending up a TT podium. So as I progressed I did the HSV rae at silverstone which was a disappointment to me because the practice had gone very well but in the race I spun out multiple times. Then the mazda MX-5 race came along that was a whole new level of excitement. And also the adrenaline stayed longer and I felt I had to do something with the experience I just got and I wrote a race report after that.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...da-does-july-19-23.313340/page-5#post-9907317

So after this it was the special Tripple mix part deux I absolutely loved that one 3 sprint races in gt300 cars action all over the place every race a different car. I had some great battle’s. Let’s say that the GT300 got a specialplace in my heart and in the near future I want to do something with it.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...gust-2nd-21-00-gmt.312817/page-5#post-9944363

Anyway after that I had some connection problems in the RUF an de fast cat races. I had a lot of badluck at the scirocco event and then came the Roamin’ Ponies also lot’s of fun. Bart and I decided to make a video about it.

The last race I wanted to do was the WED’s Forrest. Where I managed my first pole position but had to drive in to the pits after the formation lap because of visibillity issues. That was quite a bummer specially since I really really really loved this combo also because of the GT300 car :D But there is still a chance for the EU race! :D

So quick recap: Get a wheel, Learn to shift, Paricipate in online races!!! :P

Hope you guys enjoyed the read other wise you propably wasted a lot of time :P

About an year ago i posted the first Dutchy’s Curva Grande. Since it’s an year later I think it’s a good moment to reflect on the passed year and summarize what I learned in...

Dutchy’s Curva Grande #2

Lets start of with the event that had the biggest impact in how I raced. I moved in with my girlfriend had a few projects and got a job, this sucked up most of my time and I couldn’t invest as much time as I would’ve liked to. Also keeping focus while driving has been more difficult when for example someone is vacuumcleaning the room your racing in.

Now we got that out of the way let’s move on to the racing part. In the first curva grande (CG) there where some basic techniques I learned which caused quite some big improvements. I learned to race with a wheel, I learned to shift manually and I invested a lot of time to get a better. That caused me to become a lot quicker over a short period of time.

Now I have less time, it’s crusial for me to use my time behind the wheel as efficiently as possible. I try to become better with each session I have behind the wheel. I always do this with a couple of thoughts in my head. I try to be as smooth as a babies bottom when it comes to the inputs I give, use the maximum width of the track and I try to go in slow and get out quick. For most of the guy’s here this is nothing new. Still it took me some time to perfect and get comfortable and consistent with. I’ve learned this proces will go on forever, there is always something to perfect. Looking at the replays I can clearly see I became better at this. Another thing that helped me a lot this year was trailbraking. By the time I wrote CG1 I wasn’t totally awear of this technique nor did I know how to use it. This year I focussed on this a much as possible I think this is one of the mainpoints I became better at and which caused me to become a lot quicker relative to other techniques I included or tried to perfect. For those who don’t know what trailbraking is I suggest googling for it because there are ton’s of people who are better at explaining this technique than I am. Another thing I became better at is reading the track. I tend to look further ahead and scan what the track in front of me is like is it going down? Means more speed means longer brakingzone. Does it have possitive or negative camber so does it allow me to get through it with extra speed or should I lose some speed. What is the surface like. Can or can’t I touch the curbstones. All these things I try to think of before I’m actually on that part of the track. In my opinion the Nordschleiffe is the perfect track to practice this. These are the major points I improved on in the passed year I believe. Besides that there’s a bunch of little tips and trick’s the guys inGTP Endurance Series ( Avalerion, Hyperion and WRS NA ) gave me which also piles up to be a big improvement in my race craft. in example I think I would still brake and then turn if it wasn’t for steve and bart telling me how I could do a trailbrake.

Now we touched the subject of the Endurance Series this also has been a big part of my past gt6 year. One which I enjoyed and absolutely hated mostly at different times but sometimes both at once. I Learned a lot about strategy, race craft and how important testing is while also learning a ton about being a teammanager, commentator and interviewer. Although I’ve been very busy with the series, somehow the star(t)s never really alligned so I couldn’t actually participate in any of them apart from the V8 Vigalante’s support race which I absolutely loved doing. I think it was one of my strongest performances in online racing to date. Ian started that race and did an amazing job giving me the car in first or second position. I drove a pretty consistent race and after the nerfs calmed down I really got in to my rythm until I had a crash on top of mount panorama the car infront of me made contact with the wall and was trying to rejoining track just after the top of the hill so I never saw him standing there. When i came over the top of the hill we had a massive accident. Because of this i had massive damage and had to limp to the pits. Some guys passed us and after the restart just before the end a lot of people where involved in a pile up just before the last corner luckilly this time I could avoid all of them and came across the line in 2nd.

In the WRS I think my best moment/enjoyed combo was the inferno rosso. I really learned a lot and had a lot of fun on that one. Nothing beats the sence of accomplishment after driving 7 minutes with a knife between your teeth and a cup of sweat in your buttcrack to find out you got faster. That being said also nothing beats the frustration after screwing up a best lap in the final chicane because you got to greedy. I don’t recall who made the following sentence but it is one i believe is true. The difference between the fast and the really fast guys on this track is how much risk you’re willing to take in those last corners. Most of the drivers don’t want to screw up their lap an built in a small buffer. The really fast guys just go 100% the enitre way around. I think that sentence applies to a lot things in racing and in life. If you give it a 100% effort all of the time eventually you’ll be rewarded and on that bombshell it’s time to end!

Help!
Just submitted my replay data using the procedure shown in GTP_WRS Registration.
This is how OLR Team replied:
"GTP_WRS Registration FAILED - You must attach 1 valid Gran Turismo replay file (while being signed into PSN) as outlined in the registration thread."

Now:
1 - I did the time trials "while being signed into PSN", as said
2 - uploaded the two zipped replay data in the WRSFetchBot conversation, as paragraph "Instructions for Registration Submission" says

What did I miss? Where have I gone wrong?

That may not be necessary if I'm understanding correctly, try uploading one file, if that fails then add one of the admins to the conversation. The registration now is just to get registered in the system, what you send is largely irrelevant bar being a best lap replay that includes your PSN information.

Edit: also, if they are entries for the current time trials then you will still need to submit them as outlined in the first post of their respective threads if you wish to enter.

thanks @mistersafeway
should I upload a single file with both replay data or should I repeat the procedure twice?
...sorry guys, to me it's better to sound like a stupid and ask stupid questions than be a stupid and pretend that I have understood...

No problem at all, most of us forget to do that on occasion, me included. :lol: Just do the same thing with only one file, hopefully that will work.

last question: @GTP_Dutchy @Meister Fetz @mistersafeway ...besides WRS is there any specific club or onlinerace you can suggest?
We run our online races over here. Now that you are in the registry, you can participate.

The online race for this event will run on Wednesday, with 2 time slots, 20:00 GMT and 2 am GMT Thursday.

We also run Saturday races at 20:00 GMT. This coming Saturday we will be racing the Nova. We raced the Skyline last Saturday.

Back