GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 119 : Taking Your Girl for a Scenic Drive

• Thread starter EDK
  • 163 comments
Why are the European's soo much faster, and the Japanese for that matter, is it their version of GT? Pardon me for such a lame question! :dunce:

Not sure that they are Gayle, it's probably more a case that there are proportionately more of us Europeans and Asians playing the game so it looks a little skewed

That said my copy of GT5 says it's 3 seconds faster than NTSC versions :lol: (Oh how I wish that were true )

Argon
That said my copy of GT5 says it's 3 seconds faster than NTSC versions :lol: (Oh how I wish that were true )
I knew it! So in reality the U.S. drivers are about two seconds faster than everyone else, that makes more sense. :)

How popular is the game in your area, because I've never met someone in person who still plays it on a regular basis.

I knew it! So in reality the U.S. drivers are about two seconds faster than everyone else, that makes more sense. :)

How popular is the game in your area, because I've never met someone in person who still plays it on a regular basis.

Hard to say but I still have to have my GT fix very regularly or at least as regularly as work permits. I'd love to have more time to be honest, I bought a wheel a few months back and have all but given up using it. My times went through the floor with it and I just don't seem to get enough seat time to fix the problems :indiff:

Do you have any advice on how to go about learning a new track, besides the obvious just doing laps. I mean, is there a particular way to go about doing it? How do you go about learning a new track, and not develope any bad habits for that track from the beginning.

It depend the car and track, i first try to understand what the car like, and the first thing is to run laps just enought to know the circuit, then i stop, the next day or session later it become easier and i know where to start to push, i just look for the shortest line, the closest you can run to the apex the faster you will go (normaly) sometimes you need to run wide for the next few corners.... and try to find where you need to brake to have the faster exit, sometimes braking late will ruin the exit and you lose more than you win.

Im a little busy, have to go to work, but i can try to explain better in PM when ill get back from work. :)

The most important thing in GT5 you need to brake once, release throttle, trailbrake if needed and accelerate as soon as possible all that once, if you have to wait between you lose time, coasting dont happen a lot except if you have no choice. Then try to find the line that will allow a fast exit.

Goodluck!

Last edited:
It depend the car and track, i first try to understand what the car like, and the first thing is to run laps just enought to know the circuit, then i stop, the next day or session later it become easier and i know where to start to push, i just look for the shortest line, the closest you can run to the apex the faster you will go (normaly) sometimes you need to run wide for the next few corners.... and try to find where you need to brake to have the faster exit, sometimes braking late will ruin the exit and you lose more than you win.

Im a little busy, have to go to work, but i can try to explain better in PM when ill get back from work. :)

The most important thing in GT5 you need to brake once, release throttle, trailbrake if needed and accelerate as soon as possible all that once, if you have to wait between you lose time, coasting dont happen a lot except if you have no choice. Then try to find the line that will allow a fast exit.

Goodluck!

Thanks for the expert advice, really appreciate you taking the time to do so. The part of your post that I have bolded is really what I am having a problem with. When you get time, if you have any tips on how I can improve what I have bolded, that would be cool. Thanks again for your time and advice.

There's no substitute for a good visual aid Mitch - the videos and replays of the fastest guys show everything you need to know. The trick is putting it all together of course - feel for where the grip is and bit by bit experiment with braking zones and getting on the throttle quicker. The temptation is always to 'overdrive' - braking too late, trying to carry in too much speed, being to eager on the throttle. Its better to be smooth but remember that you always have to be on the edge of grip to maximise the tyres.... the only approach to take in finding that point is to start off with a few slow smooth laps in any combo to feel the grip and pick a good racing line and then gradually build the speed - later on the brakes, faster apexes, earlier throttle etc. Then push it too hard, lose it a few times, spin the wheels up, lock up going in.. then back it off again... then take a break and visualise the track corner by corner to compare where and how you're losing time from your best corners. This is where the ghost is handy at first - some corners/bends you will nail spot on, then in the next lose time again. Relax into the rhythm as you build speed and feel the grip without thinking too hard. I'm afraid the old Bruce Lee cliche of "Don't think, feel" is quite apt.

I suspect that there are some guys who take a more game orientated mathematical approach of "I can brake here this hard, I can carry X mph in here, I can get on the throttle here" etc but I started out on real tracks in cars and on bikes and the track and tyres and brakes are like living things that are always changing so that approach doesn't work - for me the transition to being fast on GT wasn't easy, mostly due to the lack of feedback from the brakes, my backside, g-forces etc... but once you are happy with your wheel, the nuances of FFB do tell your brain what it needs to know.

There's no substitute for a good visual aid Mitch - the videos and replays of the fastest guys show everything you need to know. The trick is putting it all together of course - feel for where the grip is and bit by bit experiment with braking zones and getting on the throttle quicker. The temptation is always to 'overdrive' - braking too late, trying to carry in too much speed, being to eager on the throttle. Its better to be smooth but remember that you always have to be on the edge of grip to maximise the tyres.... the only approach to take in finding that point is to start off with a few slow smooth laps in any combo to feel the grip and pick a good racing line and then gradually build the speed - later on the brakes, faster apexes, earlier throttle etc. Then push it too hard, lose it a few times, spin the wheels up, lock up going in.. then back it off again... then take a break and visualise the track corner by corner to compare where and how you're losing time from your best corners. This is where the ghost is handy at first - some corners/bends you will nail spot on, then in the next lose time again. Relax into the rhythm as you build speed and feel the grip without thinking too hard. I'm afraid the old Bruce Lee cliche of "Don't think, feel" is quite apt.

I suspect that there are some guys who take a more game orientated mathematical approach of "I can brake here this hard, I can carry X mph in here, I can get on the throttle here" etc but I started out on real tracks in cars and on bikes and the track and tyres and brakes are like living things that are always changing so that approach doesn't work - for me the transition to being fast on GT wasn't easy, mostly due to the lack of feedback from the brakes, my backside, g-forces etc... but once you are happy with your wheel, the nuances of FFB do tell your brain what it needs to know.

Alright, thanks for the detaled advice. Will take and practice what you preach. With all this advice, it has become clear to me where my downfalls may be. I think I am approaching things wrong right from the beginning it seems. There are some things that I know how to do, its just getting the body to follow the mind. I was just thinking that it may be my technic that is holding me back. Anyways, thanks for your time and advice Chris and I will certainly put it in practice. :cheers:

I have (and use) both versions. The PAL version really is about 2-3 seconds per lap quicker!

And then there's a bridge in Brooklyn that you might be interested in buying :-)

I have (and use) both versions. The PAL version really is about 2-3 seconds per lap quicker!

And then there's a bridge in Brooklyn that you might be interested in buying :-)
I knew it! My Grandparents came over from Sweden and England in 1900's so I should be 2-3 seconds faster?? Can't afford the bridge. HEE HEE I'm gonna give my back hell later and try for some decent splits.

You do know what you can do with your :censored:cago Blackhawks, right? :lol: In case you haven't noticed, I live in Detroit and am a very devoted RedWings fan. 👍 Besides the Tigers, they are the only hometown team I route for. Besides that, I despise any :censored:cago team. :yuck:

Just a little friendly trash talk for you from a Detroit guy. 👍

Bah, go toss an octopus! ;)

Actually I did notice, but it just occurred to me. :dunce: Being a White Sox fan as well I don't much like the Tigers either. :D Must say though that when Chicago and Detroit get together for any kind of sports the games are always interesting no matter how well or not each team is doing.

Back to racing, spent some time on this and improved by 3 tenths but I still gain on my ghost going up the hill. I think I gained most of the time in T3 but I have no idea since I was too tired to pull splits. :embarrassed:

Um, I can barely break 51 seconds at 325hp and can't get under 32.0 in sector 2, am I missing some kind of special technique here? I don't understand why I'm so slow....

Tried both the setups posted.

Isn't the max on this closer to 330HP? Could it simply be an oil change? .....probably not. :embarrassed:

Nah I think it's more about a talent change :lol:

Put chassis reinforcement on ( straws, clutching!) and got an improvement

I started out w/ Kevin's setup then twisted it and changed it and loosened it and tightened it :banghead: got frustrated started going backwards felt more comfortable when hanging it out and then everything was a drifting challenge and then went back to where I started from and "magic" :lol:

Worked for me........ :dunce:

Thanks for the expert advice, really appreciate you taking the time to do so. The part of your post that I have bolded is really what I am having a problem with. When you get time, if you have any tips on how I can improve what I have bolded, that would be cool. Thanks again for your time and advice.

No problem :)

Chris explained it well, and like he said, the best line to use is not always what look natural to do. Ill try to give you some example in PM from the last week event. :)

edit: Heres my T1, not perfect but will give an idea :)
Like Chris would say, you can ''trash it mercilessly'' (spelling?) in the first right hand corner :D so far it seem to work need to spend more time though.

Last edited:
First splits, using Kevin's tune.

Also, thanks for posting the tunes,advice and videos everyone,really helps.👍

Ive only had one go at this & am away for a long weekend, so I guess that's it for me for this one. My car is still way under-powered anyway... :(

Last edited:

Lost a tenth in T1 and two tenths in T2, but I seriously improved T3. I've gotten as low as 18.20x in T1 and 31.20x in T2 but I can't string it together :banghead:

I'm afraid the old Bruce Lee cliche of "Don't think, feel" is quite apt. but once you are happy with your wheel, the nuances of FFB do tell your brain what it needs to know.
“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.”
― Bruce Lee

Missed my apex and hesitated on exit on the last corner, cost me some time. But more than happy with the rest. Probably will just submit with these. Using EDK's suspension with custom tranny and LSD (6/18/6).

Latest Posts

Back