GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 12 : Gee Tee Eye

• Thread starter EDK
  • 378 comments
In my opinion the main key this week is to make the gear shifting properly...I found that interesting yesterday, I almost improved 1.7 seconds just by shifting just at the beginning of the red line:
Here are the speeds I am changing gears in case someone wants to give it a try:

2nd: 92 km/h
3rd: 130 km/h
4th: 170 km/h

Going to the limiter will kill speed big time...for sure!

I am shifting a bit earlier than this, at about 5km/h less than those speeds. I feel it's a bit faster, but it could just be in my head.:dopey:

I am shifting a bit earlier than this, at about 5km/h less than those speeds. I feel it's a bit faster, but it could just be in my head.:dopey:
Me too at about 6500 rpm.
I guess I did, milross.:P

Also shifting at 6500, although 4 to 5 a little earlier (6250 marker), especially on the run down the hill after T1. The engine has a good chunk of torque and I was previously shifting at 6k which worked well, but found about .25 going up the hill by shfting slightly later. I can well imagine Ash that you've found a sweet spot - will give it a try tonight (yes I know it's tonight for you at the moment, I'm talking in 14 hours time :sly:)

Last edited:
Thanks ASH and Wes, I will give it a try shifting earlier at 6500 RPM. I made the exercise shifting at about 5000 RPM (since max power is @ 5100 RPM) but with poor results.

That brings me to a mechanical question...in this car's case (VW Golf), the max torque is between 1800 and 5000 RPM and the max power is at 5100 RPM, so technically you should shift at 5100 RPM or the main point is to bring the car to a RPM range where the next shift will have the RPMs starting at the max power RPM? (I hope I could communicate clearly my question).

Thanks for sharing, that's why I love WRS, the main point I think is to learn something new every time...winning is a plus but not the main objective I would say.

Last edited:
Lyvan, the aim is to bring the engine back to the 'sweet spot' at or just below 5000rpm, after the gear change. So change at 6500rpm in 3rd to drop the engine to around 5000rpm in 4th.

If you change at 5100rpm, you'll drop too far down the power curve, despite torque being flat (a trend of modern passenger car turbo engines) and lose some speed, as you've found.

I know I could have explained this better (and can do if necessary), but I'm in an audio conference at the moment!

EDIT: I agree with your perspective on the WRS. I'm learning things about the tracks, the individual cars and how to make them fast in combination. I hit a 41 flat last night, but then introduced the car to the wall on the second lap - I don't seem to be learning that lesson :D

Last edited:
New splits:
T1: 26.969
T2: 32.512
T3: 40.065

Better overal time.

Now where are all the other D1'ers???

I was thinking the same about Div 5??
It's getting pretty lonely down here . . .

Thanks for sharing, that's why I love WRS, the main point I think is to learn something new every time...winning is a plus but not the main objective I would say.

Well said Lyvan, I have learnt alot since joining WRS.
The best thing i have found is that everyone it seems is willing to share hints and tips to be faster.
It's like throwing out the challenge to better yourself . . . Here's HOW you do it, now try to ACTUALLY do it.
Ofcourse this has also been the root of alot of frustration for me but ya get that too . . .

Cheers All !!!

Last edited:
Ideal shift point for any car is when the rpms you shift at yield the same hp as the rpms youll be running in the next gear. Since hp is an equation based off torque to define the driving force you have at any given rpm rate, torque is not a factor in shift points. To further elaborate, 200ftlbs @ 2000 rpm is less than 80hp, while 100ftlbs @ 5250rpms is 100hp, and you will accelerate faster at that rpm range. Either way shift point for this car is best between 6200-6500 as has been previously said. Hope that helps.

Me too at about 6500 rpm.
I guess I did, milross.:P

That T3 would scare anyone Wes, especially with broken pedals 👍 No need to fix them yet, let us catch up first :sly:

I've found the time in T3 is definitely in that chicane, seen about 3 times 40.5xx now. I'm becoming a bit more analytical about it now, saved my replay and trying to see exactly where the braking marker is and what line I was taking. You just need to hold your breath and dive in under brakes, I was being way too careful before which produces 40.9xx.

T1 I've got sorted, 26.9xx alot now. I throttle off in 5th into the first kink before the left hander and begin my braking just as I'm almost midway inside the kink. I found if you drop to 4th before the kink it slows you down too much. Still getting a feel for using 1st or 2nd at that hairpin, in actual fact the time seems to be the same if I do it correctly in 2nd gear, but seem to be more consistent if I use 1st.

Great little challenge this, favors consistency over the 2 laps and is really difficult to nail that T3 chicane twice :)

@Vagabond
So jealous now, is that the standard paddle shifters or you got the larger ones. They look huge compared to the G27 one.

@Vagabond
So jealous now, is that the standard paddle shifters or you got the larger ones. They look huge compared to the G27 one.

They're the Clubsport ones that are included in the box. The smaller ones I haven't tried yet... The only small tiny thing that could be said is a minor down-side of the GT3 is the shifter switches, to which the paddles are mounted - nowhere near as sturdy or "positive" as the Logitech ones. Other than that I could ramble on like a Fanatec salesman... :)

I'm not up to speed yet though and am not yet matching my G25 times with it, so I'm probably going to give this week a miss while I practice.

Good luck all. :) Wes and Zoky at it again... great times guys 👍

Thanks Carlos, BloodiMayhem and CSL for your comments and explainations. With this info for sure I will finally make some use of the Max Power data.

T1: 27.662
T2: 33.931
T3 41.526

Finally got the switch back wired :)

T1: 27.576
T2: 33.699
T3: 41.828
I'll take what I can get at this point :lol:

For some reason I can’t figure out how I can be so far out of the hunt. I’m just clueless, 3+ out? :crazy: mannnn

Last edited:
T1 I've got sorted, 26.9xx alot now. I throttle off in 5th into the first kink before the left hander and begin my braking just as I'm almost midway inside the kink. I found if you drop to 4th before the kink it slows you down too much. Still getting a feel for using 1st or 2nd at that hairpin, in actual fact the time seems to be the same if I do it correctly in 2nd gear, but seem to be more consistent if I use 1st.

Thanks for the tips Sid 👍 I can get a .2 in at T1 reasonably regularly and even seen a mid .1, but it seems from what you've said that I'm braking too early at the kink, and I hadn't even tried 1st at the hairpin.

Am due some more lappery tonight, so will give it a go :cheers:

EDIT: Lefty, seems you're losing a chunk in T2. You using third for the middle twisty sector? You need to stay tight for both the long lefts in that sector, especially the second one as it's off camber and very easy to run wide.

All the above is my own opinion and recognising I'm no expert :lol:

T1: 27.576
T2: 33.699
T3: 41.828

Lefty, seems you're losing a chunk in T2. You using third for the middle twisty sector? You need to stay tight for both the long lefts in that sector, especially the second one as it's off camber and very easy to run wide.

Thankzzz…Carlos, on the shifting deal I’m an Auto runner so shifting is done by Kaz, in the sweepers I do jump a little outside to keep my momentum up and tighten up for exit to come out faster pre long straight max speed. Hopefully my speed at the end of the straight can beat my conservative ghost that might hug the inside.

I finally got a full max Grand Slam, my best three shows (ea sector record), my best lap beating my prev. record and then beating the record that I just set 👍

T1: 27.372
T2: 33.590
T3 41.408

I’m happier now :)
Finally cracked the 43 barrier :lol:
I'm getting closer "Ak".....lol

Last edited:
Yo Lefty, and why haven't you tried going manual? There is potentially a lot of time to be shaved by driving manual...

Thanks Carlos, BloodiMayhem and CSL for your comments and explainations. With this info for sure I will finally make some use of the Max Power data.

Call me Adam, less of a mouthfull!

Yo Lefty, and why haven't you tried going manual? There is potentially a lot of time to be shaved by driving manual...

Bit scary as i am already driving a manual (and still lagging behind), I think I need to be a bit more aggressive with my breaking points on a few turns and a bit more cautious with where i stomp on the gas.
Plenty of time yet.

Cheers All !!!

It all goes back to the Academy Quali, I was putting in 6-8 hrs ea day at the beggining shifting my azz off and about half that at the end. Somewhare in the middle the tendons in my wrist decided that the weard little wheel and the paddle shifting were a no no and they turned red hot :( I knew that my shifting days were over. I have tried to come back and sneek in some shifting time and the fire comes back. So at least in the pretend racing I'm just going to be one of the fastest Auto jockies and that is as good as it's going to get. I wish I could go back but at least for a while longer I still want to take it easy.

Bit scary as i am already driving a manual (and still lagging behind), I think I need to be a bit more aggressive with my breaking points on a few turns and a bit more cautious with where i stomp on the gas.
Plenty of time yet.

If you want to get good at breaking go Auto then you have no choice but.... :lol:

If you get the track wired running Auto and then go back to manuel to cut the fat, that might work. 👍

Last edited:
More time off!! More to come!

T1: 27.839
T2: 33.552
T3: 41.718
(1'43.109)

CdM_7_sml85.jpg

CdM_10_sml85.jpg

CdM_11_sml85.jpg

CdM_13_sml85.jpg

More improvement...I guess the RPM range is indeed super important

T1: 27.266
T2: 32.872
T3: 40.593

Nice pics Tim - I use a silver one so it's easier to see through the ghost!

I decided to map my G25 to turn on/off the ghost since my fast lap as with a white Golf, it was getting pretty distractive. I used a blue one as well, and is very discrete as well.

Some tips for gear choice for those concerned : 2nd gear for 1st turn, and the chicane at the very end of the lap, 3rd gear for everything else, including the roundabout. Plus my ghost says shift at 54 76 and 102mph. New splits after 25 laps banging my head are 27.2 33.0 40.8 Total lap = 1'41.2xx Went cautious on my second lap cause I dont know how many runs Ill make If I can bring myself to do any. Glad I hung in there (thanks EDK) for some more respectable laps.

That T3 would scare anyone Wes, especially with broken pedals 👍 No need to fix them yet, let us catch up first :sly:

I've found the time in T3 is definitely in that chicane, seen about 3 times 40.5xx now. I'm becoming a bit more analytical about it now, saved my replay and trying to see exactly where the braking marker is and what line I was taking. You just need to hold your breath and dive in under brakes, I was being way too careful before which produces 40.9xx.

Great little challenge this, favors consistency over the 2 laps and is really difficult to nail that T3 chicane twice :)

@Vagabond
Thanks, I ordered a G27 yesterday. It should be here tomorrow. Let's see how close I can get to my time.:)

EDIT: I'm shifting down to 4th gear before the kink and I'm doing the first corner in 2nd gear. I've seen lots of .8 T1's and one .768 as my best.

Last edited:
Is that the kink left or kink right? I'm changing to 4th at about 78mph and in to 5th at about 105.

Pretty good morning session in sectors 1 and 3, faster in both, but slow in T2, unable to break the .9s for some reason.

Back