GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 7 : First Stop on the Grand Tour

• Thread starter EDK
  • 370 comments
I think the 4 hour endurance race at the ring (28 laps) last night helped me a little bit. 👍
You mean the one that you quit too early for and have to run again? I won't tell ANYBODY!!! :sly:

What's leftover after a Lefty-button-mash-loss-of-best-lap. He warned us. I didn't listen.

Any advice on how to launch this the most effective way. So far both throttle control launch and just dumping the gas seem to have the same effect/time. Tried launching in 2nd and didn't work very well :)

Not even sure if the launch will make that much difference anyway?

Any advice on how to launch this the most effective way. So far both throttle control launch and just dumping the gas seem to have the same effect/time. Tried launching in 2nd and didn't work very well :)

Not even sure if the launch will make that much difference anyway?

I start in first gear with about 90-95% of the throttle applied. Hold it there until I am ready for second gear. Shifting anywhere between 35 and 42mph. Hope that helps. The best I have achieved is 79mph(usually 78mph)before launch over the crest.

Anyone else have a better way? I would love to hear it.

Apollo - What speed do you achieve at crest with tc on?

can g27 users use the ra functions?

You can't on the G27 as such, but you can map your controller to the same number as your G27 by holding the PS button and selecting "Change Controller", that's what I did for monaco. Unfortunately not practical for things like handbrake, have heard of people strapping the controller to the middle of the G27 and using it that way. But enough if like me you just want to adjust the settings 1st time you start and leave them there once set.

In monaco I simulated a handbrake turn by bigger rear brake bias and doing a "rally hook" countersteer (steer quickly to the opposite direction of the corner and then back into the corner). With the continuous nature of the corners here that tecnique will most likely not work well.

Have heard people mention you're quite quick, and your times already indicate such. Quite a few aussies up there, just not me :sly:

LeftyWright69
I just can't wait for our first off-road event (Hint Hint lol).

I hope so, think I'll go well at the rally events 👍

I start in first gear with about 90-95% of the throttle applied. Hold it there until I am ready for second gear. Shifting anywhere between 35 and 42mph. Hope that helps. The best I have achieved is 79mph(usually 78mph)before launch over the crest.

I can achieve the same speed at the crest (~126/127 kph or ~78/79 mph) without TC and 100% throttle. I shift from 1st to 2nd gear at around 60 kph (~37.28 mph).

Flat out at the start works best for me.

LOL. Just like me to over complicate things. Tried your method of mash and go (tc=0), and it seems to work fine. I am going to stick with my method, just because I am used to it now.

edit: Horst, don't know why your post wasn't there for me a second ago(swore I hit refresh) You and Barny seem to be absolutely correct.

Some of the guys on here are posting they are using a 5/10 brake balance, which requires the RA function. But there are others of us that are using the standard brake balance of 5/5 and are doing just fine. I posted a 34.5xx with 5/5.

I guess it comes down to whether you like extreme brake balances or not.

I don't have any secret for T1 other than just practice. When I get a little wild, and don't stay tight for the apexes, I bleed a bit of time. I also have better luck with the last "s" section before the bridge(at the end of T1) by coming in a little sooner(tighter) on the first corner than the tire marks would suggest.

Ouch, 34.1xx. That's not aliens, even they need to obey the speed of light :scared:

First Splits

A full second faster in T1, damn and I thought I was improving :boggled:
Seem to be on par in T2, using 4/10 to turn the car.
Found just dumping at the line seems to produce the same (and more importantly consistent) start. Going over the crest at about 128k/hr and around 6.8 seconds on the timer.

Any hints for a -35.xxx for T1? I'm baffled. Do the RA functions make the difference?

I know I don't have anything on the board, but I can speak for Eiger, and I did run a few test laps before posting this up.

Line is the most important thing to keep in mind throughout T1.

For the first 2 turns, you want to keep them in tight, even if it means giving up a little speed so you don't run wide. You're going so slow anyhow, that taking a lot of time to take optimum lines that leave you outside don't really pay off. I'm braking relatively early, just after the end of the yellow paint stripes on the left side of the road coming into turn 1. You can push that some, but you really don't want to run deep there. I'm taking both in second gear.

The next right left complex is really the key to T1. Again, second gear for both turns. You can use the edge of the pavement to lock your right front tire in on the first turn, if you get it just right. You want to keep it as tight as possible, to give the best possible entrance for the next turn. The next turn is the very most important for a good T1 AND doesn't hurt for a good T2. It leads onto a long straight, and you want to get the power down as early as possible. Get the car rotated and pointed straight as quickly as possible, and smoothly put the power down to full throttle. If you do it right, you'll be pushing the edge on the right hand side. You're really best off to not dip a tire and lose traction. You can come off track with the right side of the car just a little and still be OK, but if you dip too much, you'll just give it back in lost acceleration.

Hope that theory helps you to put down an improved T1. Some of it is counter intuitive, especially the turn 2 line. Keep the car to the left on exit there and it sets you up for a better turn 3, and you don't end up wasting a bunch of time at low speed going all the way to the right and then coming back in left.

"Havent had time for GT5 in several months" Yeah right.

Welcome back

I always liked Eiger so I knew this was my best opportunity to jump back in - went to bed in 3rd place on the board and looks like someone called out the aliens!!!! :lol:

First go and this is another enjoyable choice (minor annoyance of restarts aside). Got to love this car + tyre combo. Got to love this car full stop in fact.

T1: 35.148
T2: 21.065

Thanks to EDK. I gained a tenth through T1 on my first go after reading your tips and can see where there is more. 👍

Edit:

T1: 35.074
T2: 21.005

Last edited:

I did a different test: I drove straight down that yellow line until I ran into the corner and took note of the time when I hit it. And it turns out that full throttle with TC off is the same as with TC on, as someone else said. (I answered that TC is the best before that test, just 'cause it's the obvious answer.)

New splits:

You mean the one that you quit too early for and have to run again? I won't tell ANYBODY!!! :sly:

I ran it non-stop this morning and had a blast! Thanks for the motivation chuk. The G27 is properly broken in and the new cockpit design is ready. 👍

My first 15 or so laps. I thought it was the perfect time to start with manual driving and wow, why didn't i start this earlier

T1: 35.860
T2: 21.591

It needs more work but i can see some improvement the next days :)

EDK
I know I don't have anything on the board, but I can speak for Eiger, and I did run a few test laps before posting this up.

Line is the most important thing to keep in mind throughout T1.

For the first 2 turns, you want to keep them in tight, even if it means giving up a little speed so you don't run wide. You're going so slow anyhow, that taking a lot of time to take optimum lines that leave you outside don't really pay off. I'm braking relatively early, just after the end of the yellow paint stripes on the left side of the road coming into turn 1. You can push that some, but you really don't want to run deep there. I'm taking both in second gear.

The next right left complex is really the key to T1. Again, second gear for both turns. You can use the edge of the pavement to lock your right front tire in on the first turn, if you get it just right. You want to keep it as tight as possible, to give the best possible entrance for the next turn. The next turn is the very most important for a good T1 AND doesn't hurt for a good T2. It leads onto a long straight, and you want to get the power down as early as possible. Get the car rotated and pointed straight as quickly as possible, and smoothly put the power down to full throttle. If you do it right, you'll be pushing the edge on the right hand side. You're really best off to not dip a tire and lose traction. You can come off track with the right side of the car just a little and still be OK, but if you dip too much, you'll just give it back in lost acceleration.

Hope that theory helps you to put down an improved T1. Some of it is counter intuitive, especially the turn 2 line. Keep the car to the left on exit there and it sets you up for a better turn 3, and you don't end up wasting a bunch of time at low speed going all the way to the right and then coming back in left.

Thanks for the tips, Kevin! Gonna give them a try because I'm going backwards on T1!

With ABS @ 7, BB @ 5/8, I went "flat out" at the line. Used 1st to slow and turn the car at the most technical part of the track 1, 2, and 3 and got the numbers below. :crazy: Hey, I have an excuse....rookie!!! Now I can't get any better numbers.

Also, while at the Doc's office today. I looked back at the GT5 guide on Eiger, and they echo a lot of what you say above. So, time now to digest your advice!!!👍

What were your settings, if you don't mind?

T1: 35.600
T2: 21.225

Latest Posts

Back