GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 7 : First Stop on the Grand Tour

• Thread starter EDK
  • 370 comments
2nd session yielded a small improvement, eventually....took 30 minutes to get within half a second of previous best! Found a groove eventually.... really tough to get it all just right.

T1: 34.890
T2: 21.028

We're not worthy!! Plenty!? Sheesh...

_SHig

haha dont be silly!

tiny bit left in T1, prob a .1 flat or a high .0.

LOTS left in T2, at least a tenth and a half. I had a shocking middle corner.

and once again, T3 is key to this lap. lot of place to gain/lose time.

:scared:This will be :drool: But I will do the best I can.
First lazy times:

T1: 35.913
T2: 21.874

1+2: 57.787

Lot's of practice to do I think so.

First session
T1 : 35.039
T2 : 21.117

I miss my ghost too,allways helps me to shave off a couple off tenths,especially in these low speed corners which I always enter to fast.
Same problem with the qualifier for me.

Thanks for the tips, Kevin! Gonna give them a try because I'm going backwards on T1!

With ABS @ 7, BB @ 5/8, I went "flat out" at the line. Used 1st to slow and turn the car at the most technical part of the track 1, 2, and 3 and got the numbers below. :crazy: Hey, I have an excuse....rookie!!! Now I can't get any better numbers.

What were your settings, if you don't mind?

I'm also going flat out at the line. I also found that to be effective in the License Tests that were from a standing start, where the ghost helps you validate.

1st gear to help with turn in could be used for turns 1 and 2. But you need to just blip it down and right back up again. Turn 3, try a wider entry line, and start getting to the corner sooner. You shouldn't need 1st for that.

I have not messed around with any of the RA functions. My tips were based more on taking the right lines to optimize time through T1. I would use these first, and then see if you can tweak the settings and improve.

Amazing T1 Josh lad 👍

Looks like I may be sitting WRS out for a while... my wheel has started making a rather unpleasant grinding noise on left-handers and when correcting over-steer. I'll open it up tomorrow and see if some grease makes any difference. If not, well I'm stuffed for now - G25 out of guarantee and from what I've read, Logitech don't offer any kind of repair service for this model any more.

Amazing T1 Josh lad 👍

Looks like I may be sitting WRS out for a while... my wheel has started making a rather unpleasant grinding noise on left-handers and when correcting over-steer. I'll open it up tomorrow and see if some grease makes any difference. If not, well I'm stuffed for now - G25 out of guarantee and from what I've read, Logitech don't offer any kind of repair service for this model any more.

Dang, that's not good, Chris! I almost went with a G25 until I read about the "inards" then opted for the G27. Get well soon!! :)

EDK
I'm also going flat out at the line. I also found that to be effective in the License Tests that were from a standing start, where the ghost helps you validate.

1st gear to help with turn in could be used for turns 1 and 2. But you need to just blip it down and right back up again.

Agreed.

EDK
Turn 3, try a wider entry line, and start getting to the corner sooner. You shouldn't need 1st for that.
I have not messed around with any of the RA functions. My tips were based more on taking the right lines to optimize time through T1. I would use these first, and then see if you can tweak the settings and improve.

I will be trying this a little later tonight!
-

Finally, not last in T1. Found almost a second by using first gear in turns 1-3 instead of second. On the downside, lost .1 in T2 over previous best lap.

I'm really not enjoying this combo, but for practice I find using the Practice functionality in GT Mode really helpful.. it's certainly not the same since your tires warm up after the first lap, but you can still get some more laps in easily.

T1: 36.039
T2: 21.486

I really really doubt I'll be golding this event.

Finally, not last in T1. Found almost a second by using first gear in turns 1-3 instead of second. On the downside, lost .1 in T2 over previous best lap.

Glad to see that 1st on 1-3 works well for you as well. In my opinion, turn 3 is the most slowest turn of the course. Patience on turn 3 pays, but awfully hard to do when you have a good run going!

Anxious to see what further results you get as you zoom past me!

For now, the PS3 to bed! :)

First full session for me.

Still just using stock settings.

The car is tough to control properly on the cold tires, looks like I've made it an interesting challenge this week.

First Splits:

T1: 0'35.134
T2: 0'21.274

Getting used to the combo, it's all the waiting that is hard for me. The trophy screen is the worst to stare at. Anyone seen the movie "Nordwand"? That will really make you respect Eiger. Such a sad movie.

Amazing T1 Josh lad 👍

Sorry to hear that Chris!
Hope it's not fatal mate.
See you on the leader board soon!
Cheers All !!!

Improved T1 by .15 or so, but got the EXACT SAME T2. Spooky. Isn't there a trophy for that? :)

Really not getting the hang of this combo....

Im sure by the end of the night tonight ill actually have some splits I can post!! 👍

Got the RA functions activated, now the only problem now is working out what the hell the brake balance does!

My original splits were with 5/5 but I'm sure theres something to gain with a more refined setting, it sucks that you cant really note down T2 properly without loosing focus on the track ahead. And the folowing corner I'm leaving it in 4th.

Hopefully I can get back into the events too, my family and I have just finished moving, so I may submit a time since week 2.

I had a short go today and got a few first splits at 35.XXX to 36.XXX, and a few second splits at about 23.XXX.

I keep finding I'm losing time in the 3rd sector, hopefully I'll find it tomorrow.

Had an incredible T2 to last corner run, maintaining a minimum of 146km/h through the right (no brake, quick downshift to 3rd, upshift to 4th at 150km/h ish, slight drift) Last corner was adequate enough but missed the final apex by 30 cm. Braking for this section, I downshift to 2nd but exit in 3rd at around 78-80km/h, you can drift the final corner or choose to exit with stability, the later was my preferred option. 9,10 bb

Last edited:
Getting used to the combo, it's all the waiting that is hard for me. The trophy screen is the worst to stare at.

I got in the habit of pausing just before the line and hitting restart if I knew I was not going to be faster. I would not suggest resetting if you are not ahead at T2, you'll forget how to drive the last section of track. But pausing before the line and using the restart feature avoids the delay you're talking about and helps maintain rhythm.

Had an incredible T2 to last corner run, maintaining a minimum of 146km/h through the right (no brake, quick downshift to 3rd, upshift to 4th at 150km/h ish, slight drift) Last corner was adequate enough but missed the final apex by 30 cm. Braking for this section, I downshift to 2nd but exit in 3rd at around 78-80km/h, you can drift the final corner or choose to exit with stability, the later was my preferred option.

Welcome back, Dan.

Great splits you have there, and thanks for the helpful tips, as always. 👍

EDK
looks like I've made it an interesting challenge this week.
Haha, that's one way of putting it Kev...:sly:

Sorry to hear that Chris!
Hope it's not fatal mate.
See you on the leader board soon!

Dang, that's not good, Chris! I almost went with a G25 until I read about the "inards" then opted for the G27. Get well soon!! :)
Thanks chaps. :) I cracked the thing open today, which was more fiddly than I expected... typical. Slapped some grease about a bit and stuck it back together... Its not as noisy now but is emmitting a strange odour. Seems to work ok at the moment but I swear it has a deadzone now that it didn't have before. Just a bit of play like you get with a worn track rod end.

Anyway, I managed slightly better splits with a flying T3 that put me up a whole 1 second on the lap.

T1: 34.680
T2: 20.932

Fingers crossed my wheel holds together for this week while I "discuss"* the purchase of a new one with the Treasurer**. I was going for the racing seat gambit this year but if the wheel is goosed, that might be out of the window.

*plead, beg, grovel etc...
**missus

...Anyway, I managed slightly better splits with a flying T3 that put me up a whole 1 second on the lap.

T1: 34.680
T2: 20.932

I wish my wheel was that broken. :lol: Glad you've got it going again though. 👍

I did an hour today and improved my splits by .032. Hurray! Did gain a little bit more on the final sector fortunately.

T1: 35.030
T2: 21.017

I've been nearly .200 up on that in T1 but only the once. Really struggling to be consistent through there.

I wish my wheel was that broken. :lol: Glad you've got it going again though. 👍

:sly: Thanks mate. Technically its not broken but feels a bit loose and smells funny. Its not seeming to affect my driving so far, I just have a feeling its going to let me down fairly soon.

That first sector is a bugger to hit the spot repeatedly aint it...? Hopefullly I can manage better consistency than at Monaco last week. Done about 10 laps today so far and feel more comfortable but I can't see where Josh is gaining 0.6 in T1 :ill:

T:1 34.957
T:2 21.183

started using the paddles to shift this week and I'm surprised at how much difference it makes.

Back