GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 75 : Twin Ring Twin Ring Motegi

• Thread starter EDK
  • 208 comments
My 1st try at this, car is still not broken in. Will get Bob on that tonight. Kevin's road tune and my own oval tune. I will try Kevin's oval tune tomorrow before I post my own.

Al

EDK
I think full HP is about 498, IIRC. MY car was fully broken in at the end of my run today, and it was around that. It takes about 170 miles to break the car in.

170 mile break in eh?

More time to get to learn the track. I'm going to set the car in the oval track with a weight on the accelerator lmao

I kid, I kid.

panchopuga
170 mile break in eh?

More time to get to learn the track. I'm going to set the car in the oval track with a weight on the accelerator lmao

I kid, I kid.

B-spec Indy 500, quit after 80 laps. Just be sure to quit race when the car is on track and not in pits. Better than a brick!!!

B-spec Indy 500, quit after 80 laps. Just be sure to quit race when the car is on track and not in pits. Better than a brick!!!

B-spec! Of course! Dammit I dont know why it didn't occur to me. :lol:

Thanks for the suggestion! :D

Spent quite a while on the super speedway and finally got into the 33's thanks to Kev's tune. Done about ten laps on the road course, again with Kev's tune. Here's my splits so far.

Edit: improved SS time

Last edited:
A few more laps, still not full power yet.

Trying to make my own tune, need to learn how each element effects the ride, I'll post it once I'm happy so you guys can pass judgement :)

Probably still end up using someone else's though :dopey:

Last edited:
On the oval, I was playing around with rear downforce, and there could be a little bit of speed in lowering it from 60 to 55. I don't even remember which one I had it set at when making my fast run.

I'm shifting down to 5th for the tight turn, and I'm wondering if there should be a bit of braking there. Losing so much time to Twissy, and that can't all be down to tune.

My oval tune (so far, probably keep tinkering with it over the week)

RH -10 -10
19.8 16.3
8 7
8 7
6 5
2.5 1.7
0.00 0.20

Aero 35 55

Final 2.275

BB 5/5

I had a go with yours EDK but I couldn't get anywhere near my ghost, may have got the trans wrong though, I copied your road trans and then changed 5th & 6th but it looked wrong on the graph and I adjusted the lower gears to suit

I had a go with yours EDK but I couldn't get anywhere near my ghost, may have got the trans wrong though, I copied your road trans and then changed 5th & 6th but it looked wrong on the graph and I adjusted the lower gears to suit

Only 5th, 6th and the final drive matter.

I just left the other gears as they were, since they don't get used during a flying lap anyhow.

My time on the oval seems pretty hopeless at the moment anyhow, so I'm not sure if my tune is really all that great. I just used the extreme of every trick I know to take out understeer.

I'm unsure of the LSD aspect, I tried an open diff, and I tried some really extreme settings, both ways. But the middle of the road default approach seemed faster.

EDK
I'm unsure of the LSD aspect, I tried an open diff, and I tried some really extreme settings, both ways. But the middle of the road default approach seemed faster.

I haven't touched it yet, my only understanding of LSD is to stop the back end spinning out when exiting turns.

I managed a 33.3 on the oval but then I realised I had Mediums on still :ill: Can't see me getting any faster on it tbh.

To bad we can't bias each wheel independentley then we could get the car to rock around the oval. Two speed power glide w/ lock up converter. stager the rear and spool the dif. neg pos camber on LF pos neg on RF and toed out. left side weight bias. umm..... to only dream..... :lol:

1zb3ypw.jpg

The track scorcher I used to work on :)

Last edited:
I haven't touched it yet, my only understanding of LSD is to stop the back end spinning out when exiting turns.

It's sort of like a clutch for the differential, it distributes torque between the 2 wheels. With an open diff, only 1 wheel gets power. You would not be able to drive a car down the road (successfully) with a completely closed diff (i.e. a spool), as the inside wheel would drag when going around corners. LSD takes some power away from that wheel while turning, but creates a spool like effect when going straight under power or braking.

There are 3 aspects to it -

Initial Torque determines the sensitivity of it - When does it kick in?

Accel sets the degree of the LSD effect under power

Braking sets the degree of the effect while off the power

All of it can give you more grip, but it can also make you understeer. Since we already have downforce, and a race car with race tires, on a banked track, there's a lot working in our favor in terms of grip.

The settings on GT5 are sort of counter intuitive. A "standard" LSD setting is something like 10/20/10. If you lower the middle number (accel) it actually heightens the effect of the LSD, giving you more grip but more understeer.

I tried 5/5/5, but the car pushed too much. I tried all Max settings, and the car felt fine, but my ghost would pull away, suggesting that I was losing a tiny amount of grip that was not even perceptible. Same with the open diff, my LSD aided diff would pull away.

Another thought is that I have not tried active steering, which is sort of like a dynamic LSD. It might be that AS would also help maintain grip when coming out of the corners.

With the oval is just a case of trying to be as smooth a possible with tiny little steering inputs. You need to try and take a straight direct line towards the apex for the first turn and try and hug it all the way around with being within inches of the boundary line.

For the last turn I try to take a wider line and release the throttle, drop down to 5th to bring the nose in, no braking is necessary. Then its a case of just moderating the power so you stay low and dont let the car push on. As for the LSD, I normally pluck some random numbers from the air, think I've gone 10/20/10 on this one.

Something interesting I found on the Road course is that if you drive the car in a similar style to the 370z in the GTA time trial, it tends to be much quicker. I only found this out by fluke, this style of driving tends to suit my style because I normally brake very hard on the front end to get the nose in and rear to rotate.

With the oval is just a case of trying to be as smooth a possible with tiny little steering inputs. You need to try and take a straight direct line towards the apex for the first turn and try and hug it all the way around with being within inches of the boundary line.

For the last turn I try to take a wider line and release the throttle, drop down to 5th to bring the nose in, no braking is necessary. Then its a case of just moderating the power so you stay low and dont let the car push on. As for the LSD, I normally pluck some random numbers from the air, think I've gone 10/20/10 on this one.

Something interesting I found on the Road course is that if you drive the car in a similar style to the 370z in the GTA time trial, it tends to be much quicker. I only found this out by fluke, this style of driving tends to suit my style because I normally brake very hard on the front end to get the nose in and rear to rotate.

Are you using max aero on the Oval, or something else?

I noticed the same thing on the road course, although my execution of it was spotty. This track is as I remember it - Big risk/reward with respect to braking points. Run as deep as you dare, and make up loads of time. But just a bit too late, and give back even more time.

EDK
Are you using max aero on the Oval, or something else?

I noticed the same thing on the road course, although my execution of it was spotty. This track is as I remember it - Big risk/reward with respect to braking points. Run as deep as you dare, and make up loads of time. But just a bit too late, and give back even more time.

For the oval, I have the aero set to maximum front and 50 rear, and for the road course maximum on the front and rear

Using Kevin's tune... no change on the oval.

Not much better, and somehow I got the same T1 on the road course...

I'll try more later today.

Latest splits, not full HP yet. Some improvement.

Here are my latest splits and My/Praiano's Oval tune.

Al

TOYOTA YELLOWHAT YMS SUPRA ‘05
My/Praiano’s Oval tune

Transmission how to process
1- Select default
2- Select final gear at 3000
3- Select top speed at 340 km/h = 211,3 mph
4- Set each gear at this ratio:
1: 3878
2: 2823
3: 2152
4: 1699
5: 1376
6: 1126

Downforce 35/45

LSD Rear 10/25/08

Ride Height -15/ -10

Spring Rate 17.5/17.5
Extension 9/9
Compression 8/8
Anti-roll bars 5/5
Camber 1.6/1.4
Toe 0.00/+0.15

Brake Balance 1/4

Initial runs done. Will post splits when I have time to look over replays for each. No setup on the car yet other than neutralizing the toe, adjusting camber and downforce for each layout.

Enjoying this much more than the 207, not that the 207 is a bad car.

I like the two circuit idea - nice variation between just belting round flat out and precision braking. 👍 I love the Motegi Road circuit and it was one of my favourites in GT4. Braking points are vital here and every corner is a potential black-hole for losing time. Nice car choice though with good stability and traction. :)

Great splits so far gooners and ConRollins 👍 And obviously our resident alien. :P Spent an hour yesterday breaking myself and the car in and another hour tonight to try for a decent lap time. Thank you to EDK for tuning tips and Twissy for driving tips. :cheers: Here's my effort so far:

I'm not sure how close to my limit this is but I hope a few more tenths might be possible between sectors 2 and 3.

Worked only on the oval lap and oval tune tonight, as I did not have time for a long session and my gap to the top on the oval lap was a bit bothersome.

Big changes to the tune, as I took a completely different approach to stabilize the car to allow me to maintain optimum lines. Rear DF is to personal preference, I would suggest between 55 and 60. Try moving it around without changing anything else to see how you compare to your ghost.

EDK Oval Tune
RH -15/-15
Springs 20/20
Damp 10/10 (Both)
ARB 7/7
Camber 3.0/0.0
Toe 0.0/-0.50

LSD 10/15/9

DF 35/57

Transmission - Final all the way right, top speed all the way left, set -

5th 1263
6th 1132
Final 3209

Like Kevin, I worked only on the Oval tonight. Played mostly with the split between 5th and 6th gear to try and get the optimal pulling power out of turn 4 (for those that are not familiar with oval racing, here in the States we break most ovals into a front straight, back straight and four corners. Each real corner being broken down into two. So after crossing the start finish line on the front straight, you enter turn 1 and exit turn 2 onto the back straight. Into turn 3 from the back straight, and exit turn 4 onto the front straight).

Any way, my set up is remarkably similar to Kevins, but I don't have the exact gears right now. Will post them later if they are significantly different than Kev's.

I also took Twissy's advice and concentrated on being as smooth as possible. I think the exercises with the Leaf in the accademy paid off on this one. The smoother the line into and around the turns, the quicker. Try to stay to the outside of that little quirk between 3 and 4, and then follow the line to the start finish line.

Times for the night are:

Still hate that right before the bridge but shaving whole seconds at a time as I learn what wasn't in GT Academy. :eek: Car still barely has miles but is running with the RKM tune for now.

EDK
Worked only on the oval lap and oval tune tonight, as I did not have time for a long session and my gap to the top on the oval lap was a bit bothersome.

Big changes to the tune, as I took a completely different approach to stabilize the car to allow me to maintain optimum lines. Rear DF is to personal preference, I would suggest between 55 and 60. Try moving it around without changing anything else to see how you compare to your ghost.
Thanks for the update on the oval tune. Getting a smooth turn with FFB seems to be my problem. Turns are real jerky. I use FFB=3. Any sugestions?

Sounds like a really good combo to get back into joining the WRS. Will be brushing off the cobwebs & posting times soon

If anyone cares to try it for the oval (I turned a 33.145 with this).

I found the car to push a lot under accel. exiting the corners. This setup is an attempt to minimize the push.

DF max front, min rear.

RH- 10/-15
SR- 13/15
Ext.- 5/9
Comp. - 5/9
RB- 5/7

Camber- 1.5/0.0
Toe- 0.0/0.0

As mentioned earlier, being very smooth on the wheel is a must. On my Fanatec wheel I set the FF at 30(range from 0-100), spring and damper at 3(max.)

Turns 1 & 2 hold as tight as possible without touching the inside of the track surface, try to enter and exit with a smooth arc.

Turns 3 & 4, the key to a good or bad lap. Enter 3 slightly wide, let off the gas a bit early while still in 6th, no braking, turn down towards the apex. Down shift to 5th about 1/3 into the corner, back on the gas hard avoiding the slight curb on the inside. Shift up to 6th when back on the main straight.

Hope this helps anyone that cares to try it.

Thanks for the update on the oval tune. Getting a smooth turn with FFB seems to be my problem. Turns are real jerky. I use FFB=3. Any sugestions?

Hmm, I don't even recall for sure what my FFB is set at anymore with the T500, but 3 sounds right.

Smooth does not necessarily mean slow, especially with the wider of the 2 turns. I decisively point the car in, before the last marker sign that's on the right, heading straight to the apex line and holding it there.

The tighter turn is much trickier, the turn in is a bit later and for me a bit more gradual, especially so that you miss the slight curb others have been mentioning. The technique Blair describes is what I've been trying for as well, and I've had the first split to get a lap similar to his, I just was not able to be as good as my ghost through the tight turn.

When I come back to the oval, I'll end up messing around with gears a bit more, as I think there's more to be gained there.

Ok, after quite awhile being away, I'm back :)

Here are my first lot of splits using kevin's setup 👍

Last edited:
Back