GTP_WRS Online : Saturday Attack - Next Event TBD

• Thread starter Speedy6543
  • 276 comments
Registration open for Saturday Attack format using Indyfinity on May 4th @ 20:00 GMT!

Im in for Saturday night, 20:00 GMT is near enough straight after the academy maybe worth bumping the start time back half hour to give the people chance from the academy to have a rest.

Im in for Saturday night, 20:00 GMT is near enough straight after the academy maybe worth bumping the start time back half hour to give the people chance from the academy to have a rest.

If people prefer that's fine. 20:00 GMT is really just the opening if the lounge with the first race not starting until at least 20:30. But if drivers would prefer we just start at 21:00 we could just fix the start of quali to 21:00 and open the lounge by 20:15 or so.

People have already signed up this week so would prefer to hear from them before moving. Bart suggested this whole thing and asked for 20:00 so that's what I set.

You will probably have more participation from the academy right at 20:00 gmt, we could just jump right in!!! We are usually finished around 15 minutes to the hour so there is a break opportunity before hand. I look forward to giving the attack a go for the first time!

Al

If people prefer that's fine. 20:00 GMT is really just the opening if the lounge with the first race not starting until at least 20:30. But if drivers would prefer we just start at 21:00 we could just fix the start of quali to 21:00 and open the lounge by 20:15 or so.

Whatever people prefer for Saturday night, open the room at eight and see how many join :)

People have already signed up this week so would prefer to hear from them before moving. Bart suggested this whole thing and asked for 20:00 so that's what I set.

Since there are such warm feelings about this combo... is anyone up for a Saturday Attack format race this Saturday after the Academy races? Around 21:00 GMT?
:sly::)

Is anybody able to send me a broken in car?

The car we are using is from the recomended garage, no need for a broken in one for this event :)

Geez... somehow I got mixed up and stated 20:00. Why don't we compromise...

Qualifying will start at 20:45 sharp. That's about 1 hour after the end of the Academy race which will give us plenty of time to record the academy results, adjust the lounge and have some buffer time.

We'll reset the room to clear all times at 20:40 and then open track for a 15 minute open qualification at 20:45. Pit if you like, run as many laps as you like until 21:00 at which point we start the race time and do a grid start with the order PD gives us.

During quali if you stay on track the entire quali session and don't leave to the lobby that should be a proper order, however if you leave the lobby your times are reset. We won't be recording quali times so no steward will have to exit like we do on Wednesday. If someone arrives a little late they can jump on track ASAP and get in at least one hot lap for quali. If someone arrives too late to run a lap they will be put in the back.

I'm at best 50/50 now to make it so someone else will have to be prepared to lead the show which includes using google docs to figure out the race two gaps. Any volunteers for backup directory? If there isn't a steward willing you can always just do a straight reverse grid setup without the gaps. It's simple that way.

I'm at best 50/50 now to make it so someone else will have to be prepared to lead the show which includes using google docs to figure out the race two gaps. Any volunteers for backup directory? If there isn't a steward willing you can always just do a straight reverse grid setup without the gaps. It's simple that way.

I can do the the docs for the gaps if you cant make it, plus I dont have to type as quick a I would have to for Wednesdays races :sly:.

If that 20:45 is going to happen then i might have chance to join you.

Btw: in OP "Specs as in Event 86 modified..." that Event 86 link is incorrect.

OK, made changes per the suggestions (see below). Paul, thanks for being backup... let me know if you have questions on any of the setup. In order to simplify things...

We're going back to old style "open" qualification which will start promptly at 20:45. The track is reset (changed and back) and then open to all drivers for exactly 15 minutes. Drivers enter track when they please and run as many laps as they can before tires wear our or the timer runs out and then park/ghost out of the way. The race timer is started promptly at 15:00 by the race director and then race 1 begins with a simple grid start. Then go with whatever order the system gives us no matter if it's messed up or not.

May 4, 2013

4:45 PM Eastern | 1:45 PM Pacific | 20:45 GMT | Check Local

Qualifying will begin promptly at the time above and the session will last exactly 15 minutes at which point the race countdown timer will be started
The lounge will be set up right after the completion of the Academy - approximately 45 minutes prior to qualification.
Watch this thread for a notification post when the lounge is open for Saturday Attack.

Qualification Procedures

• Type: Live Single Stint Pre-Race Qualifying
  • Setup: The lap times will be reset by changing tracks (and back) 5 minutes prior to the qualification session.
  • Length: 15 minutes. Run as many laps as you desire during the time, however tire changes are NOT allowed which should put a cap on the effective number of laps. The race countdown timer will start at exactly 15:00.000 minutes on the track clock by a steward. Drivers can attempt to finish hot laps until the timer expires. It is our understanding that any laps completed prior to 10 seconds on the timer will count, but those completed at the last seconds of the timer will be ignored by the system.
  • Pits: Closed for service. You should park in pits manually or via start/exit when you are finished running hot laps, but you cannot change tires and return to track. You can also park/ghost on track if you can get sufficiently away from the racing line.
  • Groups: Track is open to all drivers during the session. Drafting is not allowed so space out appropriately or dip out of draft if closing in on someone. When exiting pits be sure to wait for a sufficient gap and stop if necessary to allow drivers on track to pass without interference.
  • Notes: Drivers arriving late can join the quali session at any time during the session. Drivers that do not have time to run at least one hot lap will start in the back. If you exit to the lobby after running a hot lap your times will be reset so stay on the track or in the pits. If a driver DCs during the session they will lose their best lap, however they can rejoin and run another lap (time permitting) or rejoin and start in the back.
  • Corrections: None! Whatever grid order the system gives us will be official... no restarts or formation laps. The second race is reverse grid with gaps so there is some amount of correction built in if you start further back than you should. This is unofficial and just for fun so just go with it!

If that 20:45 is going to happen then i'll could have chance to join you.

Yup, and technically you could join at 20:50 and still have time to run a quali lap or by 21:00 and get in the race starting from the back. Drivers need to be in the pits by the time the countdown timer is at 10 secs.

Not to mention if a driver arrives after race 1 starts they can join the 2nd reverse grid race. In that case they would be put in the front by the system, but will be asked to ghost their car at the start and given a target release time to put them in the appropriate pace group. Wouldn't be much fun if a D1 driver came late, started in the front and drove away alone the entire race. The steward will make the call on the release time per the drivers division/expected pace.

The race timer is started promptly at 15:00 by the race director and then race 1 begins with a simple grid start. Then go with whatever order the system gives us no matter if it's messed up or not.
Normally, if I'm correct, during the 15min quali if you return to the pits for a fresh set of tyres in a normal way - inlap-pit-outlap - (don't hit start to do that) you should keep your leaderboard spot towards the starting grid.

Ofcourse, we never know for sure with GT5. :sly:

Chances are very slim for me to make it as I have a busy Saturday coming.

Normally, if I'm correct, during the 15min quali if you return to the pits for a fresh set of tyres in a normal way - inlap-pit-outlap - (don't hit start to do that) you should keep your leaderboard spot towards the starting grid.

Ofcourse, we never know for sure with GT5. :sly:

Chances are very slim for me to make it as I have a busy Saturday coming.

Yes, it "usually" keeps your time if you pit and return to track without exiting to the lobby. The only confirmed instance where your lap gets reset is if you exit to lobby and return. That happens to me all the time on Wednesday when I exit to record lap times and I end up starting at/near the back.

However, we are not allowing tire changes. The reason being it allows drivers to pit, get fresh rubber and not add fuel and quali turns into who can run the most laps to burn fuel and the last lap on the least fuel load. I'm not a big fan of that setup.

By prohibiting tire changes, the grip gets to a point where drivers can't improve and they park. This leaves room on track for those guys getting their laps in near the end of the session and doesn't provide an advantage to the guys getting on track first.

I think the window on this combo to get a good lap is probably 5 laps after which you won't improve and should park. Hopefully this will allow us to service a fairly full room without "two" separate groups of qualifiers. If not, we'll change it the next time or just extend quali to 20 minutes and start 5 minutes earlier.

In the lounge running a few laps... invited the academy guys to join so tire wear is currently off, but will switch on if nobody shows up.

Looking good for over 11 for the race tonight so it will be held in the 3D3 LOUNGE A with mics disabled.

Qualifying is due to start at 20:45 GMT with the auto race start set for 15 minutes for the first race to start at 21:00 GMT, have fun.

There are 16 registered at this point. If that stays the same I will join (if I can make it) as 3D3-A so we can get 16 in the lounge. I'm only 50% at this point.

All drivers: if you can update your status (% chance) by about 20:00 GMT that would be appreciated so we have a good idea on driver counts. If the registration exceeds 16 it will be first come first serve.

With a full grid tonight by the looks of it LOUNGE A IS OPEN

We've got 17 "registered" now... but a few at 10%/30% and only 5 at 100% so we're actually not expecting that many to show up. Let's see if people update by 20:00 GMT (about an hour from now).

I'd like to join but don't want to take anybody's place.

Ill see around race time if grid is full.

Quali starting in a bit more than 15 minutes. Please arrive in the A lounge early... there are quite a few and already dealing with loading bars and such... Missing Al, Bart, Noize and Ren.

EDIT: Only Al and Ren missing. We are going to run normal 2 hot lap quali given the number of drivers... two groups so you have time to join... we start quali in about 3 mins.

EDIT: Group 2 quali just about finished. Starting first race. You other guys are free to join for race 2.

Last edited:
Fun racing guys. A bit crazy, but fun.

Here are the overall results:

event86_res_sat.png

And the individual race results:

event86_res_sat1.png
event86_res_sat2.png

Let us know if you notice any errors... it's all unofficial anyway with this format which is just for fun.

Holty and Ren didn't register a race 1 result so they show up at the bottom in the totals.

:cheers:

OMG! I didnt win? lol. I had no idea noize was so close to me. In fact, was your off near the end part in due to the fact that we were inside each other Wes? Haha, I honestly thought I had won the second race.

Amazing that we ended that close to each other! Would have snuck into 4th as well if I had managed that 1st place bonus ;)

OMG! I didnt win? lol. I had no idea noize was so close to me. In fact, was your off near the end part in due to the fact that we were inside each other Wes? Haha, I honestly thought I had won the second race.

Amazing that we ended that close to each other! Would have snuck into 4th as well if I had managed that 1st place bonus ;)

I just remembered you and noize couldn't see each other! You were basically on top of each other for the last lap (at least and probably longer). Poor Wes took the brunt of it as he was right with you and unfortunately for him, he saw both of you colliding non stop... must have caused him to go off in that last lap at minimum. I have to get that on video... both of you were even smashing each other on the parade lap. :lol:

I watched a replay of both races and it was pretty awesome stuff.

PS> With the reverse grid thing having one of you leave the room would have screwed up the start... but we'll have to do that instead next time. The guy who leaves and starts on pole can just ghost until his time. Better that than repeat this which basically didn't impact you guys, but made a mess of Wes' race.

PPS> Poor Wes also got the bad end of a train of small contacts in the first race on turn 1... no individual contact was significant, but in the end it was three wide and he got shoved into the grass. Wes and I had by far the worst grid starts and both of us were going backward quickly. I had actually forgotten about the grid starts and wasn't sure how to best launch this car and just messed it up. Had I started better I'm pretty sure I could have stuck with Bart and Ghost with the big draft assist... but once behind 3 other guys it took 11 laps to get back to 3rd where I started. I much prefer rolling starts. :sly:

Last edited:
Nice to see an overall result splitting the first two with only 0.5 sec and race 2 with 0.1 sec. 👍

oink83

Wow, so close Paul ;)
It's a pity we couldn't see each other. I'm very sorry for Wes that we ruined his race. This combo was so much fun, alltough the first race was a total mess up for me, made to many errors.
Also nice to see so many people coming out for the Attack format 👍

See you soon on track.

yes,we should do this more often.:)

The racing was a blast.

axgt2s.jpg

Wow, so close Paul ;)
It's a pity we couldn't see each other. I'm very sorry for Wes that we ruined his race. This combo was so much fun, alltough the first race was a total mess up for me, made to many errors.
Also nice to see so many people coming out for the Attack format 👍

See you soon on track.

Yeh, I know what you mean, our pace was obviously very similar would have been much better to be able to battle. And yes, so sorry Wes and anyone else that might have been affected by that stupid issue.

Back